2015 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter GTPorsche
  • 478 comments
If you race in a top tier level of racing for years, you don't just stop racing cold turkey. A lot of drivers stay racing well into their fifties. They just move somewhere else. Jenson would still be racing.

Yeah but it's Hamilton.

Rules have a funny way of changing when Hamilton is involved with some people.
The thing Rosberg should have kept his line staying on track but went offtrack to avoid contact. I think he did it on purpose, since the team would blame him even if it was Lewis fault.

After Spa 2014 it's no longer the same driver. I suspect MB requested him to become a second driver and NO longer battle Lewis or leave the team.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Hamilton's move... if you're on the outside and behind past the apex you should expect to get run out, that's the way it's always worked.

Still don't get how that's not understood. It might not be nice, (in fact, it's downright rude) but it's completely legal in F1. Hell, even Rosberg does it from time to time.

-

In the meantime, Danny Pedrossa ran Valentino Rossi clear off track in today's MotoGP, defending his second place in the last few laps, with Rossi's front tire just inches behind his front end, as Valentino was coming along the outside of the turn... after a glorious multi-lap battle where they passed and repassed each other a number of times.

Nobody complained.

Rossi came up to hug Pedrossa as they came in to Parc Ferme.

Twitter is alight after the race.

Why can't all racing be like that?

Regarding the Hamilton-Rosberg incident. As I see it, Rosberg was ahead entering the corner (at the turn in point), Hamilton draws level at the apex, but only by carrying too much speed into the corner to go 2 wide, understeers wide and forces Rosberg into a situation where he either hits Hamilton or drives off of the track in avoidance.

It was certainly unsporting, but probably perfectly legal within the slightly warped view (my opinion, in case anyone didn't get that) of F1's sporting regulations.

It was certainly unsporting, but probably perfectly legal within the slightly warped view (my opinion, in case anyone didn't get that) of F1's sporting regulations.

Nothing to do with F1... it's the same in any form of Motorsport from Karting up.

Unless the driver on the outside has got a better exit and is fully alongside, he's going to get run out.

Regarding the Hamilton-Rosberg incident. As I see it, Rosberg was ahead entering the corner (at the turn in point), Hamilton draws level at the apex, but only by carrying too much speed into the corner to go 2 wide, understeers wide and forces Rosberg into a situation where he either hits Hamilton or drives off of the track in avoidance.

Hamilton wasn't carrying too much speed. He simply boxed Nico out, on purpose, as he had control of the corner by that second apex.

Hamilton wasn't carrying too much speed. He simply boxed Nico out, on purpose, as he had control of the corner by that second apex.

Then he must have been telling a white lie to Sky, because when they interviewed him he claimed he went wide at the exit because of understeer.

Nothing to do with F1... it's the same in any form of Motorsport from Karting up.

Unless the driver on the outside has got a better exit and is fully alongside, he's going to get run out.

Sorry, *FIA Sporting Regulations.

At the Apex of the corner they were practically side-by-side, Hamilton was maybe marginally ahead. You can see on the onboard that he carries too much speed as he can't open the throttle significantly until he's practically straight. Whether he did it on purpose or not I would still see that as unsporting. Again, in my opinion, being ahead enough to box someone out shouldn't be just having your nose, or less, in front.

Under the FIA regulations it was perfectly legal, though had Rosberg not managed to regain 2nd place I think Mercedes might have had a quiet word with him.

Good win by Lewis, to extend his lead as well and good recovery by Rosberg. As well as Ferrari for beating a Williams team that probably could have beat them if their drivers didn't make mistakes along with the team.

Fair? In what way? Sure, it might have been a legitimate move according to the rules, but it was a cheap thing to do and it was far from being "fair".

What was cheap about it? because there team mates? No it wasn't cheap at all.

And some fans and drivers think the ends justify the means, and are mistaking ruthlessness for a virtue. Because do you know who else is not scared of taking chances? Pastor Maldonado.

The difference between Maldonado and Hamilton is. Hamilton thinks before hand. ruthlessness means hes a tough and not scared of backing off from chances, there for gaining virtue.

I can't believe all the nonsense going on in this thread...

Why do so many people who either love or hate a driver let it distort their opinion of the racing.

Did Nico complain? Did anyone in the team complain? Did any other driver say it was out of order? Did the STEWARDS have a problem with it?

NO

Was it agressive?

Yes

Was it unsporting, unfair, against the rules, sneaky, dangerous, rude or anything any other driver in the same position wouldn't have done?

NO

Was it RACING???

Yes!!!

It would have been more impressive if they managed to continue on without one of them having been run off track to avoid the other thinking they had all the room in the world and no car next to them.

Ron confirmed that Jenson still has a contract for next year and neither do I believe that he's retiring. Can't be that he's leaving after just a single bad season, can he?

To be honest I think he would, but it would be more to do with Honda just being back than the team performing bad, Since they just dropped the team before the 2009 season and left Button and Barrichello in a right mess.

If it was me, I would be waiting for Honda to do it again.

I don't know why you Hamilton fans complain about that Hamilton haters every week. You guys outnumber the haters like 4:1.

I'm one of those that can't stand Lewis in the slightest, but what he did at the start was perfectly legal, and happens across the board in motorsports under the name of "crowding". And who of the motorsports pool crowds competitors to gain a position? Namely, winners. I can't think of a driver at all that doesn't do it, and if there are some that don't, then they don't win a lot at all. Can we please put to rest the whole start thing and focus on the more important issues, like Lotus F1 going before a judge over backpayments and Haas F1 announcing their lineup for next year? Please and thank you.

I'm one of those that can't stand Lewis in the slightest, but what he did at the start was perfectly legal, and happens across the board in motorsports under the name of "crowding". And who of the motorsports pool crowds competitors to gain a position? Namely, winners. I can't think of a driver at all that doesn't do it, and if there are some that don't, then they don't win a lot at all. Can we please put to rest the whole start thing and focus on the more important issues, like Lotus F1 going before a judge over backpayments and Haas F1 announcing their lineup for next year? Please and thank you.
But none of that has to do with the 2015 Japanese GP...

Anyways, I know I'm late to the party, just watched the race this morning. A few exciting moments, but overall a rather calm race.

Regarding Hamilton vs Rosberg, the move was completely legal IMO. Lewis was on the racing line at the apex, and thus controlled the corner. In order to warrant Lewis leaving space, Nico would have needed to keep his front wheels at least even with Lewis's through the apex. Nico was close, but not close enough, therefore Lewis had every right to close the door. I don't think there's any rule in F1 which says you must leave room on corner exit...that's gentleman's rules. Watching the replay, I think Nico screwed up by leaving to door open after T1. He was fully ahead at that point, but left space on the inside for Lewis to move into. Nico should have turned in and cut Lewis off.

Other than that, it Max was entertaining like usual. Good recovery drive from him. I was also happy to see Lotus do well.

I feel so bad for Alonso and Button :(. The future of Honda in racing is full of question marks right now. Coming off poor seasons across the board, this is the icing on the cake. Will Honda bounce back in 2016? Will they cut some of their programs in order to boost others? They've become the butt end of a lot of jokes in motorsports, and I doubt that sits well with upper management.

I can't believe all the nonsense going on in this thread...

Why do so many people who either love or hate a driver let it distort their opinion of the racing.

Did Nico complain? Did anyone in the team complain? Did any other driver say it was out of order? Did the STEWARDS have a problem with it?

NO

Was it agressive?

Yes

Was it unsporting, unfair, against the rules, sneaky, dangerous, rude or anything any other driver in the same position wouldn't have done?

NO

Was it RACING???

Yes!!!

Cause they're not racing fans in the purest of sense, they're (those types) going to -from my experience- always look at it from the perspective of how they feel about driver A or B in the situation.

I don't know why you Hamilton fans complain about that Hamilton haters every week. You guys outnumber the haters like 4:1.

Did you do the census yourself?

@GTP_Ingram In relation to your video, I like Vettel's attitude this year myself as opposed to other years because he seems like he's having more fun. He jokes more and does it nearly any time he finishes on the podium with a red car, and it just livens up the post race. I feel bad for him that he had an awkward moment where he made a joke and was left hanging, but the reactions made it all the better really.

Last edited:
On Alonso's 'vocal' radio call, I bet he's not gonna be much popular around Japan neither facing the bosses from Honda.
Teams traditionally don't like drivers criticising the car. When Vitaly Petrov was dropped by Lotus, there was talk that his public criticism played a big part in his decision. But at the same time, there comes a point where a driver needs to speak up. Honda knew that the engine was down on power, but their fix only revealed bigger problems - that the battery is inefficient and they lose 160bhp halfway through a lap. Honda apparently haven't done anything about it; Yasuhisa Arai alternates between claiming that the engine has as much power as Ferrari or at least more power than Renault, and claiming that the "size zero" approach asked by McLaren compromised the design.

Honda's top brass were at Suzuka, but it wasn't their first appearance this year - they were also in Austria. Despite a major upgrade touted as fixing serious problems with the engine, here we are four months later with no visible, much less meaningful, progress to speak of. That's what the top brass are going to see, and Alonso's comments were probably intended for them to highlight the situation because if McLaren and Honda are going to improve, they're going to need an intervention from the senior management of Honda.

Why can't all racing be like that?
Probably because Formula 1 is so much more partisan. Look at the way Valentino Rossi is received by the fans compared to Lewis Hamilton. Rossi is almost universally popular, to the point where the cheers of the Spanish crowd drown out the bikes when Rossi passes a Spanish rider (though they did cheer just as loudly when Pedrosa struck back). Hamilton, on the other hand, doesn't have that popularity - he's completely polarising.

As someone who vehemently does not like Hamilton, I can tell you that it has nothing to do with his talent. He's probably one of the most naturally-talented drivers the sport has ever seen. I don't like him because of his attitude. I don't like him because at every race, there is an almost exclusive focus on Hamilton. Look at Ted Kravitz on the grid yesterday, talking about Rosberg's headache - he immediately made the connection to Hamilton's start and insinuated that Rosberg was seriously compromised by it. And to be blunt, I think that the attitude of some of his fans stinks: they can't accept any criticism of him, and attack anyone who does criticise him, but they freely dish out their own criticism of other drivers. Unlike MotoGP, it's an attitude of partisanship that has created the situation. If you listen to the MotoGP commentary, they don't take sides - but they do in Formula 1. Sky's introduction video is openly prejudicial, casting Rosberg as the villain of the grid.

I've always maintained that there is so much more to a driver than their talent. We want to see them as superhuman, but we also want to see them as approachable. My personal yardstick is "could I have a beer with this driver and not talk about motorsport?" (and Jenson Button tops that list). We idolise the drivers, and a big part of that is shaped by what we value - those traits or qualities that we consider to be worthy of respect or admiration. When Valentino Rossi finishes second, he congratulates the winner. When Lewis Hamilton finishes second, he sulks. Disappointment is understandable and maybe even to be expected, but when Daniel Riccardo finishes third and smiles so broadly that you can see all eighty-four of his teeth, sulking makes you look like a sore loser. It's like James Magnussen (no relation to Kevin) scowling on the podium after finishing second at the London Olympics while the guy in third goes ballistic.

EDIT: Thanks for the merge. I was going to copy-paste into the original post, but forgot.

Last edited:
Back