2015 Pirelli Hungarian Grand Prix

Mercedes unsure what caused Rosberg's car to break down in the pitlane at the end of the session. Not good news so close to quali.

Mercedes unsure what caused Rosberg's car to break down in the pitlane at the end of the session. Not good news so close to quali.
What do you mean "not good news"? Of course it's good news - now nobody can stop Hamilton. Not that he has anything to worry about, of course; he's Lewis Hamilton. Hungary is his best circuit ... this week. I know we said Silverstone was his best circuit, and before that Montreal, but hey, he's Lewis Hamilton; he makes Senna look like Deletraz just by showing up.

What do you mean "not good news"? Of course it's good news - now nobody can stop Hamilton. Not that he has anything to worry about, of course; he's Lewis Hamilton. Hungary is his best circuit ... this week. I know we said Silverstone was his best circuit, and before that Montreal, but hey, he's Lewis Hamilton; he makes Senna look like Deletraz just by showing up.

The sarcasm is strong in this one. ;)

Sarcasm? No. Sky were mentioning that twenty-one races next year is a big ask, so I thought I would apply for a job. I just need to get the voice right.

If Nico would actually challenge Lewis more consistently, the tune might change.

As it is, can't really tell if Nico is occassionally brilliant, or if Lewis is occassionally not. You could actually make a good case for either hypothesis, though there are definitely tracks where Nico is either as good as Lewis or better.

-

Feel for Jenson. I would not like for him to retire from F1 behind the wheel of a clunker.

Crap. Alonso with engine issues.

So much for that new engine, if that is the issue.

Took the marshals a good amount of time to get out there... Alonso was pushing the car uphill on his own.

11796401_10153908327467841_8347115621207023175_n.jpg

Forza Alonso. The McLaren has never been faster.

From Nico Rosberg's radio calls, doesn't seem like he'll be close to Lewis in Q3. The question is whether Vettel can grab that front row spot from him.

Ricciardo in 4th. I must be dreaming...

No, they wouldn't. They talk him down at every opportunity.

No comment on that. We don't get Sky.

-

Looks like a whole bunch of (really fast) banker laps... I think we're going to see a fresh tire shootout at the very end of this qualifying session.

-

Ricciardo splits the Ferraris again! A second row start would be fantastic for Red Bull tomorrow... however long they'll be able to keep the place, given the power deficit off the start line...

Nail-biting... Rosberg misses pole!

And now Hamilton increases the lead to half a second!

That's a mountain of time... Nico will have to work on those balance issues or he won't have a chance tomorrow...

Nico doesn't look very happy after that run. Lewis found another 2-3 tenths on fresh tires... Nico found a tiny bit of time in the first sector and then lost it all in the middle sector.

Nico has not been able to find the balance, supposedly, all weekend... though looking at their previous records, Lewis has typically gone better here than Nico... beating him by a similar amount in 2013.

-

EDIT: Interesting observations from Matthew Marsh and Alex Yoong... Nico (and I noticed this too) used much more of the track than Lewis. Lewis almost looked like he was pussyfooting around the curbs here.

Given how tight and bumpy the circuit is... and how stiffly the Mercedes rides... perhaps not going for the geometric maximum on the racing line is the better strategy here?

Last edited:
Back