2015 General WEC/ELMS/AsLMS Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 3,710 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
A user on autosport's forums who goes by the handle of "Austinf1" has said Nissan was at cota sometime in the past week or two for filming.

A user on autosport's forums who goes by the handle of "Austinf1" has said Nissan was at cota sometime in the past week or two for filming.
Wouldn't surprise me. They left here on the 10th, probably headed to Sebring and made a stop at COTA along the way.

Le Mans is part of the WEC, so i'll leave it here:

According to DSC sources, up to 30 LMP2 cars are trying to enter Le Mans next year. Couple that with at least 13 LMP1 cars, and that is 44 potential entries already without even counting GTE. Granted however the 32 WEC cars will get an automatic invite, but it will make competition for that even more intense.

EDIT: Confirmation http://sportscar365.com/lemans/lemans24/70-projected-entry-requests-for-lm24/

Last edited:
The Pilbeam MP100 finally got some track time.
http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/it...ts-cars-for-2015-part-3-lmp2?showall=&start=2
Pilbeam-MP100.jpg

Wow, been a while since I've heard about anything from Pilbeam. Sorta missed them, they were never the fastest but they were just one of those quirky cars that you just had to see.

Wow, been a while since I've heard about anything from Pilbeam. Sorta missed them, they were never the fastest but they were just one of those quirky cars that you just had to see.
Reminds me of that old Riley prototype back in the late 90's with that aggressive front end. The program was supposed to return in 2013, but was delayed. Could possibly return this year.

This just in, the IMS is open to holding a race by the WEC in 2016. The WEC is looking to add to its presence in North America, and they're thinking of holding a second American event:
http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/112026-indianapolis-open-to-2016-date

Last edited:
Might this have something to do with the wec's press conference in Detroit...

Could be. Still unsure but I do like the idea that they would like to have the sportscars there as their own standalone event rather then a companion NASCAR event.

Could be. Still unsure but I do like the idea that they would like to have the sportscars there as their own standalone event rather then a companion NASCAR event.
PWC link up for support? 💡

I mean unsure as in I don't know if it'll be what fans want. As far as I can tell, there always is the opinion that Indy is boring and terrible.

As for PWC, I think right now its too big to be just a sideshow event anymore.

Indianapolis sucks. Elkhart Lake is a much better track. Not that they should go there either. If they had a second race in America then it should be either Canada or Mexico - not in the US.

Indianapolis sucks. Elkhart Lake is a much better track. Not that they should go there either. If they had a second race in America then it should be either Canada or Mexico - not in the US.

I'd love to see to the WEC go to the 'Glen, relive the days when the WSC went there.

Just interested, how much would it likely cost for a major manufacturer to develop an LMP2 engine, stick it into, say, one of the Ligiers or something, and then provide one of the existing teams with support to run it as a factory branded "works" car? Give them good backing to get the best drivers they can and whatever, and they might just have a chance.

I'm surprised I haven't seen more of them do this.

Just interested, how much would it likely cost for a major manufacturer to develop an LMP2 engine, stick it into, say, one of the Ligiers or something, and then provide one of the existing teams with support to run it as a factory branded "works" car? Give them good backing to get the best drivers they can and whatever, and they might just have a chance.

Works teams aren't allowed in LMP2?

Not allowed..

"LE MANS" PROTOTYPE 2 ("LM" P2) is a racing car with no
production minimum required.

Open or closed (*) car, destined only to teams independent
of manufacturers and/or engine suppliers.

The cars that may be considered as "factory cars", whose
technical characteristics and level of development are clearly
not complying with the objectives of the LMP2 regulations
may be refused by the Endurance Committee.

edit: tree'd

I was aware works cars aren't allowed, but I'm still surprised I haven't seen more manufacturers give the sort of backing Nissan give to some of their teams and then brand it as a psuedo-works effort, if only from a pure marketing perspective.

I think that's with a huge caveat...since I don't think they can use that much energy per lap basing on the fuel flow and max consumption allowed. But I think its saying the total system can output that much. Not sure if thats possible though. Toyota is supposed to make 1000, but they aren't using that much power on the car most of the time.

I was aware works cars aren't allowed, but I'm still surprised I haven't seen more manufacturers give the sort of backing Nissan give to some of their teams and then brand it as a psuedo-works effort, if only from a pure marketing perspective.

No they don't. It's the best engine so everyone wants it. That's all it is.

If someone else made the best engine everyone would want that instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back