2014 Nordics General Discussion (Sweden)

• Thread starter et_
  • 118 comments
How important do you guys think that it is to have a steering wheel when racing gt academy? I've noticed that most of the top 1000 in the first evetn uses a steering wheel. I'm currently using an ordinary dualshock 3 controller and I'm (or was when i went to bed yesterday) just outside of the top 1000. Thinking about getting a g27 for the final round and really go for it there, think it's worth it?

For those who can't compete this year, don't get your hopes down. Keep practicing and maybe one day your country will be able to compete.

How important do you guys think that it is to have a steering wheel when racing gt academy? I've noticed that most of the top 1000 in the first evetn uses a steering wheel. I'm currently using an ordinary dualshock 3 controller and I'm (or was when i went to bed yesterday) just outside of the top 1000. Thinking about getting a g27 for the final round and really go for it there, think it's worth it?

I know some people who are ridiculously fast with a controller, so you might be able to drive just as fast but there is a big difference how you drive with a wheel and a controller. I was pretty fast with a controller once, and when i changed to a wheel, I was constantly about 1 second slower with it, so if you qualify to the national finals, you'll struggle there if you are not used to use a wheel.

So I'm last time I checked in 12th position in Sweden at Round 2, I don't belive I have too much of a chans to go all the way but 9ppl are going to the nationals and it's only 3 ppl before me right now.
Am I to expect a ton of Swedish Aliens waking up and landing with their Nissan Space ships when the last Rouns 4 begins? Is there any names we are missing from the leaderboards right now?

First post btw nice to see you all!

I think a lot of guys will do more of an effort in round 4 but if you're 12th now you should be able to compete with them at least.

So I'm last time I checked in 12th position in Sweden at Round 2, I don't belive I have too much of a chans to go all the way but 9ppl are going to the nationals and it's only 3 ppl before me right now.
Am I to expect a ton of Swedish Aliens waking up and landing with their Nissan Space ships when the last Rouns 4 begins? Is there any names we are missing from the leaderboards right now?

First post btw nice to see you all!
You are missing me mohahha :mischievous:

Nahh, I haven't tried GT Academy yet (but will try out the final round) but if you see me near the top you can exclude me directely, and maybe some other people that is too young or don't have a driving license :)

You are missing me mohahha :mischievous:

Nahh, I haven't tried GT Academy yet (but will try out the final round) but if you see me near the top you can exclude me directely, and maybe some other people that is too young or don't have a driving license :)

Hehe I know Filip, I was watching your GT A adventures on Youtube (actually your channel) yesterday while updating GT6, Very impressive!

I hope I can continue to improve all the way to the end of Round 4 to give the swedish aliens a match

I dont know, some seems to already have done an effort, but I certainly haven't. And there is more like me who haven't really tried yet...:)
Filip doesn't count, but both me and hager_83 will show up towards the end (he was 1'st and I was 2'nd in 2013)
Then there is ghoztmazta who was 4'th last time but didn't have a licence, I'd bet he got his licence now...
On top of that, kommendanten seems to be on fire!
Keep trying mate, the competition is going to be tough, but 9 people is alot for sweden, it is possible;)

Just ended my first session in the final round (apart from my reconnaissance laps a few days ago)
I'm now down to 2:15.791. and although it's my first real session, and I'm, well... not really sober, I still think that was a good lap.:)
I don't know how good lap time I can get, but I highly doubt I'll get 1:14. I think low 1:15 is the best I can do, if even that... either way it seems I'll easily qualify unless people really start to go for it towards the end. (I suspect they will):P

Also, I want to know, are any of you guys at the top of the leaderboard here on this forum?
Especially "Kommendanten_v2", are you here m8?
His time of 2:15.238 is really impressive!:scared:

And @Filip_Ovik : where the 🤬 are you dude? fire up that old PS3 and show 'em how its done!;)

Oh, BTW guys, the guy in 3'rd place, "Elisa_Skallonson", is not me. its an italian dude who just created the account to mess with me. I have no idea what I have done to him... he won't tell me.:indiff: Anyway, he is not eligible so you can disregard him from the leaderboards completely.:sly:

Haha pretty creative way to mess with someone :P don't know how many that have actually tried yet. I've only done one lap to get the gold so far. Will try more next week but i doubt i will get lower than high 16s so not really at that level.

Hey guys, I found this topic and felt like registering on gtp:)

@et_ , Well thats good news about Skallonson :P

Hey advqnce, recognise you from the top names. Nice to see you on the forum, can never have too many fast Swedes on here ;)

You guys in the top, were you fast straight away or how high were your first times in stage 4?

My first times were around 2:20s as warm up laps, you know getting to know the track, the car and braking points and such and so on and gradually improving. My goal now is to get down to the upper 2:15s :)

My first time was 2:17.1 but I redlapped my first 15 laps so I shuld have been slower probably :P

@Advqnce : Välkommen hit:)

Last edited:
A lot more names in the top now as i feared! good to know about Skalonson though. Any tips on getting through and keep improving when you feel stuck? I have been doing this for several hours now and won't improve my time by more than a few thousands which doesn't move me up in the leaderboards. I've watched your replay @et_ and I have a hard time finding out what I'm doing different. Gotta do something about the first corner though, I'm painfully slow there most of the time

A few tips:

At the first corner:
brake just before the little uphill and just before there apperars to be skidmarks in the road. keep braking longer than you think, you should brake so long you almost come to a complete stop at apex. sliding just a little bit at apex helps aswell. get on the throttle early as the exit speed is vital here.

Eau rouge should be taken at full throttle, with as small wheel movements as possible. you dont want to hit the cerb on the right side but you should cut the cerb on the left side as much as possible (without hitting the cone on the first one and without hitting the black tarmac on the outside on the second one.

Brake quite early after the long kemmel straight (about just where the cerb on the left starts). try to start steering in while braking with a little trailbraking. go as tight as possible through the S and then take some height for the right hand turn that follows the S combination. that right hander should be taken at full throttle (very hard). I keep hitting the cone here.:grumpy:

Brake late at the sweeping right that follows (rivage). wait untill you have passed where the cerb at the left starts. trailbrake is important here. I used double apex, but you could stay on the inside all the way, whatever feels best for you. Try to take some height and carry as much speed as possible through the left hand turn that follows.

At the superfast left turn (pouhon) you should be able to trailbrake to the first apex, and actually go full throttle from BEFORE the first apex, all the way through the corner. this takes practice and I've not gotten it right yet either.

At les fagnes the braking point is just behind the shadow line in the road. go tight through the S combination and DONT HIT THE INNER CERB ON THE RIGHT. the left cerb can be driven over. aim for a late apex in the left corner, as the edge of the track on the exit is tight, and its sand there, so a wheel outside that outer cerb means a dead lap.

The right hand turn that follows dont require so much speed through, just focus on a clean entrance to it. Hit the throttle as soon as possible without sliding out, and keep it down all the way through stavelot and blanchimont, all the way up to bus stop.

At bus stop, the first right turn should be taken as tight as possible, while at the left turn you should'nt even hit the inner cerb at all, focus on your exit speed here, as a good throttle aplication can earn you as much as half a second alone.

AND.... practice, thats probably the best advice.:cheers:

Well thank you @et_ for your help! managed to cut .4 of my time and get below 17. still 2 tenth after you in the first corner so there is still som time to be had there. There's something with me and first corners, never seem to be able to nail those on any round

@et_
I have had a lot to do (just finished my first year on the Uni) and my ps3 is in my original home, 400 km away, but I will travel home tomorrow and hopefully make some practise laps :)

Ah, @Filip_Ovik , I'll start pushing for a fast time tomorrow, but 2:15.3 is great!:)
I actually thought my 2:15.7 would be enough:ouch:

edit. Improved a tiny bit today, as I did some practice laps, I also realized my 15.7 was'nt that good, I was able to improve 0.1 in first sector, 0.2 from kemmel to stavelot, and a whole 0.3 in blanchemont and bus stop!:eek: If I can string it together, I'm on pace for a 1:15.1:dopey: but then again, theory and actually doing it is two different things...:scared:

Last edited:
Was just about to write that I am 3 thousands of a second faster than you @et_ but now i see you got a 15.1
yup, I'm chasing down kommendanten now:P

I did 2 big mistakes in pouhon and les fagnes, so at the second part of les fagnes your line was in fact slightly ahead of me, without those mistakes it would probably have been a 2:14.9:indiff:

Just red-lapped a 2:14 by going too wide in Pouhon, so I actually lost time on it.:banghead:
I continued the lap and got 2:14.977:grumpy:

OP updated with the top 10 swedish times in all rounds.

It is insane how easy I got down to 15.1, and how hard it is for me to improve now! I know I can do a 14.9, but I never seem to be able to string it together.:grumpy:
It seems I always find a new way of screwing up:(

I'm really close to giving up... kommendanten is down to 14.8, so I wont catch him, but I still want that 2:14 really, really bad... but I've passed the point of anger, and now It's just frustration, and the more I practice, the further away I feel that 2:14 is. I screw up earlier and earlier on the lap, and now I cant even get first corner right more than maybe 1/10 times:yuck:

Earlier today I was actually neck and neck with immortals ghost at first split, and not more than maybe 2-3 tenths behind at Pouhon. Now I cant even see him after Rivage:(

Seeing that you wrote that round 4:30 am I'm gonna guess that you need a rest. Will probably go much better tomorrow. :)

et_
It is insane how easy I got down to 15.1, and how hard it is for me to improve now! I know I can do a 14.9, but I never seem to be able to string it together.:grumpy:
It seems I always find a new way of screwing up:(

I'm really close to giving up... kommendanten is down to 14.8, so I wont catch him, but I still want that 2:14 really, really bad... but I've passed the point of anger, and now It's just frustration, and the more I practice, the further away I feel that 2:14 is. I screw up earlier and earlier on the lap, and now I cant even get first corner right more than maybe 1/10 times:yuck:

Earlier today I was actually neck and neck with immortals ghost at first split, and not more than maybe 2-3 tenths behind at Pouhon. Now I cant even see him after Rivage:(

Well at least you'r in the top 5! I'm in the same position where whatever I try to do I can't get any faster and not beat my own best even, And I'm a whole second behind you....that turn one is still bugging me :(

well well just have to hope Sweden will be eligeble next year too.

Did anyone go to Göteborg and try the live event? I tried and failed misserebly :P

Did anyone go to Göteborg and try the live event? I tried and failed misserebly :P
I thought about it but decided I'm not good enough anyway so wasn't worth it. ^^ How did it work? did you get more than one try? Were there any really fast guys there?

I thought about it but decided I'm not good enough anyway so wasn't worth it. ^^ How did it work? did you get more than one try? Were there any really fast guys there?

Well I was there with friends and watched the STCC race so I did only try once, but you were allowed to try several times if you took the last place in line.

The pods are very uncomfortable so I had a strange seating position. Mostly kids there when I ran but they said they had sveral papers filled in with contestants. I ran a few seconds behind the best time so I guess someone good had tried earlier that weekend.

It was fun to try anyway

Well I was there with friends and watched the STCC race so I did only try once, but you were allowed to try several times if you took the last place in line.

The pods are very uncomfortable so I had a strange seating position. Mostly kids there when I ran but they said they had sveral papers filled in with contestants. I ran a few seconds behind the best time so I guess someone good had tried earlier that weekend.

It was fun to try anyway
Would have been fun to try it out but yeah didn't really have time to go to Gothenburg anyway. :P STCC was pretty interesting there.. and by interesting I mean, they crashed a lot.

Back