2012 Formula One United States Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by astrosdude91, Nov 13, 2012.

1. priesty_lfc

priesty_lfc

Yes. Really.

Sorry, unfortunately the times don't lie.

You really can't stand the fact Ferrari are doing well and Alonso is still in the championship.

From your post across the forum you talk a lot of sense however your views of what's happened today are completely off.

2. Samus

Samus

No, they're not. I am astounded that you can decide the Red Bull is faster simply because it was ahead. What about when Hamilton got past and maintained the lead, did he still have the fastest car then? How could he, he was behind him?

Yes it was fastest over a single lap but that's with low fuel and full use of DRS, race pace is completely different and Red Bull don't have as big an advantage there. Ferrari clearly have much better race pace than quali pace.

Really it makes no sense, anyone with a clear, unbiased head can see those two cars, driven by two very good drivers were pretty evenly matched today. They were within a second of each other for a good 80% of the time. If the Red Bull had a clear advantage as you insinuate he would have strolled away like he has done in the past.

3. hornet_burnout

hornet_burnout

Alonso also did good, considering...

IMO WDC contenders were at 95% pace, just keeping it as fast as reasonably possible, seeing what would come out of this.

Hamilton had nothing to loose so he was gunning for it. As was Massa, Button and others.

4. Centura

Centura Premium

I seriously can't comprehend why Vettel appear to be the most hated driver in F1. And no, that's not an invitation to list 101 reasons why that is so.

Anyway, we FINALLY got a podium with Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel (any combination) on it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that after practice I feared we would have the kind of driving standard that we had in Abu Dhabi, but everyone drove extremely clean and fair.

EDIT2: By the way, Hermann Tilke didn't design this track. Tavo Hellmund did.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  5. hornet_burnout

hornet_burnout

Vettel has the gift of passion... People either love him or hate him. Passionately.

6. CarolinaBlue704

CarolinaBlue704

I think Hamilton and Vettel drove fantastic. No other driver was even in sight of those two for most of the race. I really enjoyed watching them go at it.

We need some rain in Brazil!

7. priesty_lfc

priesty_lfc

There evenly matched or the McLaren is fastest? Make your mind up.

The RedBull was faster as per all the times posted. When Lewis did get past it was because Seb's lead was compromised by traffic. If he caught the traffic at a different point on the track he would have remained in front.

Once behind how do YOU know he didn't decide not to risk going for the overtake? You don't, he still decided to set the fastest lap tho. RedBull was the fastest car today. That's it.

8. Signal52

Signal52

Bernie is terrible with interviews. :lol:

9. m8h3r

m8h3r Premium

Just about to say this. He looks like a sheep in headlights.

10. hornet_burnout

hornet_burnout

A sheared sheep with a wool rug on his head, in headlights.

11. Samus

Samus

Both Ferrari's set faster lap times than both McLarens. Does that mean the Ferrari's were faster than the McLaren's? fastest laps really don't tell a full story, they're set at the end of the race when the fuel is the lowest and the track is as rubbered in as it is all weekend.

Well whatever, you believe what you want to believe, I know with my eyes those cars were evenly matched.

12. albteman015

albteman015

Good for him. That is the way to win a championship at this stage. He was going to be ahead of Alonso regardless and that is what matters in the big picture. Why risk it and ruin the title for yourself? I was surprised at the Karthikeyan complaint after he was passed. There was really no need for that but when the adrenaline is going......

If Vettel wins the title again he will be the youngest to ever win back to back to back titles. As if just being in that category isn't prestigious enough as it is. Congratulations to him if it happens because whether or not you have the quickest car, it is still quite an accomplishment.

So if they were evenly matched then that would still show that Hamilton out-drove Vettel today. Even though Vettel was most likely being more conservative. Nevertheless both drivers were pushing very hard. They finished way ahead of the rest of the field.

P.S. Traffic is not a valid excuse for any champion. A well rounded driver should know when to overtake traffic so it does compromise his race. And in some cases they use it to their advantage. example:

13. Centura

Centura Premium

And he will beat that record by 6 years, I think. It's also Alonso's last year to be able to beat it.

14. hornet_burnout

hornet_burnout

Thing is, I was not kidding, Seb does bring out the fanboy and the hater in 'you' when he opens his mouth.

Fans see an explanation and excuse, haters see excuses and a sore loser.

15. priesty_lfc

priesty_lfc

No they don't but free practice/quali and the race does and the RedBull was fastest in all of these.

Yes they are evenly matched (you said the McLaren was faster tho) but the RedBull had the advantage even if it is slight, they are both great drivers (But Lewis is better IMO)

As I said before, I respect a lot of your posts thought the forum but I can't agree with you on this.

16. DaxCobra

DaxCobra

Red Bull was definitely the fastest package this weekend. Hamilton just drove better.

End of story.

17. Ardius

Ardius

Well lets be fair - Kobayashi didn't do much either sadly.

I feel that a lot of this race was made by the tyre choices, especially the first 10 laps which were based on everyone scrabbling for grip and making mistakes.

But certainly we saw some great fights and passing mainly from Button.

Unsurprising chop from Schumacher again, maybe if we were going to pick the worst driver today probably him just for that? I mean not much else to really criticise as you say.

18. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Premium

Do you not realize that you were the one who originally claimed that Vettel was passed by the "faster car" (which is just as baseless as lfc's claim). lfc simply countered your statement with saying Sebastian had the fastest car. How ironic :lol:

19. NissanSkylineN1

NissanSkylineN1

Is it safe to say that Vettel pretty much won this championship?

20. wajdi1977

wajdi1977

I'm saying it again,Vettel was too much conservative and I fear that this will cost him the championship!

21. wajdi1977

wajdi1977

No.

22. gogatrs

gogatrs

Nothing.

23. albteman015

albteman015

I disagree. Webber got a dnf because of the car's unreliability. Pushing even harder ( he was already pushing quite a lot) Would have been a mistake because it could have cause some mechanical failure or him making a mistake and losing a few spots or maybe getting a dnf himself. The smart thing to do is take what you can get. His machine is better then the Ferrari so he has two advantages going into Brazil. The other would of course be his lead. What would you be saying if something like happened? Vettel did what he had to do.

24. Müle

Müle Premium

Your crying is almost as bad as Sebs.

25. m8h3r

m8h3r Premium

With a dry brazil and no retirements/crashes, yes. With rain, no. With a crash or retirement which is very possible at brazil then this is still wide open. I for one am hoping for rain to even out the sides.

26. F1GTR

F1GTR Premium

27. hornet_burnout

hornet_burnout

Well, I'd love to stay and chat but I have NASCAR and WTCC to catch up on.

Later guys...

28. gogatrs

gogatrs

I must say, this has been much more of a Grand Prix of Texas than a Grand Prix of the United States...

29. Ardius

Ardius

I think all in all that was the best we could have expected for a brand new track and race in the US. I hope its enough to get the interest back in, maybe sponsors, teams, drivers or dare I say a return of some manufacturers...surely Ford is going to come back one day?
    Wouldn't mind Goodyear coming back either one day.

I really hope the New Jersey race gets sorted as I was looking forward to that layout.

30. wajdi1977

wajdi1977

Loll...epic fail:lol: