2014 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

So we've seen I believe for the first time the telemetry data info on screen, Hamilton barely hit 12,000RPM on the straight.

According to the Sky Sports live text, Adrian Sutil will be racing the GP this weekend without a drinks bottle onboard to save weight as his car is already overweight and Sutil is tall.

Discuss.

Autosport has an article on that too. Sauber are struggling with weight anyway, so having a 'heavy' (77kgs) driver is punishing them more. I noticed Coultard mentioned talk of drivers purposely dehydrating themselves last weekend at Malaysia too. The latest weight regs are really penalizing the bigger drivers. Some are obviously going to dangerous lengths to keep the weight down. The smaller drivers are blocking attempts to raise the weight limit.

According to the Sky Sports live text, Adrian Sutil will be racing the GP this weekend without a drinks bottle onboard to save weight as his car is already overweight and Sutil is tall.

Discuss.

Bad for Sutil and yet more bad imagery for the sport. They should have sorted out driver weight advantages ages ago, it'd be pretty simple to have a minimum weight for driver and seat, easily high enough for the heaviest drivers and so the lighter drivers will need a seat with ballast.

So we've seen I believe for the first time the telemetry data info on screen, Hamilton barely hit 12,000RPM on the straight.
They have been there all season if you have access to a on-board channel. I'm certain that I have seen it on the main feed at some point too...:odd:.

Why would the smaller drivers be so against a weight increase? That would give them some more kg to make weight distribution better. Either way, it is monumentally unsafe to have the drivers dehydrate themselves before a race just to make the weight.

They have been there all season if you have access to a on-board channel. I'm certain that I have seen it on the main feed at some point too...:odd:.

Why would the smaller drivers be so against a weight increase? That would give them some more kg to make weight distribution better. Either way, it is monumentally unsafe to have the drivers dehydrate themselves before a race just to make the weight.

I admittedly haven't watch every second of the two events so far but it's the first time I recall seeing the new graphic. I don't watch any of those extra on board channels though no, so perhaps why.

But yeah, I wonder when we'll see these cars getting closer to the 15k limit.

I admittedly haven't watch every second of the two events so far but it's the first time I recall seeing the new graphic. I don't watch any of those extra on board channels though no, so perhaps why.

But yeah, I wonder when we'll see these cars getting closer to the 15k limit.
Fair enough. I spent a bit of time just watching the onboard channel - am yet to see them go over 12,500.

Just watching it now on my computer - Kvyat was changing up at barely 11k and was doing 319kmh at those rpm, then they switched to Hamilton, who was changing up at around 12k. Oh, and Vettel just topped out at 306kmh
I dont expect to see anywhere near 15k, unless one of the teams turns everything up at the end of the season using an expendable engine.

Gamesmanship, psychological advantage over those bigger drivers.

Like anything in F1 the teams/drivers at an advantage won't want any change to level things out. It would have to come from the FIA.

Fair enough. I spent a bit of time just watching the onboard channel - am yet to see them go over 12,500.

Just watching it now on my computer - Kvyat was changing up at barely 11k and was doing 319kmh at those rpm, then they switched to Hamilton, who was changing up at around 12k. Oh, and Vettel just topped out at 306kmh
I dont expect to see anywhere near 15k, unless one of the teams turns everything up at the end of the season using an expendable engine.

When was it they lifted the limit from 12 to 15? I think it was quite late in the engine development, wasn't it? I guess they just didn't have the time to fundamentally change them to rev higher in a reliable manner.

You can do so much more with a turbo engine to massage the torque curve to increase drivability and produce peak power lower down the rev range. If they can top out at 12,000 instead of 15,000 they'll save so much fuel in doing so. Saving fuel is a big factor this season. Didn't Hamilton use just 80-odd% of his allocated fuel last weekend?

A new problem concerns Ferrari: daltonism.

1148821_692554587474990_1390911663_n.jpg

Rosberg apparently put on some weight. He was frustrated after he was weighed in his garage. Was already embarrassed last week after he went extreme with the tyre pressures. Looks like he'll have to settle behind Lewis again.

Is Hulkenberg THAT fast, or has Force India has been secretly making front running cars for 2 years without the drivers to make it count? I said that about sauber 2012, not sure about this season. Maybe Perez is just depressed after getting booted from a dream team, but he looks like he doesn't even belong now.

So ill be taping the race and watching it Sunday Night, cant watch it live as it clashes with the football and my mum is a Liverpool fan soooo....will probably have to give the qualy a miss but might watch it on the laptop whilst watching the football tomorrow afternoon...

Is Hulkenberg THAT fast, or has Force India has been secretly making front running cars for 2 years without the drivers to make it count? I said that about sauber 2012, not sure about this season. Maybe Perez is just depressed after getting booted from a dream team, but he looks like he doesn't even belong now.

In my opinion Hulkenberg is THAT fast. I think he's very close, if not already at the same level of the top drivers (Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, Raikkonen). Maybe he lacks of experience when racing for wins or podiums, like at Interlagos in 2012 for example, but overall he's one of the best in terms of sheer talent.
He deserves a better car, but all in all he's been lucky this year; he was very close to sign with Lotus, then they've chosen Maldonado's money. Probably he was really frustrated at the end of 2013 when he had to "settle" with Force India, but looking at this year's performances it was a forced but lucky decision.

I think it's both. I think ever since Perez left Sauber, he's been pretty much a disappointment. The Force India probably is a very decent car, but Perez really needs to step it up.

Rosberg apparently put on some weight. He was frustrated after he was weighed in his garage. Was already embarrassed last week after he went extreme with the tyre pressures. Looks like he'll have to settle behind Lewis again.

If the drivers aren't making it count then that only goes to show that Hulkenberg is a better asset then you may want to give credit too. He's did a better job than PDR who only slightly did a better job than Sutil, and he's doing a much better job than both in a car that is arguably starting the same area that the 13 and 12 car did in their seasons before. Also unless they have some secret weapon engineer that they're good about hiding, I doubt they've been making amazing cars, they're good but not as good as they could be. The 2012 Sauber was horrid just like this years Sauber, and it's more likely due to their money woes than anything.

I went home after FP1 and fell asleep watching FP2 towards the end. Does anyone have the full data? Each lap done by each driver etc?

If the drivers aren't making it count then that only goes to show that Hulkenberg is a better asset then you may want to give credit too. He's did a better job than PDR who only slightly did a better job than Sutil, and he's doing a much better job than both in a car that is arguably starting the same area that the 13 and 12 car did in their seasons before. Also unless they have some secret weapon engineer that they're good about hiding, I doubt they've been making amazing cars, they're good but not as good as they could be. The 2012 Sauber was horrid just like this years Sauber, and it's more likely due to their money woes than anything.
Are you kidding me? By the end of 2012 RB was like 50% Sauber. They nearly cloned their car, that's how good it was. It's a shame the results/drivers didn't show it. 3 podiums was the LEAST they could've done.

Why would the smaller drivers be so against a weight increase?

Because it increases the number of drivers under consideration for any given seat.

I don't think they're even using top gear at Bahrain, are they? Remember that the ratios are fixed for the season (with one change allowed in this season).

Are you kidding me? By the end of 2012 RB was like 50% Sauber. They nearly cloned their car, that's how good it was. It's a shame the results/drivers didn't show it. 3 podiums was the LEAST they could've done.

Don't get carried away and blow it out of proportion it's a typo, and you should've easily caught it since we were talking about Hulkenberg's drives. The 2012 Sauber wasn't the one it was the 2013, quite an easy thing to typo and not catch

Also do you have proof it was actually 50% or are just doing your trademark hyperbole that I've come to know through arguing with you? Also even if you can't prove the 50%, why weren't Sauber as fast as the copy cat RBR.

I don't think they're even using top gear at Bahrain, are they? Remember that the ratios are fixed for the season (with one change allowed in this season).
I don't remember seeing 8th gear used at all yet in any of the races.

^ Williams in Melbourne hit 8th frequently.

At the time I thought that Williams had set the gears specifically for the track to boost their chances of an early points score before using up their one gear change option for the rest of the season.

That doesn't seem to be the case though. They actually have a good car.

Last edited:
I don't remember seeing 8th gear used at all yet in any of the races.

I saw Vettel using 8th gear several times...wether it was for fuell saving or not,is a bit unclear.

It could be because of their lack of topspeed they try to use shorter ratios to maximise acceleration...guess we will know who has wich ratios for sure next race in china!

Spy.

Red Bull, Williams, Caterham, Ferrari and Lotus and McLaren were hitting 8th Gear from what I've seen from the onboards.

Last edited:
Bad for Sutil and yet more bad imagery for the sport. They should have sorted out driver weight advantages ages ago, it'd be pretty simple to have a minimum weight for driver and seat, easily high enough for the heaviest drivers and so the lighter drivers will need a seat with ballast.
Yeah and it also favors lighter weight drivers like Vettel in my opinion, as he is thought to weight between 58-62 kg, much like a Colombian cyclist. :lol:

Anyways the turbo V6s look faster down the straights at Bahrain, nice to see.

Latest Posts

Back