2015/16 Premier League & General Football Discussion

  • Thread starter Thread starter Liquid
  • 2,443 comments
  • 102,521 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advocaat is the first Prem boss to go? Called it way back in June.

Just a gut instinct. It's an all too familiar story by now.

Di Canio; keeps them up, puts them on track for relegation.
Poyet; keeps them up, puts them on track for relegation.
Advocaat; keeps them up, ??? ??? ???

Our two latest casualties have been added to the ever increasing list of departures. I feel a bit sorry for Advocaat. I really didn't want them to keep him on. Avoiding relegation from the Premiership with a bad team would have been a fairytale end to his managerial career if he really was set on retirement. Now there's a sour footnote to that.
 
Dickie says that he now is down with managing a club team. He would like to end his career as a nation manager. And knowing Dickie, he most likely will go where the money is.
 
Dickie says that he now is down with managing a club team. He would like to end his career as a nation manager. And knowing Dickie, he most likely will go where the money is.

He's already managed Netherlands, Belgium, UAE, South Korea, Russia and Serbia. He'll be running out of international teams to manage at this rate!
 
They always have a need for managers in the desert.

Just look where Bert van Marwijk is working these days.
 
You know what, Football League Tonight on Channel 5 isn't that bad. I like it. I'm not keen on the studio audience but it admittedly does bring something to the table; the programme is not as formal or rigid as it was on the Beeb.

And they have Michael Gray in as a pundit, who's rather good. Not as "bloke at the end of the bar" as Steve Claridge, not as fractionally dull as Adam Virgo. I've been impressed when he's on the show.
 
I completely disagree with the decision to sack Rodgers, he wasn't given enough time to bed in the players he bought in the Summer and things haven't been that bad for Liverpool so far this season, like I said last week its not like they are bottom with 0 points, they are 10th, four points off the top four, its not great I know but its not terrible either, its a harsh decision and I would've given him until Christmas to mould his team and if things didn't improve by then then they can get rid...
 
I completely disagree with the decision to sack Rodgers, he wasn't given enough time to bed in the players he bought in the Summer and things haven't been that bad for Liverpool so far this season, like I said last week its not like they are bottom with 0 points, they are 10th, four points off the top four, its not great I know but its not terrible either, its a harsh decision and I would've given him until Christmas to mould his team and if things didn't improve by then then they can get rid...
He was on a tight rope after last seasons display and the results from the Europa League didn't do him justice. Plus after spending over 200mill+, the board are going to set high expectations and if you are not going to fulfil them then simply you are not wanted. A manger can have so many chances and unfortunately for Rodgers he used all of them.
 
I'm sure he'll bounce back, he's only 42 after all...

Reports that Liverpool have already contacted representatives of Klopp and Ancelotti about the job.

Sam Allerdyce is the favourite for the Sunderland job, the likes of Michael Laudrup and Marut Yakin also being mentioned..
 
Whoever takes Sunderland, has to pray for a long career.
 
I love to see Sean Dyche take the plunge. He is a capable manager as well as an entertainer, I can see him taking a liking to the fans.
 
I would've given him until Christmas to mould his team

Giving his successor no time to assess the squad before the January window? No, you can say that they should have let him go in the summer if they weren't going to keep the faith but they didn't and with the season underway the best time to pull the trigger is now, nice and early. You can see how September's manager watch exploded. An incoming manager needs time with the squad to assess it and know who needs to be bought and sold.

As for Brendan Rodgers specifically, he has spent £292 million and won nothing. The culture at Liverpool has shifted from purchasing great players to buying players who might become great players in the future, to be sold at a profit. A selling club, as people like to say. Carragher is spot on. Liverpool have regressed into a Tottenham.

I know he wasn't there for all of this but only once in the last 6 years have Liverpool finished above 6th in the league. That's not good enough for a 'big' club.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DK
If anyone hasn't seen it or doesn't know there was a behind the scenes documentary on Wayne Rooney tonight on BBC and even if your not a fan of his its still worth a look as it was really good, its a shame its coincided with his big dip in form, I am ans always have been a big fan of his and I hope he gets back somewhere near his best soon..
 
Carragher is spot on. Liverpool have regressed into a Tottenham.
Except Liverpool finish below Tottenham.
 
Except Liverpool finish below Tottenham.

Thus not only turning Liverpool "into a Tottenham" but into a bad Tottenham. And lest we forget:

 
Next season it will be called 'La Liga Mazda' rather than the 'La Liga BBVA'.

image.jpeg
 
Does anyone really use the commercial sponsorship name? I never say Barclays premier league. I always say Prem/Premiership/premier league, or La Liga, seria A etc
 
Does anyone really use the commercial sponsorship name? I never say Barclays premier league. I always say Prem/Premiership/premier league, or La Liga, seria A etc
No, and yes. It's still the Vauxhall Conference in my head.
 
Nationwide Football League
Carling Cup
LDV Vans Trophy
Vauxhall Masterfit League of Wales

All strangely focused around 2004. But no, I'll never use sponsorship names. I'll even try for stadiums and team names. It annoys me because they create discontinuity;

Bolton don't play at the Reebok
Wigan don't play at the JJB
Leicester don't play at the Walkers
Chesterfield don't play at the b2net
Huddersfield don't play at the Galpharm
Derby don't play at Pride Park
Manchester City don't play at Eastlands
Arsenal don't play at Ashburton Grove
Walsall don't play at the Bescot

Mercifully, Newcastle don't play at the Sports Direct.

I'd prefer it if we looked up the geographical address of a stadium and use that in lieu of a 'real' stadium name;
Wigan moved from Springfield Park to Robin Park
Leicester in fact moved from Filbert Street to Filbert Way
Bolton moved from Burnden Park to Burnden Way
Chesterfield moved from Saltergate to Sheffield Road

Annoyingly, Huddersfield play at Stadium Way. Eastlands, Ashburton Grove and the Bescot would be acceptable due to being geographical.

Then there's those weird ones like Stoke who moved from the Victoria Ground to the Britannia Stadium and have retained that same sponsorship ever since.

Minus points for Cardiff, who moved from Ninian Park to the "Cardiff City Stadium", and Colchester, who moved from Layer Road to the "Colchester Community Stadium" (formerly known as the Weston Homes Community Stadium).

Plus points for teams like Southampton, who moved from the Dell to St. Mary's, and Scunthorpe, who moved from the Old Showground to Glanford Park.
 
What's Bournemouth's ground called these days? I've heard it referred to as the Goldsands Stadium, Dean Court and the Vitality Stadium in the last 12 months.
 
In Scotland Livingston's stadium is now called the Tony Macaroni stadium, sounds like a character from The Sopranos!
 
It must have been a while since a player scored a double hat-trick at the top level of professional football, shame Lewandowski couldn't get one

Scotland play Poland tonight.

Just sayin'.

:nervous:
 
What's Bournemouth's ground called these days? I've heard it referred to as the Goldsands Stadium, Dean Court and the Vitality Stadium in the last 12 months.

That's another one I'd forgotten about.

Middlesbrough initially moved to the BTCellnet Stadium but now play at the much more placable Riverside.
 
FULL Time!

Chelsea 1x3 Southampton
Goals

Chelsea: Willian
Southampton: Davies, Mané, Pellé

Chelsea is drowned in crisis.

I miss my Chelsea. :(
 
Messi has to stand trial in his tax fraud case. If convicted, he could be sentenced to 22 months behind bars.
 
Jurgen Klopp has reportedly agreed to become new Liverpool boss on a three year deal, he will bring in his own backroom staff and will have final say on transfers..
 
Scotland play Poland tonight.

Just sayin'.

:nervous:
I'm not sure which is worse, the fact Ireland are playing against a player who got 10 goals in 3 games, or the fact that they're playing a team that set him up.:ouch:

Why can't we play Gibralter again?:lol:
 
Messi has to stand trial in his tax fraud case. If convicted, he could be sentenced to 22 months behind bars.

I thought they dropped his tax evasion charges. Or was that only Neymar?
 
Klopp has arrived in Liverpool and Liverpool have called a press conference for tomorrow morning regarding 'a major club announcement', Garry McAllister ahs left his first team coach role but will still be a club ambassador.

Chelsea have been fined £40k and Arsenal £30k for their players conduct at their match a few weeks ago.
 
I thought they dropped his tax evasion charges. Or was that only Neymar?

They wanted to drop charges, but I think that the prosecutor a Real fan is.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back