2014 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 1,519 comments
Lewis Hamilton is having an engine chance right now so don't expect to see him out in FP1.

Teams were saying earlier than an engine change could take around 6 hours with the new cars and because of that they won't be bothering with FP3 (If an engine goes pop they would miss qualifying).

E- Lotus and RBR might struggle to make FP1 too...

"Hey boys, theres the new Marussia going past."
2_zps574da2ea.png

*29 minutes later* "Still there.."
1_zps8aef090b.png

Pressure must be huge for the race teams, hopefully every car runs fine and no big downtime that involves missing practice sessions.

I guess Vettel is worried what he will have this race when he puts his trousers down for qualifying and sees what he has got, Renault says he can now use full power of his power unit (Va Va Voom). Others are struggling to hide what they got already.
Well the car isn't aerodynamically flawed, Newey's cars are usually anything but, so if his engine can give him reasonable performance he might be able to stick it in the top 5. Completing the race is a completely different matter, however.

This session will probably be a bit boring at first, it's usually treated as an extended test session, where some teams actually run shakedown laps for a good amount of time before really trying to go for any form of speed.

Lewis Hamilton is having an engine chance right now so don't expect to see him out in FP1.

Teams were saying earlier than an engine change could take around 6 hours with the new cars and because of that they won't be bothering with FP3 (If an engine goes pop they would miss qualifying).

E- Lotus and RBR might struggle to make FP1 too...

That's fine having nico to gauge the Benz

What's not so fine is if this engine counts as one of Lewis' 5 for the season (not sure what the rules are since it hasn't run a mile before breaking).

I don't know for sure either, F1 Fanatic had a pretty detailed article on the rules for this year, I was just too lazy to read it.

Alan Jones first comments on the cars "That sounds horrible" From the onboard video I agree.

One of the commentators said the cars won't be going above 12,500rpm this weekend because of fuel restrictions. Surely they'll reach the limit for qualifying though.

No as the power unit hasnt run on track

Not sure, the cutoff point is the "start of the event", the engines have to have already been stickered at some point so while he won't take penalty at this event I think the engine will still be one of his 5.

That's referring to SR 28.4

One of the commentators said the cars won't be going above 12,500rpm this weekend because of fuel restrictions. Surely they'll reach the limit for qualifying though.

Possibly, but would you risk the engine? Better to be in it than win it this weekend.

I think people are going to be surprised by how little energy is in 100kg of fuel, the tyres and pads. To deploy/recover all that and be the first to complete a 200 mile road race with the maximum efficiency is going to be a real feat of race engineering.

Not sure, the cutoff point is the "start of the event", the engines have to have already been stickered at some point so while he won't take penalty at this event I think the engine will still be one of his 5.

That's referring to SR 28.4
Confirmed by Mercedes AMG it wasn't run on track therefore doesn't count towards the changes over the season so as it didn't run on track it doesn't count but as soon as it does then it counts

Interesting! The weather light flashes when DRS is used up so the driver behind knows... I hadn't realised that! :D

EDIT (as riccardo nearly stuffs it) that seems fair enough for Hamilton's engine, he hasn't started the event-proper so it's right that it shouldn't count, I just couldn't see the "start" point that the regs referred to.

I was horrified to see Red Bull fastest.

Then I realised they are several seconds off last year's pace.

I'm still a bit worried.

Let the monster wheel spin make proper men out of these drivers, oh they thought they knew what the limit was

EDIT: I want Kamui's hat.

Last edited:
I just couldn't see the "start" point that the regs referred to.

D'uh, now I can: "A power unit or any of the six components will be deemed to have been used once the car’s timing transponder has shown that it has left the pit lane"

I know you guys were right, it was just annoying me not being able to see it in the regs :D

Why is Vettel's stripe red where Riccardo's is purple?

Friction

Latest Posts

Back