2013 Formula 1 Santander German Grand Prix

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 395 comments
DK
At least his skull's intact, surely a wheel travelling at 50km/h would have similar momentum to that of the average bullet? :eek:

...No not at all. It would be like a tire or something of similar mass hitting you. Also what do you mean by average bullet?

Last edited:
Well I can't wait for Hungary, I just hope MGP get their stuff together and come back at RBR.

Off Topic:
DK
A bullet of average weight being fired at the average speed you'd expect for a bullet, about ~1,000km/h or so.

...there isn't an average is what I'm telling you. I'm an avid shooter on the fanatic end like I am with F1. And a bullet of the same caliber doesn't have the same speed or weight as you'd think. Nor do bullets have an average speed over caliber ranges, the speed a 9mm travels compared to a .338 Lapua.

Good luck trying to find a bullet that travels that speed, from this century or last

Just to let you know, that's part of the reason people start crap about Vettel. You could have done without that.
Exactly, that doesn't help Vettel fame at all. I know some italian Vettel supporters and most of them act like 12 years old kids on the internet. Maybe because they are?

DK
A bullet of average weight being fired at the average speed you'd expect for a bullet, about ~1,000km/h or so.

A typical bullet packs much, much less energy than a good kick to the chest. Which is why most shooters don't come back from the range bruised and wheezing from the kickback. Feel that jolt in your shoulders when you fire? That's more force than your target will get.

But he's getting that force transferred through a sharp pointy bit at the end of the bullet. Which is why it makes a nice neat hole in him. Or it could be a hollow point, and make a nice jagged, bleeding hole.

That tire was carrying a hell of a lot more energy than a bullet, but spread out over a much, much larger area, hence, less fatal.

I've played Call of Duty, a knife is more lethal than an entire magazine unloaded point blank.

Last edited:
DK
At least his skull's intact, surely a wheel travelling at 50km/h would have similar momentum to that of the average bullet? :eek:

I only saw it once and have zero desire to watch it again but I'm pretty sure it struck him at waist/chest height, which would explain the injuries he received.

Red Bull and Force India were both fined for their Pit Stop incidents:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/7/14783.html

Heh. I had to be reminded about Force India. I was thinking, what did they do in the pits? Then I read it and remember Di Resta getting in the way of JEV. But to me it seemed ok. I figured that's how pits are, sketchy and intimate. But hey, the fine is reasonable for the incident.

Still waiting on what the hell went on with Alonso's car at the end of the race. I have a feeling it was running out fuel, but I'm crossing my fingers it was something else that won't infringe apon his finish.

It was an odd spin though and when was the last time you saw a driver spin and the anti-stall not kick in? It's seemingly been years, very strange.

It was an odd spin though and when was the last time you saw a driver spin and the anti-stall not kick in? It's seemingly been years, very strange.

Apparently the car got stuck in 5th gear, which somehow caused the car to spin... That's what the Beeb said anyway.

Edit: beaten to it.

Well at least in the post-race interviews, Hamilton apologizes.

But most damning? Kimi speaks (Copied from Autosport):
Kimi Raikkonen suspects he might not have needed the final pitstop that cost him the lead of the German Grand Prix.

As rivals Sebastian Vettel and Romain Grosjean came in with around 20 laps to go for new mediums, Raikkonen stayed out and assumed the lead for Lotus.

But having last pitted during the mid-race safety car, Raikkonen ultimately stopped for softs 10 laps from the finish.

He subsequently reclaimed second from Lotus team-mate Grosjean, but fell one second shy of catching Vettel for victory.

"I could run longer and we had to think about if we should try to run until the end," said Raikkonen.

"But I had massive problem with the radio. I could hear the team but they couldn't hear me, apart from at two corners.

"I wonder if we should have gone to the end as the tyres were OK."

Cracker of a race. Hard to single out any of the drivers because, Massa excepted, they ALL did fine jobs. Special props though to Vettel, Raikkonen and Grosjean for the work up front and Maldonado for giving Williams a chance at points.

Edit: Quick thought on Raikkonen's last stop, hindsight being 20/20 and all Lotus probably should have kept him out and counted on the fact it was taking closely-matched guys 2+ laps to get the full benefit of DRS. But Kimi acknowledged that his radio troubles made it hard for them to coordinate strategy.

I also didn't like the safety car situation, by the time it came out the car was actually safe and it stayed out far too long. The safety car is meant to neutralise the race for safety reasons, I don't see why it should also be an excuse to 'reset' the race. Sure let Webber pass but once he's past the safety car that should be it, not waiting until he's caught the train. A waste of two or three laps there with no safety issues on the track.

Agreed with this 👍

#7: Mark Webber: Just how bad is everyone else compared to Red Bull? Mark was one lap down before the safety car, and passed every number two except Grosjean before the end. Seventh place from dead last in half-a-race. Now if only Sebastian would stop sticking his chewing gum to Webber's wheel-nut before each race...

Agreed 👍. I wonder after the last two races what would've happened if he was incident-free...
It just happens to be a great coincidence that it happened to him... :rolleyes: And yes, the medical bill for the injured cameraman should come out of the paychecks of the pit crew.

Major:

- Alonso crawling all over Lewis's tailpipes.

- Grosjean, uncharacteristically in great form, yelling at the team to let him through, as he was faster than Kimi during the first half of the race.

- Hamilton complaining to the pit crew that they apparently had different tires to everyone else. Must have felt like he was in an alternate universe...

- Webber Smash. Wait, that was his tire.

- The haunted Marussia.

- Great battles for positions behind the leaders near the end.

Heh. I had to be reminded about Force India. I was thinking, what did they do in the pits? Then I read it and remember Di Resta getting in the way of JEV. But to me it seemed ok. I figured that's how pits are, sketchy and intimate. But hey, the fine is reasonable for the incident.

Still waiting on what the hell went on with Alonso's car at the end of the race. I have a feeling it was running out fuel, but I'm crossing my fingers it was something else that won't infringe apon his finish.

I think he did run out of fuel but I'm pretty sure that won't affect the result anyway, if I recall correctly running out of fuel after qualifying is punishable but if it happens after the race nothing happens.

I think he did run out of fuel but I'm pretty sure that won't affect the result anyway, if I recall correctly running out of fuel after qualifying is punishable but if it happens after the race nothing happens.

What is the major difference between the 2 that means 1 is punishable and not the other? In qualifying it means you ran a faster lap without carrying enough fuel to coast home after and give a fuel sample. In the race it means you ran a faster pace without carrying enough fuel to coast home after and give a fuel sample.

If I was running my team, they would both be out of fuel at turn 1 after the Chequered flag. Even if they are on the podium, I'm sure everyone would wait for my drivers to hop onto the waiting scooters and get back to the pitlane...

The difference is that unforseen circumstances could cause you to run out of fuel in a two hour race. If you run out of fuel after just two or three laps on track, chances are you did it on purpose.

Next year there is a hard limit on fuel use, so you probably won't see this kind of thing again.

I also didn't like the safety car situation, by the time it came out the car was actually safe and it stayed out far too long. The safety car is meant to neutralise the race for safety reasons, I don't see why it should also be an excuse to 'reset' the race. Sure let Webber pass but once he's past the safety car that should be it, not waiting until he's caught the train. A waste of two or three laps there with no safety issues on the track.

I completely disagree. My thoughts go back to Singapore 2011. An incident between Schumacher and Perez prompted a safety car which wiped out Vettel's lead. This would give Button the opportunity to overtake on the restart. Before the safety car, Button was catching Vettel at the rate of a second per lap.

What actually happened was Kobayashi let Vettel past and then ignored the blue flags, holding Jenson up for an entire lap. By the end of a single lap, Vettel had an 8 second lead. Button finished 1.7 seconds behind Vettel, he could've done with that 8 seconds.

There have been many other similar incidents, but this one stands out for me.

Letting the lapped cars pass levels the playing field and insures that lapped cars do not interfere with the racing.

What is the major difference between the 2 that means 1 is punishable and not the other? In qualifying it means you ran a faster lap without carrying enough fuel to coast home after and give a fuel sample. In the race it means you ran a faster pace without carrying enough fuel to coast home after and give a fuel sample.

If I was running my team, they would both be out of fuel at turn 1 after the Chequered flag. Even if they are on the podium, I'm sure everyone would wait for my drivers to hop onto the waiting scooters and get back to the pitlane...

I think you underestimate the number of variables that affect fuel consumption in a race.

Last edited:
Back