2014 Santander German Grand Prix

Sutil's car wasn't exactly on the racing line though.
But during last year's British GP, Vettel had pulled up against the pit wall near the start/finish line when he retired, in the first 50% of the straight. At Silverstone, the racing line doesn't go near the wall until the first corner. They still brought out the safety car for that. In this case, they made a horrible mistake in not bringing out the safety car.

I would say he has an awful lot to acheive before you can rank him ahead of Jack Brabham, but agree that he definitely looks like the real deal.
Driver wise I think it's possible, but as a complete package Brabham was probably the GOAT as no one will ever match what he did with his own creation.

After a few hours of thinking it over, my opinion about what happened after Sutil's spin hasn't changed one bit.

Not deploying the safety car was an affront to the safety of both track marshals and drivers. I cannot comprehend anyone making such a foolish call sending multiple people out onto a front stretch to a car in a vulnerable and difficult to remove position and yet, it happened. I understand the need to maintain race integrity but sacrificing safety in that fashion is unacceptable. 👎
Yeah for sure, no marshals should ever be subjected to walking over the racing line without a safety car deployed, had one of them tripped it could of ended fatal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decent race. I fell asleep during qualifying, watched it late, then did the same with the race.

Most of the drivers were drivers of the day really, given their cars and luck.

Button did great, but he could've extended his second to last stint to avoid falling back so rapidly in the end.

Magnussen did great, and the first lap incident wasn't his fault at all. It's the start of a race, Massa should've been more aware of his surroundings. Had this been Grosjean or Maldonado, you know what the reaction would be.

Ricciardo, Alonso and Vettel did great. No explanation needed.

Raikkonen seemed to be fine on fresh tyres, and his defensive line against Hamilton was ballsy. Sadly he got squeezed twice, and his car is just ****.

Would've included Hamilton there but:
1) His car was fast enough to do what eh did anyway. Would've liked to see him overtake one of the RedBulls or Alonso on the track rather than through the pits. Not that he had to, but I would've liked to see it.
2) He was overly aggressive
3) His childish comment about the safety car being a conspiracy. Enough of that already. He retracted that when he was confronted, but didn't explain why he said it in the first place.

3 qualifying sessions in a row now that Hamilton has had some form of bad luck come his way.
Pretty sure Austria and Silverstone were entirely his fault but okay, whatever makes you happy.

3) His childish comment about the safety car being a conspiracy. Enough of that already. He retracted that when he was confronted, but didn't explain why he said it in the first place.

There are quite a lot of people who agree with Lewis that the safety car should have been brought out. Myself included.

As for claiming it as a conspiracy, he's been asked about it in the heat of the moment and there'll be all sorts of thoughts going through his head. If I was him I'd have probably said the same thing.
I'd even say so if he was in the lead and Rosberg was catching him.

There are quite a lot of people who agree with Lewis that the safety car should have been brought out. Myself included.

As for claiming it as a conspiracy, he's been asked about it in the heat of the moment and there'll be all sorts of thoughts going through his head. If I was him I'd have probably said the same thing.
I'd even say so if he was in the lead and Rosberg was catching him.
It has nothing to do with whether or not a safety car should be deployed. It's just the conspiracy theory part. If you would've done the same, and you've had a history of doing that, then it's obviously a pattern not just a misphrased answer. I have little doubt that deep down he thinks everyone in F1 is conspiring against him.

It has nothing to do with whether or not a safety car should be deployed. It's just the conspiracy theory part. If you would've done the same, and you've had a history of doing that, then it's obviously a pattern not just a misphrased answer. I have little doubt that deep down he thinks everyone in F1 is conspiring against him.

I doubt he thinks everyone is against him.
He knows as well as the next person, sport is really political these days and F1 is and always has been political. The safety car situation did smell slightly political to me and he's probably thought the same. I doubt he's alone in thinking that in the paddock.

Sadly Saturday kind of ruined the race for 1st, however it made for great viewing with Hamilton scything through the field! Faster car yes but take nothing away from his gutsy (and sometimes overly aggressive) passes.

Valtteri Bottas drove well to second, but I think Mercedes should have been wary of the threat much earlier. Remember after first stops when Hamilton was told not to defend hard against Bottas...

That Lotus looks awful as well, at least they have secured Maldonado('s money) for another season...

I doubt he thinks everyone is against him.
He knows as well as the next person, sport is really political these days and F1 is and always has been political. The safety car situation did smell slightly political to me and he's probably thought the same. I doubt he's alone in thinking that in the paddock.
Well, not everyone of course. I'd accept his suggestion that there's a conspiracy against him if it was the first time it happened. He's been doing it all season (and previous seasons), and none of those conspiracy claims hold true.

I do agree that sports are too political now. Hey, Qatar's hosting the world cup. I wouldn't blame him if he thought the safety car was a conspiracy as well, but like I said, he's not doing it because it's reasonable, he's cried wolff before many times.

Well, not everyone of course. I'd accept his suggestion that there's a conspiracy against him if it was the first time it happened. He's been doing it all season (and previous seasons), and none of those conspiracy claims hold true.

I do agree that sports are too political now. Hey, Qatar's hosting the world cup. I wouldn't blame him if he thought the safety car was a conspiracy as well, but like I said, he's not doing it because it's reasonable, he's cried wolff before many times.

Yeah I agree he's claimed conspiracy theories in the past which have been childish, one in particular, Monaco 2011. That was silly but this one I think holds some slight truth in there.

Yeah I agree he's claimed conspiracy theories in the past which have been childish, one in particular, Monaco 2011. That was silly but this one I think holds some slight truth in there.
There's an argument for it, yes. Coming out of Hamilton's mouth though, makes me think he would've said it anyway. Whether it made sense or not. That's why it bugged me. I'd appreciate it if he stopped bitching about everything, rightfully or not.

edit

I thought Hamilton overtook Alonso twice on track towards the end of the race.

I remember Raikkonen. Might've confused him with Alonso. If so, I stand corrected.

There's an argument for it, yes. Coming out of Hamilton's mouth though, makes me think he would've said it anyway. Whether it made sense or not. That's why it bugged me. I'd appreciate it if he stopped bitching about everything, rightfully or not

To be honest, I'd rather him speak his mind. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it. You rarely see drivers these days speak out of their PR language.

I'd love him to come out on a massive rant and swear and curse in front of all the TV crews. Just to liven things up.

There's an argument for it, yes. Coming out of Hamilton's mouth though, makes me think he would've said it anyway. Whether it made sense or not. That's why it bugged me. I'd appreciate it if he stopped bitching about everything, rightfully or not.

edit

I remember Raikkonen. Might've confused him with Alonso. If so, I stand corrected.
I'm sure he passed him on his way to Bottas, catching 2-3 seconds a lap.

To be honest, I'd rather him speak his mind. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it. You rarely see drivers these days speak out of their PR language.

I'd love him to come out on a massive rant and swear and curse in front of all the TV crews. Just to liven things up.
I'd rather everybody speaks their minds as well. I speak my mind here a lot, but you guys don't have to like it (and you don't :D). Know what I mean?

I'm sure he passed him on his way to Bottas, catching 2-3 seconds a lap.
Okay..
He did but it wasn't picked up by the cameras. I remember the cameras picking up Alonso into Turn 8 and Lewis had already passed him.
That makes sense. Thanks.

I'd rather everybody speaks their minds as well. I speak my mind here a lot, but you guys don't have to like it (and you don't :D). Know what I mean?

That makes sense. Thanks.

I know, I'm just throwing my two cents worth in, I rarely contribute in these threads besides the OP.

I can't remember what lap it was though, within the last 7 or 8 though.

But during last year's British GP, Vettel had pulled up against the pit wall near the start/finish line when he retired, in the first 50% of the straight. At Silverstone, the racing line doesn't go near the wall until the first corner. They still brought out the safety car for that. In this case, they made a horrible mistake in not bringing out the safety car.

The stewards this year are evidently more "let them race" it's clear for a while now, heck I bet that's why we are seeing more overtakes driver's are alot braver.

I think the major issue with that situation is that the trackside marshals from the outside of the Sudkurve exit ran across the track to attend to the car, when it should have been the ones at the entrance of the pitlane instead. While the danger of a car spinning into them would have been there, albeit very low due to the drivers being aware of Sutil's stranded car and the yellows for that corner, the chances of them getting struck by a car on the racing line wouldn't have.

I think the major issue with that situation is that the trackside marshals from the outside of the Sudkurve exit ran across the track to attend to the car, when it should have been the ones at the entrance of the pitlane instead.

Agreed - I found it amazing that the car sat there so long and no one from the inside of the track came to get it, I mean it's stopped right near a gap in the Armco. I was glad they didn't deploy the SC in this instance but where's the efficiency that I've seen in places like Monaco where they make a crashed car disappear within one lap, including sweeping away the debris?

Then there's times like Massa, continued denying any wrongdoing and even casting aspersions on the other driver, instead of just utilizing some PR speak like "I don't know exactly what happened yet, I'll need to look at the video..." I would think it pretty embarrassing that a moment where you find out you were dead wrong is awaiting and you now have to retract and apologize for all the nonsense you said... Will Buxton was trying to suggest that maybe if the FIA used language like "no further action is warranted", then Massa should consider he could have been somewhat at fault, and Massa responds by digging even deeper... :boggled:

Last edited:
About Rosberg winning the German GP in a German car, I could've sworn that David Croft said that Rosberg is the first German driver to win the German GP in a German car with a German engine....

...also Hamilton made a total of 27 overtakes yesterday! :eek:

About Rosberg winning the German GP in a German car, I could've sworn that David Croft said that Rosberg is the first German driver to win the German GP in a German car with a German engine....

...also Hamilton made a total of 27 overtakes yesterday! :eek:
That's not correct. Caracciola won the German GP in a Mercedes, but Rosberg is the first to do it since Caracciola did.

In the history of Formula One... which is only since 1950. Caracciola raced in the 1930's.

If Croft said "in Formula One history..." then it can't be argued as it is correct. But if he just said "in the German GP...", then it is wrong.

I think the major issue with that situation is that the trackside marshals from the outside of the Sudkurve exit ran across the track to attend to the car, when it should have been the ones at the entrance of the pitlane instead. While the danger of a car spinning into them would have been there, albeit very low due to the drivers being aware of Sutil's stranded car and the yellows for that corner, the chances of them getting struck by a car on the racing line wouldn't have.

But Sutil did spin off that last corner and look at how long it took to remove his car. This isn't the 'Ring where cars are spread out; F1 cars are whizzing by every few seconds at a distance closer than the typical breakdown situation. Maybe other people would be comfortable making that call but I wouldn't.

But Sutil did spin off that last corner and look at how long it took to remove his car. This isn't the 'Ring where cars are spread out; F1 cars are whizzing by every few seconds at a distance closer than the typical breakdown situation. Maybe other people would be comfortable making that call but I wouldn't.
Which is why the marshals running from the outside of the circuit, across the racing line, to get to Sutil's car was extremely amateur and dangerous. The marshals in the pits could have retrieved the car without needing to cross racing lines to do so.

Which is why the marshals running from the outside of the circuit, across the racing line, to get to Sutil's car was extremely amateur and dangerous. The marshals in the pits could have retrieved the car without needing to cross racing lines to do so.
They deployed the safety car for the Lap 1 incident - arguably a safer situation- but not for a stalled car almost perpendicular to the track off a corner exit many feet away from reach? Wherever the marshals came from, this wasn't something that could be cleared quickly and that means greater risk to everyone.

If those are the types of calls that F1 will tolerate, shame on them. Marshals deserve more than that. 👎

Back