2013 Formula 1 Grand Prix De Monaco

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 721 comments
F1 fan
I expect Pirelli and Mercedes to be hauled in front of the FIA. Possible fines and constructors championship penalty for Mercedes. In the interest of fairness, all other teams should also be allowed the same amount of testing as Mercedes had.
Earlier, NBC reported that Pirelli can choose a manufacturer to do tire testing for safety purposes. They did with Mercedes and with Ferrari around the Bahrain race.

Earlier, NBC reported that Pirelli can choose a manufacturer to do tire testing for safety purposes. They did with Mercedes and with Ferrari around the Bahrain race.

They have also been quoted as saying there are no safety issues with the current tires, so this could get interesting.

They used an old Ferrari though I believe, the issue Is that Mercedes used this years car I think which isn't allowed.

"NICO, DOWN HERE! NICO! NICO!"

I expect Pirelli and Mercedes to be hauled in front of the FIA. Possible fines and constructors championship penalty for Mercedes. In the interest of fairness, all other teams should also be allowed the same amount of testing as Mercedes had.

Niki Lauda said before the race, that they had permission from the FIA to do the test. I think the teams will be issued the data that Merc may or may not have gained from it and move on.

Race recap:

1. (Drive of the Day, 1st) Nico Rosberg runs a very tactical race to win Monaco, finally, just like dear old dad, did. Great job. Great pace. Never looked in danger of losing.

2. Sebastian Vettel will be very happy with second. A just-in-time pit right at the yellow flag, and a quick blitz of a lap after the safety car mistakenly held him up got him past Lewis. Great job.

3. Mark Webber does what a good number two does. Follows finger-boy home.

4. Lewis Hamilton never had an answer for Nico. Looked like he'd try early on, but he didn't have the pace. He got screwed by the safety car, and his race never recovered after that.

5. (Drive of the Day, 3rd) Adrian Sutil had a bonkers race. I'd say drive of the day. A bunch of clean overtakes, fantastic pace. Granted, everyone who qualified ahead of him had issues, but he ran a flawless race.

6. Jenson Button. Whine whine whine. Perez Perez Perez... whoops... you need to pit, m'boy... sorry. Can't let you do that. Lucks into position more than anything else, after losing out early on.

7. Fernando Alonso had nothing but bad luck this weekend, some of it named Perez, but lucky for him, other people had worse luck... including Perez.

8. Jean Eric Vergne? Torro Rosso? Stranger things have happened.

9. Paul di Resta shows how good the Force India is, by bringing the second FI into the points from a qualifying disaster.

10. (Drive of the Day, 2nd) Kimi Raikkonen makes the most of a terrible situation. And that terrible situation was... you guessed it. Perez. Record for the most overtakes at the end of a race? Maybe.

-

Big losers:

Pastor Maldonado: This time, it wasn't his fault. Still not a great weekend.

Felipe Massa: Is making a career out of that single corner. Bad end to an otherwise good race.

Romain Grosjean: Tailgating bad. Overtaking good. Less tailgating. More overtaking. Mmkay?

Max Chilton: See those things on the side of your car? They're called mirrors

And the biggest loser?

Sergio Perez: Almost a heroic race. Tried the chicane trick one time too many. And oh, Jenson, can you move out of the way? I need to pit! No? Still sore about that move at the chicane? Awww.... :D

-

Peace. I'm out.

Last edited:
Pretty unbelievable weekend for Nico Rosberg. Led every practice session, won qualifying, and led every single lap of the race. He deserved this.

Niki Lauda said before the race, that they had permission from the FIA to do the test. I think the teams will be issued the data that Merc may or may not have gained from it and move on.

Did Mercedes collect telemetry data? I can't see them wanting to share that if they did.

Having said that, maybe Lewis will post it on twitter.

Pretty unbelievable weekend for Nico Rosberg. Led every practice session, won qualifying, and led every single lap of the race. He deserved this.

While I'm not denying that he deserved this, if a certain countryman of his did the same thing, the whining would be unbelievable.

Whatever it was, I seem to have missed it.

Vettel nabbed fastest lap and Christian said you need to keep the car safe, nothing to prove.
Vettel said it's the satisfaction.

Well deserved drive from Nico.
Kimi keeping the points haul alive...
Perez came from a mile back, 4 car lengths.. comon that's ambitious.

Did Mercedes collect telemetry data? I can't see them wanting to share that if they did.

Having said that, maybe Lewis will post it on twitter.

I don't see why people made such a big deal over that, it only showed speed over time didn't it? If the other teams wanted to they could watch the on board laps of rival teams anyway, they could probably learn all they learned from that tweet and more just by listening to the car.

I think the issue with Perez was like Brundle said. You make the choice to make a move at the tunnel exit not when the other guy responds and you can see whether it will work. At that point it is too late.

But did they have permission to use the 2013 car is the issue.

That's my understanding, yup. However if the FIA say that they did have permission we have a problem because the rules say they weren't allowed, it had to be a 2+ year old car. So the FIA would have gone against their own rules, obviously.

I think the issue with Perez was like Brundle said. You make the choice to make a move at the tunnel exit not when the other guy responds and you can see whether it will work. At that point it is too late.

Yep, the other guy needs to be aware you're there long before Perez made his move, as I said that small gap he was trying to drive into was always going to close.

Race recap:

1. Nico Rosberg runs a very tactical race to win Monaco, finally, just like dear old dad, did. Great job. Great pace. Never looked in danger of losing.

2. Sebastian Vettel will be very happy with second. A just-in-time pit right at the yellow flag, and a quick blitz of a lap after the safety car mistakenly held him up got him past Lewis. Great job.

3. Mark Webber does what a good number two does. Follows finger-boy home.

4. Lewis Hamilton never had an answer for Nico. Looked like he'd try early on, but he didn't have the pace. He got screwed by the safety car, and his race never recovered after that.

5. Adrian Sutil had a bonkers race. I'd say drive of the day. A bunch of clean overtakes, fantastic pace. Granted, everyone who qualified ahead of him had issues, but he ran a flawless race.

6. Jenson Button. Whine whine whine. Perez Perez Perez... whoops... you need to pit, m'boy... sorry. Can't let you do that. Lucks into position more than anything else, after losing out early on.

7. Fernando Alonso had nothing but bad luck this weekend, some of it named Perez, but lucky for him, other people had worse luck... including Perez.

8. Jean Eric Vergne? Torro Rosso? Stranger things have happened.

9. Paul di Resta shows how good the Force India is, by bringing the second FI into the points from a qualifying disaster.

10. Kimi Raikkonen makes the most of a terrible situation. And that terrible situation was... you guessed it. Perez.

-

Big losers:

Pastor Maldonado: This time, it wasn't his fault. Still not a great weekend.

Felipe Massa: Is making a career out of that single corner. Bad end to an otherwise good race.

Romain Grosjean: Tailgating bad. Overtaking good. Less tailgating. More overtaking. Mmkay?

Max Chilton: See those things on the side of your car? They're called mirrors

And the biggest loser?

Sergio Perez: Almost a heroic race. Tried the chicane trick one time too many. And oh, Jenson, can you move out of the way? I need to pit! No? Still sore about that move at the chicane? Awww.... :D

-

Peace. I'm out.

Everything said by Niky I mirror ^. Oh and the satisfaction I get in saying to others...I was right about Merc win here and not leading a train. A several second lead over the 2nd place car isn't "a merc safety car starting the race".

Everything said by Niky I mirror ^. Oh and the satisfaction I get in saying to others...I was right about Merc win here and not leading a train. A several second lead over the 2nd place car isn't "a merc safety car starting the race".

True, the problem as a whole was that the whole field were dawdling along in the first stint and we all know why.

True, the problem as a whole was that the whole field were dawdling along in the first stint and we all know why.

Strategy reasons are why, in the end they pulled a gap to be comfortable like I predicted they would. Even if the 3 time champion pulled out a few fastest laps in the end to boost his ego, Nico would have still been okay. So automatically I'm happy due to being right and seeing my team win, I would have been more happy with Lewis on podium, but off to Canada we go.

Good spot by Anthony Davidison there, does appear to be something moving on the suspension area.

Also a good point about that barrier from Martin earlier, if it had popped all the way across the track and blocked it entirely it's possible we could have had the cars all parked down there forced to turn their engines off. Then we'd have had the guys all running down there with the starters!

Strategy reasons are why, in the end they pulled a gap to be comfortable like I predicted they would. Even if the 3 time champion pulled out a few fastest laps in the end to boost his ego, Nico would have still been okay. So automatically I'm happy due to being right and seeing my team win, I would have been more happy with Lewis on podium, but off to Canada we go.

I didn't mean it like that, I was just saying the whole race was very slow at the start because everyone was tyre managing.

Sergio Perez: Almost a heroic race.
Was it? I don't call do-or-die moves into the chicane good racing. "Move or we'll crash." He didn't deserve to be given the place by Alonso; although the move on Jenson was well timed, he left it too late with Alonso and if that had been a less mature driver, there would've been another safety car right then. The banzai move from 50 yards back on Raikonnen was just idiotic.

Good point he made with Lewis too, wasn't it not that long ago (Malaysia) that Merc showed they could do a stacked pit with great success. So why wasn't Lewis sitting right behind Nico during that pit for one. I mean yeah I think he had some bad luck with the Safety Car but he could have made it up with some tactical thinking.

Was it? I don't call do-or-die moves into the chicane good racing. "Move or we'll crash." He didn't deserve to be given the place by Alonso; although the move on Jenson was well timed, he left it too late with Alonso and if that had been a less mature driver, there would've been another safety car right then. The banzai move from 50 yards back on Raikonnen was just idiotic.

Read my point. You make the choice at the end of the tunnel. Not at the corner.

True, I think he may have been saying that about Perez in a sarcastic sense, but I could be wrong. When reflecting on it...Perez seems like a dolt for not even have half a gap to make 3/4th of that move. Thus it cost him the race and hurt Kimi's race as well.

Oh dear, looks like Kimi might be losing that point after all. Too fast under the safety car.

Well that was a crap shoot then for Lotus it would seem. I feel bad for Lotus today and hope they are back to pace in two weeks. However, I'm glad Merc GP are in the fight for constructor more so than before.

Merceds allowed to test with 2013 car = spoof championship.
Once again F1 become more politics than racing.

I doubt Merc can win a WDC, at first I thought they were just saying it to take views off them...but I fully believe unless summer upgrades do something dramatic. However, I must say if Merc can get the car together from here on out, I could see them getting the WCC since their driver setup seems more stable. If Lotus and Ferrari had stronger number 2 drivers and if Webber was far more consistent. However, this is a big prediction on my part so we will see.

Also if anyone thinks (not saying you HKS) that Pirelli tires aren't safe after what we saw with delamination, they should go recheck. Also it's probably best to test with Merc, who blame the tire issue more on themselves, then RBR who seem to want to be babied and then have everyone say "see they are manipulating F1 so RBR keep winning championships".

I didn't mean it like that, I was just saying the whole race was very slow at the start because everyone was tyre managing.

Ah, I see. I thought it was a comment more at Merc.

Well, I don't like crashes and I am a fan of Alonso so to me that was a spectacularly boring race. Well done Rosberg and Sutil. Next please.

Edit. Oh, and I liked Vettel's comment.

Which is why... almost. His first move was great, the second was questionable (though Ferrari did, under the rules, have to give the place back), and the third was... yeah... you called it, right there... :lol:

Back