2014 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

It did have a lot to do it the excitement factor for me, they were driving the cars right on the limit. Before safety car period chance, Lewis was lift and coasting to save his tyres while building a gap to his teammate. I don't think that is exciting, the other cars weren't pushing that hard too before it seemed. It looked great to see cars looking more alive on the limit in the end, drivers chasing the throttle pedal desperately trying to overtake or keep position.
They really didn't look any different than when they "weren't pushing", did you miss the first part of the race where the Mercedes were fighting or do you conveniently only remember the second stint where they were on different tyres. It surely can't be a surprise that a car on low fuel is faster than when it's heavy? The only reason they were lifting and coasting is so they have more for later on not because they were struggling to finish.

They really didn't look any different than when they "weren't pushing", did you miss the first part of the race where the Mercedes were fighting or do you conveniently only remember the second stint where they were on different tyres. It surely can't be a surprise that a car on low fuel is faster than when it's heavy? The only reason they were lifting and coasting is so they have more for later on not because they were struggling to finish.
It does look different to me, it is different kind of battling when you can push to the limit with race position at stake so close to end of race. Car behaviour looks on limit, mindset is different than normal where it is a case of running your own race. Rarely does that happen in F1 in recent years being able to push to the end in similar conditions.

Well, the good news is that Lotus have showed their support for Maldonado by providing him with an upgraded car for China

Chaos2.jpg

Any reply with a relation to Robot Wars is undoubtedly one of the best ever posts on GTP.

It does look different to me, it is different kind of battling when you can push to the limit with race position at stake so close to end of race. Car behaviour looks on limit, mindset is different than normal where it is a case of running your own race. Rarely does that happen in F1 in recent years being able to push to the end in similar conditions.
There was no difference to the way they were overtaking at the start to the finish. The only reason they looked like they were pushing harder is because the car was lighter. They just so happened to be close on track because of the safety car. How is how fast they were going relative to the start any different than normal?

They didn't need a safety car at all. That car ended up well away from the braking zone and could have been cleared under double waved yellows.

Remember Kubica's crash in Montreal? Ran wide and hit Scott Speed's car. Fortunately, Robert was okay after some medical attention, but it was a real wake up call for the race director. No one wants to see a driver injured. Some people are responsible for doing everything in their power to ensure that doesn't happen. Yeah, we lose a few laps of racing, but everyone walks away.

No, I don't think people are seeing this incident as anything other than Maldonado's fault simply because it's a crash and he was involved. I feel as though people would call this a racing incident, or at least be a bit less hostile if it were any other driver.

I think you're underestimating the members of gtplanet. I don't think you'd find a single person here who'd blame him for his crashes at Monaco with Hamilton or Chilton.

He wasn't though and all the drivers managed to avoid the debris by driving on the inside of the track. It was unnecessary, and he ended up WELL PASSED that heavy braking zone.
Video, (maybe US only, not sure)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nasca...r-maldonado-in-bahrain-f1-race-172245883.html

Another link (UK)
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/2...d-drop-and-penalty-points-for-gutierrez-crash

f1crash.jpg

If they didn't call a caution, one of the best overtaking spots would have be useless even after they removed the car (carbon all over, only the inside is clean), if anything bad happened it would look really bad, it's not like the racing before the caution was any different.

Remember they are coming down from 200MPH (320KM) plus, why add risk?

Maldonado couldn't see Gutierrez until Gutierrez was about to make contact with his front left, he was coming from a long way. Maldonado didn't barge his way in, Gutierrez tried to pull over to the inside to set himself up for the next corner, and then it happened.

I'd post a video if every single one hadn't already been removed from Youtube.

This is all that needs to be said about that:

That doesn't excuse Maldonado from the fact that the driver exiting the pits has the responsibility of yielding to anyone that is coming down the track at full speed to them.

Maldonado had the responsibility. And he clearly saw Gutierrez coming down the track. That was why he collided with him.

It is fairly obvious to any driver with half a brain that a car on warmed-up tires, going at full race pace, is going to take the corner faster. Pastor shoved his nose up the inside of Gutierrez, who isn't obliged to be looking out for a SLOW car exiting the pits which HE JUST PASSED ON THE TRACK, in hopes of battling for the corner. You just don't do that. Especially not if you're a car length behind. Pastor got halfway up Gutierrez's sidepod by entering too hot, and basically used Gutierrez's car to slow down for the corner, otherwise he wouldn't have flipped him clear over.

This is why he's getting a penalty. If he'd been trying to make the corner instead of trying to beat Gutierrez to it, Gutierrez would've taken off his front wing and shoved him into the gravel on the inside. As that's not how it happened, it's Pastor who gets penalized.

What a total ladygarden this guy is:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

No amount of "What in the ever-loving 🤬 happened there!?" can explain that.

I hate not being able to watch F1 anymore, I miss it so much. :(

@Azure Flare you tell me That was boring.

When the past 8 grand prix at that track have all been sleep-aids, you expect the 9th to be the same. I guess that wasn't the case.

Maldonado needs to be banned from motorsport, he has nearly killed several marshals and drivers from his actions. Heres a video that shows some of his crashes from a few years ago:
You can now add the 2014 flip and the 2013 crashes to his record as well.

Glad to see I was right that Merc team mate would be fighting for this

What a total ladygarden this guy is:

10177485_686724094699646_6778288534204856348_n.jpg
He deserved that penalty and then some, not to count the fact that he had all hurt JEV's race as well. My issue with this penalty is that it's only five spots and yet DR gets 10 spots in a situation I find equally as dangerous as his and yet much more easily avoidable.

TE: Okay Lewis no more lift coast, no more lift coast. You are good on fuel

LH: I HEARD YOU MAN! I'm trying to look after my tires.

Oh man I enjoy watching Lewis drive during those moments when he is fully concentrated on the race

Last edited:
That is easily the best F1 race I've seen in a while, but some people are really overreacting about how good it was. "That was the greatest F1 race ever!" You must've only been watching F1 for the past few years...

No way it wasn't the greatest, there have been many as good as this. I'd say this is arguably one of the best races seen in the past couple years. I agree with you though not the "greatest ever" there needs to be more drama for that.

There have been better. But not for a while. :D

And so we're perfectly clear:
UnpleasantHiddenApisdorsatalaboriosa.gif

Maldonado was never, ever going to make that corner. Gutierrez was on the racing line and still had enough space to the apex for another car to slot beside him.

Maldonado is driving off the racing line, taking a... hmmm... creative approach to the corner. He seems to assume Gutierrez will run twenty feet wide of the apex to give him room to cut straight across the track and plow off into the grass on the outside line.

Of course, if you're overtaking Maldonado, that's probably a good idea. :lol:

There have been better. But not for a while. :D

And so we're perfectly clear:
UnpleasantHiddenApisdorsatalaboriosa.gif

Maldonado was never, ever going to make that corner. Gutierrez was on the racing line and still had enough space to the apex for another car to slot beside him.

Maldonado is driving off the racing line, taking a... hmmm... creative approach to the corner. He seems to assume Gutierrez will run twenty feet wide of the apex to give him room to cut straight across the track and plow off into the grass on the outside line.

Of course, if you're overtaking Maldonado, that's probably a good idea. :lol:

Maldonado always leaves his spatial awareness at home

I'd say there hasn't been a race this good since Canada 2011. I think it was 2011.

I'm also not remembering anything from last year. At all.

I'd say there hasn't been a race this good since Canada 2011. I think it was 2011.

I'm also not remembering anything from last year. At all.
I only remember China, Bahrain, and Silverstone. The others were snoozefests in my opinion.

Let this race please be an omen of things to come in the rest of the season.

Please F1?

Please?

Please F1?

Please?

Some of us expected this and just need the cards to fall correctly. As I figured with this track being one of Nico's better that helped, and Hamilton coming of the high of last weekend made for equal footing of both. Also DR not having bad luck this time around also helped. I figured the Williams drivers would be battling each other. Didn't expect the McLaren's to retire. I expected no battle in the Ferrari camp between drivers, but did expect Alonso to battle others. FI I couldn't have predicted until after Quali and maybe FP3 but even that would have been a long shot.

That is easily the best F1 race I've seen in a while, but some people are really overreacting about how good it was. "That was the greatest F1 race ever!" You must've only been watching F1 for the past few years...
I've been watching since 2002 and this race is certainly in my top 10 most entertaining F1 races now, if not top 5. Certain races have had notable (if predictable) charges through the field (Suzuka 2005) or been packed full of incidents/crashes (Spa 2004) or had very strange weather (Nuburgring 2007), but rarely has a dry race constantly delivered so much meaningful action and good clean racing. This could very well have been the best fully dry race I've ever seen, with only Japan 2005 and China 2012 in contention for that honour.
I'd say Brazil 2012 was better than both Canada 2011 and today's race. Maybe China 2012 too.

Please F1?

Please?

The thing about this year is how evenly matched team mates are, so if both setup their car properly we should be seeing more of the same, Nico has been showing great skill over the past years so fully expect him to give Hamilton a run for his money.

Force India, Williams, Ferrari and RBR will battle alot I feel if things stay the same.

What a race, that had everything! A great battle for the lead, close fighting throughout the pack and even a barrel roll! Best race since Canada 2011 for sure. Awesome to see Perez get that podium for FI.

Also, Hulk now 3rd in the Championship, and Force India second in the Constructors. Massively impressive considering their resources.

I've been watching since 2002 and this race is certainly in my top 10 most entertaining F1 races now, if not top 5. Certain races have had notable (if predictable) charges through the field (Suzuka 2005) or been packed full of incidents/crashes (Spa 2004) or had very strange weather (Nuburgring 2007), but rarely has a dry race constantly delivered so much meaningful action and good clean racing. This could very well have been the best fully dry race I've ever seen, with only Japan 2005 and China 2012 in contention for that honour.
I was thinking more about in the 1990's, but yeah... *Reminisces*

Would have preferred it to be a double Nico podium with Rosberg winning, but this was still good. Also, Maldonado really needs to get his super licence revoked, and his penalty is nowhere near severe enough.

I only started "really" following F1 (watch every race, try and watch every Q, give the rules a look over) in 2011 so I can only think of that Brazil being this interesting.

Still F1 was never know for it's passing/battles so any race like this gets quickly added to the "Best race ever" section.

I might be nuts but I think we saw some of that turbo torque and less aero help keep the cars side-by-side.

I missed the race because it was on at one in the morning.

I am annoyed because the replay won't be on until midnight.

I am doubly annoyed because the broadcaster will happily show the NASCAR Sprint Cup live, and interrupt all of their other programming because it is raining, but they will still show it in its entirety.

Feelin' ya PM. I just bought a new computer so it's going to be a day or two before I download the vid. Suspense was killing me so I checked the news sites. Glad I did and from the sound of things even knowing the result won't spoil this one.

Race recap:

First: who cares?

Second: who cares?

Top ten: who cares?

Synopsis: Wooo waaaaah! Overtake! Overtake! Fightfightfight! Sutil! Sutil! Pastor you idiot! Aww... there goes one Macca... and then the other! Overtake! overtakeovertakeovertake!Fightfightfightfightfight! It's over?

-

Lewis Hamilton does an amazing job holding Nico off with weaker tires. Amazing driving from both drivers, and a fight that went to the finish!

Perez third, Ricciardo doing an Alonso bringing his car in fourth from thirteenth. Who cares what else happened? I can't even remember half of it.

Put this straight on DVD... it's a certified hit. I'm out! Long drive to the airport! :dopey: :D :D :D

What we saw today was an F1 Classic race.

Nice celebration of Nico and Lewis. 👍

tumblr_n3mcv6ooE41s0dbnko1_500.gif

Great stuff.

Back