2012 Formula One United States Grand Prix

Alonso has had his moments too. But Vettel's whining cracks me up, because he sounds like an angry teenager over the radio. I still have the "what is he doing? He's stopping all the time" bit replaying in my head.

Exactly. I get enough of that from my kids. Don't want to hear a grown ass man doing it.
Only thing he has to do is put his head down and go for the championship. A little work brings out character. :-D

Found this, pretty cool shot.

original.jpg

Damn, it's going to be hard to adjust to seeing Lewis flying Mercedes colours next year..

Awesome pic! Wish they'd renegotiate that deal. :sly:

I was just browsing some of the, uh, less-reliable sources available on the internet, and I had to have a laugh at this story from Saturday afternoon. People have asked me why I think very little of Paul di Resta. Well, this story is proof his inflated ego. He explains his poor qualifying performance away and manages to pay himself a massive compliment in the process, claiming that he only qualified in thirteenth because his driving style is "too smooth". I suppose that's the reason why he only finished fifteenth, too ...

Rule #1 of GTP F1 Threads:
If Vettel wins, it's the car. If anyone else wins, it's the driver. Period.

So so so so true!

Reading through this thread it's quite funny seeing all the grumpy Vettel fans, no he didn't come 2nd (which is still a good result as he has further increased his lead) because traffic held him up, he came second because Hamilton out drove him. Simple.

But having said that I'm wanting Vettel to win the championship purely because we can all rub it in the faces of the Alonso fans that apparently 'hate' Vettel's guts. And are wishing mechanical failures on someone despite their incredible hard work over the course of the season, producing a number of great drives, consistently outperforming his team mate etc, purely because they don't like his personality. Seriously? Look at when Alonso was at Mclaren with Hamilton, how did Alonso behave then?

I don't particularly like Button's personality, my girlfriend and her family were good friends with Button's a looooong while ago, they used to go round each other's houses and what not. And I have never heard them say one positive thing about Jenson, and the things they do say I can see come across in his television interviews and the way he is on screen.
Does that make me like him less as a driver? Of course it doesn't, his personality has absolutely nothing to do with his driving, and performances on the track. His performances coupled with the fact I was brought up in, and still live in his home town means I support him.

People need to overlook their petty grudges.

I think Schumacher is a great example, (during his prime and time with Ferrari) he isn't known for being the "nice guy" or anything of the sort, off and on the track, yet that doesn't make him a bad driver, sure his car was great, but a great car can only be so great without a proper driver right?

So so so so true!

Reading through this thread it's quite funny seeing all the grumpy Vettel fans, no he didn't come 2nd (which is still a good result as he has further increased his lead) because traffic held him up, he came second because Hamilton out drove him. Simple.

But having said that I'm wanting Vettel to win the championship purely because we can all rub it in the faces of the Alonso fans that apparently 'hate' Vettel's guts. And are wishing mechanical failures on someone despite their incredible hard work over the course of the season, producing a number of great drives, consistently outperforming his team mate etc, purely because they don't like his personality. Seriously? Look at when Alonso was at Mclaren with Hamilton, how did Alonso behave then?

I don't particularly like Button's personality, my girlfriend and her family were good friends with Button's a looooong while ago, they used to go round each other's houses and what not. And I have never heard them say one positive thing about Jenson, and the things they do say I can see come across in his television interviews and the way he is on screen.
Does that make me like him less as a driver? Of course it doesn't, his personality has absolutely nothing to do with his driving, and performances on the track. His performances coupled with the fact I was brought up in, and still live in his home town means I support him.

People need to overlook their petty grudges.

Really?
I rank Button alongside Webber as the two most mature drivers with the best personalities.

Speaking of Webber... To put it into perspective of how dirty the dirty line was at the start, Webber moved up a position. :lol:

I use to think Vettel was a OK guy, he changed my mine today...
The whining, O' my god, the whining.
Winning three World Championships tends to bring with it a semi-formalised recognition that you are one of the greats of the sport. But I think Vettel's reaction over the radio yesterday demonstrates why people don't take him seriously as a driver - he comes across as quite childish when things don't go his way. My first thought when he got on the radio to complain about Karthikeyan was that he was a bad sport. I know all the drivers have a whinge about it from time to time, but given the time delay of the radio transmissions, I think Vettel was on the radio the moment Hamilton was past him. And the anger in his voice made him sound petulant.

One of the best times of my life. I'm a huge Hamilton fan, there with my buddy Brad who's just as much a fan, both of us rocking H.A.M hats 8D it was such a freaking amazing result for me, everything was worth it, can't thank people enough. Austin was super amazing itself, blew every one away.

I have no voice now after screaming for Hamilton to push for the most part. I was in turn 19 soaking in the epic. Highly highly recommend heading to Austin for this, you'll not be disappointed my friends.

We didn't know if Lewis would pull it off especially after he started to fall behind more and more at the top of their first stint. Then he just kept doing a bit better than Vettel in S1 but matching for the most part in the other sectors which Seb was quick though, but he kept having faster laps, purple purple royal ownage in fact. That pass, Buttonms many battles, Kimi's relentless awesome defense, getting to witness one of Alonso's famous super starts, seeing Perez climb his way up, the AMAZING close pass Senna and Maldanado did in T1, the crazy fight for P8. The only real drawback for me was Mark's retirement (I screamed out, "wrong car!"), he crossed by on the moped right in front of us. But the cowboy hats made up for any sadness xD.

Cheers guys, can't wait for next year, also, next week! Hoping Vettel's alternator busts.
Wowww.....👎👎👎👎

Okay, here's a hypothetical for you:

You are Mark Webber. It is lap 61 or 71 of the Brazilian Grand Prix, and you are currently sitting third, thirty seconds behind Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton. Behind you is your friend Fernando Alonso, and he has been within range of DRS for the past five laps. Sebastian Vettel has retired from the race, and it all comes down to you. If you finish in third, Vettel is champion. If Alonso catches you, he is champion. Just as you are about to start lap 62, Christian Horner sends you a message that implies (but never outright states) that if you do not finish in third, you will lose your seat in 2013.

What do you do?

I was just browsing some of the, uh, less-reliable sources available on the internet, and I had to have a laugh at this story from Saturday afternoon. People have asked me why I think very little of Paul di Resta. Well, this story is proof his inflated ego. He explains his poor qualifying performance away and manages to pay himself a massive compliment in the process, claiming that he only qualified in thirteenth because his driving style is "too smooth". I suppose that's the reason why he only finished fifteenth, too ...

I believe thats a result of the double pit-stop. :dunce:

Did you watch the race?

Or let Teflonso through and pick up the #2 seat at Ferrari for next year.

He'd still be second fiddle, but at least he'd partner someone he likes.

[/Tin hat]

Paul is always very quick to make up an excuse every time he's outperformed by Nico.

It may be a little late to bring up now, but anyone else thought that the crash at the start in Abu Dhabi was Paul's fault?

Wait for traffic. Cry about DRS on radio after Alonso passes...

(Kidding. 1st Webber would never just let him by and 2nd Alonso would find a way by anyway)

Exactly. I get enough of that from my kids. Don't want to hear a grown ass man doing it.
Only thing he has to do is put his head down and go for the championship. A little work brings out character. :-D

Difference being Alonso controls his emotion a bit more when whinging.

Great race, Hamilton was on fire, he's nuts going to Mercedes. I wonder what Grosjean could have done without making tarmac donuts.

Why does Karthikeyan have a racing license? Didn't they rescind Yamamoto's after several instances like yesterday?

Why does Karthikeyan have a racing license? Didn't they rescind Yamamoto's after several instances like yesterday?

NK is not that bad. Sure he will never score points (the 2005 US GP does not really count), but you have to consider the car he is driving.

What was he to do? Jump off of the track? He had nowhere to go in that sector, Charlie Whiting said he did nothing wrong so please leave Cucumber alone.

Difference being Alonso controls his emotion a bit more when whinging.

Great race, Hamilton was on fire, he's nuts going to Mercedes. I wonder what Grosjean could have done without making tarmac donuts.

Letting a driver pass in sector 1 of that track is damn near impossible, we saw during practise that it took the faster cars up to half a lap to plus the slower ones. Bear in mind also that Karthikeyan was trying to keep in touch with de la Rosa at that time and had he gone off-line to let them through he'd have slid straight off track.

Staying up until the end of the race is worth! Tense midfield race thanks to Schumi train and the battle between Vettel and Hammy.

Hammy totally deserve his win. 👍

After Singapore and Abu Dhabi, it's more than deserved.

Yes, this is what i meant. 👍
If he win the last race, it's a nice farewell. Though i just need Vettel to grab that title. Or Alonso...either who is fine but i'm more to that kid. :boggled:

Letting a driver pass in sector 1 of that track is damn near impossible, we saw during practise that it took the faster cars up to half a lap to plus the slower ones. Bear in mind also that Karthikeyan was trying to keep in touch with de la Rosa at that time and had he gone off-line to let them through he'd have slid straight off track.

There's still a non-racing line, even if it is one continuous corner.

There's still a non-racing line, even if it is one continuous corner.

But it's covered in marbles, he'd have gone straight off track. Going off-line in such a technical section would have put him out of rhythm too.

Kimi Raikkonen passed Nico Hulkenberg there just fine, without needing a hand from him.

Back