2012 Formula One United States Grand Prix

So so so so true!

Reading through this thread it's quite funny seeing all the grumpy Vettel fans, no he didn't come 2nd (which is still a good result as he has further increased his lead) because traffic held him up, he came second because Hamilton out drove him. Simple.

But having said that I'm wanting Vettel to win the championship purely because we can all rub it in the faces of the Alonso fans that apparently 'hate' Vettel's guts. And are wishing mechanical failures on someone despite their incredible hard work over the course of the season, producing a number of great drives, consistently outperforming his team mate etc, purely because they don't like his personality. Seriously? Look at when Alonso was at Mclaren with Hamilton, how did Alonso behave then?

I don't particularly like Button's personality, my girlfriend and her family were good friends with Button's a looooong while ago, they used to go round each other's houses and what not. And I have never heard them say one positive thing about Jenson, and the things they do say I can see come across in his television interviews and the way he is on screen.
Does that make me like him less as a driver? Of course it doesn't, his personality has absolutely nothing to do with his driving, and performances on the track. His performances coupled with the fact I was brought up in, and still live in his home town means I support him.

People need to overlook their petty grudges.

You should have seen the endless wishes for Alonso to DNF in the early-mid parts of the season.

With a dry brazil and no retirements/crashes, yes. With rain, no. With a crash or retirement which is very possible at brazil then this is still wide open. I for one am hoping for rain to even out the sides.

Brazilian national weather agency currently has rain predicted for saturday and sunday. Of course that can change through the week, too early to predict yet... specially when talking about São Paulo and the circuit area.

http://www.cptec.inpe.br/cidades/tempo/244

Driver of the day, Massa for me. After the 5 place grid drop, to then put it to the back of his mind and do that, good stuff.

Starting 6th, there were concerns he would be easily pushed back to 8th. Starting 11th, they thought he would easily climb back to at least 9th, so not a big difference. If I was not fighting for anything I would not complain a lot about losing five grid places as well... That is why he quickly forgot about it.

Turned out 6th place starter Hulkenberg was able to mantain his position on the first lap, but only because Raikkonnen got pushed by Schumacher, so not a big difference in the end...

Last edited:
I'd say this was a great race, Hamilton certainly seems a whole lot more relaxed recently, which is great to see.

This is the Hamilton that I like, that focuses hard on the racing itself, and is being sincerely happy,

not the insecure, acting indifferent, hissy-fit one we saw in for most of 2011, the Spa 2012 Twitter fiasco, or his quite big indifference towards his Monza 2012 victory.

Hope to see him keep this up. 👍

A lot of quality overtaking moves at many parts of the track, especially the ones at T1-T2 and the Hockenheim section. Brilliant track, awesome race, love it. Nice podium hats too :D

I'm really impressed with Felipe's massively improved form these past few races. I hope that he can pull something in Brazil or even next season, because I think we're seeing the old 2007/08 Massa again.

I'm going to have a tenner on Felipe winning in Brasil. At 66/1 it's got to be worth a punt.

Agreed!

Before his accident Massa was very impressive at Interlagos, now he seems to be comfortable back in the seat of the Ferrari he is definitely a dark horse!

My first F1 race in person was brilliant!!!

We stalked hotels too (I'm in the Red Bull gear in each picture):

IMG_9182 by astrosdude91, on Flickr

IMG_9184 by astrosdude91, on Flickr

IMG_9202 by astrosdude91, on Flickr

IMG_9204 by astrosdude91, on Flickr

Bad focus :yuck:

IMG_9481 by astrosdude91, on Flickr

IMG_9495 by astrosdude91, on Flickr

IMG_9498 by astrosdude91, on Flickr

IMG_9508 by astrosdude91, on Flickr

EJ, Martin Witmarsh, and Sam Michael all having a chat:

IMG_9509 by astrosdude91, on Flickr

IMG_9511 by astrosdude91, on Flickr

Patrick Dempsey:

IMG_9512 by astrosdude91, on Flickr

Ron Dennis:

IMG_9606 by astrosdude91, on Flickr

No picture, but I did also meet Mark Webber and Sir Jackie Stewart. :D

IMG_9615 by astrosdude91, on Flickr

We also saw Christian Horner, Adrian Newey, Stefano Domenicali, Vijay Mallaya, and Carlos Slim. No autographs or pictures from them though.

Best high five ever
original.gif

what was even more funny was the arabian commentator trying to immitate sayinh high five in a texan accent laughed for 2 straight minutes

Best high five ever
original.gif

what was even more funny was the arabian commentator trying to immitate sayinh high five in a texan accent laughed for 2 straight minutes

Pah you should have heard David Coulthard on the BBC...

For all those that want to add this "High Five" If you can call it that to your favourites and then post it in other websites or just show your friends to shame these two then here is the link. :lol:

Link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54BE76R-RZI&hd=1

Enjoy :)

Rule #1 of GTP F1 Threads:
If Vettel wins, it's the car. If anyone else wins, it's the driver. Period.
Vettel is really fast, but also incredibly lucky to have a car like that. Vettel just completed his 100th GP. Mika Häkkinen, for example, took his first win in his 96th GP. Many people considers Häkkinen as an F1-legend, but I wouldn't call Vettel a legend yet. Here's some statistics between them, which hopefully helps some people to understand the difference between "old-school" F1 and modern F1.

Mika Häkkinen ("old-school")

165 races
2 championships (during Schumachers Golden age)
20 wins
51 podiums
26 poles
25 fastest laps

Sebastian Vettel (simulator era)

100 races
2 championships (three soon)
26 wins
46 podiums
36 poles
15 fastest laps

Last edited:
Vettel is really fast, but also incredibly lucky to have a car like that.
Let's be honest, that's no suprise. A team like RBR isn't going to contract a slow driver. And neither are Ferrari or any other top team. But I suppose that Vettel would have more fans if he wasn't contracted by an "upstart" like RBR, but by a more "prestigious" team. Ferrari, McLaren, you get the idea.

It's hard to tell which cars is the fastest and what's down to the driver's ability. All I know for sure is that Vettel posted very impressive results back when he was in Formel BMW, where everyone did drive the very same car. He also did perform well while he was with Torro Rosso. And back then, he seriously wasn't carried by his car.

Why does Karthikeyan have a racing license? Didn't they rescind Yamamoto's after several instances like yesterday?

No, that was Yuji Ide.

Karthikeyan is a far more accomplised driver than this:

I think you'd have to go back to Ricardo Rosset or someone to find someone as laughably bad.

Comparing Narain to these guys is beyond joking.

Last edited:
Let's be honest, that's no suprise. A team like RBR isn't going to contract a slow driver.

What about Webber? He is certainly fading away, unless there's something "tin-foil hat" things happening inside Red Bull team.

I don't decline Vettels talent. He is just really lucky to have a car like that to break records at that age.

Let's be honest, that's no suprise. A team like RBR isn't going to contract a slow driver. And neither are Ferrari or any other top team. But I suppose that Vettel would have more fans if he wasn't contracted by an "upstart" like RBR, but by a more "prestigious" team. Ferrari, McLaren, you get the idea.

It's hard to tell which cars is the fastest and what's down to the driver's ability. All I know for sure is that Vettel posted very impressive results back when he was in Formel BMW, where everyone did drive the very same car. He also did perform well while he was with Torro Rosso. And back then, he seriously wasn't carried by his car.

Everybody loves an underdog.

A lot of people loved Schumacher when he was battling against a superior Williams. Fast forward 7-8 years and he was widely hated because he always dominated. This is the same problem with Vettel.

It doesn't really matter what team he's a part of. The car performance is what matters. Vettel has had the fastest car for most of the past 4 years (Except the beginnings of 2009 and 2012). Vettel was the underdog in the slower car in 2008 and the early part of 2009. His fanbase grew rapidly as people began to appreciate his talent when in a not so competitive car. But as he won two consecutive world championships in the fastest car, people have started to despise him.

Yes, he hasn't had the fastest car for all of this year, but on average they have only been slower than Hamilton's Mclaren which is much more prone to reliability issues (Like the 2009 and 2010 RBR). So in other words, he's had the best package overall underneath him.

In contrast to Vettel, support for Alonso has improved massively since his popularity low in 2007. People say it's because he has matured but I kind of disagree, I feel there is more to it. Now I never did like Alonso when he was with Renault or Mclaren, but the past few years at Ferrari he has shown that he is one of the best, if not the best driver on the grid. He's done this in a car that has never been quite as good as the Red Bull or the Mclaren, except for the odd race (Hockenheim 2010 comes to mind).

I can guarantee that had Alonso been in the fastest car and winning those championships, he would be as much despised as Vettel. Likewise, had Vettel been in the Ferrari and finishing 2nd or 3rd in the championship each season, he would be more of a fan favourite today. When a driver is winning, people love to hate them. Not all F1 fans like predictable racing, even if it's their favourite driver at the helm.

I'm not a fan of Vettel, but earlier this season I saw some of the best racing in the F1 field from him. I thought he was driving beyond the car, particularly his performance in Spain. I know he's a good driver, one of the best infact. But when he gets into that Red Bull and blitzes the field I really hate him. He needs a bit of ballast to even the field out, because watching him dominate for several consecutive races is really boring (Thank god his streak was broken in Abu Dhabi). At the start of this year things were looking good. There was 6-7 teams capable of taking a win. Mclaren looked to be the fastest but only on certain track layouts. Since Singapore though, Vettel has had the car underneath him to dominate once again. What looked to be one of the most exciting championships in recent years has come down to Vettel leading the championship for the final race, in the fastest car. I doubt even Alonso can snatch it from him at this point; it's pretty much a foregone conclusion so long as Vettel finishes the race.

Last edited:
In contrast to Vettel, support for Alonso has improved massively since his popularity low in 2007. People say it's because he has matured but I kind of disagree, I feel there is more to it. Now I never did like Alonso when he was with Renault or Mclaren, but the past few years at Ferrari he has shown that he is one of the best, if not the best driver on the grid. He's done this in a car that has never been quite as good as the Red Bull or the Mclaren, except for the odd race (Hockenheim 2010 comes to mind).

Could be down to his social media presence too, his Twitter feed is pretty funny with him goofing about (this made me chuckle when he first tweeted it) and his Instagram feed is full of interesting photos. I bet if Vettel took to social media he'd be much more liked, dominant or not, especially considering how likeable he is in interviews.

Luminis

Woah Woah Woah ... I will agree that RBR isn't a legendary team yet but everything else I disagree with.

Sebastian Vettel has re-written the history books and claimed almost every record. It has been claimed that he is on a Schumacher and Ayrton Senna level (especially on 2011). Now sure his name isn't as big and well known but give him another championship or more and 10 or so years and I bet he will be recognized as one of the all time greats.

'Rubbish' I hear you say, well as much as I like Webber, Vettel has wiped the floor with him all last year and most of this year. They are suppose to be the same car, just different setups, but the pace of Vettel has surpassed the expectations of the team.

I'll finish by saying that Ferrari and McLaren have both claimed that Red Bull, and especially Vettel are seriously quick. And in my opinion what Ferrari did today with the grid was purely cheating in sheer desperation.

People will say 'ahh but Alonso said he was racing Adrian Newey rather than Vettel', so why is it that he isn't racing Webber as well as Vettel? Reliability? Both have had roughly the same problems. It has been down to the fact that Vettel is quick and is managing to stay out of mid field traffic meaning less chances of incidents. So at the moment it is clear that Red Bull possibly just has the edge over McLaren and Ferrari, but the reason Vettel is up there is because he is clearly quicker than the rest at most Grand Prix.

Last edited:
Are sure you're directing your response at the correct person? :odd: Luminis brought up completely reasonable points, giving credit where credit's due... and you decide to jump in with a bunch of petty nonsense, mostly of which has nothing to do with what Luminis said.

Btw, nice pics astrodude 👍

Woah Woah Woah ... I will agree that RBR isn't a legendary team yet but everything else I disagree with.

Sebastian Vettel has re-written the history books and claimed almost every record. It has been claimed that he is on a Schumacher and Ayrton Senna level (especially on 2011). Now sure his name isn't as big and well known but give him another championship or more and 10 or so years and I bet he will be recognized as one of the all time greats.

'Rubbish' I hear you say, well as much as I like Webber, Vettel has wiped the floor with him all last year and most of this year. They are suppose to be the same car, just different setups, but the pace of Vettel has surpassed the expectations of the team.

I'll finish by saying that Ferrari and McLaren have both claimed that Red Bull, and especially Vettel are seriously quick. And in my opinion what Ferrari did today with the grid was purely cheating in sheer desperation.

People will say 'ahh but Alonso said he was racing Adrian Newey rather than Vettel', so why is it that he isn't racing Webber as well as Vettel? Reliability? Both have had roughly the same problems. It has been down to the fact that Vettel is quick and is managing to stay out of mid field traffic meaning less chances of incidents. So at the moment it is clear that Red Bull possibly just has the edge over McLaren and Ferrari, but the reason Vettel is up there is because he is clearly quicker than the rest at most Grand Prix.

That is the most Eddie Jordan type of post I've seen... ever.

What about Webber? He is certainly fading away, unless there's something "tin-foil hat" things happening inside Red Bull team.

Webber is a pretty solid number 2 driver. And when he out-qualifies Vettel, he botches the start so they will never have to break his gearbox seal.

Webber is pretty good at botching his start even when he qualifies behind Vettel.

Both in pure race pace and qualifying, Vettel usually has the measure of Webber, except on those odd occassions when Webber's driving style and set-up work better over the weekend

Massa's a real trooper. But then it's late enough in the season for drivers to accept these things. My championship run is over, let's get my partner the WDC. :D

Thoroughly enjoyable race, absolutely love the track. Superb drive by Hamilton and a well deserved win, was also really impressed by Massa. :lol: at Vettel's dummy spit, but kudos to him for the congratulatory hand clap for Hamilton at the end on the cool down lap. :D

I'm pretty impressed with Grosjean too this race. Despite that spin, and the flatspots, he made an EXCELLENT recovery in making the most out of the race.

Everybody loves an underdog.

A lot of people loved Schumacher when he was battling against a superior Williams. Fast forward 7-8 years and he was widely hated because he always dominated. This is the same problem with Vettel.

I disagree..

I love seeing Michael dominating in every race! I don't know why really. Maybe because he doesn't brag too much?

You know, I hate Vettel when he rub his red bull image on his car after winning a race, and pointing that finger to the camera, or if he's in trouble then he'll start whining etc.. these little things that make me not a Vettel fan.

I also used to hate Alonso very much when he was in Renault, he was pretty similar to Vettel, doing that bull dance thing after winning a race, whining over everything, etc, but now I'm an Alonso fan, he is more matured right now and got all my respect.

I also used to hate Lewis when he was in his first rookie year bragging like mad after winning every race. but now he seems more relaxed and composed and got my respect also.

I have done some math and don't know i this has been brought up yet
Some Clinch Scenarios
Vettel Podium
Alonso win with Vettel not top 3
Alonso 2nd with Vettel not top 6
Alonso 3rd Vettel wins no matter what

Liked the pics astrodude. 👍

Webber has admitted he doesn't like the Pirellis which have been used for the last 2 years, he's in his late 30s and he was never one of the best on the grid anyway.

Sebastian Vettel has re-written the history books and claimed almost every record. It has been claimed that he is on a Schumacher and Ayrton Senna level (especially on 2011).

The records are impressive but it seems that whenever he qualifies well and performs well so does Webber, this isn't always the case with the other top drivers and their team mates.

Last edited:

And let's be brutally honest, you don't simply get carried by a car in your second F1 season to finish 2nd in the WDC.

If the rules had been clearer on the double diffusers in 2009, I'm willing to bet he could've taken the championship the first season he was in a decent car.

Why people continue to put Vettel's car as the number one reason to his success so far, is beyond me. Surely then Webber would be doing nearly as good if the car is that fast. He is nowhere near Vettel. Although, let's be honest, Webber has been around for a very long time now, and probably not his prime anymore.

Are sure you're directing your response at the correct person? :odd: Luminis brought up completely reasonable points, giving credit where credit's due... and you decide to jump in with a bunch of petty nonsense, mostly of which has nothing to do with what Luminis said.

Btw, nice pics astrodude 👍

Only part of my post was aimed at Luminis and some of it was aimed at failing_finn but I was on the phone app so I couldn't multi quote, apologies if anybody I felt I was aiming it directly at one person.

'Petty nonsense'?... This was my opinion on the subject, if you didn't agree with it then give your opinion but truth of the fact is that the Teams have said the Red Bull is just ahead on performance and that Sebastian Vettel is more of a threat to them than Mark Webber. All I was trying to point out here is that they are suppose to have the 'same' car just different setups so the pace difference shouldn't be as big as it has been last year and early this year.

Anyway agree or don't agree but that is my opinion.

Back