2015 F1 Mechanics/Aero; Design predictions to win the WCC/WDC. READ FIRST POST

B7KcWpkIIAAR089.jpg

STR10 glimpse, obviously the monocoque

It has passed on the crash tests as well so perhaps it will be showing at the end of the month too.

That would be awesome, I really miss the HUGE rear tires that would allow massive power slides on corner exits that the drivers could easily catch and carry on...

Can we have those cool sloped kerbs back too? I liked when they would "nudge" you back onto the track if you ran a little bit wide, not like now where they are flat and a car width wide and everyone is always a centimeter from putting all four wheels off the track.

...So they've spent the past decade or so trying to reduce cornering speeds, for safety, and now they want to undo much of that and give the cars more power, and more grip. Since history has shown us that nothing could possibly go wrong when you open up the regulations in GP racing.
yes.gif

🤬 yeah! Bring it on. :D

I'd be fine with the cars just not looking so darn ugly like last year. :ill: :crazy: And the sound to be at least as good as this:

or

Oh you mean like what I was talking about earlier :sly:

...So they've spent the past decade or so trying to reduce cornering speeds, for safety, and now they want to undo much of that and give the cars more power, and more grip. Since history has shown us that nothing could possibly go wrong when you open up the regulations in GP racing.
yes.gif

🤬 yeah! Bring it on. :D

Hey now, the FIA abandonded the modern side skirts and smaller front and rear wing idea that was suppose to come with this package when it was first discussed. So in reality yes mechanical grip is being increased in what will still be an aero dominant sport. The fact that certain aero pieces are showing up and making it past (basically smaller renditions of 07/08), says something. The moment ground effects comes back to some capacity, then I'll take it all back.

No, it's a strategically-positioned hole that the team can use to make their feelings known about Maldonado's driving style when he pits. Penalties from the stewards haven't done much, so maybe a good, swift punch to the wedding vegetables might.

It's a very clever solution. It gives relative equality to each of the manufacturers, but puts the impetus on Ferrari and Renault (and Mercedes) to close the loophole that they found - Honda are free to develop so long as the other manufacturers keep their development open. The sooner Ferrari and Renault work on their engine, the less work Honda will be able to do. No doubt Ferrari and Renault will have planned out engine upgrades throughout the season, but they won't like giving Honda a lifeline.

Oh well, there are no such things as outright victories in F1. So yes while this is a small victory for Honda, they only won a skirmish in the grand scheme. Which is on the same level as Ferrari and Renault winning a small skirmish by getting the freeze slightly reversed though not full on as they wanted.

Oh well, there are no such things as outright victories in F1.
Not according to Sergio Marchionne, who portrayed the loophole as a major victory for the team. He's clearly squaring up as an opponent of the FIA and resorting to the tried-and-true tactics of outright bullying to get his way. Part of me wonders if the FIA dragged their feet a little to send him a message.

Not according to Sergio Marchionne, who portrayed the loophole as a major victory for the team. He's clearly squaring up as an opponent of the FIA and resorting to the tried-and-true tactics of outright bullying to get his way. Part of me wonders if the FIA dragged their feet a little to send him a message.
Nah I saw it, but didn't give it thought to this cause it's once again Ferrari being Ferrari. As in "we'll win the political game and then use it to our advantage when engineering our cars", rather than just stop the political BS and do what made them fast at one point (actually building quality F1 cars) they rather hold everyone else back and prove those they got rid of last year and the year before right on how Ferrari truly operates like a group of rodeo clowns.

I think the FIA did drag their feet, but my idea still stands Ferrari and Renault got a victory out of the ability to no longer have a true engine freeze and use the loop hole to their content. Same goes for Honda having what could be argued a bigger victory (don't see how since they don't have droves of test bed knowledge just a winning design to copy). Either way everyone is still playing second fiddle to Mercedes who aren't just idle in this and funny enough I can't find anything from their camp on all this which leads me to believe this is only working out to their benefit.

I think big fat tyres at the rear would look great but that wouldn't make the cars slide more now would it!

There was interview with Gordon Murray a couple of years back in Motorsport magazine and he outlined some good points about how to make F1 exciting again: basically boiling down to smaller wings and ground effect back and narrower tyres to increase top speed and decrease mechanical grip and the dirty air effect. Would make for really exciting racing!

Then again, big fat tyres would look great...

I think big fat tyres at the rear would look great but that wouldn't make the cars slide more now would it!

There was interview with Gordon Murray a couple of years back in Motorsport magazine and he outlined some good points about how to make F1 exciting again: basically boiling down to smaller wings and ground effect back and narrower tyres to increase top speed and decrease mechanical grip and the dirty air effect. Would make for really exciting racing!

Then again, big fat tyres would look great...

The exact stuff that I've been wanting and saying the FIA were planning to roll out before they said..."nah let's try making planks that produce moar sparks!!!!"

The exact stuff that I've been wanting and saying the FIA were planning to roll out before they said..."nah let's try making planks that produce moar sparks!!!!"
Don't blame the FIA. Blame the teams - they won't sacrifice any downforce, and the more the FIA wants to cut, the harder the teams will fight. The teams are the ones with the power to produce better, closer racing, but they're unwilling to risk losing their existing position.

Don't blame the FIA. Blame the teams - they won't sacrifice any downforce, and the more the FIA wants to cut, the harder the teams will fight.

You do have a point, but then again regulations and others thing seem to make it by that would hurt teams overall aero efficiency and no one is leaving due to that. (the current nose regulations compared to what teams rather have, 2013 spec noses)

Last edited:
They do just enough to play nicely with the FIA, but push them on anything they think will cost them, and they will do what Ferrari and Renault have done - fight back.

Oh and Renault claim they'll close the power gap on Mercedes by some margin.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.co...ere-aiming-for-at-least-five-f1-wins-in-2015/

Sadly that's if they go by 2014 figures. Mercedes are said to have the spec 15 engine ready (which we knew end of last season) but more importantly this tid bid.

“Omnicorse claims that Mercedes’ 2015 engine will be significantly different this year, including a new Bosch injection system capable of turbo pressure to the regulations-maximum of 500 bar.

The report claimed Mercedes’ 2014 turbo was limited to little more than half that figure.”

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/196639-mercedes-amg-f1-w06-hybrid/

10828074_861566757227155_2175810451897848477_o.jpg

Though this is all earlier in the month info (apart from Renault claims) I had been saving for the OP but didn't get around to doing it.

Back