2014-2015 English Football League Promotion/Relegation

• Thread starter Famine
  • 142 comments
I can't believe Derby have imploded the way they have, I thought when Martin came back they'd be unstoppable with Bent and Ince in the form they were.

The Championship IS the best football division in the world. Absolute fact.

It's worth a note that we've played every team in the top 5 twice except Watford and we haven't failed to take a point from any of them (Bournemouth, Lost-Drew; Middlesbrough, Won-Won; Norwich, Lost-Drew; Derby, Lost-Drew) - in fact the only team in the top 8 to have done the double on us are Wolves... We lost to Watford the first time we played them and play them again on the final day of the season :D
I'm not saying nothing.

Okay, maybe I'll laugh a bit.

Who is going to clinch the final Premier League spot? It's going to be Boro? The Tractor Boys? The Bees? Or it's going to be The Canaries? Brace yourselves, the Play-Offs starts now!

I do love the Championship. What an incredible final day. Derby losing 3-0 to Reading and missing out on the play off's; Sheffield Wednesday denying Watford the chance to be champions in the last minute and 1 point separating 5th and 8th.

Sheffield Wednesday denying Watford the chance to be champions in the last minute
Two weeks after stopping Bournemouth getting automatic promotion... by scoring in the last minute :lol:

And doing the double over Boro. We've been real party-poopers this year. Unfortunately we've finished in the bottom half of the table (on goals scored!), after having the 4th best defence in the league. I'd say it's because we have the 4th worst attack.

Blackpool vs. Huddersfield was abandoned after 48 minutes due to a pitch invasion. No idea what will happen there, but nothing is affected.

Unfortunately we've finished in the bottom half of the table (on goals scored!), after having the 4th best defence in the league. I'd say it's because we have the 4th worst attack.

Almost identical to Wrexham's season; poor attack but lean defence. We even did the double over the champions. However we did finish 11th after an end of season run of form and have a new manager.

Blackpool vs. Huddersfield was abandoned after 48 minutes due to a pitch invasion. No idea what will happen there, but nothing is affected.

The only thing at stake was Huddersfield jumping from 16th to 15th ahead of Leeds had they won. One might imagine a 3-0 walkover for Huddersfield confirming such an outcome due to the fracas being Blackpool fans on their own turf but the game was only 0-0 at half time.

Just looking at the run-ins in the Premier League...

Burnley must win all of their remaining games while three of the four teams about them fail to get any points - so they're pretty much down regardless of the opponents (Hull, Stoke, Villa).
QPR are pretty much in the same situation - they could get enough points with one draw, but they'd also need an 8 goal swing in goal difference from their two wins and their opponents. It's possible though - they play Man City, Newcastle and Leicester.
Sunderland are next up and have to score 1 more point in 4 games than the teams above score in three. That's survivable - and it's Everton, Leicester, Arsenal and Chelsea. The last of those will be sending out a youth team because the title's going to be done very shortly.
Then it's Leicester. They've got two of the bottom three (QPR, Sunderland), one of whom will probably already be relegated, and freefall Southampton. I suspect they'll survive.
Hull have got four game too - Arsenal, bottom Burnley, Spurs and Manchester United. The Burnley points will probably be enough.
Just above Hull are Newcastle, and they're in deep poop. West Brom, QPR and West Ham... and they've lost the last 8 games in a row...

I think it's most likely that Burnley are down already - they just won't know about it until next Saturday. QPR can wriggle free, but the kick in the teeth that is Man City is first up and they'll go down the same day... but for the third spot..?

I'm betting on Newcastle.

What is Newcastle's run in? They have lost eight consecutive games as it is.

Edit: Misread the post. Disregard.

League One
Preston are up with a win.
But lost...
MK Dons can only pass them if they beat their result.
Did so and are promoted.
Coventry need to win to be safe
Done and done.
Crewe are less secure due to an awful -31 goal difference. Again a win will keep them safe, but if they draw they will go down if the three teams below them win (and Coventry draw).
They drew, but:
Notts County will be secure if they win, but they will be relegated if they draw while Crawley, Colchester and Leyton Orient win.
They lost, and go down.
Crawley are more perilous but can be safe if they better Notts County's result
They didn't, so also went down.
Colchester and Leyton Orient are in a mire that means nothing less than wins will do.
Leyton Orient didn't win and go down, while Colchester did and stay up.

Colchester and Crawley are both managed by former Wrexham alumni so I had been keeping tabs on them since about Christmas. Don't like Crawley even if they are managed by Dean Saunders and Mathias Pogba scored for them. Made up for Tony Humes though. Colchester looked dead and buried and missed a penalty. What a way to claw yourself out of the relegation places. They were second bottom for a long time.

As for Preston, Colchester's opponents, they were undefeated in 18 and hadn't failed to score in 29. Both of those were the longest running sequences in the country until today! Crazy.

I love the Football League.

Congrats to MK Dons, they have been trying to get promoted for the last five years I believe, they always seemed to be in the play-offs...

Congrats to MK Dons, they have been trying to get promoted for the last five years I believe, they always seemed to be in the play-offs...

Wimbledon are back in the Championship for the first time since they moved to Milton Keynes. Go figure.

2 points between 14th Aston Villa and 18th Sunderland (although Sunderland have a game in hand). Very close. QPR and Burnley are pretty much relegated, now its pretty much who will be the final one.

Yep. In simple terms a loss or draw will do it. Or a win + the right combo of results from teams 14-18. Same for QPR, except that a draw might mathematically keep them up for another week.

They have a tough game as well, away to Hull who are fighting themselves, another big game at the bottom tomorrow is Newcastle v West Brom...

I don't know who I want to go down more, Villa, Newcastle or Sunderland. In an idea world, all three would go down, but as it stands, they're safe with QPR and Burnley looking sunk.

Today's shenanigans

Hull City - Burnley
Burnley will be relegated if

• Burnley lose
  • Burnley draw
  • Burnley win AND
    • Sunderland win AND
    • Leicester City win AND
    • Newcastle United at least draw AND
    • Aston Villa at least draw

QPR don't play today but
QPR will be relegated if

• Any four from Sunderland, Hull City, Leicester City, Newcastle United & Aston Villa win

QPR don't play today but
QPR will be relegated if

• Any four from Sunderland, Hull City, Leicester City, Newcastle United & Aston Villa win

They're still in with a (mathematically possible) shout I believe.

They're still in with a (mathematically possible) shout I believe.
That was yesterday - if four of those five teams had won they'd have been relegated without playing. Only three of them did so they didn't go down.

Today though they play Manchester City and if they do not win they are down.

Not looking god for QPR at all, City are 2-0 up at half time and are cruising....

And are the first team relegated from the Premier League despite not being the bottom team...

Similar to Bournemouth pipping already-promoted Watford to the Championship title.

CD_3-xdUIAALwli.png

Back