2013 Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 786 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter.
Doubt it. Vettel isn't half the driver Schumacher was, and Red Bull's success run will only be as long as Newey is there, if even that long.

Lol this tread moves faster than anything I've seen on gtp, wow. Anyways I was reading up and totally agreed with this. Vettel is skilled clearly. He proved his speed when place in the Toro Rosso & BMW seat and performed when no other driver could in those chassis. But Newey is the silent partner that is why Vettel can close out so many wins. Vettel would still win in another car but his winning would be reduced to more like a GP2 championship fight. Colletti is proving to be strong consistently but in a almost spec chassis series he wins here and there instead of all the time. Go Newey even Mclaren can vouch for that!

Do the driver's have to curse during podium interviews? No. Does it benefit them or anyone else using language like that when young kids may be looking up to them? No, not at all. Fact is it is a two way street drivers and fans do things we don't like, but we must live with and get over. Making a big issue about it doesn't change that it happened.

Also how is it sad? Hamilton has been boo'd before and called nasty things especially in Spain. Alonso has been boo'd places too. I like both drivers a lot, but if people want to do that, I don't care it doesn't take away the fact that the driver did well. Their booing doesn't change the fact Vettel won. I rather people express how the feel in a more constructive manner than destructive.

What are you talking about?

Lets clarify that, I personally don't wish that any driver gets booed. (Though it happens)

And secondly, as Kimi has pointed out giving short interviews 'cause of the **** that people have gave him for not to be as people would wanted. So, would it be better if everybody in the podium would give interviews like him...

Cursing.... thats not very personal or pointed to anyone. (It can be)
And there are obviously very much cultural differences in that.

PS. Oh, censorship. So I have to explain the word. It means that thing you eat and end up coming out from the other end

Last edited:
FIA are confirming the marshall has died.
Sad to hear that...

I (and many else) had wondered why they didn't left that car there. It was 4 laps remaining and it wasn't that dangerous place.

Sad to hear that...

I (and many else) had wondered why they didn't left that car there. It was 4 laps remaining and it wasn't that dangerous place.

It was a type of accident that could've happened at any time, even after the race, so whether they thought it was necessary to retrieve the Sauber is not the issue.

GOTMAXPOWER
It was a type of accident that could've happened at any time, even after the race, so whether they thought it was necessary to retrieve the Sauber is not the issue.

It was also an issue of when it was done, since cars were still racing on track there was obviously a need to quickly remove the car rather then remove it at there own pace which they could of done after the race.

Terrible news may he RIP ,it sounds like a freak accident that wasn't avoidable ,but how did he get run over by a car already in the air?

Terrible news may he RIP ,it sounds like a freak accident that wasn't avoidable ,but how did he get run over by a car already in the air?
He didn't. He got run over by the crane.

I find it unbelievable that the crane ran him over. I mean, was that crane hauling ass or what? Poor guy. Things like this shouldn't happen. RIP.

He'll have been jogging alongside it within the wheelbase. Stumble in the direction of the truck = insta-run-over.

Well that puts a damper on what was a generally uneventful race. :( Poor fellow...

Booing someone for doing nothing wrong (no incidents, cheating, winning out of sheer luck from the hometown favorite) but winning handily also gets me. I mean, Sebastian's a big boy now, but that's totally low-class.

It's not as if Alonso's 2005 Renault was lightyears ahead of any other car on the grid.

Oh wait, it was!

Vettel has nothing to prove anymore, get over it.
If he don't want to change it means he know he can't win without RedBull.

MSC won 2 titles with Benetton but then moved away looking for new challanges. And he made it. Five titles with FERRARI, it's different winning with Ferrari than with any other team, also bringing the title back after so many years.

The prestige is different, get over it.

Edit: RIP to the marshall, incredible bad luck :(

Last edited:

MSC won 2 titles with Benetton but then moved away looking for new challanges. And he made it. Five titles with FERRARI, it's different winning with Ferrari than with any other team, also bringing the title back after so many years.

The prestige is different, get over it.

Or he's staying because he has a great relationship with the team and enduring success. If he moved to Ferrari he'd probably still win races there, why would any driver give up the kind of success they can get at a team like Red Bull (or Ferrari) other than retirement or a poor relationship with the team?

Schumacher stayed with Ferrari for several because he was winning races with them, same with Senna and Prost at McLaren. Schumacher left Benetton a year before his contract expired because of their allegedly illegal actions during the '94 season. Plus, Ferrari's success was also helped by the arrival of Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne.

I find it unbelievable that the crane ran him over. I mean, was that crane hauling ass or what? Poor guy. Things like this shouldn't happen. RIP.

Apparently he dropped his radio and was knocked over as he tried to pick it up.

Much as championship drivers like to claim they are moving for a "challenge", there's a calculated risk in moving to another team, in that you are moving to a team that you think can get you another championship, from a team whom you know will not be able to give you a championship winning car or championship-level support.

Schumacher, Alonso and Senna moved teams because they were eager to gain more championships. When they were getting what they wanted from the team, they stayed put. (The exception being Alonso who left right after his second championship at Renault, but perhaps he saw the writing on the wall for the car and wanted to angle for a stronger long-term team).

Why would Vettel, who is currently in the fastest car on the grid, move before his streak is up? He'll get as many championships as he can, then when the streak is done, he might move to another team for another try. But before that streak is done, why would he leave the team that has invested so much in him and which has given him every opportunity to flourish?

From what I've read, Santander was the driving force behind Alonso moving to Ferrari.

Like everything else in the world, follow the money.

He'll have been jogging alongside it within the wheelbase. Stumble in the direction of the truck = insta-run-over.

Judging by the pictures he was a couple of feet in front of the crane, slightly to it's right, the 4 marshalls including the victim appeared to be jogging in order to keep up, given the marshalls proximity to the crane and the speed, he would have been hit within a second of stopping to pick up his radio.

It's a terrible thing when somebody looses their life in this way, I understand that accidents happen, but it just seems worse when it's part of an even that is supposed to be entertainment.

I do wonder though (as in I don't know) if sometimes a volunteer force is suitable for what can be a dangerous environment. On this occasion it just seems to have been a really really bad judgement call to even be jogging a couple of feet infront of a crane whilst hanging on to a 600kg dangling weight, but how much training is given, and how much experience does one have to have in order to be in that situation in the first place?

___

As far as the race goes, it's one of the few I've watched this year. Vettel did his job almost perfectly, I don't think he should be booed for that, it shows a lack of respect, it wasn't like he was unsportsmanlike during the race.

I thought Alonso did well, but I'm a bit disappointed that Kimi didn't achieve more this weekend.

From what I've read, Santander was the driving force behind Alonso moving to Ferrari.

Like everything else in the world, follow the money.

I read that it was the driving force for Massa, not Alonso.

Massa because Santander was going to have an Initial Public Offering in Brazil, so they wanted Massa to be a poster boy of sorts.

This also brings up Raikonen and how his season prior to Massa taking his place was basically sabotaged by Ferrari. There was a very informative article posted, I believe in the Monaco thread.

Makes me really not like Santander.

Also, I didn't know the marshall was killed after the race. That makes it kind of even worse, since they could of gone at a slower pace at that point. They probably were too, but this guy just had to be unlucky and drop his radio.

What could be more challenging than trying to surpass Michael Schumacher's championship streak?

If you've got a great chance of becoming the youngest quadruple or quintriple world champion, and a reasonably good chance of being the first eight-time World Champion, why ruin the possibility of a record simply to see if you can wrestle a dog of a car to eight place?

Where would you like Vettel to go? Ferrari where Alonso would make life hell? Lotus, which is not going to win a championship any time soon? McLaren, which is currently in a McMuddle?

Vettel is smart. Which means he's staying put.

I read that it was the driving force for Massa, not Alonso.

Massa because Santander was going to have an Initial Public Offering in Brazil, so they wanted Massa to be a poster boy of sorts.

This also brings up Raikonen and how his season prior to Massa taking his place was basically sabotaged by Ferrari. There was a very informative article posted, I believe in the Monaco thread.

Makes me really not like Santander.

Yes Massa was brought in to help them with going live in Brazil. Alonso was brought in because they wanted a Spaniard driving for the Spanish company and they leveraged Ferrari to kick Kimi to the curb so Alonso could get the seat. There was a huge article time-lining everything leading up to Alonso's move. I don't recall where I found the link to it. I'm not saying Alonso made a bad move, it is Ferrari after all, even if I'm not a fan of the manufacturer, Alonso is an utterly astounding driver. Put him in a Marussia or Caterham chassis and he'll wring it out but it's still unlikely that he'd get on the podium much. The same would hold true for Vettel. I can't see either one being much interested in that kind of deal. At least not at this point in their respective careers. It makes no sense for either of them to "challenge", which should read "lose", themselves jumping to inferior cars. The drivers are no different than any other athlete in a top level sport. The folks with the money tell them what to do. It ain't about the sport anymore and hasn't been for probably 20 years or more.

New challanges.
It's never that simple; no matter how hard a driver might try to make it seem like they're moving for the challenge, that is never the sole motive...

For example after winning the drivers title in 2009, Jenson Button relocated to McLaren, claiming he was enticed by the challenge of going head-to-head with Hamilton in the same team. However he also knew that throughout it's various guises as Tyrrell, BAR, and Honda; Brawn GP had always struggled to perform consistently from year to year. Therefore McLaren was a better prospect for him in the sense that he'd be able to win more races there, at the very least! It's never as simple as a driver 'fancying a challenge'.

Vettel is smart. Which means he's staying put.

Yes, it would be very stupid of Vettel to go anywhere at all.

On a completely different note, and because I obviously have to mention Alonso in every F1 related post I make, I calculated earlier today that he is a grand total of 11 points from being a quintuple champion. Two points in 2007, five in 2010 and four last year.

Yes, it would be very stupid of Vettel to go anywhere at all.

On a completely different note, and because I obviously have to mention Alonso in every F1 related post I make, I calculated earlier today that he is a grand total of 11 points from being a quintuple champion. Two points in 2007, five in 2010 and four last year.

That's just one podium finish, in today's points. Or one win in 2007 points. Amazing.

So in case you guys have missed it, despite the fact that Kimi has been a little out of sorts in the last two races, his ninth place yesterday means that he has equalled Michael Schumachers record of finishing in the points for the last 24 consecutive races....

Put [Alonso] in a Marussia or Caterham chassis and he'll wring it out but it's still unlikely that he'd get on the podium much.

I'd doubt he'd manage to get in the points on a regular basis. He could wring a Caterham/Marussia's neck and possibly fight with Toro Rossos/Saubers/Williamses, but apart from the odd 9th/10th after a race of attrition he'd struggle to score points. It's not just about having the best car, a driver must be able to trust the car that he's driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back