2014 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix

• Thread starter yzfmike
  • 305 comments
Qualifying was fun. Rosberg really pulled it out in Q3 after Lewis seems to have gassed out after his issues with his tires in Q2. Even though he got a new set in Q3 it seems he was thinking more about Sunday and lost his edge in the final runs in Q3. His brake issue didn't help either.

Hats off to Rosberg for putting it down when it counted; to Sutil as well, for getting Sauber into Q3 and giving them them an awesome shot at grabbing their first points. Checo did the best he could in the FI, they did a good job. Starts tenth, I think due to penalties for guys ahead. Gonna be an awesome race!

For those in the United States, here is the broadcast schedule:
(Times in Eastern Standard Time)
2 PM-2:30 PM: Pre-race (NBCSN)
2:30-3 PM: Pre-race Part 2 (NBC)
3 PM-5 PM: Race (NBC)
5 PM-6PM: Post Race (NBC)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know if the boycott is still a possibility?

Great qualifying session from Rosberg, starting on the clean side could be a huge advantage at the start tomorrow.

For trivia buffs: If Hamilton wins the championship this year, he will join the like of Farina in 1950, Hulme in 1967, Scheckter in 1979, Lauda in 1984, Piquet in 1987, Prost in 1989, Raikkonen in 2007 and Button in 2009 as drivers that won the driver's championship despite losing the qualifying battle to their\a season long teammate.

That would be something. I don't think any of us expected him to lose it this season... and for Nico to win it here in Austin... at a brand new track... should feel very thrilling for the young German.

-

However this season ends... as long as people can get over the little incidents and stop booing him... Nico has catapulted himself from a good driver, in many eyes, to a great one.

Well, at least in these eyes.

-

I'm still hoping Riccardo will win. :lol:

I've just watched the 2012 and 2013 starts and on both occasions the 2nd placed driver has been stuck behind 1st into T1 whilst P3 has taken them around the outside so getting a good start will be crucial for Lewis.

I've just watched the 2012 and 2013 starts and on both occasions the 2nd placed driver has been stuck behind 1st into T1 whilst P3 has taken them around the outside so getting a good start will be crucial for Lewis.
This sounds good for Bottas, but I'm sure both of the Mercedes cars will overtake him in very short time if he gets chance to pass them in T1.

Expecting Hamilton will still win even if he is 3rd by the end of the first few corners.

His Race pace is on another Level compared to Rosberg all season.

Expecting Hamilton will still win even if he is 3rd by the end of the first few corners.

His Race pace is on another Level compared to Rosberg all season.
Hmm, not quite. That's certainly been the case in the past few races, but Nico outpaced Lewis for victory in Austria. Yes, Hamilton started a couple of places behind Rosberg; but he pulled off some great overtakes, and was on Nico's tail by the end of the first lap. So they were racing each other for nearly the entire race.

Also, Monaco. I'm aware that it's extremely difficult to overtake there but fact of the matter is were Hamilton that much quicker, he would have jumped Nico with quick in/out laps during the pitstop window.

All that said, Rosberg of late has been dropping more balls than an adolescent boy band. So he needs to get that form back.

Hmm, not quite. That's certainly been the case in the past few races, but Nico outpaced Lewis for victory in Austria. Yes, Hamilton started a couple of places behind Rosberg; but he pulled off some great overtakes, and was on Nico's tail by the end of the first lap. So they were racing each other for nearly the entire race.

Also, Monaco. I'm aware that it's extremely difficult to overtake there but fact of the matter is were Hamilton that much quicker, he would have jumped Nico with quick in/out laps during the pitstop window.

All that said, Rosberg of late has been dropping more balls than an adolescent boy band. So he needs to get that form back.
Yes he has basically had him, only notable exception would be Spain where Rosberg had more Race Pace but couldn't find away past.

What you said about Monaco wasn't realistic considering the tyre situation of newer tyres being surpiror.

Yes he has basically had him, only notable exception would be Spain where Rosberg had more Race Pace but couldn't find away past.

What you said about Monaco wasn't realistic considering the tyre situation of newer tyres being surpiror.
Fair point; Nico was first in after all. I also wonder about Bahrain as Nico was all over the back of Lewis torwards the end; but then I can't recall what the tyre situation was then.

Fair point; Nico was first in after all. I also wonder about Bahrain as Nico was all over the back of Lewis torwards the end; but then I can't recall what the tyre situation was then.
Lewis was holding on to older tyres there where Rosberg pitted late with new tyres, the safety car then closed up the field after Rosbeg got the new tyres just before it happened and tbh the defence of Hamilton there was impressive to say the least.

Lewis was holding on to older tyres there where Rosberg pitted late with new tyres, the safety car then closed up the field after Rosbeg got the new tyres just before it happened and tbh the defence of Hamilton there was impressive to say the least.
And they were a grade softer, I was expecting Nico to pass him in a few corners then disappear. I'd say Nico was definitely faster in Catalunya but Lewis' race pace was compromised after the last stop when he said on the team radio to not put on a certain amount of front wing angle but they misheard/misunderstood him and within a couple of laps he was destroying his fronts.

I'd say in terms of race pace this season it has went something like this:

Aus: Impossible to say, in practice Hamilton was a few tenths off in terms of average lap time but he set his fastest lap at the end of a long stint which suggested he had something in hand.

Mal: Hamilton

Bah: Hamilton

Chi: Probably Hamilton, Rosberg had a bad start and although he recovered a lot he was far off in the end.

Spain: Probably Rosberg

Mon: Hamilton was on the back of Rosberg for the whole 1st stint without his tyres wearing due to the dirty air, he complained of having something in his helmet and his pace suddenly dropped at the end. I'll give it to Rosberg.

Can: This was close, Hamilton started catching Rosberg in the race and then we had the controversial cutting of the final chicane which allowed Rosberg to not only keep his position but gap Hamilton massively. Draw.

Austria: Hamilton, overtaking was very difficult here and in clean air towards the end of the race Hamilton flew up behind Rosberg but didn't quite have enough of an advantage to make the pass on the last lap. Of course Hamilton blew quali but I'm talking about race pace.

GB: Again Hamilton had a bad qualifying but he was definitely on course to catch up to Rosberg and possibly pass him before Rosberg retired.

Ger: Hamilton had a failure on his car on his first flying lap of Q1, he fought through the field whilst Rosberg was just cruising at the front. Impossible to say how they would have compared.

Hun: After Hamilton's car burst into flames in Q1 he had a lot to do, the safety car during the race brought Hamilton within a car or 2 of Rosberg and despite having a worse tyre strategy from then on and being down on power by a few tenths a lap towards the end he managed to just finish ahead. Hamilton.

Bel: I have a feeling that the answer is Rosberg but hard to say after the contact he made with Hamilton put him out.

Ita: Hamilton was a bit faster when he needed to be and despite taking life out of his tyres to bridge the gap he still had the pace at the end.

Sin: Impossible to say.

Japanese: Hamilton.

Rus: Impossible to say, Hamilton was cruising and Rosberg was pushing.

Last edited:
That would be something. I don't think any of us expected him to lose it this season... and for Nico to win it here in Austin... at a brand new track... should feel very thrilling for the young German.

-

However this season ends... as long as people can get over the little incidents and stop booing him... Nico has catapulted himself from a good driver, in many eyes, to a great one.

Well, at least in these eyes.

-

I'm still hoping Riccardo will win. :lol:

Exactly and Lewis is one of the best out there at the moment, (Always thought Alonso, Lewis and Vettel are the best)after this season Ricciardo and Rosberg are very close to these three, Bottas not far behind as well.

Exactly and Lewis is one of the best out there at the moment, (Always thought Alonso, Lewis and Vettel are the best)after this season Ricciardo and Rosberg are very close to these three, Bottas not far behind as well.
How can Ricciardo be very close to those three if he has very much outperformed one of them with the same equipment.

And they were a grade softer, I was expecting Nico to pass him in a few corners then disappear. I'd say Nico was definitely faster in Catalunya but Lewis' race pace was compromised after the last stop when he said on the team radio to not put on a certain amount of front wing angle but they misheard/misunderstood him and within a couple of laps he was destroying his fronts.

I'd say in terms of race pace this season it has went something like this:

Aus: Impossible to say, in practice Hamilton was a few tenths off in terms of average lap time but he set his fastest lap at the end of a long stint which suggested he had something in hand.

Mal: Hamilton

Bah: Hamilton

Chi: Probably Hamilton, Rosberg had a bad start and although he recovered a lot he was far off in the end.

Spain: Probably Rosberg

Mon: Hamilton was on the back of Rosberg for the whole 1st stint without his tyres wearing due to the dirty air, he complained of having something in his helmet and his pace suddenly dropped at the end. I'll give it to Rosberg.

Can: This was close, Hamilton started catching Rosberg in the race and then we had the controversial cutting of the final chicane which allowed Rosberg to not only keep his position but gap Hamilton massively. Draw.

Austria: Hamilton, overtaking was very difficult here and in clean air towards the end of the race Hamilton flew up behind Rosberg but didn't quite have enough of an advantage to make the pass on the last lap. Of course Hamilton blew quali but I'm talking about race pace.

GB: Again Hamilton had a bad qualifying but he was definitely on course to catch up to Rosberg and possibly pass him before Rosberg retired.

Ger: Hamilton had a failure on his car on his first flying lap of Q1, he fought through the field whilst Rosberg was just cruising at the front. Impossible to say how they would have compared.

Hun: After Hamilton's car burst into flames in Q1 he had a lot to do, the safety car during the race brought Hamilton within a car or 2 of Rosberg and despite having a worse tyre strategy from then on and being down on power by a few tenths a lap towards the end he managed to just finish ahead. Hamilton.

Bel: I have a feeling that the answer is Rosberg but hard to say after the contact he made with Hamilton put him out.

Ita: Hamilton was a bit faster when he needed to be and despite taking life out of his tyres to bridge the gap he still had the pace at the end.

Sin: Impossible to say.

Japanese: Hamilton.

Rus: Impossible to say, Hamilton was cruising and Rosberg was pushing.
I wouldn't give Hungary to Hamilton just because they were never on the same strategy.
Belgium is definetly a draw the battle ended too early to draw conclusions.

And Canada I would give to Hamilton because he managed to Pass Rosberg in Race conditions which suggests he had the ultimate pace despite retirement.

The Pattern is clearly obvious here, qualifying they are very close, with the results warped in Rosbergs favour due to countless issues with Hamiltons car in qualifying most of which are brake issues.

In Race conditions on the majority of races this is where Hamilton has cemented his Advantage all season with his Supreme race pace and Noticeable fuel consumption Advantage. which has allowed him to claw back all the points loss from failures and compromised qualifiers from bad reliability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Missed qualifying session. I don't know if I missed something good apart from the all-conquering Merc. duo.
I can probably expected the outcome of the race but I hope we'll have a good one!

Missed qualifying session. I don't know if I missed something good apart from the all-conquering Merc. duo.
I can probably expected the outcome of the race but I hope we'll have a good one!

And Bottas on 3rd place, which is also becoming quite the standard.
However I hope that Rosberg wins this race to keep the championship just that little bit more interesting.

Just watching the Sky F1 build up show, and had a good laugh at Herbert and Hill's NASCAR school lesson.

Herbert's face when the instructor said "After about 5, 6, 7 laps you'll start to build up confidence and think you're a race car driver" with hand air quotes. :lol:

How can Ricciardo be very close to those three if he has very much outperformed one of them with the same equipment.

I wouldn't give Hungary to Hamilton just because they were never on the same strategy.
Belgium is definetly a draw the battle ended too early to draw conclusions.

And Canada I would give to Hamilton because he managed to Pass Rosberg in Race conditions which suggests he had the ultimate pace despite retirement.

The Pattern is clearly obvious here, qualifying they are very close, with the results warped in Rosbergs favour due to countless issues with Hamiltons car in qualifying most of which are brake issues.

In Race conditions on the majority of races this is where Hamilton has cemented his Advantage all season with his Supreme race pace and Noticeable fuel consumption Advantage. which has allowed him to claw back all the points loss from failures and compromised qualifiers from bad reliability.

I'm giving Vettel a year off :lol:

Back