2014 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 1,519 comments
Do Australians really drink Fosters? It's a bit weak'n'weedy, if Blighty's version's anything to go by.

Fosters, VB, XXXX, Tooheys and a few others.

bartvs-australia1_thumb.png

Something wrong yank?

Do F1 cars need Power steering?
From what i hear, power steering disables in road cars when you start going above 62mph(100 km/h)

From what i hear, power steering disables in road cars when you start going above 62mph(100 km/h)

Not sure to be honest when it comes to F1 I know in other racing series when it goes out they have to really wheel the car around. I'd say it's probably and issue hence the frantic Grosjean.

Fosters, VB, XXXX, Tooheys and a few others.
Something wrong yank?

Gosh no, but you need a good bitter really :D

394px-Ale_Bitter.jpg

OT: The FIF1 keeps reminding me of the old Orange Arrows :)

And yes, there's a very small amount of leverage on the wheel to move large sticky wheels with a huge amount of weight on them. The faster you go the more the front weighs in total so I guess the diminishing is much less than it is in a road car.

I believe they have relatively massive caster on them compared to what road cars would have, which makes the steering heavier even at speed, but I could be wrong. Also, massive fat soft tyres have gotta be harder to turn than the little eco tyres most road cars run.

Edit: Tree'd by @TenEightyOne :D

Vettel just put in a flier, and he was clearly pushing for lap time. But everyone around him on the time sheets has been coasting a little more - even on their quick laps, they clearly have more to give.

But maybe I am just getting my hopes up of a Red Bull disaster.

Vettel just put in a flier, and he was clearly pushing for lap time. But everyone around him on the time sheets has been coasting a little more - even on their quick laps, they clearly have more to give.

But maybe I am just getting my hopes up of a Red Bull disaster.

Yeah he was really working it for that one, and Rosberg I feel has a second or more to give, and so do Williams.

Wow Vettel is really pushing it he's all over the place.

The one made out of spare cutlery? (Or am I the only one who sees the Uri Geller tribute?)

EDIT: POST 3,000! - Wish I'd done something funnier... :D

TeaSpoon.jpg

Last edited:
Kvyat on the circuit at the moment, and the commentators are going to extraordinary lengths to avoid pronouncing his name - in the course of a lap, they have managed to refer to him as "Daniil", "Danii", "the Russian", "the youngster", "the nineteen year-old", "the rookie", "the Toro Rosso driver" and "the reigning GP3 champion".

I suppose it's better than Alan Jones calling him "Kiff Yurt" and making it two words.

Now issues for Ferrari, I think it's safe to say that no one is bulletproof and just when you think one big team has troubles don't think your team is safe.

I can't remember when I last saw the cars sliding around like that through the first third of the circuit. I love this track :D

I can't remember when I last saw the cars sliding around like that through the first third of the circuit. I love this track :D

Last time I remember cars sliding around at all is when they banned traction control back in the mid 90s

Oh my gosh that power slide Perez just pulled made me fall in love with the FI even more.

Last edited:
Rosberg looking very chilled indeed.

Not enough 'Martini' at the front of the Williams, and what there is gets lots in the 'shoulders' of the nose/front monocoque.

Marussia looking good, they're well ahead of Lotus and Caterham and look like they might be able to challenge Sauber. Early days, but they look like they're a lot closer to the midfield this year.

Not a fan of the new graphics. The colour-coding for the teams is fairly random - it would be better if they used it for tyre compounds.
Agree. I was expecting them to add a colour to each drivers name when they changed the tyre colours themselves a few years ago.
Not even my third party app does it.

DTM has tire compound graphics IIRC. Ericsson hasn't been back on track since his installation lap, so far it's been a disaster for Caterham, they haven't set a laptime yet.

Whoah, nice save by Grosjean!

DTM has tire compound graphics IIRC. Ericsson hasn't been back on track since his installation lap, so far it's been a disaster for Caterham, they haven't set a laptime yet.

At this rate I expect them to break curfew and start both cars from the pits...

Lap times falling away quickly in the early evening.

Lotus looking horrible. Slow-motion replay shows Grosjean running wide over the ripple strip, with the front wing shuddering back and forth.

Not a fan of the new graphics. The colour-coding for the teams is fairly random - it would be better if they used it for tyre compounds.

I'm on the fence. The colors do help me quickly find the Mercedes drivers at a glance without having to run through the list reading each name, but only certain colors really leap out at me. When we go to commercial and there's graphics for the top drivers, they have two-color boxes with their numbers, and I wish they would have smaller versions on the left side of the screen rather than just gray or teal stripes.

I figured out where Red Bull's speed is coming from - they are really running wide on the exit of each corner. McLaren and Mercedes are sailing through Turn 12 and glancing the ripple strip, but Red Bull are throwing themselves across it just to keep their speed up. It's really killing them in the first sector because they have to move from side to side a lot just to position the car. They just can't keep the speed up if they stay on the racing line. Ricciardo reporting high degradation in the front tyres, and with the wheelspin in the rear end, they could wind up in the wall. Both of the drivers are having to back out after about six laps - it must be exhausting.

I got to hear the cars for a little bit this afternoon( I was in Docklands 4km from the circuit). They sound like Ducatis electronically dubbed in a way. When I got home and watched the recorded practice 2, the commentators said they sound like sewing machines. 👎

downpour predicted from tonight through Saturday.

Back