2015 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix

• Thread starter ukfan758
  • 512 comments
Especially since if Kimi hadn't had that tire blowout he'd probably have gotten 2nd or 3rd. Ferrari won this and there is no conspiracy...but eh, let the tin foil hatters have their fun. :lol:

The only thing annoying about this race were those two penalties against the Force India cars:ouch:...neither one was their fault especially the one with dip**** in the Red Bull (*coughKvyattcough*).:grumpy:

Especially since if Kimi hadn't had that tire blowout he'd probably have gotten 2nd or 3rd. Ferrari won this and there is no conspiracy...but eh, let the tin foil hatters have their fun. :lol:

The only thing annoying about this race were those two penalties against the Force India cars...neither one was their fault especially the one with dingus in the Red Bull (*coughKvyattcough*).

Might want to rewatch

Yeah they seemed to be just chewing through the brakes the whole weekend...was worried for Riccardo with all that brake dust coming off the front.

Might want to rewatch
Watch what? Okay the Grosain one, maybe...but Kvyatt obviously did something quite questionable.

being ahead is not questionable.
What turning down on someone who's on the inside line isn't questionable? He knew he was there, what was he supposed to do? Turn into the grass? There was nowhere for him to go.

And on the Grosain incident was Grosain's fault, that was really ambitious thinking by Romain.

Watch what? Okay the Grosain one, maybe...but Kvyatt obviously did something quite questionable.

Not sure who this Grosain fella is as for Kvyat, Hulkenberg didn't have the handling, overshot the corner, then when he got back on it Kvyat had the pass and the sudden torque from Hulk trying to regain his car caused him to spin out the RBR. Thus if Hulk just slowly rejoined instead of losing his beans, he'd have no penalty.

Here's video evidence:

See that car overshooting the corner and then trying to quickly fix an obvious big mistake...that's Hulk

What turning down on someone who's on the inside line isn't questionable? He knew he was there, what was he supposed to do? Turn into the grass? There was nowhere for him to go.

And on the Grosain incident was Grosain's fault, that was really ambitious thinking by Romain.
The reason is because he was Behind Kyvats halfway point and Ricciardo was next to Kyvat meaning there was no room for Hulkenburg to go in the inside in which he should of let him anyway as in F1 drivers don't have to give racing room to those behind and off the racing line.

It was a cheap move at best and it deserved the penalty.

Perez Hit on Grosjean was even more penalty worthy as Grosjean was ahead and Perez just wiped him off the track.

See that car overshooting the corner and then trying to quickly fix an obvious big mistake...that's Hulk

The way I saw it was Hulkenburg went deep/wide which gave Kvyat the chance to get alongside. But Kvyat didn't completely clear him because of the way the outside line on the first corner melds into the inside line of the second. Kyvat cuts for the racing line and bumps Hulk, whose only real option for avoiding that was to brake and let Kyvat go.

I assume that Kvyat either believed that he was clear of Hulk or just didn't see him. But if you're Hulkenburg, usually if you're alongside you're not under any obligation to brake and get out of someone's way. Just because you ended up on that piece of track because of a mistake in the previous corner doesn't mean you're not entitled to it.

IMO, Kvyat should have run a marginally wider line through that corner to give room, but I can see why he didn't. It was racing incident at best to me, Hulkenburg was driving his (slightly odd) line, and Kvyat had legitimate reasons to believe that he was clear to take the line that he did.

When I watched the race I was in a bar without commentary, so that's purely from watching the footage. But that's how it looked to me.

The way I saw it was Hulkenburg went deep/wide which gave Kvyat the chance to get alongside. But Kvyat didn't completely clear him because of the way the outside line on the first corner melds into the inside line of the second. Kyvat cuts for the racing line and bumps Hulk, whose only real option for avoiding that was to brake and let Kyvat go.

I assume that Kvyat either believed that he was clear of Hulk or just didn't see him. But if you're Hulkenburg, usually if you're alongside you're not under any obligation to brake and get out of someone's way. Just because you ended up on that piece of track because of a mistake in the previous corner doesn't mean you're not entitled to it.

IMO, Kvyat should have run a marginally wider line through that corner to give room, but I can see why he didn't. It was racing incident at best to me, Hulkenburg was driving his (slightly odd) line, and Kvyat had legitimate reasons to believe that he was clear to take the line that he did.

When I watched the race I was in a bar without commentary, so that's purely from watching the footage. But that's how it looked to me.

Problem is his original words, posed it as if Kvyat was the one at fault and doing some erroneous maneuvers on track and Hulk was purely a victim. I agree a simple racing incident though I'd say a bit more of Hulk's fault, Kvyat also said he thought it should have been chalked up as a racing incident. Hulk lost the car tried to recover was pushed out because Kvyat had DR to his right and also because he thought he had enough speed after the pass to have already cleared Hulk.

Problem as you've said is he didn't and thus when Hulk tried to recover he took Kvyat in the process due to no room. But as you also said and so have I he didn't really have the chance to run that great of a wider line due to his team mate. IT was just a bit of a tight move and an accident nothing more.

Now Checo on Grosjean was pure penalty worthy, this is a similar move to what Checo did last year on Massa which surprise surprise penalty was also given. The user is question really didn't do a good job of explaining how if it all these two FI drivers were as clean of charge as he seemed to imply, which is why he was pressed to explain and why I'd assume he stopped.

True. Hard to infer much when a car (Vettel) can go from finishing thirty seconds behind in Australia to almost earning the pole and splitting the Mercs in Malaysia.

I think it's safe to assume that Mercedes still have the ultimate pace, but that perhaps their tyre management has slipped slightly, which was exacerbated by the very high track temperatures.

The Ferrari clearly had better tyre wear and this was helped by Vettel (though Kimi clearly managed the tyres well as well)- whenever they went onboard with him I was remarking at how smooth he was- 1 steering input, 1 throttle application. Though it did seem as though the Mercedes were around .5 to 1 second faster over the first 5 laps or so of a stint.

I think it's safe to assume that Mercedes still have the ultimate pace, but that perhaps their tyre management has slipped slightly, which was exacerbated by the very high track temperatures.

The Ferrari clearly had better tyre wear and this was helped by Vettel (though Kimi clearly managed the tyres well as well)- whenever they went onboard with him I was remarking at how smooth he was- 1 steering input, 1 throttle application. Though it did seem as though the Mercedes were around .5 to 1 second faster over the first 5 laps or so of a stint.
What Ferrari did reminded me of Mercedes performance in Shanghai 2012, were as Mercedes won because they were the only good team that could get heat into the tyres Ferrari won because they were the only team that could manage the heat sufficiently. I think we'll know just how competitive this Ferrari is after Monaco which will be far away from Malaysia tyre wise.

Toro Rosso might be changing their livery to a more yellow one to give Renault more exposure.

Toro Rosso might be changing their livery to a more yellow one to give Renault more exposure.
Substantial livery changes need approval, either from the FIA, FOM, the other teams, or any combination thereof. They could probably get away with changing the gold elements to yellow without much fuss.

Substantial livery changes need approval, either from the FIA, FOM, the other teams, or any combination thereof. They could probably get away with changing the gold elements to yellow without much fuss.
Has this changed much in the last few years, because it's been done before for changes that last the rest season.

Think Spyker.

I guess that will be a shoo-in though, providing the livery conforms to symettry regs and isn't too like another?

My first thought on changing gold->yellow is similarities with the RBR though...

Back