2012 Moto3/Moto2/MotoGP Thread

• Thread starter Tom
  • 708 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha good point. As it says in the article, more tv coverage for CRTs and more track space for the fast guys on their fast laps :)

Did anyone watch the races at the weekend? I'm puzzled by the sheer lack of comments. I just watched the replay of the Moto3 race. What an ending that was. Now the Moto2 replay is on. What a recovery by Marquez. He only had three or four riders behind him by the time he got up to speed at the start and yet he had made his way up to 9th by the end of lap one. Sensational. He was just flying past everyone like it was a videogame on easy difficulty.

About the Q rules, I kinda like that at first glance. More pressure, more action moments instead of a build up to a one last minute dash.

Did anyone watch the races at the weekend? I'm puzzled by the sheer lack of comments. I just watched the replay of the Moto3 race. What an ending that was. Now the Moto2 replay is on. What a recovery by Marquez. He only had three or four riders behind him by the time he got up to speed at the start and yet he had made his way up to 9th by the end of lap one. Sensational. He was just flying past everyone like it was a videogame on easy difficulty.

Well, I barely managed to watch F1, and only saw the replay of MotoGP yesterday. Kinda boring... except this:

Cal was battling really well when I managed to catch it, unfortunate about him retiring!

Sad to see it happen, he is on form.

Not sure I'll be able to get another replay of Moto2 and 3 :(

Should've recorded it :dunce:

Too early for me, the F1 was on and after seeing the rather predictable result I couldn't be bothered. I'll have to see that Moto2 race though, sounds good.

Too early for me, the F1 was on and after seeing the rather predictable result I couldn't be bothered. I'll have to see that Moto2 race though, sounds good.

It was just another masterclass from Marquez. On the opening few corners, several small groups were having fights for position and Marquez just picked his way through it all. It was incredible.

We should clarify he wasn't in gear when the lights went. In case anyone was wondering why he had to carve his way through.

Managed to find a replay and record it remotely, ipTV FTW :D

It was just another masterclass from Marquez. On the opening few corners, several small groups were having fights for position and Marquez just picked his way through it all. It was incredible.

Outstanding performance really, from virtually last to 9th in one lap! 6th at the end of lap 2 and then chased and pick the front runners one by one... 👍

Also, awesome save by Espargaro!

Thanks for the heads up, I would have missed it otherwise! 👍

We should clarify he wasn't in gear when the lights went. In case anyone was wondering why he had to carve his way through.

It was pretty scary to see so many people shooting past, very very close!

Well Marc for certain earns a place in MotoGp, but Andrea needs to stay back with Pol and Scott until he can actually dominate Moto2. The only thing I can think of with this Pramec ride is Ducati wants an Italian rider as soon as possible.

Andrea needs to stay back with Pol and Scott until he can actually dominate Moto2.
I disagree entirely.

If you look to the feeder series for Formula 1, you'll understand why. This year's GP2 Series was dominated by two drivers - Davide Valsecchi and Luiz Razia. Under your logic, dominating a series is enough for both of them to make the transition into Formula 1. However, Valsecchi took five years to win the title, and Razia was in his fourth season this year. The general consensus among fans is that they are now too old to step up.

I'm applying the same line of thinking here. Iannone spent five years in the 125cc category, and is currently in his third season of Moto2. And while he does have the occasional bad run, he finished third in 2010, third in 2011 and is currently third overall - and while he is going to have to fight Luthi to keep the place, there is no immediate danger that he will fall behind Redding.

The bottom line is that there is nothing more he can learn in Moto2. He might be on the cusp of being prepared for MotoGP, but I don't think a fourth seson in the category is going to teach him anything else that he absolutely needs to know.

Well hopefully he is content with the Ducuti machines because that's where he most likely will be stuck at for the rest of he's career especially since he's only prove to be a 3rd place rider. It would be nice if Kawasaki & Suzuki could make there way back on the grid so there will be more seat available.

Well hopefully he is content with the Ducuti machines because that's where he most likely will be stuck at for the rest of he's career especially since he's only prove to be a 3rd place rider. It would be nice if Kawasaki & Suzuki could make there way back on the grid so there will be more seat available.

You are forgetting that the shift is to CRT bikes in the future - which is an effort to level the playing field for riders.

Well hopefully he is content with the Ducuti machines because that's where he most likely will be stuck at for the rest of he's career especially since he's only prove to be a 3rd place rider.
Again, look to Formula 1's feeder series: success in one does not guarantee success in Formula 1. Nelson Piquet Jnr. was obviously quick when he was racing in GP2, but out of his league in Formula 1. Kamui Koabayshi, on the other hand, never really impressed in GP2, but scored points in only his second race.

Just because Iannone always places third in Moto2, it doesn't mean third place is the maximum he can achieve in MotoGP. For all we know, a 1000cc bike will fit him like a glove and he'll score a podium on debut, while the highly-rated Marquez cannot handle the extra power and leaves people questioning why it all went so badly for him.

What I'm trying to say is that while success in the junior series is representative of talent, it is only representative in general terms.

Additionally, so long as there is no ballast system, big guys like Iannonne will always have a disadvantages against midgets like Marquez and Pedrosa, purely based on their size and weight.

Additionally, so long as there is no ballast system, big guys like Iannonne will always have a disadvantages against midgets like Marquez and Pedrosa, purely based on their size and weight.

I think no ballast system is the best way to do it, the little ones can't make the bike change direction as fast because they are generally weaker and when the fairing bashing starts the big lads generally come out on top. It doesn't seem to have prevented Rossi, Hayden and Simoncelli from being successful in recent years.

Just because Iannone always places third in Moto2, it doesn't mean third place is the maximum he can achieve in MotoGP. For all we know, a 1000cc bike will fit him like a glove and he'll score a podium on debut,
Good point, just look at Lorenzo. I don't think anyone expected him to be so fast so early on.

Its scary, then just Woah! He really had the red mist. I have a feeling he'll do that again next year past the CRTs, after being put to the back of the grid for knocking somebody off in the previous race :P (just a feeling)

It turns out Maverick Vinales has walked out on his team! So Cortese just needs 14 points to secure the title. More importantly, Maverick has a 2 year contract with them for moto 3 next year and moto 2 in 2014, whats happening next is anyone's guess.

It turns out Maverick Vinales has walked out on his team! So Cortese just needs 14 points to secure the title. More importantly, Maverick has a 2 year contract with them for moto 3 next year and moto 2 in 2014, whats happening next is anyone's guess.

True story.

Vinales has been very vocal about how off the pace the FTR is, so it makes sense that he wants to get the final KTM seat (vacated by Cortese and Kent) alongside Salom instead of being stuck with a slower bike again for another year.

Not a very clever way of going about it, breaking contract...

Mike Rotch
Not a very clever way of going about it, breaking contract...

True. I suspect that all his future contracts will be written with high contract breakage fines. If he absolutely had to break his contract, he should have waited until the end of the year. Unless of course, KTM wouldn't talk to him unless he had already broken it. Still, he's going to feel like an idiot if all his rivals fail to finish the remaining races.

What do you guys think would happen to Toni Elias if he supposely won Moto 2 again next year?

Congratulations Cortese, this year's Moto3 champion. I look forward to you following your predecessor's path into Moto2 mediocrity.

Looks like a huge storm has delayed Moto2 - a wet race transitioning to dry could be very exciting to watch!

Another Lorenzo pole start and first into corner 1, but Pedrosa passes mid-race and pulls away to win. How many consecutive races is that now? What a monotonous championship run-in.

Was entertaining further down, mostly with everyone falling off, shame it had to be stopped but it was the right decision.

Shame Gino wasn't given the win in Moto2, anyone know why Rossi fell back suddenly after a few laps? I assume he went off the track, the BBC didn't seem to know.

Dang it I reviewed this tread to soon I just read a spoiler. Danny does well when he's the #1 rider on his team. I hope he can carry this over to next year and clinch a title finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back