2015 F1 Mechanics/Aero; Design predictions to win the WCC/WDC. READ FIRST POST

Ferrari has said no new-spec engine for Red Bull, Mercedes closed the door on them. And Mateschitz seems too proud to come crawling back to Renault for an engine. Looks like Mateschitz's personal pride might be the end of Red Bull Racing. What a pillock...

It's said that the only way to leave F1 with a small fortune is to start with a large one, Mateschitz spends the money for the Red Bull exposure more than for any particular love of F1 - or so it seems. If he wants to walk away he'll save some money on something that had started to piss him off, that's all he'll see.

Looks like qualifying tires are making a comeback.
They're not qualifying tyres. The teams asked Pirelli to introduce more variety into their line-up, especially since the current proposal for 2016 is for Pirelli to supply three compounds for each race: a prime that everyone must used, and two options that the teams must choose one from.

They're not qualifying tyres. The teams asked Pirelli to introduce more variety into their line-up, especially since the current proposal for 2016 is for Pirelli to supply three compounds for each race: a prime that everyone must used, and two options that the teams must choose one from.
Would they be allowed to use all 3 compounds if they wanted to? Either throughout the course of the weekend, or even all 3 in the race. Not sure why you'd want to do use all 3 in a race, I'm just wondering for curiousity sake.

Would they be allowed to use all 3 compounds if they wanted to? Either throughout the course of the weekend, or even all 3 in the race. Not sure why you'd want to do use all 3 in a race, I'm just wondering for curiousity sake.

The article on that is in the thread about five pages back or so and I think you can find it in the drivers thread too. Basically as PM said, Pirelli give more freedom to teams on picking two option tires they can use but Pirelli has parameters on what exactly those options are.

Last edited:
Not really sure, but I believe that they would be given the chance to run all three compounds during practice - but once qualifying begins, they would need to have made a final decision on the options.

I no idea as to the reputation of this site
thejudge13 started out as a poster on F1 Fanatic. He made some rather spurious claims and tried to set himself up as a source at a time when the site went through a boom phase. Either he got fed up with nobody taking him seriously, or Keith Collantine lost patience with him trying to piggyback off the popularly of the blog, and booted him. I'm betting on the latter, since Collantine also cleaned out a few users - myself included - who held radically unpopular opinions (in my case, Kimi Räikkönen isn't a bona fide legend of the sport).

So the long and short of is to take what he says with a large grain of salt? Either way, BBC are reporting it as gossip, and news.com.au (more or less a news aggregator, despite what they might claim) are reporting it as fact.

I no idea as to the reputation of this site, but they claim that Red Bull will be using the current spec Renault ICE (the one they have not used yet) with their own development from there.
http://thejudge13.com/2015/11/05/exclusive-red-bull-secure-an-engine-for-2016/

On one hand it's plausible, Red Bull simply buy an engine, lock stock and barrel.

On the other... it's an engine that probably still wouldn't have been so competitive had they run it, in Australia 2016 it's going to be up against the 2016 spec Honda, Mercedes and Ferrari engines. Can they do 2016 dev on that ICE in time? What does that mean for the works-Renault-engine runners who are also presumably developing from that same standpoint?

Sounds a bit "iffy" to me, but Murray Walker did often remind us that F1 is IF backwards...

So the long and short of is to take what he says with a large grain of salt?
Unless a more reliable source runs it first. Otherwise, it's hearsay and amateur analysis masquerading as fact. I don't think that they have ever broken a story - but it doesn't stop them ftom trying (a little bit too hard).

Unless a more reliable source runs it first. Otherwise, it's hearsay and amateur analysis masquerading as fact. I don't think that they have ever broken a story - but it doesn't stop them ftom trying (a little bit too hard).

I noticed just now that the BBC are running it in their daily "F1 Gossip" feature, some of the things in there turn out to be true... in this case I think the Beeb (and others) would be running it as a main F1 story if they found it credible or the sources stacked up.

I noticed just now that the BBC are running it in their daily "F1 Gossip" feature, some of the things in there turn out to be true... in this case I think the Beeb (and others) would be running it as a main F1 story if they found it credible or the sources stacked up.
I see that as 'We acknowledge that someone said this, but we don't believe it'

A mostly-moronic article from the Beeb about Honda's dev plans for next year. Beeb.

It does have this cool picture in though, not sure if it's engines or some Terminators.

_86553749_lucianaengines_honda5.jpg

Not sure how reliable this source is but it's basically the same story that @Barra333 posted

http://www.f1today.net/en/news/206498/illien-plays-down-his-role-in-upgraded-Renault

Sky picking up a similar story.

They quote Auto Motors und Sport;

Contrary to Thursday's report on the Judge 13 website that Renault's long-awaited upgrade - which is finally scheduled to appear at next week's Brazilian GP - has been developed in conjunction with Mario Illien, AMuS have the Ilmor engine guru quoted as saying that the 11 tokens spent are entirely the work of the French manufacturer.

Moreover, Illien has also denied that he and Red Bull will run their own development programme on Renault's engine in 2016 - save for the ERS, which the former world champions have two years' worth of expertise developing anyway. Rather, they could run the same engine but without Renault branding.

Illien is reportedly interested, however, in developing the new low-cost engine that the FIA wants to introduce in 2017 - and which Red Bull support - after Ferrari vetoed plans for a €12m price cap on manufacturer hybrids.

Renault are expected to announce take-over of Lotus at Abu Dhabi:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/...habi-as-mario-illien-denies-red-bull-rumours/

Speculation suggests that they could keep the Lotus name to get their prize money and write 2016 off as a transitional year, which would explain their dire driver choices, but Renault aren't a backmarker team struggling to keep their head above water; they're a global manufacturer with a significant position in the sport. I can't imagine that owning a team under another name will do them any favours.

It seems to be a rework of the Renault-engines-with-different-badges story for the most part, credible though. Interesting that Renault are no longer (effectively) paying RB to put the engine in the car, I guess they were able to be pretty tough at the negotiating table knowing that RB had very slim pickings elsewhere.

Just heard that the big boss of Renault isn't a motorsports fan, and due to some strange financial mishaps surrounding his person, the Lotus - Renault deal still isn't completed. Furthermore, even the Renault engines are being debated if that program still has a future.

Seeing that the rumours of Torro Rosso using 2015 Ferrari engines are getting louder and louder, how much difference/disadvantage will there be with having an older spec engine?

Seeing that the rumours of Torro Rosso using 2015 Ferrari engines are getting louder and louder, how much difference/disadvantage will there be with having an older spec engine?

Depends on how much better the 2016 spec is, I posted details and an image that shows the differences in the end

Dave Ryan - who was Lewis Hamilton's engineer in 2009 when Hamilton was caught lying to the stewards about passing Trulli under yellows in Melbourne - has joined Manor as sporting director. The team is said to be trying to coax Alex Wurz into the team principal role.

Back