2014 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Lack of fuel saving was definitely a factor, we didn't see the graphic for most of it because it was obviously not a problem.
That has nothing to do with it being close, as they're all relative to each other anyway. No matter how much fuel you put in they should all be in that competitive order.

The driver coming out of the pits has the responsibility of being aware of any cars approaching them at pit exit.
Maldonado couldn't see Gutierrez until Gutierrez was about to make contact with his front left, he was coming from a long way. Maldonado didn't barge his way in, Gutierrez tried to pull over to the inside to set himself up for the next corner, and then it happened.

I'd post a video if every single one hadn't already been removed from Youtube.

Safety car helped bunch them up but as Brundle said the unlapping phase takes too long. They did more laps under it with a clear track than those actually recovering the car.

Maldonado couldn't see Gutierrez until Gutierrez was about to make contact with his front left, he was coming from a long way. Maldonado didn't barge his way in, Gutierrez tried to pull over to the inside to set himself up for the next corner, and then it happened.

You seem to have seen a different version to us. Pastor could certainly see him before the corner.

That has nothing to do with it being close, as they're all relative to each other anyway. No matter how much fuel you put in they should all be in that competitive order.
Yes but the lack of fuel saving allowed them to attack rather than follow.

Well, the good news is that Lotus have showed their support for Maldonado by providing him with an upgraded car for China

Chaos2.jpg

They didn't need a safety car at all. That car ended up well away from the braking zone and could have been cleared under double waved yellows.

That decision had everything to do with sports entertainment and nothing to do with sporting integrity. Especially given that the driver had already assured the team that he has okay.

They didn't need a safety car at all. That car ended up well away from the braking zone and could have been cleared under double waved yellows.

That decision had everything to do with sports entertainment and nothing to do with sporting integrity. Especially given that the driver had already assured the team that he has okay.
If he was injured though.... And there was debris ALL over the track...

And leave all those carbon bits on the track? and he was taking his time getting out of the car. And it was in a HEAVY braking zone. They would have been nuts not to have called a caution.

Are you just saying this just for the sake of holding a different opinion?

Pastor couldn't see him. Yeah, that was the problem...

If he was injured though.... And there was debris ALL over the track...

And leave all those carbon bits on the track? and he was taking his time getting out of the car. And it was in a HEAVY braking zone. They would have been nuts not to have called a caution.

He wasn't though and all the drivers managed to avoid the debris by driving on the inside of the track. It was unnecessary, and he ended up WELL PASSED that heavy braking zone.

That doesn't excuse Maldonado from the fact that the driver exiting the pits has the responsibility of yielding to anyone that is coming down the track at full speed to them.

None of what you said had anything to do with this race being interesting..
So they just pitted for fresh tyres for safety car period, fuel was saved enough in that period so they let car go to the limit in power. You saw though at the end Nico Rosberg used up his tyres so quickly that a few laps to go, he couldn't attack Lewis like he managed to early on. Tyres don't hold up well but given it is a small number of laps to the end, it allowed a few number of laps on new tyres to attack. They were driving within themselves and the car until safety car allowed the drivers to attack flat out their car and driver potential, it also helped close field up too.

Pasta could easily see a car in front of him, even if it is on the other side of the track, turn you head and look.

As for safety car, very needed, have you all forgotten the car was no where near the braking zone, but on the outside of what is almost a hairpin, any car get's a little sideways and we would be mourning a marshal.

Safety car was correct IMO, it wasn't safe to send a group of marshals out there under double yellow, what if someone had a brake failure and slid into them? Unlikely, but you can't risk their lives in the path of a big brake zone.

So they just pitted for fresh tyres for safety car period, fuel was saved enough in that period so they let car go to the limit in power. You saw though at the end Nico Rosberg used up his tyres so quickly that a few laps to go, he couldn't attack Lewis like he managed to early on. Tyres don't hold up well but given it is a small number of laps to the end, it allowed a few number of laps on new tyres to attack. They were driving within themselves and the car until safety car allowed the drivers to attack flat out their car and driver potential, it also helped close field up too.
And which of those things that happened after the safety car didn't happen before it, that's why I say the fuel/tyres made no difference whether they were pushing "flat out" or not. There was just as much going on before the safety car as after it.

most exciting race ive seen for a long time, lewis's racing instinct and fire deep down to win was surely what made the difference, by all rights rosberg should have had that one, lewis showing his talent there, entertaining race all round though, hoping for more to come

And which of those things that happened after the safety car didn't happen before it, that's why I say the fuel/tyres made no difference whether they were pushing "flat out" or not. There was just as much going on before the safety car as after it.
None of it before had me on the edge of my seat, so exciting to see Nico Rosberg and Daniel Ricciardo being flat out behind their teammates. It was quite incredible the power Mercedes had over the rest of field when they could fully unleash their car potential. Lewis was even using the overtake button in the end to maximise power, incredible pace with the harder tyres.

None of it before had me on the edge of my seat, so exciting to see Nico Rosberg and Daniel Ricciardo being flat out behind their teammates. It was quite incredible the power Mercedes had over the rest of field when they could fully unleash their car potential. Lewis was even using the overtake button in the end to maximise power, incredible pace with the harder tyres.
I'm sorry but what is your definition of "flat out"? Does it mean pushing your car to the maximum or fighting your team mate? Because the former definitely had absolutely nothing to do with the racing, in fact it showed just how much faster Mercedes could go than everyone else, it does nothing but increase the gap between every car. The reason a lot was going on after the restart was because the safety car bunched them up, people were on different tyres and some were out of position because they pit during the safety car. Going "flat out" had nothing to do with it.

Are you just saying this just for the sake of holding a different opinion?

Pastor couldn't see him. Yeah, that was the problem...

No, I don't think people are seeing this incident as anything other than Maldonado's fault simply because it's a crash and he was involved. I feel as though people would call this a racing incident, or at least be a bit less hostile if it were any other driver.

I'm sorry but what is your definition of "flat out"? Does it mean pushing your car to the maximum or fighting your team mate? Because the former definitely had absolutely nothing to do with the racing, in fact it showed just how much faster Mercedes could go than everyone else, it does nothing but increase the gap between every car. The reason a lot was going on after the restart was because the safety car bunched them up, people were on different tyres and some were out of position because they pit during the safety car. Going "flat out" had nothing to do with it.
It did have a lot to do it the excitement factor for me, they were driving the cars right on the limit. Before safety car period chance, Lewis was lift and coasting to save his tyres while building a gap to his teammate. I don't think that is exciting, the other cars weren't pushing that hard too before it seemed. It looked great to see cars looking more alive on the limit in the end, drivers chasing the throttle pedal desperately trying to overtake or keep position.

No, I don't think people are seeing this incident as anything other than Maldonado's fault simply because it's a crash and he was involved. I feel as though people would call this a racing incident, or at least be a bit less hostile if it were any other driver.

It's Pastor's fault for being in a crash that he caused. Did you miss the part where he collided with Gutierrez and rolled his car?

Safety car was correct IMO, it wasn't safe to send a group of marshals out there under double yellow, what if someone had a brake failure and slid into them? Unlikely, but you can't risk their lives in the path of a big brake zone.

I doubt it to be honest. The car landed well out of the way of the braking zone and was nearly halfway toward turn two.
They could have got away with waved double yellows but again safety first I guess.

I doubt it to be honest. The car landed well out of the way of the braking zone and was nearly halfway toward turn two.
They could have got away with waved double yellows but again safety first I guess.
In the event of a brake failure (or tyre) the car could spin off in any direction. It was unlikely as I said but yes, safety first. That car was far from being in a safe position.

You have got to be kidding. He drove straight into him.

Back