2015 F1 Mechanics/Aero; Design predictions to win the WCC/WDC. READ FIRST POST

The most telling shot of the McLaren "size zero" bum:

butt1.jpg

Meanwhile, Sauber and Lotus have joined Toro Rosso in unusual airbox configurations:

nasr-4.jpg

nasr-9.jpg

It looks like the solution is to save space in the sidepods by redirecting air for oil and water cooling so that it comes from the airbox.

The most telling shot of the McLaren "size zero" bum:

butt1.jpg

Meanwhile, Sauber and Lotus have joined Toro Rosso in unusual airbox configurations:

nasr-4.jpg

nasr-9.jpg

It looks like the solution is to save space in the sidepods by redirecting air for oil and water cooling so that it comes from the airbox.
Lotus was the first one to show the strange airbox though, and the Sauber solution looks ore reasonable the side inlets are just stretched more than what we were use to seeing from last year with the same positioned inlets.

As for McLaren that has been one of the key points of the test is how mall it is at the rear compared to others as if the engine is almost not there. Supposedly Ron calls it a Jewel of a set up. Let's see if it actually gets up to speed on Day 4 if not we will have to wait for Barcelona.

So I'll just leave this here, though I agree with what autosport says in the end that you can't fully be sure, there is one thing you can be sure of... All three teams running Merc power aren't on the same plan or time table, nor did they try and do what the mother team did. So from a technical stand point, this is a bit telling considering three teams with different goals all came with in the same trap speed of each other with the same power unit.

Thus like many are hoping the one saving grace may very well be Williams and not that of the last Newey machine or what Allison cooked up at Ferrari. The only other car is the dark horse at the moment with the Japanese engine in it. Time will tell.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117633

Further details of the proposed regulation revolution, including wider bodies and lower rear wings - think 1997-style - to go with the wider rear tyres and 1000bhp engines:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31454550

that's fine we all want the 70s, 80s and 90s F1 to be meshed into the current era of hybrid technology. It would actually make the series more interesting in a technological and racing way, instead of you know...gimmicks.

Still hoping for the FIA to announce the return of ground effects (which were initially part of the 2014 regulation changes). That, along with smaller wings and more powerful hybrid power unit would be my ideal modern F1.

Still hoping for the FIA to announce the return of ground effects (which were initially part of the 2014 regulation changes). That, along with smaller wings and more powerful hybrid power unit would be my ideal modern F1.

Well the rear wing could be changed to that of what was last seen in 08 so...there is that. I agree with you though but they don't listen to us people. Anyways for everyone, I have (as of Monday 2/16/2015) updated the First post with useful info that will help people understand the rule changes this season.

Ferrari unveil a radical concept for what the future could hold:

B-CT1OeIYAA7DiR.jpg

ferrari-f1-future-2.jpg

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117711/ferrari-reveals-f1-future-concept

Although it seems that this is not a serious proposal, but rather a demonstration of how the rules could be overhauled with a little bit of lateral thinking.

It's a little extreme, but I think that if the FIA want to get serious about cost cutting, then they need to open the regulations up. It will give smaller teams the latitude to develop something competitive without having to throw money at refining a limited design.

Last edited:
That Ferrari concept driver's helmet looks ridiculous.

Logical to me, considering how every other surface is finely tuned to perfectly work and direct the air. Meanwhile, the drivers head is free to buffer about and spill air in all kinds of directions...

What would look ridiculous (at first) would be seeing a driver wearing his helmet whilst outside of the car...

B-CT1OeIYAA7DiR.jpg

ferrari-f1-future-2.jpg

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117711/ferrari-reveals-f1-future-concept

Although it seems that this is not a serious proposal, but rather a demonstration of how the rules could be overhauled with a little bit of lateral thinking.

It's a little extreme, but I think that if the FIA want to get serious about cost cutting, then they need to open the regulations up. It will give smaller teams the latitude to develop something competitive without having to throw money at refining a limited design.

If all F1 cars looked like that, I might actually watch F1 again.

B-CT1OeIYAA7DiR.jpg

ferrari-f1-future-2.jpg

After seeing these images, I don't wanna look back at the current F1 car anymore..

Guess that was Jonathan Noble's last Autosport article since he just announced on his twitter account that he's moving to motorsport.com.

Not sure why he'd want to do that though...

Surprise surprise 2016 revolution got shot down...which isn't all that surprise.
It's the right move. Deferring until 2017 gives everyone an extra year to actually figure out what the sport should be, and implementing a solid foundation for the rules. Rushing for a 2016 introduction could easily end in disaster.

It's the right move. Deferring until 2017 gives everyone an extra year to actually figure out what the sport should be, and implementing a solid foundation for the rules. Rushing for a 2016 introduction could easily end in disaster.

Never said it wasn't the right or wrong move, I said it wasn't a surprise. And really I didn't expect to see it happen in the time table promoted. Especially considering that Active suspension isn't that far away if it actually does happen as it was suggested for 2017.

I just find it the norm to see these things hyped up to get people excited and churn up more fans (especially during a drop off in fan base) and then tell them, wait a little longer. I'm fine with it but the reality is many that wanted it and thought it would come aren't going to be fine. That's the point.

Yeah I think I like the new STR, do you know if the wing has been crash tested and is approved yet?
Carlos-Sainz-Jnr-Toro-Rosso-2015-F1-testing-Barcelona-41.jpg

Testing rear wing too
Carlos-Sainz-Jnr-Toro-Rosso-2015-F1-testing-Barcelona-p.jpg

Last edited:
Cars have to pass the crash tests before taking part in pre-season test sessions. It's why it is expected some teams have been conservative in approach initially, then at least they definitely have something to test with even if the aggressive designs fail the crash tests initially.

Cars have to pass the crash tests before taking part in pre-season test sessions. It's why it is expected some teams have been conservative in approach initially, then at least they definitely have something to test with even if the aggressive designs fail the crash tests initially.

Yes I know that, but when you make significant changes that effect vital area of crash structure you must get them retested. For instance last year at this time Merc had several front nose/wing configurations that had to be structure tested for crashes. The main one they wanted to use couldn't be used because it failed. My question is, have STR done this or are they evaluating for now and then planning to get it test prior to Melbourne. Sainz makes it sound as if this is a done deal but I haven't found anything say yes or no. What you're talking about is a different matter and confusing what I've asked @MHPALA

Back