2013 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 366 comments
Hamilton tweets*

That 4th one on funny and humble had my sarcasm sensor running rampant. The last "funny" moment Vettel on after race pool activities had every top driver outraged.

I do have to state that Vettel has never boasted about past titles and does not show an "entitlement" attitude to winning them. He fully acknowledges that he is winning due to the great car the team supplies and his hard work. So I don't understand where people get his "attitude" problems from.

As for the Football fans booing comparison:
Football players get booed for wrongdoings. This includes excessive cheering in goals against former clubs, harsh fouls, ref making bad/questionable calls, etc. They did something WRONG to get booed. Nonetheless, booing is still a disrespectful gesture. People most commonly performing the booing are hooligans, not the type of character one should strive for in my opinion.
A true racing fan respects all drivers for their accomplishments. They don't have to like everyone, but respect and sportsmanship is something that should always be the largest priority in an educated society.

BHRxRacer
Everything he said

I have to say how much of an idiotic opinion that is. The guy is the youngest points scorer, pole sitter and race winner EVER. That was in a BMW Sauber and a Toro Rosso, before he even sat in a Red Bull. The fact that you can completely dismiss the opinions of people considerably more educated on the subject than yourself in the name of writing him off as lucky is laughable. Honestly, I hated what he did in Malaysia but Senna did the same thing several times and we all look back at him all misty eyed. How angry you are about this is absolutely hilarious.

He's good, he's doing his job, and he's doing it well. Feel free to boo a professional sportsman who is doing a better job than anyone else in his sport, and wonder why everyone is laughing at you.

Indeed, Webber has ignored team orders too, the only significant difference being that he tried to pass and failed.

BHR, have a Snickers. You turn into a right diva when you're hungry.

Seems this Vettel, booing debate has taking over just about every thread nowadays :/

As far as I'm concerned, "haters are going to hate" (for various reasons: Jealousy, greed, the need to see you fail/erradicated, etc.) ...and it shouldn't come as any suprise or let it bother you at the end of the day. It will most likely always be a part of society/this world as long as we are in a fight for resources. Probably half the people who run this country (who should be above it all) are 2 faced/scum bags IMO with special interest, so why would it come as any suprise that a signifcant portion of societies motives be any different at the core.

Sorry to get rather philosophical...but this is the ugly reality. Haters going to hate :lol:

I'm going with a wild prediction and say Kimi is going to win...

...If he sabotages Seb's Red Bull :lol:

Seems this Vettel, booing debate has taking over just about every thread nowadays :/

As far as I'm concerned, "haters are going to hate" (for various reasons: Jealousy, greed, the need to see you fail/erradicated, etc.) ...and it shouldn't come as any suprise or let it bother you at the end of the day. It will most likely always be a part of society/this world as long as we are in a fight for resources. Probably half the people who run this country (who should be above it all) are 2 faced/scum bags IMO with special interest, so why would it come as any suprise that a signifcant portion of societies motives be any different at the core.

Sorry to get rather philosophical...but this is the ugly reality. Haters going to hate :lol:

The sad thing is that people boo the opponent who is beating their favorite instead of criticizing the ones they follow for not performing to the standard. But as you said, Haters gonna hate... It's just a damn shame that's all.

Vettel has not made F1 boring, the drivers and teams who are failing to perform to his level is what is making it boring.

Well I haven't even walked into the room yet...howdy folks! :lol:

Let's see...bingo card for F1 2013:
Blondie waltz away with no competition
"Suspicious" mechanical failure on Webber's car only
Mercedes strong in Practice only
Massa hopeless all weekend
Alonso keeps repeating PR mantra, despite qualifying 4th row
Lotus to finish on podium
Mandatory Kimi reference to '05 (👍:sly:👍)
Mandatory Michibata references and shots to hide Mclaren's poor showing
Di Resta to crash out of qualifying/race due to driver error
Chilton to be utterly last in every event over the weekend

missed anything?

Oh!
Who are 'we'? Isn't this 'I'?
I think you'll find the ABV Army - now joined by Clarkson! - will be in full attendance over the weekend, as always!

Vettel has not made F1 boring, the drivers and teams who are failing to perform to his level is what is making it boring.
His level? Yes, I suppose 'The Old Reptonian' does have a level to himself. Oh, you actually meant...him...:lol: How silly! :lol:

In reply to your equally impressive, engaging, useful and pointless comment 👍

As opposed to anything you have ever posted.

What you do instead is try to make fun of my post which was a reply to someone else. It is only reasonable that I assume you have no clue about anything since a reasonable person would have come up with an argument as to why my statement was invalid.

May I please be given a direct link to where I may block him? I don't know how to do it myself.

What happened to this board? It used to be full of members that had very interesting posts with proof to back up their arguments. I used to lurk around here just read very well constructed arguments by prisionmonkeys or ardius. Now everything is, MY OPININ THIS and MY OPINION THAT. The only valid opinions are those of people who have experience about the topic being discussed. Any idiot would be a college professor otherwise. Didn't Famine post something about this a while back?

It amazes me how some people (you guys can guess who :P) continue to pay to watch something they seem to hate watching.

Also by their logic, Senna must of been a bad driver as he never won from lower than 5th.

As for the race, not expecting a lot, Suzuka isn't exactly the best of places for overtaking.

.As opposed to anything you have ever posted.
Oooohhh big talk there! :rolleyes: Yawn...

What you do instead is try to make fun of my post which was a reply to someone else.
I wasn't making fun, you were doing that already. I simply pointed it out and laughed even harder. :lol:

It is only reasonable that I assume you have no clue about anything since a reasonable person would have come up with an argument as to why my statement was invalid.
Reasonable this, reasonable that - have you actually stepped outside into the real world?

What happened to this board?
This ain't no Eton moneybags place boyo...:lol:

All right guys, stop the personal digs at each other. At once.

Take the personal discussion to Personal Messages.

The topic is the 2013 Japanese Grand Prix...

Here, here. The difference we need to all keep in mind that unlike Ronaldo, unlike guys in most any other sport, race drivers are risking their life, every time they go out on track.
I think over the past several years more top-division football/soccer players died on the field than F1 drivers in an F1 car.

All right guys, stop the personal digs at each other. At once.

Take the personal discussion to Personal Messages.

The topic is the 2013 Japanese Grand Prix...

Are you implying we shouldn't fill the entire thread with Vettel hate posts? I bet you're a Vettel fanboy, aren't you? He cheats, it's all the car and everyone else is obeying the rules perfectly including Webber so only Vettel can win. The sport sucks with him in it and I definitely don't still get up in the middle of the night to watch it anyway. :D

Okay, I'll be serious now. Vettel has always been strong here and he's obviously going to take some stopping again. I do quite fancy him to bag the championship here, Alonso got a DNF last time I think, could easily happen again.

I expect Vettel to win this grand prix barring any mechanical issues with his car. He has always performed very well here. Alonso likely will not do too bad himself so I doubt the championship will end here. Does anyone know what the weather will be like?

At this point, it would take a miracle for Vettel not to win the championship. I'd rather he just win it here and get it over with. Then we can get on with watching the interesting parts of the standings.

Can Hamilton and Kimi catch Alonso? Can Merc beat Ferrari in the constructors? Who wins out of Sauber and Toro Rosso? Can McLaren beat Force India? (Who thought we'd ever be saying that?)

Plenty of interesting things going on, just not at the front of the field.

I don't seem to remember him ignoring them. I remember he tried to overtake Vettel in the last two laps and got alongside him coming out of Brooklands onto the old finish straight. Then Horner tells him to back off and he did so until the end.

I do have to state that Vettel has never boasted about past titles and does not show an "entitlement" attitude to winning them. He fully acknowledges that he is winning due to the great car the team supplies and his hard work. So I don't understand where people get his "attitude" problems from.

Come on, he's not bad but don't kid yourself. His attitude comes out when his car isn't dominant which is why we rarely see it.

I think over the past several years more top-division football/soccer players died on the field than F1 drivers in an F1 car.

So lets say there are about 400 football players per top league, lets say there are 5 top divisions in the world that would be considered highly competitive. 400x5=2000 probably averaging about 20 games a year each, 2000x20=40,000. So in a year there are about 40,000 opportunities for a player to die on the field where as F1 it is 22x19=418. 40,000/418 is roughly 96 so for every year you look at for football you would need to look at 96 years of Formula 1 and then compare the deaths.

Last edited:
I thinks it's an overstatement to say F1 drivers are risking their lives every time they go out on track. It would take quite a lot for an F1 driver to be killed nowadays, I mean short of a blow to the head they are completely safe.

I thinks it's an overstatement to say F1 drivers are risking their lives every time they go out on track. It would take quite a lot for an F1 driver to be killed nowadays, I mean short of a blow to the head they are completely safe.

I don't think it's so much that an F1 car is necessarily dangerous, because it's rare that something goes seriously wrong.

But when stuff goes wrong in F1, it has the potential to go very, very wrong. What if instead of having blowouts at Silverstone in the middle of a huge paddock, they had tyres blowing out at Singapore with walls metres away? When Webber's wheel came off and hit that cameraman, that could easily have killed him had it hit the wrong way. Grosjean was inches from taking Alonso's head off last year. Webber got unbelievably lucky when he flipped off the back of Heikki's car at Valencia and walked away. The list goes on.

My opinion is that F1 has been quite lucky for some time now. We've seen deaths in other motorsport series, quite recently. While there's stuff about F1 that potentially makes it safer, they're also doing 300+kph in open wheelers. It's hardly without risk.

I think it's a completely fair statement that they're risking their lives every time they go out. The risk is maybe not so much that they expect to see someone die every year as in the days of yore. But I'd say they're orders of magnitude more likely to die doing what they do than I am sitting in an office.

Back