2013 Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 786 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hun200kmh
I do feel sad when a Formula One Grand Prix is discussed among fans of the sport and 80% of it is about hating or loving the personality of particular drivers. We can make fun of it all (Ham's dog, Vettel's finger, Alonso's samurai quotes, Button's balance quest, Kimi's one liners, etc etc) and we should in a light hearted way, but not like this, we're just an inch away from needing close moderation and that is sad in a supposedly adult F1 forum.

I think we're pretty lenient, and most all the members here (even the ones I disagree with) are civilized in their discussion.

There's races in which I do not comment on, or don't wish to be swept into the discussion, but the post-race after-talk is rather common. There's a lot of F1 boards out there, and the discussion is typically much more infantile and uneducated than you'll find here. We have a nice mix here: fans of the drivers, fans of the teams, fans of the sport, and well...people who like all of it.

Personally, I don't care much (if at all) for the individual non-racing issues of the drivers, no more than I care about the off-camera doings of politicians or really anyone else. But when it's easy to chalk up the drivers as having "no personality", something absurd and wonderful comes out of the trivial and silly. I don't use it to judge the driver, but to smash the idea that they're some sort of hollow automaton.

I'm curious if you have ever wanted to achieve something extradonary from life that is above 95 - 98% of people? Your comments suggest to me that you have never stepped up and have always been happy kicking around the midfield making up excuses as to why your not where you want to be.

I think you feel as if one can end up a triple world champion by just bouncing around and not paying attention to details.

Not only is Vettel a fast driver but he works very hard off the track with engineering and setup and testing, he takes time to talk to the team and build relationship etc, their is a reason why the team backs him and thats because he puts in so much effort to control as many varibles as possible, just like Senna did.

Let us not forget as well that in 2011 Vettel was the only driver to visit the Pirelli factory before the start of the season.

What are you talking about?

Lets clarify that, I personally don't wish that any driver gets booed. (Though it happens)

And secondly, as Kimi has pointed out giving short interviews 'cause of the **** that people have gave him for not to be as people would wanted. So, would it be better if everybody in the podium would give interviews like him...

Cursing.... thats not very personal or pointed to anyone. (It can be)
And there are obviously very much cultural differences in that.

PS. Oh, censorship. So I have to explain the word. It means that thing you eat and end up coming out from the other end

AHAHAHA so funny you are, still your exchange to insult rather than give an actual justification for being mad about boos, other than "oh how mean of those bad people", was moot. Sounds more like people being prudes that can't move on. IF people boo, oh well but at the end of the day -my main point since you seemed to only want read the analogy and then comment- Vettel won and no one can take that away from him. If anything the boos will clearly prompt him to win more, just to upset the world over and over. Vettel drove well and won a race and if a few boos come out of it I think we'll all be fine.

People however should be allowed to express their displeasure with something or someone in a non-threatening way. So please explain why it is such a bad thing other than being rude? I much rather them boo than go flip cars over like some cities do when they face a major upset or loss.

Booing is not usually a serious gesture. I'd say it ranks quite low in the arsenal of insults a fan can throw at a participant, and I've seen quite a few rabid fans in hockey games. There's even guys that dress up in green suits and do nothing but make fun of people that get penalties. Fans love it, hell, even some players do. :lol:

I have no problem with people booing, as long as it doesn't escalate into actual insults or throwing things on the track like what happened at Talladega in 2007(not sure if that type of incident has happened in F1).

Things like that make me embarrassed to be a racing fan of any series.

As for the race, even though Vettel dominated it was still a good race. Really hoping McLaren can salvage something from '13 but the chances aren't looking good.:nervous:

I have no problem with people booing, as long as it doesn't escalate into actual insults or throwing things on the track like what happened at Talladega in 2007(not sure if that type of incident has happened in F1).

As for the race, even though Vettel dominated it was still a good race. Really hoping McLaren can salvage something from '13 but the chances aren't looking good.:nervous:

US GP 2005 I think, fans were getting angry that only 6 cars were racing and threw all kinds of stuff on the track. Can understand why they were mad on that occasion, but that was definitely low.

As much as I like McLaren and tend to be confident in Button carrying a struggling car, I really feel like they just are out of it this season.

It's all very simple, no one wants to see the same person win in carbon copy fashion each and every race weekend. I bet that even if one of the really likable drivers such as Button or Webber won race after race four years straight without actually having to race hard to win most times, there would be booing. The main problem with Vettel is probably not that he's winning all the time though, but the manner in which he does. Fans wants to see racing and overtaking, not pulling out a seven second lead in the first four laps and then just bringing it home for the next fifty.

Anyone who throws something onto the track at the cars is not a race fan. He/she is a race idiot. And I paraphrase a Bob Jenkins quote from the 1994 Winston 500 at Talladega.
In other F1 news, pertaining to the tire safety debates:
http://www.f1zone.net/news/montezemolo-we-have-faith-in-the-fia/19327/
http://www.f1zone.net/news/vettel-says-win-justifies-tyre-complaints/19316/

And hello to you too, sunshine.
Hellooooooooooooooooooooooo :)

Just got back to Toronto from Montreal. Somewhat boring race with Vettel winning again..

heres a quick snap before i go through the rest of my photos
You guys are lucky. Unless we get pit access we have to sit so far away in the stand and with the fence we can never get such a clean shot.

Oh, more Vettel bashing. How original.
Oh, more anti-anti-vettel bashing. How original. Guess what started this discussion?

Deserves to be booed for being good? No.
You know who else thinks he's getting booed because he/she is good? Paris Hilton. That's right, "people hate her because she's the ****".

Get real guys, this has nothing to do with him being "good". Why can't you understand that? Rather, why DON'T you want to understand that?

I'm curious if you have ever wanted to achieve something extradonary from life that is above 95 - 98% of people? Your comments suggest to me that you have never stepped up and have always been happy kicking around the midfield making up excuses as to why your not where you want to be.
I was the top student in the country until year 7, then the top 1% in the latter years, when I started getting bored of it. Is that competitive and extraordinary enough?

See, you're saying Vettel wants to be in the top 1% or so. That's not true, Vettel wants to be the 100% itself. That's the impression he gives and that's what gets on my nerves. It almost feels like if he had the chance to clone himself and have a formula Vettel race, he'd do it.

I think you feel as if one can end up a triple world champion by just bouncing around and not paying attention to details.
Of course not. However he's not the only one paying attention to detail and working his ass off.

Some of the guys he lapped last weekend probably work harder than he does.

Not only is Vettel a fast driver but he works very hard off the track with engineering and setup and testing, he takes time to talk to the team and build relationship etc, their is a reason why the team backs him and thats because he puts in so much effort to control as many varibles as possible, just like Senna did.
Again, does that make him so much faster than Raikkonen that he laps him in a race? Please answer this question.

And, in fairness after three world championships and many records broken you'd want to break as many records as possible before the dream ended.
There's a limit to that. I explained it already I don't have to go through it again.

Since we're on a GT forum, can I ask if you've ever raced someone so slow you had to lift and maybe let him pass to keep things hot? I'm not suggesting that Vettel should pull over just for the sake of racing them wheel to wheel, but I'm talking about the mentality of the driver. He's the type that would celebrate a victory even if he was the only one racing.

Just now noticed that BHRxRacer actually commented on Vettel's maturity by comparing him to Hamilton. Right. The guy who dumped his father-manager, went on an emo streak where pressures, girl troubles and management issues caused him to lose focus on racing, got fined for doing a burnout off-track, splashed cameramen with a jetski and brings a lapdog to the race.

I'm a big fan of Lewis's driving, and I'm glad his on-track shenanigans have settled down, but mature is perhaps not the best word for him.
Point out where I said Lewis is mature. I think you misunderstood what I said.The reason I brought up Lewis as an example is because he's the 2nd most immature driver ever. I just mentioned that he's not as immature as Vettel because it feels like he's just a kid that's going to grow up one day.

Hamilton's immaturity feels more like a syndrome, whereas Vettel's seems like a disease.

-

In other news, I'm glad Silverstone's marshals are going to acknowledge last weekend's victim.

Don't like the same driver winning...Go boo the teams, then. Or send them more money.

BHRxRacer
You know who else thinks he's getting booed because he/she is good? Paris Hilton. That's right, "people hate her because she's the ****".

Don't really think a person who's famous because of there parents successful hotel chain and someone who's famous because he is the youngest Triple world champion at a sport where 24 is very young to have even won once.

So why's he being booed? Because the race was "boring"? Guess who should get booed for that? The teams who didn't show up on race day.

See, you're saying Vettel wants to be in the top 1% or so. That's not true, Vettel wants to be the 100% itself. That's the impression he gives and that's what gets on my nerves. It almost feels like if he had the chance to clone himself and have a formula Vettel race, he'd do it.

Mind reader now, are you?

And some probably don't.

Point out where I said Lewis is mature. I think you misunderstood what I said.The reason I brought up Lewis as an example is because he's the 2nd most immature driver ever. I just mentioned that he's not as immature as Vettel because it feels like he's just a kid that's going to grow up one day.

Hamilton's immaturity feels more like a syndrome, whereas Vettel's seems like a disease.

Waiting for citations of Vettel's numerous off-track antics and the fines and penalties he's accrued for such. Wait, let's do an accounting of who's got more on-track penalties, too.

Then let me know how immaturity in the previous youngest champion ever is any different from immaturity in the current youngest champion ever.

RE: Syndrome: I don't think you understand what that word means. A syndrome is a condition characterized by physiological and psychiatric symptoms. In other words, it's a disease.

-

I don't like Vettel all that much. But he is hardly the most arrogant driver out there. And he doesn't deserve all that hate.

AHAHAHA so funny you are, still your exchange to insult rather than give an actual justification for being mad about boos, other than "oh how mean of those bad people", was moot. Sounds more like people being prudes that can't move on. IF people boo, oh well but at the end of the day -my main point since you seemed to only want read the analogy and then comment- Vettel won and no one can take that away from him. If anything the boos will clearly prompt him to win more, just to upset the world over and over. Vettel drove well and won a race and if a few boos come out of it I think we'll all be fine.

I don't doubt either that Vettel gives a damn.

But do you think that a band will finish their gig, if the crowds starts booing enough.

People however should be allowed to express their displeasure with something or someone in a non-threatening way. So please explain why it is such a bad thing other than being rude? I much rather them boo than go flip cars over like some cities do when they face a major upset or loss.
Is there an option for neither? Pretty black & white thinking.
And no-one is talking about people aren't allowed to give their opinion.

And that's the difference your and mine POV.
There are could and there are should.
You-could doesn't have to always equal you-should.

My only question for the booing was, why. People dislike Vettel obviously.
But why they dislike. Everyone has their reason and that is their problem.

PS. I'd like just to know the reasons and try to understand other people.
PS2. And if you can't comprehend in any level my point of view, I advice not to waste more time in me. Then we are too different. - Peace

Last edited:

Paris Hilton is an heiress famous for a sex tape. She isn't a triple champion sportswoman, and has no proper reason to be considered "good".

Get real guys, this has nothing to do with him being "good". Why can't you understand that? Rather, why DON'T you want to understand that?

It has nothing to do with him being good, because you've convinced yourself that he "always has a car that leaves everyone in the dust". I'm not saying Red Bull are slow, but Ferrari, Lotus and Mercedes have won races this year in dominant fashion too. In 2012, we had 7 winners in the first 7 races. Mclaren won the same number of races in total as RBR. Did Vettel "always" have some kind of super rocket then?

That is an unreasonable assumption. Unless you're somehow assuming they lack natural talent and have to "work harder" to make up for it.

Again, does that make him so much faster than Raikkonen that he laps him in a race? Please answer this question.

Obviously Vettel + Red Bull was faster in Canada than Raikkonen + Lotus. Raikkonen normally wouldn't be lapped. But why whine about it now, and not on other occasions a champion has been lapped? Is it that you think Raikkonen in Canada did just as good a job on the day, or even better, but in a slower car? I would doubt that.

He's the type that would celebrate a victory even if he was the only one racing.

I'd say that the FLaps he goes for (which you still whine about) show that to SV, simply crossing a line at the end of X-laps in first place isn't enough.

People hate him because of what he's done to get there.

A driver who pushes the edges, oh wow. When he's done wrong, he got penalized for it. What edge does SV push every week, other than biscuit bill for pitstop refreshments?

A driver who pushes the edges, oh wow. When he's done wrong, he got penalized for it. What edge does SV push every week, other than biscuit bill for pitstop refreshments?

The edge of the car obviously to be the fastest and too handsomely beat Mark Webber and the field.

The only problem I have with Vettel is when he does win it's always a carbon copy of his other wins.
Qualifying: Looks off the pace a little through Q1,Q2 and the start of Q3, around the 6-8th place mark. Then in the dying seconds he pulls off an extremely fast lap and goes P1.
Race: Gets off the line well, pulls out a big lead very quickly. Almost has a crash/off a few laps in. Runs off into the distance and basically paces himself for the rest of the race. Wins the race, goes on radio 'Woooo Great race Guys, we've won xxxxxxxx, thankyou guys, YES YES!'. Jumps out of car, greets his team then does a 1 fingered salute to the camera. Goes into the drivers area behind the podium, completely ignores one of the drivers in there then takes to the podium.
He is undoubtedly the fastest driver and he usually has the best car. That's F1, it happens. Just look at Schumacher, Senna and Fangio, for the majority of their careers they had the fastest car and were the fastest driver. I just wish he would mix things up a bit once in awhile, after 3 years it's gotten boring.

Michael Schumacher is, as far as I know, the only driver to ever be disqualified from an entire season's results due to unsportsmanlike behaviour. You'd expect him to mature as he gets older, but even after his championship run, he's done some sneaky things, the worst being the cited Monaco incident where he *whoops* 'accidentally' spins the car in the middle of the track. And that squeeze on Barrichelo? He's very lucky that didn't result in an accident, otherwise he could have gotten a race ban.

Even if you get punished for these things, people remember. And people stay mad. You asked for why he's hated, and you got an answer. Vettel, despite idolizing Schumacher, hasn't done half the reprehensible things Schumi has. So far, the worst I've seen him do is disobey team orders when he overtook Webber early this season. Unsportsmanlike, yes, but not as bad as some other champions over the years.

*disclaimer, Michael was an absolutely wonderful driver to watch in his prime, but that doesn't change the fact that he was, at times, something of a jerk.

As for Vettel not pushing? What motorsport have you been watching for the past several years? Vettel, along with Hamilton and Alonso, is one of the best drivers out there at pushing the car for a fast qualifying lap. Even his critics admit that he's a great hotlapper.

Last edited:
You know what I think? This might be suited to other thread(s).

Go for it...

Vettel, despite idolizing Schumacher, hasn't done half the reprehensible things Schumi has.
Nor half the brilliant, racing drives Schuey did either.

Vettel, along with Hamilton and Alonso, is one of the best drivers out there at pushing the car for a fast qualifying lap. Even his critics admit that he's a great hotlapper.
I wouldn't say Alonso is one of the best Saturday drivers, he's definitely better when points are actually on the table. Of the top three (Kimi, Nando, Hamilton) I'd say Hamilton is the best at Qualifying.

Of course Vettel is good at pole laps, Newey has always built pole cars - back at Williams, back at Mclaren. It's obvious they're going to be on tap.

edit:
Dug up some information on Newey. Contract runs out '14, Ferrari MUST, MUST be preparing a $100M bid for him, Tombazis is a useless buffoon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back