2013 Formula 1 Grand Prix De Monaco

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 721 comments
Wish that Pirelli had just bought the 2 HRT's from 2012, that's as close to the 2013 cars you'll get without giving anyone an advantage.

Isn't their test car a 2011 Lotus or something similar. Lotus, who are in the sport still, and great on tyres. If you used the recent HRT then not only are you getting a near same specification car but also there is not gonna be a protest against HRT is there.

Isn't their test car a 2011 Lotus or something similar. Lotus, who are in the sport still, and great on tyres. If you used the recent HRT then not only are you getting a near same specification car but also there is not gonna be a protest against HRT is there.

Their test car is a 2010 Renault which is slower than what the teams run now. I don't see how using a HRT will solve anything seeing as it's even slower than that and has less downforce. For example at the Spanish GP, the fastest HRT last year was 6 seconds slower than what the Renault did in qualifying. It's not at all representative of a current car and it would be useless to Pirelli.

7485e05cc62311e2931722000a1fc67c_7.jpg

All good!

Nice to see Massa healthy.

You go, Kimi! :lol:

-

Be interesting to see how this tire drama plays out. If Mercedes engineers, indeed, were not allowed to collect any data at all, then there's not much foul. But chances are, they did. As to how useful that data was, only a hearing will reveal.

Hate to bring up an older topic from the Grand Prix but I'm a big fan of Vettel's 2013 Monaco lid. Did anyone catch Martin Brundle's gridwalk when they were waiting to get an interview with him and Seb + co. were more concerned with making sure his helmet was away from the sun? ;)
_67825498_thespeciallydesigneddrivershelmetofsebastianvettel.jpg

Maybe because the pin up girl on the back of his helmet is topless the hotter the helmet gets, probably didn't want it caught on live tv.

Wish that Pirelli had just bought the 2 HRT's from 2012, that's as close to the 2013 cars you'll get without giving anyone an advantage.

That wouldn't help, the car was slow and quite faulty more so last year than any other year. So an HRT would have been worse than the 2010 Renault. A leasing agreement of various teams to allow the tire manufacture, drives with last years bodies would work so long as the data gained is tire only and nothing else. Also they probably would have got the HRT with a missing engine/transmission and would have had to have it sourced from somewhere else, like the 2011 (they just sold it instead of going through the work).

Last edited:
Ah ok. Didnt know the car was slower than the 2010 Lotus. Also didn't know HRT gutted their car before leaving the sport. I see why Pirelli never bothered with that.

Chat roulette. Random chat with random people. Takes a few clicks to find someone who isn't a masturbating man.

Finally got to watch quali+race. Terribly busy lately. At least something put a smile on my face.

Drivers of the day: Rosberg, Vettel, Sutil
Unlucky drivers of the day: Hamilton, Massa, Kimi

Perez is slowly going back to 2012 Perez that ends every race in a crash. Kid needs to calm the **** down. Alonso shouldn't have given up the place, he was practically pushed out. Same goes with Kimi. You don't go to the inside there unless your front wing is at least near the other car before the braking point. Wasn't the first time either, tool was pulling that move all race long.

The whole Mercedes thing is rather silly. We'll never really know if they collected any data or not but either way they shouldn't be punished. If I was Pirelli I'd also pick the car that's hardest on its tyres for testing.

I'm beginning to seriously hate Ferrari and how they operate. Biggest bunch of liars I've heard of in a sport. The Massa crash at qualifying was obviously some sort of failure but Massa being a test dummy they just lied about it to save their image at Monaco for the sponsors. I'm glad he got out of the 2nd one with nothing serious.

Overall it was a typically boring Monaco race to be honest. I'm just happy Rosberg's finally getting some credit. He's been one of the fastest drivers for years but never got the car to prove it.

BHRxRacer
The whole Mercedes thing is rather silly. We'll never really know if they collected any data or not but either way they shouldn't be punished.
Why shouldn't they be punished? If it's proven a rule was broken (and it looks like it was) then I don't really see how they can't be punished.

… this has went right away from Monaco now...

Maybe the Tyre debate should be moved to a thread of its own as it seems it isn't dying down soon and I bet it will still be going at the next GP. Don't want it swamping that thread too. Then close this one down?

Well done Nico. To Canada? I think.

Why shouldn't they be punished? If it's proven a rule was broken (and it looks like it was) then I don't really see how they can't be punished.
Because the FIA cleared it? It doesn't even matter if they collected data or not. FIA cleared it, blame the FIA and Pirelli. Mercedes saw an opportunity and they took it.

I read some comments here and it's unbelievable that some are saying Merc won it becaue of the tyre test. Watch last year's race please. It was pretty much the same except Nico started a place down.

Because the FIA cleared it? It doesn't even matter if they collected data or not. FIA cleared it, blame the FIA and Pirelli. Mercedes saw an opportunity and they took it.

I read some comments here and it's unbelievable that some are saying Merc won it becaue of the tyre test. Watch last year's race please. It was pretty much the same except Nico started a place down.

Exactly, and the only reason Nico finished second was due to the fact that Mark got a better start, and Schumi started sixth instead of Pole. However, it is obvious that Monaco is a track that suits the Mechanical grip of Mercedes, hence why they were slated as a car to win this race during Spain and before it. For people to leap to such an idea that Merc needed a 1000km test to win a race, is quite asinine and gullible on their parts. I'm sure any other wins will be slated to that as well.

But the FIA said they DIDN'T give final clearance, look at the press release.

Seriously, you don't think a 1,000 KM test session had anything to do with the win?

I wouldn't say that won it purely because of the test, as others have already covered Monaco is very easy on tyres, that's why they use SS and S. But yeah, you can't deny that in 1000km of testing no matter what they used or did can have given them data and knowledge and if the FIA didn't pass it then they're going to be in trouble, simple as that.

BLNog5yCIAA70BB.jpg:large

The third paragraph is pretty damning, there is also the point that not all teams were offered the test, as is required.

Great quotes from Ricciardo re Grosjean and the overall race. A selection:

"I’m not surprised Romain picked up a penalty: we were in the stewards’ office together and, to be honest, I didn’t need to say much. They had the data and once I saw the video, it was pretty much what I thought it had been. Tom Kristensen [driver steward, eight times Le Mans winner] was there and he’s experienced enough to understand that type of collision."

"Sometimes when things like this happen, you want to blow off steam but by that point I really couldn’t be bothered shouting and screaming at Grosjean. It was a disappointing end to a deeply unsatisfying weekend and I didn’t want to waste the energy yelling 'screw you, what the hell were you thinking?' I just said 'you’re an idiot', and that was it."

"Even under those conditions, making a pass in Monaco is near-impossible. If the guy in front is half-smart, he’s going to defend his line when you’re close. We’re not racing against too many muppets and those guys are aware of when and where you’re going to attack, and they defend, so it tends to be a race of follow-the-leader."

Back