2013 Formula 1 Santander German Grand Prix

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 395 comments
I think the number of bodies involved actually reduces the efficiency, in cases like this: With 16-20 people moving around, it's hard to notice one guy flailing his arms to signify "wait! the air gun jammed" or "no, no, no; the wheel nut became cross-threaded".

Indeed, that was one point Gary Anderson made. With all those people the difference between a hand in the air to signify it's done and an arm in the air saying "Hey, wait!" are hard to distinguish, again especially when the desire to be fast is the key for all teams.

Until it impacts every team, they're going to value four more tire-changers to gain six seconds per race, per the track. After all, some average mechanic's salary of $40k-60k (guessing) is far cheaper than spending millions on some carbon-fiber/aerodynamic doodad that will be obsolete or copied in six months. In an odd way, this is temporary cost-cutting for teams. Moar peoples!

Well this is true but it would only take the FIA to grow a set of balls and introduce some new rules. They shouldn't be waiting for something to happen again before they do something about the cause of the injury, this is far from the first time we've had an incident like this.

(This should really be its own topic, in my opinion; while it did occur in this thread's race, it's been a part of the sport for the past two seasons.)

I would agree.

I think the number of bodies involved actually reduces the efficiency, in cases like this: With 16-20 people moving around, it's hard to notice one guy flailing his arms to signify "wait! the air gun jammed" or "no, no, no; the wheel nut became cross-threaded".

Ted Kravitz reckoned they had 21 people on Webber's car, 3 on each wheel so that's 12 straight away, 2 people adjusting the front wing (14), front and rear jack man (16), two people keeping the car level on it's jacks (18) and a man who gives the signal to release the car but that's only 19. I sometimes wonder if going back to refuelling would actually be safer.

Imari
Almost the less people you have the more interesting it becomes. What if it was the two jacks and one guy running around changing all the wheels? :D
i'd really hate that, in NASCAR is like that and its rubbish to me.

Current f1 pit stops are fascinating, f1 should be about being the fastest in everything doing whatever you want, and now only on pits teams can do that.

Last edited:
Ted Kravitz reckoned they had 21 people on Webber's car, 3 on each wheel so that's 12 straight away, 2 people adjusting the front wing (14), front and rear jack man (16), two people keeping the car level on it's jacks (18) and a man who gives the signal to release the car but that's only 19. I sometimes wonder if going back to refuelling would actually be safer.

They also have a spare front and rear jack man.

Back