2014 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix

United Kingdom
YorkshireLand
SVTlover
2014 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix

So after the first chapter of the new era of F1 opened a couple of weeks ago in Melbourne, it's time to see what the second one has in store for us. Daniel Ricciardo's disqualification from the previous race is still a hot topic as is the pace of the Mercedes, McLaren and Williams cars. But everywhere you look there is questions to be answered. I'm sure they will be when the second race kicks off in Sepang... Get ready for the 2014 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix!

sepang.jpg

Event Details
Date: 28-30 March
Laps: 56
Circuit Length: 5.543 km
Lap Record: 1:34.223 - J P Montoya (2004)
2013 Winner: Sebastian Vettel

*If moderators are seriously wanting people to put up threads for their home races, please lock this.

The FIA have done that for years - drivers are allowed to run wide on the exit of Monza's Ascari chicane because although it allows a faster exit speed, it also lengthens the circuit, so no real advantage is gained.

It's when we have a situation like Hockenheim in 2012, where Vettel ran wide at the hairpin, allowing him to take the corner faster and pass Button, that it becomes a problem.

The stewards will known the average lap time when a driver fully observes the circuit limits. If he cuts a corner and sets a lap time that is clearly faster for it, then the case for a penalty is clear.

But I have no idea where they could do it at Sepang.

The F1 guys aren't really that bad when it comes to track limits anyway, I've seen far worse from other series'.

I was bringing it up mostly due to the reaction people had to the cars going wide @prisonermonkeys, especially Seb, on exit in India last year.

And of course, FIA can always make exceptions, but they're usually well known when in recent years they've just been allowed without much of an announcement from anyone, which is why people were confused.

Very interesting what this round will show us ,especially since this track is so different then the previous one...will Mercedes still be on top?will other teams have sorted some/most or all of their problems?...Is the unstable weather going to play its part?...

Cant wait for the first free practice to arrive!!!

Spy.

Says there's around a 50% chance of rain every day of this weekend, so it's gonna be tough again, especially with them running the race so late in the day again.

As much as I love a wet race, I'm looking forward to a guaranteed dry qualifying/race just so we can get a real idea of the running order. But then I could be speaking too soon and we might not see any rain this weekend...

I hope it does rain, I've seen betting sites put Button at 15/1 to win. I like those odds. :D

I'm looking forward to Malaysia and some dry running for Qualifying at least, I really want to see which teams have good one lap pace. My Preview for the Grand Prix will be live tomorrow, for those who are interested.

2013's race really stuck in my mind as one of the most entertaining races of the season simply because it was like a circus act. It was uncertain whether the start would be delayed because of rain, so that juggled the start up a little, and then Alonso unfortunately crashed out on the 2nd lap due to not going in to the pits for his damaged front wing, which sent him a tiny bit airborne when it broke and he drove over it.

Then we had the Force India pitstops that were a complete joke. I don't remember them clearly, but I think with at least one of the cars a fire occurred.

Finally, of course how could we forget, Vettel overtook a fuel saving Mark Webber. Seriously what other race had so much...action and controversy.Maybe Silverstone and Monaco but those were about it. Still loved the 2013 season, but some races stuck out much more than others.

Hoping for a race that does not confirm what I fear, namely that Mercedes are too far ahead for the season to be anything else but a race for second (or even third)

???

They've raced 200 out of 4000 miles... wind your chin in :D
Yeah I know. It's just that not only did they win the first race, they were totally dominant. Throughout I had the feeling that Nico could run seconds quicker per lap if needed. Add to that the pre-season testing and it is very clear that the Mercedes engine is much better than the other ones ATM and that it seems that the Mercedes AMG team also has succeded when it comes to car design. If that is indeed the case then this season will be even more boring than the second part of last one.

As much as I love a wet race, I'm looking forward to a guaranteed dry qualifying/race just so we can get a real idea of the running order. But then I could be speaking too soon and we might not see any rain this weekend...
There will be enough dry races later on, I want to appreciate the wet races and qualifying while I can.:)

There will be enough dry races later on, I want to appreciate the wet races and qualifying while I can.:)

The problem is that as the insurance requirements tighten and tighten the less likely we are to see races on tracks like Sepang and CdGV in medium-wet and above. No chopper equals no race. It's for the right reasons (very obviously) but that doesn't stop it being frustrating.

I usually just watch the re-broadcast of this race as it's on at 3AM local time, but I may just have to stay up and watch it live as it's shaping up to be rather interesting.

I can appreciate that, but it is frustrating not completely knowing where everyone stands just yet.

Isn't that sort of the fun part? It was totally boring when we knew Vettel and Webber had the fastest machinery and would dominate every race, bar the unforseen. Not knowing exactly what to expect going in is why I watch F1, it's only under those conditions that a great driver can actually make a difference.

I can appreciate that, but it is frustrating not completely knowing where everyone stands just yet.

I think the uncertainty makes for a great season, but a more relevant statement would be "knowing where everyone stands for now. Malaysia could produce a dry weekend so we see where teams stand, but with the rate of development in 2014 you could expect an order change by Bahrain. I think we need to look at the 2014 season race by race until at least the European races, possibly even halfway into the championship.

Forecasts show thunderstorms, so this race will be all about the drivers and mechanical grip.
I think they will be lucky to shod the cars with anything but wets for the entire weekend.

For me wet weather is a lottery, it's just luck and whoever wins is forever known as a rainmaster even if they look bad in the rain next time around. I don't mind a wet weekend as long as there are a few dry ones before it, I'm looking forward to see what the V6s can do on a bigger straight at full power.

I enjoy dry races that go wet. 9/10 times you get a run away driver nowadays, it's a great way to have them brought pack in to the back without anything artificial.

And i remember that there has been a 50/50 with chance of thunderstorms prediction every single time in Malaysia...and about 50/50 times the rain came just after the race!!

So,as m8h3r just said,i hope for a race that starts dry,and then goes wet....aslong as if this happends,they dont redflag or safetycar the race for an hour...ok,safety first,but for real,remember that race with the 2 ferrari's in the lead and schumi and barri went off?....what year whas that? 2001?....awesome race that whas!!

Lets see what will happen,cant wait for 1st fp tomorrow,hope that 1 will be bone dry and we see who is fast on a real circuit in stead of a street circuit as Melbourne whas....

👍:cheers:

Spy.

Back