2013 Formula 1 Grand Prix De Monaco

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 721 comments
Yay, we all love a chart. :D

Van der Garde must have thought his luck had changed at the first safety car, then... oh. ;)

What is the chart showing, lap number at the top but on the left? I thought it would be gap to leader given how compressed it becomes around safety car periods, but 3 (nearly 4) cars finish ahead of the winner?

Hmm, yes. The finishing positions are correct and the gaps look right too, but it does look like the top three have finished in the minus zone. At first I thought zero might be the 2 hour mark, but I'm not sure that's right either. It was on the F1 FB feed.

To be fair, it was on the same feed as this:
971684_513221998744849_906293032_n.jpg

No wonder he looks like that! :lol:

Apparently a Mercedes F1 car has been spotted driving 100km on Pirelli demo tyres at Silverstone today - driven by Petronas F3.5 driver Jazeman Jaafar.

Jazeman Jaafar is doing a demo run for Mercedes in Malaysia. I would suspect it is to do with that, but not good timing!

There are reports that Mercedes have joined the other front running teams in swapping the rear tyres from left to right. It's apparently something they have been doing since Melbourne, but it has only been noted as of Monaco... Or the Pirelli test.

Source.

Apparently a Mercedes F1 car has been spotted driving 100km on Pirelli demo tyres at Silverstone today - driven by Petronas F3.5 driver Jazeman Jaafar.

That sort of thing is allowed I think, most teams do demo runs during the year.

PS Famine could you split the Mercedes test talk into a new thread please? It doesn't really pertain to the Monaco race and will go on a lot longer. Thanks.

No doubt the butt-hurt 🤬 at Red Bull will still try to claim that Mercedes gained some kind of tyre advantage; and try to have their Monaco result overturned in the process. :rolleyes:

Please tell us why those claims are unfounded.

Please tell us why those claims are unfounded.

“The tyres used were not from the current championship but belonged to a range of products still being developed in view of an eventual renewal of the supply contract. Further, none of the tests were carried for the purpose of enhancing specific cars, but only to test tyre solutions for future championships.”
Perhaps read the links next time? 💡 You can't gather data relevant to tyres that you're not even running.

Apologies, I didn't notice the word 'tyre' in what you said. Because there is still a question of whether they gained an advantage of any kind doing this test as far as I can see.

Apologies, I didn't notice the word 'tyre' in what you said. Because there is still a question of whether they gained an advantage of any kind doing this test as far as I can see.
Oh okay, no worries! :) But still we know how sensitive Formula One machines are when it comes to tyres; even small alterations can make any data collected completely irrelevant, to what is currently being raced.

Also despite that test, we didn't really see Mercedes pulling away from the Red Bull during the race, so it seems to me they were still preserving their tyres anyway (this being despite the fact that Monaco is a low tyre-wear circuit).

Therefore I can't see how Mercedes gained an advantage, and it seems to me that Red Bull are just being petty. Admittedly I'm probably a bit biased (I now loath Red Bull with a passion), and technically Mercedes did break the rules; but nonetheless, if no advantage was gained, I only think they should be heavily fined at the most.

That's the problem really, it's impossible to say that they gained an advantage but it's also impossible to say they didn't. Therefore as you say what it really comes down to is what specific rules were broken in letting the test happen. At the moment it seems to be coming down to whether the FIA did give a final OK for the test and if all other teams were given the opportunity.

It's going to get very messy and very legal, I imagine.

There seems to basically two issues that remain. Firstly not all teams being given the opportunity which is surely only on Pirelli. Secondly Mercedes using a 2013 car when the rules say it has to be 2011 or older.

My humble opinion? Whatever happens on the pirelli side of things will lead to them not supplying tyres next year, for Mercedes they will most likely get a big fine, at worst barred from the constructors championship but I think it's unlikely. I'm going with the fine.

RBR just want to get rid of their top competitor as far as quali goes and their top racing competition as well. Too bad they can't axe Lotus as well. Merc and Ferrari I still feel wont get too severe of a penalty, which will prompt further outcry by RBR.

RBR just want to get rid of their top competitor as far as quali goes and their top racing competition as well. Too bad they can't axe Lotus as well. Merc and Ferrari I still feel wont get too severe of a penalty, which will prompt further outcry by RBR.

You say that like Merc wouldn't do the exact same thing if the roles were reversed. :P

Oh okay, no worries! :) But still we know how sensitive Formula One machines are when it comes to tyres; even small alterations can make any data collected completely irrelevant, to what is currently being raced.

Also despite that test, we didn't really see Mercedes pulling away from the Red Bull during the race, so it seems to me they were still preserving their tyres anyway (this being despite the fact that Monaco is a low tyre-wear circuit).

Therefore I can't see how Mercedes gained an advantage, and it seems to me that Red Bull are just being petty. Admittedly I'm probably a bit biased (I now loath Red Bull with a passion), and technically Mercedes did break the rules; but nonetheless, if no advantage was gained, I only think they should be heavily fined at the most.

These high lighted parts of your post are which I pertain to.
It doesn't matter if we see whether there is advantage or no advantage, when the rules are broken. (btw more information is always an advantage)
Having an unbiased opinion, as a spectator, is near impossible.
So I am taking that into account, when you say you expect the most lenient of punishments. (a fine)
In saying that, you too believe they are guilty of breaking the rules, but you choose to center your disdain at RBR, whom are within the rules to bring forward a protest.
I repeat, having an unbiased opinion, as a spectator, is near impossible. ;)

These high lighted parts of your post are which I pertain to.
It doesn't matter if we see whether there is advantage or no advantage, when the rules are broken. (btw more information is always an advantage)
Having an unbiased opinion, as a spectator, is near impossible.
So I am taking that into account, when you say you expect the most lenient of punishments. (a fine)
In saying that, you too believe they are guilty of breaking the rules, but you choose to center your disdain at RBR, whom are within the rules to bring forward a protest.
I repeat, having an unbiased opinion, as a spectator, is near impossible. ;)
I never said they weren't guilty! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You say that like Merc wouldn't do the exact same thing if the roles were reversed. :P

No...I say it like RBR are quite the whining team, look at it compared to Ferrari. Ferrari aren't coming on nearly as strong, and more so RBR are sensationalizing it via media, to hope taint the image to the fans and FOM that what has been done will create a faulty championship. Thus they are alluding to this sort of talk that is seeming to want a Constructor DSQ.

I expect Ferrari have been dragged into the Pirelli row to see if Pirelli conducted themselves in a similar manner. They may have asked both teams to run a test without specifying the car, so it would have been on Ferrari and Mercedes to choose the chassis year. If they asked for a 2013 car specifically, it changes the perspective and the punishment.

I don't get the argument that with the tyres being for 2014, Mercedes will not have gained anything by running their current car for 1000km with their current drivers - It's probably difficult to ignore current data from the array of sensors on the car...

Looks like Grosjean is getting one big-ass fine for running into Riccardo at Monaco.
http://za.news.yahoo.com/grosjean-penalty-quite-harsh-125031378.html
And a suspension failure caused Massa's big crash during Friday practice.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/5/14615.html
You didn't even read the article, did you? :rolleyes: The very first sentence of the article states very clearly, that suspension failure caused Massa's near-identical race crash (i.e. the one on Sunday)!

No...I say it like RBR are quite the whining team, look at it compared to Ferrari. Ferrari aren't coming on nearly as strong, and more so RBR are sensationalizing it via media, to hope taint the image to the fans and FOM that what has been done will create a faulty championship. Thus they are alluding to this sort of talk that is seeming to want a Constructor DSQ.

Ferrari? The team which was furious that they came second last year and ordered an FIA inquiry into it, the slagged Schuey off, then complained about the car etc.

Anyway http://adf.ly/PxVQj

Perhaps Ferrari weren't coming on as strong because they did a test as well, albeit with the 2011 car which they believe is ok. It seems there is a lot of people whose hatred of Red Bull means they can't look at things objectively. Red Bull are perfectly entitled to kick up a stink about this just as any other team has done in the past for potential rule breaches.

Paul Di Resta wittering about it being the team's fault. Again.

Shocker.

Back