2015 GTP Endurance Series: General Discussion

• Thread starter AJ
  • 2,227 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe a bit too soon to be suggesting things but I'm wanting to push extremely hard to get this beautiful car into the Endurance Series next season!

View attachment 464974

Car: Subaru IMPREZA Touring Car (2012 Subaru Impreza WRX STi N24 S206 Challenge)

Proposed Class: TCN-1

We also just really need a proper Subaru!
That would be a great replacement to the CRZ!

I would like to campaign the lexus CCS-R for championship 2.0! :D (Even if I will be in a different class, I will be watching you my friend. R.I.P #93 :( ) :lol:

Sk8, I'm expecting an FIA awards night Gala style event where drivers and TM's are flown to a massive venue for a celebration of the season... wait I didn't win anything, I'm not invited nooooo.
I expect AJ to do some sort of award post or series of twitter announcements after all the championship things have wrapped up. Essentially don't go get banned between now and the awards ceremony!!

I've suggested to @AJ an event where we go to all the tracks we've raced at and take photos of the podium finishers for each race. He liked the idea. In addition, we could take photos of the podium championship finishers, perhaps even take a photo of the overall champion for each class in one shot and an overall championship standings shot for each class that includes all the cars.

Lined up on the grid would be cool, but I'm thinking diagonal parking would look better. Podium style shots (like below) might be cool as well. Though I only remember seeing that style of shot for an F1 race where they put signs up that indicate the finishing positions.

View attachment 281846
Photo credit to @Whitetail
Sorry for the NASCAR, but it's the only picture I have of that type of shot. (Don't know what terms to Google, all searches for race podium [and variations] come up with images of the drivers, not the cars.)

I've suggested to @AJ an event where we go to all the tracks we've raced at and take photos of the podium finishers for each race. He liked the idea. In addition, we could take photos of the podium championship finishers, perhaps even take a photo of the overall champion for each class in one shot and an overall championship standings shot for each class that includes all the cars.

Lined up on the grid would be cool, but I'm thinking diagonal parking would look better. Podium style shots (like below) might be cool as well. Though I only remember seeing that style of shot for an F1 race where they put signs up that indicate the finishing positions.

View attachment 281846
Sorry for the NASCAR, but it's the only picture I have of that type of shot. (Don't know what terms to Google, all searches for race podium [and variations] come up with images of the drivers, not the cars.)
this needs to happen. no joke. let's do this guys!!

2015 Week 37 Cake Days

The following Registered Drivers are celebrating their GTP Anniversary this week;

1 Year
@GTMXjjeli
@JmmL94

Peter_Sauber_68_Birthday_cake_1_kor11.jpg

As I've said before, that was a season I was not expecting!

When the new franchises came up StigsTC persuaded me to run a team for the Midweek Motorsport
Racers Collective and we chose to go for LMP3. Knowing we'd be against some tough competition,
we set ourselves an aim for 3rd in each race. Podium minimum seemed realistic at the time in the
Mazda LM55.

Being a British-based team (due to me but with a mainly Australian roster!) the opening round at
Silverstone was our home race. The 2nd place on the grid was a nice surprise, with Domma and
StigsTC putting in great laps. Domma started the race for us and drove well, followed by a quick
driver swap for my stint in the car. My first drive in the GTP Endurance Series was largely uneventful,
but no extra time in the pits or off the track is how I drive. It was then over to StigsTC to take us to the
finish, putting in some more great laps. The Inferno and Turtle Racing League cars were both
extremely strong but we managed to take the win, with a GT4 running into the Inferno car indirectly
helping us. I had to leave 5 minutes before the end of the race, making it a nervous time until I found
out, even though I was confident in the ability of the team to bring the car home. First race, first win,
first realisation that we should be aiming for more than 3rd.

The next races on the calendar for us were the 6 hours of Spa and Nurburgring, having taken over the
GTOR #51 BMW M3 GT2 in LM GTE after they withdrew their entry. The aim for the #51 was 3rd as
we were already 2 races behind everyone else. Domma and DaGiBus took part in the race, taking us
to a 3rd place overall in a race with red flag issues.

The Nurburgring was not so good for us as only 3/5 cars qualified and unfortunately we didn't have
the pace to make it onto the grid. 1/2 races on the same weekend seemed a good deal for a car we
hadn't had much time with, so we then started focusing on the next 2 races - the Monza 4h and the Le
Mans 24h.

Monza was the first time we'd be experiencing rain in the LM55, but Domma and StigsTC put in a
stellar effort in a race cut short by a red flag. No stream meant I was managing by Skype only, so both
my drivers receiving damage in accidents was more worrying than usual, but it was a race of incidents
for most of the LMP3 field. Without the red flag we were on pace (especially Domma!) for taking the
lead back before the end of the race, but had to settle for 2nd instead. Still, a 1st and a 2nd was good
going for what was an underdog team at the start of the season.

Le Mans! We were really happy to be taking part in this race, with Domma, DaGiBus and I taking
control of the BMW. StigsTC had obtained a drive in LMP2 so we were all taking part which was
awesome. We qualified 4th in class, but knew we had good pace across wet and dry conditions. I
started the race with a 3h 45m stint and the rain on the formation lap changed things up a bit, as did
the constantly changing conditions. Our schedule was set up to get me some sleep and have the
varying Australian sleeping patterns cover us all. We all had contact at various points, thankfully all
accidental, but this cost us time and showed how tough the race can be. We took a 3rd place which I
was very happy with, but we knew that a fully clean run could have given us a challenge for 2nd place
and not be 4 laps down on the leader. Not knowing that Laguna Seca would appear on the calendar
for LM GTE, we looked back on our late jump into the M3 GT2 as a good run with 2 podiums from 3
races. Now onto Fuji in LMP3!

This race was to be contested by StigsTC and I, giving me a 2nd race for the season in our Azzurro
LM55. We were aiming for the win from the off, knowing that it would help to cement our aim for 1st in
the team's championship. We took pole thanks to sending StigsTC out for a 2nd stint in qualifying. A
bit of confusion on the start line meant that our rivals had a bit of crash and StigsTC got a great break
to drive away and build up a nice lead for me consolidate. I then did as intended and kept the car
clean and safe, avoiding damage or penalties to give us 1st and a 2/2 win rate in LMP3 for myself,
another thing I wasn't expecting!

This led us into the Spielberg 4h needing to get a decent result to almost seal the championship up,
so another win was the aim with testing starting the day after Fuji. With the addition of the Avalerion
car the stakes increased, meaning we had to win with a poor result for Inferno and Turtle Racing
League to give us the best shot. Qualifying 2nd was good, but we would have preferred first, with
TRL_EVOLUTION providing Inferno with some oomph that StigsTC kept pace with at the start. With
most of the hard work done some lag resulted in damage and an early driver swap, giving StigsTC the
job of inventing a strategy to let Domma reach the end in only 1 stop - a tall order with 2 hours left!
There was also an incident with FutureF1 in all of this, resulting in the provisional result putting us 2nd
with the Avalerion car not very far behind. The Inferno car had track limits penalties applied
afterwards which handed us the win, which we saw as fair as we had a warning for TL's and then
became even stricter after that, being a team that hates to get warnings and penalties. We were now
far enough ahead before the final (double points) round that classification was required to win the
team's championship, with a win giving Domma the driver's title to give us the double – we hoped, as
it was the first time we had thought about the driver’s championship, very much being focused on the
team title.

Laguna Seca! The final round of an amazing inaugural season for Team Midweek Motorsports Racers
Collective, with the addition of LM GTE giving the M3 GT2 a final outing. Due to the unfortunate news
regarding lorddragonKD, I was asked by AJ to withdraw our car so that CanAm VRL could race,
which I was more than happy to oblige to. They did a great effort racing and did him proud. This
meant I only had the #13 (unlucky for some - but I don't believe in luck!) to manage for the final round.
with a few driver changes happening in the days leading up to the race. As classification was needed
but a good, fast run would give Domma the driver's title, he was going to be driving with DaBomb, but
he became unavailable at short notice, after initially replacing TNR_KING_FILO who became
unavailable first! TNR_5zigen was however available as the #51 wasn't in the race, so he jumped in
the car with Domma and put in a cracking first stint, changing with Domma under safety car just
before the red flag, a perfect strategy call by StigsTC! We had a 3 lap lead before the race restarted
and held it to the end with a relaxing drive by Domma, rounding off what has been an excellent
season.

Together in the #13 and #51 we had 8 races, 4 wins, one 2nd and two 3rd place finishes, along with
three pole positions (#13) and 1 fastest lap (#13). We very nearly went the season without a fastest
lap until the final round, claiming it by just over a tenth of a second in such a closely fought class. The
#13 had an 80% win rate and 60% pole rate – 3 out of 4 for Domma and Stigs and 2 out of 2 for
myself. Didn’t. Expect. This.

I then had a stint at the Spa 24 with GHH in the Kazboat which was safe and trouble free, if not the slowest GT3 car, but I got to take part and had a great time with the #13 and #51 so it was a nice end to the season. Thanks to Heathenpryde and the rest of the GHH team for that.

This cannot however go without thanks to lots of people. Firstly, AJ, the stewards Peelster and
littleregret and my fellow commentators for organising, running, overseeing and commentating on a
series that I am proud to be a part of, plus letting me get in the comms box a couple of times!
TNR_KING_FILO, DaBomb330, TNR_5zigen and anyone else I've forgotten who helped us with
working out our setups throughout the season and stepping in to drive last minute where required. It
has helped us to learn so much more about car setup and highlighted the importance of setup through
the season.

Our competitors for providing great battles and spurring us on to get faster, get good and up our
game.

Finally, to my team. StigsTC for his strategy, setups and giving up the chance of the GT500 driver's
title to help us achieve the LMP3 team title, missing out on LMP3 driver’s title thanks to the Platinum
drive limit, plus some outstanding drives showing why he's Platinum (in the LMP3 at least - StigsTC).

Domma for being a solid and reliable driver showing consistent pace and speed in both the Mazda
and the BMW, driving whenever he could and showing true Gold pace and being a cornerstone of the
team. He saved us qualifying at Silverstone, getting us to the grid at Spa, his pace in the wet at
Monza, working out the wet setup was better at Le Mans, inventing fuel at RBR and being rewarded
with a relaxing end to the season at Laguna Seca.

DaGiBus for putting in testing hours in the Mazda and displaying great improvement, beating me
hands down on dry times at Le Mans in the #51.

I'm immensely proud of our small team, no longer small fish in a big pond, but an Azzurro fish with a
huge grin on its face. We couldn't have done it without working together, showing that teamwork is
key to success and will be aiming to replicate it next season. MWM RC family - we dun good.

Signing off for the season (but preparing for the next!),

ajh_1990

Erm.... I just realised an error in the Promoter Notice Board. Apparently it says I'm a Gold driver, but I don't think that's correct.

I'm not trying to be modest here, but I had two decent races towards the end of my season with Swift Autosport, and get bumped up once after each one? Erm.... no, that's a slap in the face to other people that have had to get a WHOLE SEASON of performances like that to attain Gold or even just Silver rating.

Erm.... I just realised an error in the Promoter Notice Board. Apparently it says I'm a Gold driver, but I don't think that's correct.

I'm not trying to be modest here, but I had two decent races towards the end of my season with Swift Autosport, and get bumped up once after each one? Erm.... no, that's a slap in the face to other people that have had to get a WHOLE SEASON of performances like that to attain Gold or even just Silver rating.
You do seem to have improved dramatically recently. :)

Perhaps, @sk8er913... I just think the decision to elevate me was hasty considering the season is over. If I have another 2-3 races like that next season, then I won't be so quick to dismiss it.

Granted, I'll say I'm a fantastic Silver driver, but Gold feels like a hasty call.

What a season it has been for all of us here.

When @AJ announced the expansion onto the GTPlanet Endurance Series, I and some other Turtles expressed interest in bringing our Endurance skills to this great series with both in the LMP3 and GT4 Cars! We did not expect that much going into this season but we got a better result than what we were hoping with wins in both of our LMP3 and GT4 Cars! It was a great feeling seeing my team succeed quite a lot!

As this was also my first experience being a Team Manager for Turtle Racing League! It was defiantly a learning season it has been! However I feel so much more confident now with myself to organize information for my team. It was a blast to communicate strategy, races, and much more with all of my team members! It was a blast all season long!

I just want to thank all the competitors in the LMP3 and GT4 class! Man! the LMP3 field was filled with Aliens and the GT4 competition never backed down! Congratulations to the LMP3 Title MWM! Great job guys! Congratulations to @Domma on your LMP3 Title as well dude! Well deserved! Also just want to say great driving to @StigsTC You were a serious threat to every team out there! Also Great job to all the Inferno Guys who we were super happy to be racing right up with them or sometimes beating them or even right behind them! Great job to all the Inferno guys @rcb929 @FutureF1 and all the rest of the INF guys! ROOZ guys hopped on the LMP3 train later in the season and it was really cool to see them join the stacked field! Great job @JonoStan96 on forming that dangerous awesome team!! The GT4 field was always a blast to see. Our Turtle GT4 team had a really strong push up to the end until Leguna with the Connection Issues :lol: Great job to everyone this season in the GT4 as well!! 👍

I would like to thank AJ and all the GTPES Stewards who put a lot of work into making this series happen. Without them, the GTPES wouldn't be possible but with all there hard work going into 2015 was amazing they made the series better everytime they worked on it and put so much time into it. :cheers:

Lastly i got to thank every single Turtle who contributed into our awesome 2015 season! @Schmiggz @littleregret265 @G_Parrilla @Beau Albert @gtpcaine @lightningd @GTRacer22 @gillesthegt6 @Chocochocochip5 @dangerzone641 @Dolph Drago @micantony @Psycho Turtle

Turtle Racing League will be back in 2016 of course with 3 Cars :sly: See you all in 2016! :cheers:

If GTPES stays on GT6 sadly i won't be making any appearances in 2016, however i'm curious, what do you guys think will be the most likely replacement to GT6 if there is a mid-season change?
My guess would be PCars considering that GT7 hasn't even been announced yet so that's highly doubtful and otherwise, i can't see another option other than PCars if GT6 got the boot.....
#HurryUpAssettoCorsa

If GTPES stays on GT6 sadly i won't be making any appearances in 2016, however i'm curious, what do you guys think will be the most likely replacement to GT6 if there is a mid-season change?
My guess would be PCars considering that GT7 hasn't even been announced yet so that's highly doubtful and otherwise, i can't see another option other than PCars if GT6 got the boot.....
#HurryUpAssettoCorsa
I dont think it will go to pcars anytime soon but if it does i am ready! I love the fact this series is run on Gran Turismo like so many other people. If GTPES was to jump ship im sure loads of people wouldnt be able to make it and would be very upset that they couldnt compete. I know in ROR its just me and @gtpcaine with a ps4 and a compatible wheel, @Glenalz81 and @rono_thomas however both own logitec wheels and no ps4 so for them its around £600 to jump console. I dont think it would be possible because familys come first then our hobby. Hope for ROR's sake and others in the same position GTPES stays on ps3 for the season.

I'd say it's even more than £600

PS3 = £299 cheapest option
Wheel t300 rs = £300 + extra £200 to upgrade the useless pedals it comes with.
PlayStation plus subscription £35
Project cars £49.99
And finally all those add on DLC that come out every month.

Now I'm a fortunate position as I've already got the entire list above but that came with taking on a lot of overtime and saving ,a lot of people won't be in the same position for a quick jump to the next gen console and required hardware to race at their current level.
I truly hope the entire season stays on gt6 and PS3 at least for the 2016 season .

I dont think it will go to pcars anytime soon but if it does i am ready! I love the fact this series is run on Gran Turismo like so many other people. If GTPES was to jump ship im sure loads of people wouldnt be able to make it and would be very upset that they couldnt compete. I know in ROR its just me and @gtpcaine with a ps4 and a compatible wheel, @Glenalz81 and @rono_thomas however both own logitec wheels and no ps4 so for them its around £600 to jump console. I dont think it would be possible because familys come first then our hobby. Hope for ROR's sake and others in the same position GTPES stays on ps3 for the season.

I'd say it's even more than £600

PS3 = £299 cheapest option
Wheel t300 rs = £300 + extra £200 to upgrade the useless pedals it comes with.
PlayStation plus subscription £35
Project cars £49.99
And finally all those add on DLC that come out every month.

Now I'm a fortunate position as I've already got the entire list above but that came with taking on a lot of overtime and saving ,a lot of people won't be in the same position for a quick jump to the next gen console and required hardware to race at their current level.
I truly hope the entire season stays on gt6 and PS3 at least for the 2016 season .

I think it would cause many headaches if a team were to, for example gain a class, do one round then due to the shift to hardware (and software) be unable to compete for the rest of the season as the TM and driver's do not have the requirements The only way around it is to hire drivers who have the software. I think it would be essential to poll everyone who participated this year to determine if they have what is needed for the shift, as apart from those who already have it, I can see the numbers reducing dramatically. I for one would like to see the series remain on GT6 for at least next season for that and the reasons rclark and skyline pointed out.

Switching consoles mid season would be the equivalent to AJ loading a gun, pointing it at his foot, and pulling the trigger. I would be surprised to see the series stay alive if they want to shaft us budget sim racers like that. Not everyone has or wants to drop that amount of dough on this stuff. My $0.02

I think it is a little early still to jump ship to the PS4. If AJ were to announce now that the 2017 season would be on PS4, then I think that would be a little more fair, as it gives teams over a year to find the means to switch.

Personally, no one on my team owns a PS4 or a compatible wheel, although I have been looking at upgrading mine.

Switching too early would cause a quick death to the series.

Please refer back to the conversation starting on page 56 of this thread. Nothing has changed its context.

With the announcement of the new 2016 Endurance Calendar at Spa, which will be published shortly, Events 1-6 are confirmed to use PS3 & GT6. Subsequent events (i.e. from April 2016 onwards) will be confirmed as the season progresses, with good notice.

This is no change from what was announced 2 months ago. And gives you a minimum of 7 months notice of the need to purchase new gear at a cost of around $100 - $1000 for a wheel and around $350 for a console (that will be used for more than just racing).

We are now entering the 3rd year of the current generation of consoles and are seeing price drops and great deals on them for the holidays this year. 'Next generation' wheels have also been launched in the part 12 months, at price points to cover all budgets.

If you can't afford to put aside about $65 per month for a $450 purchase that will be amortised over (at least) 5 years i.e $90 per year, then either; this isn't the hobby for you, or you will have to wait until you can.

For those concerned about monthly online fees, have a good look at what these are actually for. This is something Microsoft have implemented since the beginning, look at their model too.

All technology has a lifespan and usage that you can expect out of it. The PS3 and G25 are 10 years old. This is exceptionally good, and both products have proved great value for money for sim racers.

I don't have any more information to share at this time, however, don't expect the us to get stuck in the past. Equally, do expect us to continue making reasoned and considered decisions.

View attachment 281846
Are we still going to do this?

Just to build on what @AJ has posted recently,

We knew when the PS4 was announced that specific wheels weren't going to be catered for, and Logitech had also announced that they weren't offering support for PS4 nor were they going to build more (recently changed their view) in anticipation of needing a new wheel and wanting a new wheel, I started saving for one before the release of GT6,

Since the release of Pcars we have had 3 new wheels arrive on the market, with 7 wheels readily available on the market prior to its release, everyone has had plenty of time to be organized already, the fact that I am ready for next gen should echo through my statement as myself and my partner live off a single income which is usually 95% spoken for before it makes my bank weekly, with some basic budgeting from a weekly income and for the younglings a little bit of Granny' Christmas funding, come Easter time next year you should be in position to purchase the required equipment during the Easter toy sales, and perhaps check your second hand websites and used goods dealers if your still limited on funds,

As for having your equipment mounted to something, our GHH team mate @WIDFO helped me build mine, using a seat from a wrecking yard, an MDF sheet and some new caster wheels the whole build cost less then $70 AUD, pic posted below,

Attachments

• WP_20150806_003.jpg
    WP_20150806_003.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
What is going to happen to a GTPE team that runs the AM's, when a driver receives an upgrade during the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back