2014 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 1,519 comments
Marcus Ericsson's car has a battery issue, so that's two cars out already.

McLaren answered a question on twitter about the time it takes to change engine/gearbox this year with "about 4 hours". :eek:

Is it just the TV network that is making the exhaust sound more quite or do the cars have mufflers now.

They are really ... quiet.

Starting to sounds like formula 3 cars, maybe due to the electric engines reducing sound exuberance from the engine.

I don't think the IRBR camera IS legal.

Here are the positions in which they're allowed;

CameraLocs.jpg

TR 20.3.4
Any camera or camera housing fitted in the left hand position 2 shown in Drawing 6 must be
mounted in order that its major axis where passing through the centre of the camera lens (or corresponding position for a camera housing) does not intersect any part of the car lying forward of the camera or camera housing.

The camera hole in the nose clearly has the centreline over the nose. And isn't in the position of 2. I think that will be protested and that's why it's only on one car... IRBR expect it to fail scrutineering but are trying it to see.

So, one Mercedes unable to complete a lap, one Ferrari on top, and 4 seconds between this year and last year's times. Is that due to the period of acclimatization that everyone is dealing with now, or are the cars all really that much slower around the corners?

Does anyone have a link to a page that may have the speed traps for this session?

Well, its not looking good for Lotus or Caterham... A total of 4 (incomplete) laps between them. Red bull looks to have sorted some of their problems, which they'll be happy about.

Its fairly clear everyone is sandbagging, we won't know where anyone is until Q1 tomorrow.

Really happy to see Williams towards the top during practice.:D

Of course Pastor broke something.

Of course.

To be fair, the Renault powered cars seem to come pre-broken.:lol:

At this rate I'll be shocked to see Lotus complete the warm-up lap.

So, one Mercedes unable to complete a lap, one Ferrari on top, and 4 seconds between this year and last year's times. Is that due to the period of acclimatization that everyone is dealing with now, or are the cars all really that much slower around the corners?

They are a bit slower through the corners, saw Vettel brake more than usual for turn 5 on a fast lap. But these cars are faster on the straights I'm pretty sure.

No one was running full engine power I believe, as they check to see the car is doing good and do set-up work. Cars were running on heavier fuel too + medium tires.

I'm guessing pole will be ~ 3 seconds faster than Alonso's 1'31.8.

To be fair, the Renault powered cars seem to come pre-broken.:lol:

At this rate I'll be shocked to see Lotus complete the warm-up lap.

Indeed.

I'd also be surprised if something doesn't catch fire before the end of this week.

From where I am in Melbourne I can hear the V8's racing at the moment but couldn't hear the F1 cars at all. Must be very quiet.

I see Channel Ten are taking any excuse to show the footage of Australia's Winter Olympic medallists. Wasn't there a car race on this weekend?

From where I am in Melbourne I can hear the V8's racing at the moment but couldn't hear the F1 cars at all. Must be very quiet.

It's just FP1 though and not everyone was on the track, I think come Quali or the Race you'll be able to I'm sure.

And Williams already have penalties for both drivers...smh

Lotus does as well for power system, and so does Caterham for the power system. Mercedes was a sensor issue so lucky for them no changes needed.

Kobayashi won't get out for FP2. Which means he will have a total of 1 outlap under his belt before FP3. (And potentially qualifying).

Back