2014 Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix

BzkBp4PIAAAW_NN.jpg:large

Magnussen has "done a Chris Brown", he thinks. For non-Brits... he's hit a bird.

Better than hitting a horse with horns I guess.

I see people on the Autosport forums are already whinging about the empty grandstands ... in the middle of a workday. As if every session needs to be sold out and the stands packed for the event to be remotely considered "successful".

Which begs the question of why I went into that cesspit in the first place.

That's because in Russia the race drives you, or something.

More on-topic; there's a drain cover inside the apex of Turn 2 (where the drivers are cutting the corner). Things like that make me very nervous since the underneath of Montoya's car was ripped out at... Istanbul's inaugural race? China 2005.

Fortunately in that case he hit it square-on with his enormous testicles and popped it back out of the other side of the world.

Last edited:
Perhaps his arse has fallen off.

FP1: 1) Rosberg 2) Hamilton 3) Button. What the hell is JB on this morning!?

How far off is he from the Merc guy's?

EDIT- Nevermind, it's 0.196secs gap between them. As much as I hope he stays there, someone has to be sandbaging here...

How far off is he from the Merc guy's?

EDIT- Nevermind, it's 0.196secs gap between them. As much as I hope he stays there, someone has to be sandbaging here...

Or burning an old engine. And, as noted in the Sky coverage, McLaren often do well on 'green' low-grip tracks. Would be good to see him do well here though, it's about time McLaren hooked that Mercedes lump up properly. (Not Norbert Hauer).

Or burning an old engine. And, as noted in the Sky coverage, McLaren often do well on 'green' low-grip tracks. Would be good to see him do well here though, it's about time McLaren hooked that Mercedes lump up properly. (Not Norbert Hauer).
They have been quite disappointing this year out of the Mercedes powered cars but some of that has to be as a result of a poor car design but I wouldn't go as far as blaming the whole season on the design team.

Hopefully next year with McLaren reuniting with Honda we could see McLaren get back to that 2008-10 form they had, although I'd prefer the late 80's - early 90's form. ;)

Either he's in contact negotiation mode or P1 is testing new bits so times are irrelevant since teams and drivers are running to their own schedules.

I don't think many of the drivers got clean laps together judging by the sector times and someone is always quite close to Merc to begin with, usually it's Alonso.

EDIT: Button is actually faster than Rosberg in FP1 if you go by best sector times.

Last edited:
It's hilarious how some officials were trying to hype up the circuit early on; but to no avail. My first thoughts upon seeing it in action? O HAI VALENCIA! Actually no, that's not fair on Valencia. Even that was better than this rubbish!

I'm waiting until the race to have a full verdict on the track, from what I've seen the surrounding area is better than Valencia eventhough the track looks similar to it.

Yes,the circuit doesn't look exciting at all...but nor does Valencia...but we have seen some great racing there.

Who knows,we could see a great race sunday...surely it will be close between the Mercs,behind them we could see a great fight with ferrari,Mclaren,williams etc etc...

Or,it we be a parade the whole race..

Lets see...i do think the straights are long enough for lots of (artificial drs)overtaking ...

Spy.

There are so few decent tracks in F1 nowadays... Spa, Suzuka, Monza, maybe Canada.

The rest are mainly...

1) Once great tracks that have been ruined; Silverstone, Hockenhiem
2) Tracks that simply don't work with modern F1 cars; Monaco, Hungaroring
3) Newly designed 'commercial' circuits

Sepang is about the only modern track I rate.

There are so few decent tracks in F1 nowadays... Spa, Suzuka, Monza, maybe Canada.

The rest are mainly...

1) Once great tracks that have been ruined; Silverstone, Hockenhiem
2) Tracks that simply don't work with modern F1 cars; Monaco, Hungaroring
3) Newly designed 'commercial' circuits

Sepang is about the only modern track I rate.
Say what you want but Hockenhiem worked well this year, and Melbourne is definitely one of the best races of the year consistently. Nurburgring when used always seems to provide an excellent race and is a better track then Hockenhiem.

then you have Interlagos which like Melbourne brings alot of unpredictability and is usually one of the best tracks on the calendar race wise.

As much as people might like monza reality is its not really a difficult track and most of the time provides a boring spectacle.

Back