2013 Formula 1 Santander German Grand Prix

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 395 comments
Yeah saw that earlier, just after Bernie was confident there would be no walk. Let's just hope the tyres AND the teams play ball in practice.

"And here at the Nurburgring after qualifying we have a Marusia front row lock out"

Even if it was just Marrusia, Caterham and HRT I bet HRT would finish outside the points. :lol:

Famine
All they have to do is put them on the right way round or inflate them properly. Job jobbed!

And stay on the actual parts of the track, just like most rank amateurs do.

They came close this last race. Got lucky.

Then again, most of the faster guys came very close.

I still recall the race where Newey's team ran camber in excess of the limits set by Pirelli, and got so much blistering in qualifying that they sat on the pitwall agonizing over whether the cars would make it to the end or not.

Pirelli put its foot down after that.

Adrian Newey sometimes reminds me of Ender Wiggins (Don't forget, Ender's Game is coming out on the big screen!). His team comes up with some incredible solutions that will only work a few times before they're banned. Once those solutions are banned, they come up with something else.

Perhaps people wouldn't moan so much about Red Bull winning if they realized the incredible amount of work the team has to do every year to keep loophole-closing regulations from making them slower than the guys who never found the loopholes in the first place.

And yet, they never suffered a tyre failure.

Newey inspecting Vettel's tire:
jM89ADM.jpg

Early issues for Fernando's car (ECU system) and the KERS on Vettel's car. I'm going to say MGP win this weekend, just based on pace right now. Clearly those cars will be fixed by FP2.

EDIT:
Fernando now out of the car, and it looks like it wont be a quick fix and he doesn't seem very happy at all.

I can't recall the last time I saw a team look this much faster in practice, Vettel was miles ahead in Austin practice last year but I think that was related to the fact that the track is very unique and it was the first time there.

Yes and the ferrari's showed good speed un full fuel loads...could be a very interesting gp !!

Mind you,looks like Sunday will be blue skies and 25+ c ,so again very different than today....

Spy.

For me, it seems to be a fight between MGP and RBR, again... After both P1 and P2, I can't see any other cars than the Mercedes and the Red Bulls grab the victory on sunday.
But you might never underestimate Alonso. He is the driver, who can pull out maximum of that (shaky) Ferrari!

Found this interesting article on the F1 website on facts about the F1 racing history at the Nurburgring. Some of the more interesting facts that could be taken into account when considering the contenders for the driver's championship:

The most recent German Grand Prix at the Nurburgring took place in 2011 and was won by Lewis Hamilton for McLaren. Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso was second and Red Bull’s Mark Webber was third.

Fernando Alonso has the best record of any current driver in Germany. The Spaniard has won the German Grand Prix three times, the same number of times as Juan Manuel Fangio, Jackie Stewart, Nelson Piquet and Ayrton Senna. He’s also won twice at the Nurburgring (in 2005 and 2007 when it held the European Grand Prix). Mark Webber (2009) and Lewis Hamilton (2008, 2011) are the only other current drivers to have won either in Germany or specifically at the Nurburgring.

Germany must be Kimi Raikkonen’s most unlucky country to compete in. The Finn has raced there 16 times but has never won and has retired from the German Grand Prix on six occasions.

Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel has never won his home event, making it one of just three Grands Prix on the calendar he hasn’t won (the others are Hungary and the USA). His best result in Germany is second in 2009. He's also never won a race in the month of July...

If you read the thread you'll see that someone else already answered this... 💡

Spy.

Considering, that I gave the specific answer that user asked for only a couple post above him is the reason for me telling him that. Despite Samus also posting similar to what I said prior to me, I'm well aware of it. So...

So it looks like Sky have picked up on the Di Resta bandwagon the BBC have been on for a while.

What? Sky has always been rooting for Di Resta as far as this year goes, they are usually better about it though. If Di Resta makes a mistake they will give him a bit of criticism, but then jump back on the wagon.

I think he's a good driver and has been doing a good job this year, so I don't see the reason for dislike that isn't directly based on him.

Latest Posts

Back