2015 Pirelli Hungarian Grand Prix

Watch Daniel's onboard on the exit, he's straightened up waiting to see if Nico has the drive to come back at him and then clout.

Take the Rosberg rose tints off.
How about I do you a deal: you watch the Belgian Grand Prix, and then recall it twenty-four hours later. And in that twenty-four hours, you will need to take my Year 12 class in the week before their final exams, on top of a full eight-period day, and then do forty parent-teacher interviews after school.

So you'll excuse me if, in my memory, Riccardo was a metre to the left of where he actually was. All things considered, I'm doing a pretty damb good job just to stay awake.

How about I do you a deal: you watch the Belgian Grand Prix, and then recall it twenty-four hours later. And in that twenty-four hours, you will need to take my Year 12 class in the week before their final exams, on top of a full eight-period day, and then do forty parent-teacher interviews after school.

So you'll excuse me if, in my memory, Riccardo was a metre to the left of where he actually was. All things considered, I'm doing a pretty damb good job just to stay awake.
There's a huge gulf between going off and not going off - and I remember at the time exclaiming "how on Earth has he kept that on the track?!".

It was a racing incident. Rosberg, I suspect along with everyone else, simply didn't expect Ricciardo to keep it on the track and stuck to the racing line without a second thought. In doing so he found himself with an avoidable puncture at such an early point in the lap and such a late point in the race that this one 'mistake' ruined it for him. It was also a stupid decision to go onto the medium tyres and, as we heard from the pit radio, it was his choice and not the team's. I guess he wanted to copy Hamilton to cover him off at the end of the race, rather than chase Vettel down for the victory.

Hamilton's mistakes happened much earlier and allowed him time to get back into position - 10th to 4th and later 14th to 6th following the drive-through penalty.

Both of them, along with a few other drivers, drove like morons - and Hamilton picked up 2 penalty points on his licence for the contact with Ricciardo, which is notable as four other drivers also collected penalty points for that race...

Hamilton: Single infraction (avoidable contact) - 2pt
Kvyat: Single infraction (leaving the circuit to gain an advantage) - 2pt
Grosjean: Single infraction (unsafe release) - 2pt
Verstappen: Single infraction (not staying above the required time under the SC) - 3pt
Maldonado: Three infractions (avoidable contact, speeding in the pit lane, overtaking behind the SC) - 2pt

And I defy anyone to say that Hamilton, Kvyat and Grosjean were as reckless and dangerous as Maldonado in that race, or that Verstappen was worse.

It was also a stupid decision to go onto the medium tyres and, as we heard from the pit radio, it was his choice and not the team's. I guess he wanted to copy Hamilton to cover him off at the end of the race, rather than chase Vettel down for the victory.
According to Toto Wolff, they wanted to put him on the softs, but they had to react to the safety car and the softs weren't ready because they needed another lap or two to be confident that Rosberg could make it to the end.

I thought that was pretty bad of Rosberg, the way he went off in just about every corner to maintain his momentum during the puncture.

And the handling was shot. He was running wide through the right-handers moreso than the lefts. He clearly couldn't make the turns.

According to Toto Wolff, they wanted to put him on the softs, but they had to react to the safety car and the softs weren't ready because they needed another lap or two to be confident that Rosberg could make it to the end.
Which is nob, as 27 laps on the softs was not a stretch. Rosberg was literally the only driver to run 2 sets of Mediums, and one of the only drivers to do more than 20 laps on Mediums (Mehri 34, Vettel 26, Stevens 24, Sainz 24). He was also one of the latest Soft-starting drivers to take his first stop (Stevens 26, Raikonnen 22, Vettel 21, Ricciardo 21, Rosberg 20).

On the pit radio on lap 37 he asked the team what they'd put Hamilton on and said he wanted that too.
Pit wall: Lewis will be going to the prime tyre and possibly earlier than you.
Rosberg: Then I'll go for the prime tyre as well then!
Pit wall: Nico at the moment the pit wall are not inclined to do that.

Which is nob, as 27 laps on the softs was not a stretch.
Only if you assume that they were a fully-prepared frsh set, which they weren't - they were used and under-prepared on a weekend when massive temperature variation was producing anomalous data.

And Rosberg has also said that he wanted to cover Hamilton off because he wasn't confident that he could take Vettel on the softs and keep the pace up.

Only if you assume that they were a fully-prepared frsh set, which they weren't - they were used and under-prepared on a weekend when massive temperature variation was producing anomalous data.
No-one but Ricciardo had a fresh set - which he'd saved by qualifying through Q1 on hards. So no, not if you assume that.
And Rosberg has also said that he wanted to cover Hamilton off because he wasn't confident that he could take Vettel on the softs and keep the pace up.
I guess he wanted to copy Hamilton to cover him off at the end of the race, rather than chase Vettel down for the victory.

Race Summary...

Unsung Hero for sure has to either go to Alonso (personally for me it does), for having to push his car and bringing it home fifth. Also there is Kvyat, who just kept his head down and even with a penalty didn't let it stop him or contact.

Biggest losers...Rosberg obviously.

Idiot of the race was clearly the guy that didn't

Team break down is simple

Winners:
Ferrari: for obvious reason but still somewhat losing out on what could have put them back in the running for the WCC.

RBR: The clear real winners here, they made best of bad situations last year with races like this, but their situation is so much worse surprisingly than last year that these best of bad situations are far more rare. I'd say don't expect this to happen again for the remainder of the season, but then I'm reminded that Russia and Mexico are on the schedule.

Mclaren: Pretty much the same thing as RBR but uh...worse this year. And so this is like on level with a Minardi double points finish at this point. I'd say if both RBR weren't on podium they'd be the real winners of the weekend.

Toro Rosso: They haven't seen a finish this good or better in seven years. That should explain enough, though they have had a good season on the lower half of the top ten.

Neutral ground:
Mercedes: Now people will probably disagree with this, but think about it. Yes they started one two, but out of all the incidents they had during the race it's a surprise they didn't end up like Force India. Lewis clearly has a Voodoo witch doctor because he came from lower than tenth twice to mid top 10, in 69 laps. That's how crazy the race was and how much luck he had it seems. And more importantly due to Kimi's exit Mercedes were able to salvage on what could have been much worse. Yes they weren't the winners but they really weren't the losers either.

Lotus: Basically doing what they have been, expecting Grosjean to gain them points, and Pastor to give them twitter jokes due to his continuous grab of penalties which he didn't run short on this weekend...or the next five races.

Manor: Typical weekend

Sauber: Got a point, and brought both cars home, I mean with stronger cars being behind them or finding the exit too soon you'd think they'd be having the same joy as Toro Rosso's solo finisher, but that isn't the case

Losers:
Williams: Yeah in what could have been a shake up for them...just wasn't.

Force India: Basically demonstrating that they can be fast, but can they be fast and keep their cars in one piece while doing it? The drivers may be also curious to know that answer.

How uneventful was the race for Williams that they ended up going unnoticed? :lol:

I myself just thought that waking up this morning after all of the madness died down.

That's because when it was first used it was complete rubbish compared to the other tracks in use. Now they are nearly all gone or modified badly and replaced with Tilke tracks so now it looks good compared to them. ;)

This is really funny. :lol:

I've actually always liked this track, its unique and has had some of the strangest races, like Button's first win, when Damon Hill almost won in the Arrows and Schumacher and Brawn did that awesome strategy to beat the Mclarens back in 1998.

Hamilton: Single infraction (avoidable contact) - 2pt
Kvyat: Single infraction (leaving the circuit to gain an advantage) - 2pt
Grosjean: Single infraction (unsafe release) - 2pt
Verstappen: Single infraction (not staying above the required time under the SC) - 3pt
Maldonado: Three infractions (avoidable contact, speeding in the pit lane, overtaking behind the SC) - 2pt

And I defy anyone to say that Hamilton, Kvyat and Grosjean were as reckless and dangerous as Maldonado in that race, or that Verstappen was worse.
I just don't understand that. How does Maldonado get a bulk discount?

Shouldn't it be avoidable contact (2pts), speeding in the pit lane (hmm), overtaking behind SC (3pts - to match Verstappen's SC related punishment) = 5pts, with a pass on the pit lane speeding one?

I cant say Lewis drove "bad". Everyone makes mistakes, even the very best. I remember Shumacher having a couple of moments in his dominant Ferrari's. I believe the collision with Ricc was just a racing incident. Ricc himself had a few lockups at T1, even on warm soft tires. I dont think he needed a drive thru, but thats just me. I thought some penalties were a bit overboard and others a little lax. Drive of the race imo was Alonso. 15th to 5th is amazing in this years Honda.

Hamilton Deserved the Penalty imo, it was worse then what Maldonado did to Perez even though both where the product of understeer.

Hamilton Deserved the Penalty imo, it was worse then what Maldonado did to Perez even though both where the product of understeer.

What? Just... w-what?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around him overtaking the safety car. Who does that?!

What? Just... w-what?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around him overtaking the safety car. Who does that?!
Maldonado slowly pushed Perez wide till the wheels interlocked, Hamilton just flat out smashed into Ricciardo after the pass was made.

Also, Maldonado probably doesnt think he did anything wrong. Lewis said straight away that he screwed up when hit Ricciardo. The engine might be made of cardboard, but at least the RB bodywork can take some punishment.

Maldonado slowly pushed Perez wide till the wheels interlocked, Hamilton just flat out smashed into Ricciardo after the pass was made.

Hamilton defended on the inside, locked up a front wheel, missed the apex by a mile, and understeered into Ricciardo. Reckless, yes, because he should have realized he didn't have enough front grip to make that inside line stick, but understandable on a cold tire restart.

Maldonado had complete control of the car. Defended to the inside, just like Hamilton did. Got his braking right. Hit his apex. Took the racing line. And, with Perez in front of him, proceeded to push Perez clean off the track.

Now I've given Hamilton a lot of guff for this race, but running someone off the road when you're in control of your car doesn't seem to me to be better than accidentally doing so... and more deserving of a penalty.

Hamilton locked up and he had no control of his car, but Maldonado didn't even want to move his steering wheel to his right. Maldonado is a psycho, he could kill someone someday.

Also, Maldonado probably doesnt think he did anything wrong. Lewis said straight away that he screwed up when hit Ricciardo. The engine might be made of cardboard, but at least the RB bodywork can take some punishment.

Their cars have always been pretty robust. I believe it was Singapore 2010 where Webber's front wheel made contact with Hamilton's rear, and it was Hamilton's that gave way.

Hamilton defended on the inside, locked up a front wheel, missed the apex by a mile, and understeered into Ricciardo. Reckless, yes, because he should have realized he didn't have enough front grip to make that inside line stick, but understandable on a cold tire restart.

Maldonado had complete control of the car. Defended to the inside, just like Hamilton did. Got his braking right. Hit his apex. Took the racing line. And, with Perez in front of him, proceeded to push Perez clean off the track.

Now I've given Hamilton a lot of guff for this race, but running someone off the road when you're in control of your car doesn't seem to me to be better than accidentally doing so... and more deserving of a penalty.

Yeah Fair enough, maybe should of looked into detail before saying it lol.

Maldonado is a sociopathic driver, clearly at fault but doesn't ever see it, and will never admit fault.

Maldonado is a sociopathic driver, clearly at fault but doesn't ever see it, and will never admit fault.

I'm with Brundle on this one; he once said that all F1 drivers have two parts of their brain removed - the part that recognises danger and the part that takes blame.

Rosberg didn't win last year due to ERS (and KERS?) failure last year, and the team wanted him to box. He stayed out and was lapped by Hamilton.

I'm not sure you watched the same race. Hamilton hit Ricciardo during the pass, because he braked far too late, missing the apex by a country mile and clobbering a car that was still making the turn. This was at the entry phase of the corner.

Maldonado just drove across the track into Perez at the exit phase of the corner, after they'd both made the turn and were driving off in a straight line.

And then Maldonado exceeded the pitlane speed and passed Will Stevens behind the safety car - infractions equivalent to that which Verstappen received 3pt for (speeding behind the safety car) - but only got the same 2pt that Hamilton got for missing his braking point, or Kvyat got for understeering a bit, or Grosjean got for being released from his pitbox alongside another car.

What I saw was hamilton getting outbraked by Ricciardo and then Hamilton getting off the brakes and then back on which caused him to go wide.

I didn't see the video above till now, but that shows it basically came down to someone having more grip.

A mistake that caused a hit, but not intentional by anymeans.

Back