2015 Formula 1 Gran Premio De Mexico

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 594 comments
Lewis' mistake was actually listening to the pit garage and taking that extra stop. :D

-

It wasn't the wrong call, necessarily. Hemming a bit and taking those tires a bit later gave him the opportunity at an overtake late in the race. Lewis just couldn't keep it together enough to make an attempt.

But just imagine, if Lewis had managed to keep Nico at bay on that safety restart... how Nico would feel about Lewis ignoring the team calls to pit.
In that hypothetical scenario, Rosberg would have been mightly pee'd off. But frankly Hamilton would behave in the exact same way. As much as their fans like to pretend otherwise they're really no better than one another, in that sense.

Well anyway a rather 'standard' 2015 race overall, a little better after the safety car but nothing too exciting.

6/10.

In that hypothetical scenario, Rosberg would have been mightly pee'd off. But frankly Hamilton would behave in the exact same way. As much as their fans like to pretend otherwise they're really no better than one another, in that sense.

Oh, hell yes. I doubt we will hear the end of the pit issue from Lewis... unless, for some strange reason, he actually admits that putting on fresh tires gave him a chance near the end.

Lewis being a bit magnanimous there... he can afford to be, having sewn up the championship. :lol:

-

So sad: Podium interview means no more cutting to the Willaims ladies. Come on... show them again!

EDIT: Two Merc drivers and two Williams drivers up on the podium. Only in Mexico.

Was a pretty good race but nothing special, but a fairly solid first race back in Mexico...

I think people have been too harsh on the track. Overtakes don't make a race exciting, it's the possibility of competition... which is just something F1 naturally lacks in its current state. Multiple front-end challengers retiring didn't help either. I also love the layout, I genuinely don't see any issues with it.

I'd also like to note that the constant Maldonado bashing can't get any more stale. He's had a handful of concentration lapses in the past, that's about it. I can point you to much worse, far less able drivers that have recently graced Formula 1.

I didn't think it would turn out to be one of the most boring tracks on the calendar with that straight. The sooner we get to 2017 the better.

I thought the new track would be no good, but honestly I think it's not too bad. The crowd has done more than their fair share and the stadium might just be a good enough replacement for the Peraltada. Long may this particular grand prix continue.

I must admit after his Austin antics I'd lost a lot of faith in Rosberg, but he was near-faultless today. Now if he can keep this form up for the final two races, and carry it into 2016, he might have a proper shot at the title. Although up against Hamilton it will always be a long shot.

Screen Shot 2015-11-01 at 4.13.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-11-01 at 4.19.07 PM.png

The Italian papers as of now :lol:

I must admit after his Austin antics I'd lost a lot of faith in Rosberg, but he was near-faultless today. Now if he can keep this form up for the final two races, and carry it into 2016, he might have a proper shot at the title. Although up against Hamilton it will always be a long shot.

Rosberg seem to be at his best when he can keep Hamilton at an arms length, like today. What he needs to work on is keeping his composure when Hamilton get alongside him. He either gets to passive and lets Hamilton bully him around, or gets flustered and makes these at times weird mistakes.

What's impressive with Nico's performance is that this is a totally new track. Which means that track familiarity has nothing to do with the results. Nico worked harder to get up to speed on the track... he did his laps... he put his head down and he gritted his teeth and beat Lewis fair and square.

I can imagine the bumpy surface was a handicap for late brakers like Hamilton and Vettel... Sky commentators were suggesting a car problem for Vettel, but we've been seeing cars simply losing it all weekend... at some point, the drivers should have memorized where they coud and couldn't push it under braking... so Vettel's self-criticism there over the radio seems a realistic assessment of what happened to him today.

Quite agree with @hsv - it's not always the overtakes that make a race... this is a tricky, slippery track, and watching the drivers wrestle with it was interesting. Also, the way the crowd cheered whenever Checo passed through the grandstands... and the way they went wild when he overtook in that area... was brilliant. I know this has been said here, but they should have grandstands sandwiching EVERY CORNER.

EDIT: Also, good day for celebrity spotting. While all eyes were on the Money(Penny), Mystico at the Torro Rosso garage has got to take the cake.

What's impressive with Nico's performance is that this is a totally new track. Which means that track familiarity has nothing to do with the results. Nico worked harder to get up to speed on the track... he did his laps... he put his head down and he gritted his teeth and beat Lewis fair and square.

I can imagine the bumpy surface was a handicap for late brakers like Hamilton and Vettel... Sky commentators were suggesting a car problem for Vettel, but we've been seeing cars simply losing it all weekend... at some point, the drivers should have memorized where they coud and couldn't push it under braking... so Vettel's self-criticism there over the radio seems a realistic assessment of what happened to him today.

Quite agree with @hsv - it's not always the overtakes that make a race... this is a tricky, slippery track, and watching the drivers wrestle with it was interesting. Also, the way the crowd cheered whenever Checo passed through the grandstands... and the way they went wild when he overtook in that area... was brilliant. I know this has been said here, but they should have grandstands sandwiching EVERY CORNER.
I think if it was an easier track to follow Hamilton would have caught up and passed him, Rosberg tends to get his wins at places like Austria and Brazil but on the wide GP tracks Hamilton seems to filter his way to the front with better race pace.

I think Vettel's off helped there.

Seeing how slippery the track was, rain wasn't needed to make the race. Maybe a different selection of tires would have helped, though... Bottas overtaking Kyvat on tires that were older than Verstappen shows us that...

I think if it was an easier track to follow Hamilton would have caught up and passed him, Rosberg tends to get his wins at places like Austria and Brazil but on the wide GP tracks Hamilton seems to filter his way to the front with better race pace.

Hamilton's opportunistic dives rely on his ability to outbrake Rosberg. He will be tearing in, braking later, apexing earlier and punching out quicker. This requires a smooth, grippy track. Otherwise it won't work.

I think Nico's more measured approach works better on a track like this. He didn't seem to suffer as many "oops" moments as Lewis, and the one time he did, Lewis had his own off... so no advantage gained. Lewis would get those two or three laps where he nails it, catching up Nico, then he'd slip up somewhere on the next one, losing a big chunk of time in one go.

Back