2014 Belgian Grand Prix

How do you figure, pushing off a driver like Magnussen did is in violation it's fine to drive defensive with in reason. Having crew members on the track is just as bad as him not lining up in his grid box correctly and getting a penalty like Alonso. They're in the rule book they need to be followed and not just given up because you don't like them. Nico seeing an opening that Hamilton said he gave room for to prevent collision, and Nico saw as an opening to pass is a racing incident.

IF you don't see it as one I guess we should go back and give Vettel and Hamilton one for Germany.
20 seconds to Mangussen for harsh defending, nothing happend to Rosberg for causing a puncture at race leader. There was no room to complete the pass.

Once again FIA decisions are based on convenience not on fairness.

You'd just look like a bit of a plank. But like I say, it wouldn't be the first time Lewis had said something stupid. If it is true, I'd be tempted to sack Nico, put someone more compliant in the car, and use team orders for the rest of the season.

Why? The guy is a race car driver he's out for wins the team is light years ahead of the rest of the competition. These guys are doing this to be remembered at the end of it all, you don't get remembered for almost championship titles. Also I'm hearing others reports (reading rather) that Lewis actually said Nico purposely didn't back of which isn't the same as what the other reports are saying.
20 seconds to Mangussen for harsh defending, nothing happend to Rosberg for causing a puncture at race leader. There was no room to complete the pass.

Once again FIA decisions are based on convenience not on fairness.

Sure there was room, Hamilton admits he gave room and Nico thought Lewis was allowing room to have a clean pass. It was misjudged a bit (at this point) and the room ran out and Nico tried to back off but to no avail. That's quite different from deliberately running your opponent off the track because you're at your last resort, and don't want Ron breathing fire on you after the race due to losing out.

Also another HKS conspiracy that the racing body is against the true spirit of racing.

Even anyone who has experience racing Spa online in GT6 knows the move Rosberg tried would never work unless you were fully alongside the defending car going into the left turn. When racing online I have seen exactly that type of move mirrored on the exact corner dozens of times and it only ever works without contact if the overtaking car is considerably faster in terms of cornering grip/speed and the defending driver is compliant.

Drivers racing online are often more aggressive than real life because no damage, so they follow the exact same line as Rosberg and it always results in cars colliding. Rosberg was expecting Hamilton to give him space but he effectively squeezed him by just taking the normal racing line.

Rosberg should have known what was inevitably going to happen and either backed out or cut the corner. Later in the race you see Button trying a similar sort of move, realising it wasn't going to stick then lifting out of it and moving back onto the racing line.

I can't believe Rosberg would cause a collision on purpose, but he should be experienced enough to know that move was never going to work and waited for a better opportunity to pass.

The penalty for Magnussen was for forcing Alonso onto the grass at 200mph on the straight, not his defending in the corners in the following laps. Ferrari chose to send their mechanics back onto the track to get Alonso going during the 15 seconds prior to the cars leaving the grid, which is a clear rule that the teams are well aware of.
Rosberg was loitering on the outside of Hamilton and slightly clipped his rear tyre, clumsy and poorly judged but hardly the same as the others.

EDIT: After reading the links from @IforceV8 post, I retract my statement of poorly judged and now think Mercedes should be penalizing him in some form. Deliberate contact should never be tolerated in motorsport of any level.

Last edited:
Sure there was room, Hamilton admits he gave room and Nico thought Lewis was allowing room to have a clean pass. It was misjudged a bit (at this point) and the room ran out and Nico tried to back off but to no avail. That's quite different from deliberately running your opponent off the track because you're at your last resort, and don't want Ron breathing fire on you after the race due to losing out.

Also another HKS conspiracy that the racing body is against the true spirit of racing.
Not even an investigation.
I can't believe Rosberg would cause a collision on purpose, but he should be experienced enough to know that move was never going to work and waited for a better opportunity to pass.
That's why he should be penalized WHEN you penalize Magnussen for harsh defending.

Thought it was a racing incident between Nico and Lewis. I can't see a season without one or two. Could've easily gone against Nico.

Lewis needs to keep going, things can turn around pretty quickly.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the tape yet, so my opinions are only provisional, but ...

Good on ya, Nico.

Somewhere, sometime he had to send Hamilton the message he wouldn't back out of a move just because Hamilton closed the door. First race after Hungary -- where Lewis gave the team the finger and also engaged in some dodgy last-lap door closing -- was as good a time as any.

Well at least Nico Rosberg was honest about his intentions when he could have played dumb. Will be interesting to see how team deal with it and if FIA will get involved at all.

Good on ya, Nico.

Somewhere, sometime he had to send Hamilton the message he wouldn't back out of a move just because Hamilton closed the door. First race after Hungary -- where Lewis gave the team the finger and also engaged in some dodgy last-lap door closing -- was as good a time as any.

It amazes me how much nonsense is in this thread.

Good on ya, Nico.

I can understand the ignoring team to close the points deficit, but the move on the last of that lap then wasn't dodgy. First off Lewis was on an old tire and Nico never was along side him for the pass anyways. Also you send the message by waiting for the DRS zone that is up the track and then making the pass and sail away if you are indeed much faster.

Also I don't see how Lewis closed the door on him (since you didn't see the video you shouldn't say this anyway) he was taking the normal racing line.

Not even an investigation.

That's why he should be penalized WHEN you penalize Magnussen for harsh defending.

Nico wasn't doing harsh defending, not seeing the correlation here. Also sure an investigation for these things is always in order, that part I agree should have happened and perhaps it did unofficially like many other incidents this season. (E.g. Vettel and Alonso Silverstone). Also I'm surprised none of you have defended Lewis with his own incident at Singapore in 2011 when he did basically the same thing as Nico here and got a penalty.

Good on ya, Nico.

Nah, doesn't matter how much of an self-centered irritation your team mate is, you can't actively sabotage your teams prospects - I'm sure any company in the real world would consider that type of action as gross misconduct, and act accordingly.

The penalty for Magnussen was for forcing Alonso onto the grass at 200mph on the straight, not his defending in the corners in the following laps.
If you google translate this article they said the opposite.
They penalized Magnussen not for the crazy move at 200mph (wich indeed deserved maybe something more than 20 seconds) but for pushing Alonso out of track and the consequent loss of positions on Vettel and Button.
http://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/gp-belgio-magnussen-penalizzato-alonso-settimo/

Now let me say Rosberg caused a big loss on Lewis, from 1st to last, even if he didn't on purpose he still caused a puncure and the biggest loss of positions possible. First to last. If this isn't enough for at least an investigation than I don't know what it could be.

Good on ya, Nico.

The rules of racing are that the guy in front and/or inside has the right to the racing line, pretty simple really. If you don't like it, that's tough, that's the rules and the drivers know them very well. Nothing wrong with closing the door on the guy behind as long as they are less than half a car length behind, everybody does it. In this incident, one driver stayed on their racing line while the other went for a pass that was never going to hapen while coming from behind.

Saying that it was a 'good' thing there was unnecessary contact between two drivers is a poor comment to make regardless of the who/what/when/why/where.

If you google translate this article they said the opposite.
They penalized Magnussen not for the crazy move at 200mph (wich indeed deserved maybe something more than 20 seconds) but for pushing Alonso out of track and the consequent loss of positions on Vettel and Button.
http://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/gp-belgio-magnussen-penalizzato-alonso-settimo/

Now let me say Rosberg caused a big loss on Lewis, from 1st to last, even if he didn't on purpose he still caused a puncure and the biggest loss of positions possible. First to last. If this isn't enough for at least an investigation than I don't know what it could be.

“The driver of car 20 [Magnussen] was defending his position on the straight between turns 4 and 5,” read the official stewards report. “A significant portion of car 14 [Alonso] was alongside car 20. The driver of car 20 did not leave enough space for car 14 and forced the car off the track.”
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/8/16255.html

Nah, doesn't matter how much of an self-centered irritation your team mate is, you can't actively sabotage your teams prospects - I'm sure any company in the real world would consider that type of action as gross misconduct, and act accordingly.

In Hungary, Hamilton DID actively sabotage the team's prospects. Without consequence, I should not have to add.

It is quite interesting reading further stuff Lewis has said and team stance on it too, one would think Nico is in quite a bit of trouble. I wonder if at all any chance of him being terminated from the team by Toto or even for a race. I hope also Lewis does not do anything silly next race but I'm sure he will definitely be even more alert going by kind of mentality Nico Rosberg seems to be in at the moment.

In Hungary, Hamilton DID actively sabotage the team's prospects. Without consequence, I should not have to add.

The team did admit that they called it incorrectly though in the end in that case.

That aside, hitting your team-mate is on a whole new level.

That doesn't translate to knocking him out of the race, or even ramming Hamilton even. That's a completely different level of retaliation.

I don't care how you try to twist it. How can someone justify deliberately taking out their own teammate? Or any other driver for that matter?

The team has been in full PR-spin mode to protect itself from the baying British press.

Do you genuinely believe that stance?

A German owned team casting aside their German driver to satisfy the British public?

Of course, I do think that the management has been somewhat naive for different reasons.

Do you genuinely believe that stance?

A German owned team casting aside their German driver to satisfy the British public?

Of course, I do think that the management has been somewhat naive for different reasons.

I think he's saying his bit due to the team working out of Britain with a big time British driver, and many British engineers.

BpjOyqjCEAAaR7b.jpg

If Mercedes don't act to penalise Rosberg, I can't see Hamilton sticking around. Although, with 50 points on offer at Brazil Abu Dhabi that would be the best time for Lewis to 'settle' the score.

Back