2014 Santander British Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is had Kimi rejoined without crashing if no one would have mentioned it then why should we mention it now.
Uh, because he crashed? You can't say "well, he might not have crashed, so it doesn't matter that he did". The fact is that he crashed while rejoining the circuit in a dangerous manner, and the loss of control that led to the crash was entirely avoidable. He made no effort to slow down when he went off, and doing so would have led to his safely rejoining the race - the very outcome that you cite as a possibility. Räikkönen deserves a penalty.

Uh, because he crashed? You can't say "well, he might not have crashed, so it doesn't matter that he did". The fact is that he crashed while rejoining the circuit in a dangerous manner, and the loss of control that led to the crash was entirely avoidable. He made no effort to slow down when he went off, and doing so would have led to his safely rejoining the race - the very outcome that you cite as a possibility. Räikkönen deserves a penalty.

He deserves a penalty yes, my problem is consistency, I really doubt we would be talking about this had there not been a bump and he rejoined without crashing (at the same speed).

You cant compare what did happen with what might have happened if...

The fact is, he rejoined the track in an unsafe manner and took out another driver. The fact that he bounced off the wall first doesn't really matter.

Moving on ...

FERNANDO ALONSO FP2 best time (FP3 and quali in the wet) .................. - 1'35,244

JULES BIANCHI TEST DAY best time ................................................... - 1'35,262

Nice ...

EDIT - The guy had never driven the F14T before . Never!

Moving on ...

FERNANDO ALONSO FP2 best time (FP3 and quali in the wet) .................. - 1'35,244

JULES BIANCHI TEST DAY best time ................................................... - 1'35,262

Nice ...

EDIT - The guy had never driven the F14T before . Never!
He'd never drove it before but I bet he was eager to push the car a bit, it looked like Kevin did that earlier in the season when he made the Mclaren look fast in pre-season testing.

0fiLIqx.jpg

Oh dear please no. It would be like watching goatse race

unless youre already permanently scarred do not google that.

That we probably wouldn't mention it had there not been a bump and he crashed. Hey Kimi had an off there.....anyway.
Would it make it any less of a wrong doing no it wouldn't although I'm sure Kimi had space to rejoin.

My point is had Kimi rejoined without crashing if no one would have mentioned it then why should we mention it now.I'd argue his mistake was not knowing about the bump in the road.

Swing and a miss.

0fiLIqx.jpg

Oh dear please no. It would be like watching goatse race

unless youre already permanently scarred do not google that.

I don't think it's that bad. I suspect it would become unnoticeable very quickly.

Unlike, say, the penis noses which still get on my nerves.

I actually like the 18" wheels more than I though I would. Although it might be just those wheels I like.

But what annoys me is that it's fallen into the chav trap. Where a young lad puts 18 or 19" wheels on his Corsa and they're so big that you can see all of the inside of the wheel arch because his brakes are too small. I hate that look.

The FIA have rejected claims that they should have penalised Räikkönen, claiming that any driver would have done the same thing, and stating that he would not have gained an advantage if he had rejoined.

Not to worry, though - given his chronic underperformance, he probably won't be around for long enough to see his projected retirement date of 2016.

Given Rosberg got away with keeping the hammer down when he went off a few races ago... they're probably right.

But only because they allow it.

I actually like the 18" wheels more than I though I would. Although it might be just those wheels I like.

But what annoys me is that it's fallen into the chav trap. Where a young lad puts 18 or 19" wheels on his Corsa and they're so big that you can see all of the inside of the wheel arch because his brakes are too small. I hate that look.

I think eventually they'll allow brakes to fill up the space. I don't think any team would say no to brakes that are easier to keep cool.

Might be, might not be. Think the same total brake mass, but spread out over a larger area to dissipate heat better. Then some of that extra ducting that pumps air through the brakes can be removed to reduce drag.

And even if they're heavier, it might even be worth the effort to be able to brake harder longer... especially considering the brake failures this season on the worse tracks.

Yeah brakes designed for the rim size would be nice... I think what still bugs me is the tires don't look enough different front to rear. R18, 660 high, and only 15 difference in width (355 vs 380). Especially this year with the huge difference in torque, would have thought the "show" could have been improved by allowing them considerably bigger, wider tires on the back. DTM and SuperGT also have different profiles for front and rear (300/680 vs 320/710, both on R18) so the fronts have nice stiff response and the rears I guess could mediate some of the torque and nervousness? Would be nice if that were also visible in F1.

I agree with most of what you said here,
Liar.

but the part where Nico's gearbox failure made him slower isn't true at all. Since the issue popped up then and there more so than a chronic issue that was being nursed all race as you claim. We've seen chronic issues this year from MGP and this wasn't one of them. This was an acute failure and looked more to do with the electronics than anything but we have to wait and see on that front.
Perhaps you didn't listen to his interviews. Maybe he said what he said as an excuse, but my understanding was that he had an issue at the start that went away. Then in the race, some time after the second stop, he started having issues with the shifts. It wasn't sudden. I don't remember his exact words to be honest, but I do remember him complaining about the gearbox on the radio before he slowed down and let Hamilton pass.

Be a good boy and find an interview where someone from Mercedes says the issue happened suddenly :P

Now I say this because I've looked at the FIA released times, and it shows Nico as third overall fastest of the race and doing so on lap 26.

This means we can deduce that even the quite fast RBRs and Single Williams couldn't get to that time even with less fuel and somewhat fresh tires after Nico was gone.
This doesn't mean anything. Like you said, a Redbull managed to get a faster time. You can take the other side of it and say it's proof that Nico had a problem since he should've been lapping fast enough to stay ahead of any other car's lap time regardless of fuel and tyres. They have shown this to be true before.

Also Hamilton started cruising* after Rosberg retired. You can't consider those laptimes.

*He even pitted for new tyres unnecessarily.

If this was a chronic issue from the start of the race as you've suggested this shouldn't have been possible especially when he set his fastest time of the race two laps prior to the car expiring.
again, I didn't say the issue wasn't from the start of the race. Nico implied it happened after the pitstop and it wasn't sudden.

In reality Lewis had a better first stint than his team mate
No. I remember Nico was pulling away from Hamilton, then suddenly stopped pulling away and pitted too early. Maybe that was his strategy, abuse the tyres early to make a lead and pit as soon as they fall off.

Off topic: Does teh F1 app show full data after the race? Each car's lap time etc? I tried downloading it for my ipad but there's a region conflict or some ****. If the android version is any good I may trying downloading it from there on my phone to avoid having these debates.

and also what looked to be a better second stint.
Different tyres, different tyre life and that gearbox issue.

I agree we'll never know if he could have passed him but he was on the move to catch him for sure.
Catch him in the second stint, yes. Pass? We'll never know. Stay ahead in the final laps of the race? We'll never know.

and really I wouldn't want to see this championship marred by who had the least DNFs
Who does?
Unless Canada is equal to you? If so that's fine I rather not rehash that GP since you're the reason that thread was closed.
Canada is equal and I am not alone in that. I remember Martin Brundle and numerous other "professionals" that share that belief.

There's little point in posting facts when they will just be ignored. I will find it refreshing if I can come into an F1 thread without BHRxRacer showing some bias or being a hater. Otherwise next time, he'll be the very first person I feel the need to set to ignore on any forum I've ever been on.
Fact: Facts are either facts, or they're not. There's no such thing as actual facts and non-actual facts.

Nope, Nico still owes us 1 DNF :P
us? Who? ...oh and you're not wishing harm upon another drive are you?

@Peasantslayer noted.

EDIT

The FIA have rejected claims that they should have penalised Räikkönen, claiming that any driver would have done the same thing, and stating that he would not have gained an advantage if he had rejoined.

So basically what I said. Ha.

Nico pulled away for like 3 laps. Lewis said he was looking after the tyres a bit and started to unleash them and that's when he started taking a couple of tenths out each lap so the gap went from 5.5 to under 3 seconds when Nico pitted.

Nico's issue popped up on lap 20 shortly after his 1st stop with a downshift issue which the team reacted by changing his gearbox settings to try and help the issue. He did say he had an issue at the start(I believe lap to the grid/formation lap) but he thought nothing of it.

He complained of an upshift issue on lap 28 a lap before his failure, and that lap had been very slow in the first sector(a second slower than usual, I had live timing during the race).

Then the gearbox went into the Loop and he managed to get up to 5th gear before the team told him to try and shift and he shifted into 6th and lost all gears and drive.

FIA website has all the lap charts too.

Anyway I'm pretty sure Lewis would have beaten him anyway. The hard tyre was working well with the temperatures at the time hence why he was so fast.

Nico's lap times were fine before he lost 1 second before he retired.

I know Lewis was flying but Nico wasn't going that slow and had done a personal best himself on new tyres but the gap between them did surprise me, Lewis had the pace and owes part of that to the hard tyre as I said earlier, worked very well with the temperatures at the time. I'm sad that we never saw the battle that was coming but atleast the championship fight gets interesting again.

Nico pulled away for like 3 laps. Lewis said he was looking after the tyres a bit and started to unleash them and that's when he started taking a couple of tenths out each lap so the gap went from 5.5 to under 3 seconds when Nico pitted.
Lewis was looking after the tyres and Nico wasn't. That was their respective strategies. I wouldn't use that as evidence that Hamilton was "faster" than Nico.

Nico's issue popped up on lap 20 shortly after his 1st stop with a downshift issue which the team reacted by changing his gearbox settings to try and help the issue. He did say he had an issue at the start(I believe lap to the grid/formation lap) but he thought nothing of it.
And you don't think that issue hindered his laps, even slightly? He isn't comfortable enough on the brakes when the downshifts are working fine.

He complained of an upshift issue on lap 28 a lap before his failure, and that lap had been very slow in the first sector(a second slower than usual, I had live timing during the race).
Ok...all of that means it wasn't a sudden failure like @LMSCorvetteGT2 claims.

FIA website has all the lap charts too.
This? I only see a graph. No numbers.

Anyway I'm pretty sure Lewis would have beaten him anyway.
And I'm pretty sure Rosberg would've won at Australia and Canada anyway :)

Must have been thinking about something else then(in reference to lap charts) but they do have a file with all the drivers and their lap times through the GP. :)

Maybe. I tried looking for data on their websites a lot before, and found nothing. It's awful, everything is hard to find.

Excellent! Where exactly did you find that file, though?

FIA's official website usually has it after the race if not the next day. And some of the better F1 websites have the info right after the race from Formula 1 website as well.

As for everything else, the British GP was a week and half ago I'm not going to get in a pissing contest with you that you've already been proven wrong on without my intervention. Quit with the bull crap and move on with life.

FIA's official website usually has it after the race if not the next day. And some of the better F1 websites have the info right after the race from Formula 1 website as well.

As for everything else, the British GP was a week and half ago I'm not going to get in a pissing contest with you that you've already been proven wrong on without my intervention. Quit with the bull crap and move on with life.
Hilarious. Really. That's exactly what I should be saying to you.

Hilarious. Really. That's exactly what I should be saying to you.

Not sure how since I didn't come into a thread and try to drum up attention by arguing with people on a time frame of your own creation. I guess you're hoping @daan closes this thread like the Canada one due to you...

Not sure how since I didn't come into a thread and try to drum up attention by arguing with people on a time frame of your own creation. I guess you're hoping @daan closes this thread like the Canada one due to you...
I'm sorry I replied to your post, in which you argued and later "dissed" me. I keep saying I shouldn't be so nice :rolleyes:

I'm sorry I replied to your post, in which you argued and later "dissed" me. I keep saying I shouldn't be so nice :rolleyes:

Which post did I do this "dissing" on, I hope you're not saying Canada cause that'd be the second time this year you quoted me without proof. If it's here that I supposedly made you look slanderous please point it out.

Also I highly doubt people find you all that pleasant, and you yourself are the only one that seems to think you're such a nice guy. Outside of here maybe, on here few and far between to be honest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back