2014 Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix

Lewis bossed that, super impressive. Looking forward to THR race, the gp2 race was actually quite good and because there is seemingly no escape from the track if you break down, sc seems pretty likely!

Hoping Button can get a podium given how good his race sim times where

Tbh qualifying probably isn't too important with that run to turn 2, I think Bottas still has a good chance at competing with the Mercs.

I think tomorrow will be telling for him.

Again, he's outqualified Ricciardo over the back half of the season, and he's outraced him at points. Vettel hasn't been too bad for a few races now.

But if he did decide to throw it in, I wouldn't blame him.

I'd be very disappointed, though. Throwing in the towel is not the mark of a champion.
In the back half of the season(from germany onwards) Ricciardo has scored 95 to Vettels 64, Vettel has outqualified Ricciardo 4 to 3 so its close in qualifying but in the races there is still that gap.

Tbh qualifying probably isn't too important with that run to turn 2, I think Bottas still has a good chance at competing with the Mercs.
Yeah, given how adept Nico is at over taking I'm worried for another incident like Spa... :/

In terms of power, yes, but where it gets interesting is probably with the pit stops. Rosberg (and Hamilton for that matter) said that the tyres stayed pretty cold throughout and so they don't have to think about the tyres at all, while the tyres of Bottas were heating up quite a lot, but then again Bottas drove like a maniac today. That power slide in the last turn of Q3 was quite a sight!

In the back half of the season(from germany onwards) Ricciardo has scored 95 to Vettels 64, Vettel has outqualified Ricciardo 4 to 3 so its close in qualifying but in the races there is still that gap.

Indeed. But it's important to note that Vettel seems to sometimes get the better starts and first stint pace, while Ricciardo outshines him in maintaining full race pace.

That indicates to me that Vettel's issue in the race is mostly due to tire wear with the new formula. Whether it's due to issues in braking or throttle control, however, I can't say.

Given the right strategy, however, Vettel can win this particular battle... but as he's starting off with an arm and a leg tied behind his back, I doubt he'll make much headway in this race.

If their team name isn't Mercedes AMG Petronas, they aren't winning this race.

If their team name isn't Mercedes AMG Petronas, they aren't winning this race.

That's (unfortunately) the truth I fear. While Bottas and his Williams are more than capable to beat both of them, I think his driving style is too aggressive and his tyre wear is a lot higher, because the Williams does suffer from quite a bit of oversteer.

Curious to see how McLaren does this weekend, the track seems to suit their car. Also keeping an eye on Kvyat, has been very good over the whole weekend, and obviously Force India. They usually suck in Qualifying, but they're incredibly consistent over the duration of the race, and since they're also using Mercedes engines, they have the power.

I heard DC saying today that someone is no longer using brake by wire. I missed the part about who it was, so has anyone heard this and can you tell me who it is?

All I know about something related to brake by wire is that Ericsson feels a lot more comfortable with his brake by wire since they changed it back to a previous config or something like that in Suzuka.

I haven't heard DC say anything though.

I heard DC saying today that someone is no longer using brake by wire. I missed the part about who it was, so has anyone heard this and can you tell me who it is?

Do you know if it was in the buildup or during the actual commentary?

Don't remember DC saying anything about braking by wire in quali. Was it FP3?

I'm liking the track quite a lot already. Beautiful place and the track looks very good on television. I'm sure Bernie is very pleased with the look. The long left hander might be a good place to gain some time. I'm expecting it to give some overtakes despite a lot of sharp turns.

Last edited:
If my memory serves me correct it was shortly after Q3.

Just checked the BBC iPlayer - it was about Ericsson, at the end of Q1. He had "no confidence in the braking zones" with the old system, so they've gone back to "something more analogue, a bit more GP2".

Jenson worryingly downbeat in BBC post-quali interview, after snagging an excellent fourth on the grid, though Magnusson wasn't exactly chipper either.

Jenson worryingly downbeat in BBC post-quali interview, after snagging an excellent fourth on the grid, though Magnusson wasn't exactly chipper either.

Well, McLaren had a very good pace, so I can kinda understand Magnussen there, but personally I'd be happy with the 4th pos

Roo
Just checked the BBC iPlayer - it was about Ericsson, at the end of Q1. He had "no confidence in the braking zones" with the old system, so they've gone back to "something more analogue, a bit more GP2".

Interesting. I guess if you're running a system that gains 2s a lap but you're losing 3s because it's undrivable... you may as well take it off.

I think a lot of people are pleasantly surprised by Sochi. There were a lot of complaints about the Korea/Abu Dhabi/Valencia-ness, but it's quickly revealed itself to be a deceptively-tricky technical circuit.

I think a lot of people are pleasantly surprised by Sochi. There were a lot of complaints about the Korea/Abu Dhabi/Valencia-ness, but it's quickly revealed itself to be a deceptively-tricky technical circuit.

The layout is pretty nice, but I'm not a fan of those walls and fences every where so close to the track..

The layout is pretty nice, but I'm not a fan of those walls and fences every where so close to the track..
I agree with you there, something like this could unfortunately happen with the walls and fence so close.
0.jpg

Everybody whinges that modern circuits don't punish driver errors. When a circuit is built that does punish errors, everyone whinges that it's not safe.

They're only that close to the track in areas where the track isn't changing direction.

If anything happens what makes the car not follow the natural line it would be a totally different story.

Everybody whinges that modern circuits don't punish driver errors. When a circuit is built that does punish errors, everyone whinges that it's not safe.

Even if you don't think about safety it's not really nice. I mean, the only nice looking track with walls everywhere is Bathurst.

Back