2015 Round 3 - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps - Nissan Zytek Z11SN Greaves Motorsport LMP2

• Thread starter numbnuts70
  • 365 comments
My thoughts on cones/ astro-turf, tyre stacks etc.

They build a track and paint a white line on the edge of it,
then they put a nice bit of hard kerbing on the inside and outside of most corners as a buffer zone to try and keep you on the black bit.
That is the racing surface, no more.
Take a street circuit like the old Adelaide F1 Circuit, or Surfers Paradise Indy circuits we have here in Australia
Anything outside the white line is a concrete wall for 99% of the track, if you try and drive off the track, you run into concrete,
Racers (amateur and professional alike) need to learnt or be taught to treat the white lines as a concrete wall,
There is no more racing space beyond that line.

Ok, got to be honest here. After reading @Tidgney's post the other day, which was very well put, true and I must say, I always take @Tidgney's advice with great respect and try to pay close attention to try and learn...

After reading the, "Some people aren't cut out for it part..." I first thought, Yeah, that's true. Then the racing demons started to say (you know the little red devil that sits on one shoulder and tells you...) "YOUR NOT CUT OUT FOR IT!"

So I was peeved! lol Thought about it at work..."well, I'll just have to go home and show em'. lol Needless to say, last nights session was a disaster...tonight's wasn't much better. Scrappy, all over the place, forgot how to do this and that...tried to mimic the vids...tried different gearing hear and there and I booted several cones to the next county. lol Somehow, gained just over a tenth to 2:09.463

Ok, deep breath. Tomorrow's Friday. I'm done trying to prove anything to anybody lol which in reality, I knew I wasn't going to nail one out of the park, I was just peeved. Simple. But, after I cooled off, It did motivate me to focus on certain areas that is building a better picture of how they (the top dogs) do what they do. So once again, thanks @Tidgney. 👍👍 Nothing comes easy or is handed on a platter that is of any worth.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to believing in yourself, believing in myself. I know what I've done in the past, in racing and other stunts behind the wheel, in the real world since I was 7. I realize there is a lot that relates in GT6 to the real world and that there is also a very obvious difference. If I didn't know for a fact that GT6 relates and can and will be helpful to me and others...I wouldn't bother.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. GT Academy is an awesome part of GT6. I take it serious and try to chill to do the best I can. Someone will get the opportunity to live the dream, that's Awesome! All the best to them! ...a dream I've lived in and lost...a dream I've lived with all my life. One thing I know for sure, GT Academy success or not, failure or bust.. The dream will never die!

All the best to everyone! I owe a ton to GTPlanet for all the tips, vids and advice in the Academy and other TT's. I am thankful to have been able to achieve a 2:09.4, which is over a second above realistic goal coming in. Thanks GTP! 👍

:cheers:

some of the cones are ON THE CURBING. The curbing is DESIGNED AS PART OF THE TRACK. This isn't a coffee break challenge, so let us use the actual track!! (also Adelaide has more runoff than you think, i go to the race every year and most corners have some sort of runoff)

I have actually raced Indy car driver Alex tagliani. It was for a press event at a local go kart track. Was expecting some smooth driving but he was all over the place. He came in seven in our pro speed race. Granted he probably didn't want to be there and wasn't trying his best. But I know the racer in anyone hates losing.

Racers (amateur and professional alike) need to learnt or be taught to treat the white lines as a concrete wall,
There is no more racing space beyond that line.
That's a mighty tall order there:

Unlike us, Wolfgang had no cones to deal with and had a car more suitable to get on the rumbles. Just look how much he's pushing the track limits.

A professional Formula 1 driver with multiple championships going past the white line to pass someone. He pushed his luck and in this case, got away with it.

Regan Smith was not as lucky with the yellow line. Yet he tried anyways because it was for a victory and thought he had a case for bending the rules. There are people to this day that argue that Smith should've won that race.

The problem with asking drivers to treat the white line as a concrete wall is that they're just not the same thing. A wall or a gravel pit damages the car and may end a driver's race; they is no real benefit using it. The main deterrent against abusing white lines and rumble strips are stewards and the penalties dictated by rules and regulations. There's an advantage to be had and naturally, racers will take their chances.

some of the cones are ON THE CURBING. The curbing is DESIGNED AS PART OF THE TRACK. This isn't a coffee break challenge, so let us use the actual track!! (also Adelaide has more runoff than you think, i go to the race every year and most corners have some sort of runoff)

The curbing is not part of the track, the black bit is the track and inside the white line on the edge.
Though you could use the term " The Track" as meaning the whole facility.

I'd say the track limit goes where PD has set it to go ;) :lol:

Naah, only track limitation that wonders me is on the entry of bus stop (DQ for going too far inside on entry) but otherwise they seem quite fair to me...

Edit: and without thones cones I think we would be guessing were the actual limit goes, now it's fairly clear, just don't hit the cones...

ODB
I'd say the track limit goes where PD has set it to go ;) :lol:

Naah, only track limitation that wonders me is on the entry of bus stop (DQ for going too far inside on entry) but otherwise they seem quite fair to me...

Edit: and without thones cones I think we would be guessing were the actual limit goes, now it's fairly clear, just don't hit the cones...
I think the cones r put there designed for a patience/determination thing u wanna be good @ something or anything in this world u need patience to achieve ur goals. If u wanna go to nationals or race camp ur gonna need alot of patience/determination to get there. I know I can compete with the top guys/aliens but what they do in a few days takes me the whole two weeks to achieve. Been racing with the steering wheel for 7 months & been using a controller basically since GT1/Gt2 days, I just think I need more wheel time. Great time @ ODB ur always hard to catch...

I think the cones r put there designed for a patience/determination thing u wanna be good @ something or anything in this world u need patience to achieve ur goals.

Heh well said, came to mind that what those cones do to me is that they make my overall driving style more patient, I have a really bad habit messing up my laps either hesitating or being inpatient :boggled: really tough to find the golden line between but those cones really make you wait until you see the exit and prevent me from just blindly charging in, so I kind of like how they force me to drive in more patient/consistent manner...
Have patience people and have a great weekend :cheers: :gtpflag:

In 2013, they didn't use cones except at spots where they would be on the real Silverstone Circuit. I liked that a lot better because not only were the limits more reasonable, even if you went over, you kept going. The tire model limited how many laps you could do but you could do a few stints at a time and build up consistency. Forced restarts ruins that. Not sure why they brought back the cones.
what is the treatment for those who have no patience but can't stop playing this sh...?
Try running long stints around Spa with the Zytek. No need to break lap records: just work on keeping a steady pace. This will help when racing against other people.
To be honest there's no way of telling where you went wrong or why you didn't make the cut because at the end of the national finals they pick the ppl moving on and don't give a reason as to why so and so didn't make the cut
Finals may be a competition but I view it more as a round of job interviews. With those, they rarely give you a reason why you're not selected and you're left wondering whether you did something wrong, others were simply better or they have their favorites.

Hmm just had my first crack at this and I don't think I've ever come across such an event in GT that seems to favour wheel users. That's not sour grapes on my part, I usually do just fine at Spa and usually at least top 5,000 or so in seasonals often with a car well short of the PP limit (as I tend to drive cars with stock specs and settings) but after many many attempts I'm still around 1.5s off Gold here, and something like 34k in the world. Very odd.

Try running long stints around Spa with the Zytek. No need to break lap records: just work on keeping a steady pace. This will help when racing against other people..

for me it's simply impossible with these track limits, even if i don't aim hot laps, too inconsistent but...
2.07.351 :dunce: I MADE IT, FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYY:banghead:

evil allowed me to make a nearly decent S2 (this is where i lost nearly all), i sh.. my pants at the bus stop, i braked too early but i made it well somehow...

i can rest in piece...

wheel users can take Eau Rouge flat apparently... my Battlefield controller refuses to take it above 235km/h

i tried with my DS3 and it's already a good speed here.

Last edited:
I did a few runs with the DS3 to see if I could get gold.

Yes, I can definitely say going flat through Eau Rouge is extremely difficult, if not impossible (145 mph was the best I could do). It's a stark contrast to a wheel where you're focused on being tidy as to minimize loss of speed. Same problem at Blanchimont (held 147 mph by staying right over the racing line).

2:11.6xx after a few attempts. If I was better with the nubs like back in my GT4 days, I could squeeze out another 1-1.5 seconds.

what is the treatment for those who have no patience but can't stop playing this sh...?

To play GT endlessly, patience will come or either you'll loose your mind :D I'm not sure if I'm gaining patience or about to loose my mind, but I like to live on the edge so who cares :lol: :lol:

2.07.351 :dunce: I MADE IT, FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYY:banghead:

:bowdown: not too bad for an inpatient person :cheers:

Not sure why they brought back the cones.

I wasn't there 2013, but the way I see it is that especially on this track you could luck out amazing times jumping over those curbs if there were less limitations, now they really force you to stay on the road instead of taking insane risks chanting ave maria hoping those curbs throw you to right line on the exit...

I mean sometimes doing those TT's where there really is no cone in sight leads me to DQ more laps over track limitations for there's places were I'm not quite certain how far off the track I can go... I mean removing those cones and "one tire on track" limitations would make this a really arcade stuff don't you think? lol it would shave 2 seconds from top times I think :lol:

Last edited:
ODB
To play GT endlessly, patience will come or either you'll loose your mind :D I'm not sure if I'm gaining patience or about to loose my mind, but I like to live on the edge so who cares :lol: :lol:

same :lol:

the lead improved again :eek: i was under a sec... i was :banghead:

(no, i won't go back - no, i won't go back - no, i won't go back - no...)

After some painstaking amount of attempts this is my best lap. It's the first time I have ever done it with a steering wheel and I managed to get to low 2000th. It was so hard to drive it well with a DS3 controller. Cant go flat out at Eau Rouge.

ODB

Yep, couldn't have said it better! :lol:

Patience, insanity or bust! Squeaked out a tad to: 2:09.379

It is what it is, ready to move on!

:cheers:

Wolf and IMMORTAL are trading heavy blows at the top :lol: It's pretty interesting to see the difference in their styles as well. IMMORTAL slides a lot more. He practically drifted the whole first part of Campos. Wolf is a lot more conservative. Looking forward to the last few days :P

I'm getting the hang of sliding in the first corner now. I can slide Bruxelles if I use the handbrake, but it's 50:50. Losing oodles of time in Pouhon just like last year. Can't slide Campos no matter what I do. Stavelot I tend to use 2nd gear then immediately to 3rd (can't get enough rotation with 3rd). Losing lots of time in the chicane as well, but thanks to Tidgney's brake marker at least I can nail it consistently now.

Don't think I'm gonna spend anymore time with this. Improved 0.5 secs overall compared to last year so I'm quite happy. Bring on the FINAL ROUND!!! :cheers:

I was going to film a vid of my latest lap hahaha NOT Gonna' happen! :lol: It's "the Good, the Bad, and the ugly," ouch! I had to stop myself. At least some of the previous laps were more consistent. This one was more like "the Terrible, the PUSH hard to make up for it, and (somewhat) screw up what you gained at the end. :yuck: :lol:

Of course, I have found falling behind at the beginning often causes me to get better in areas learning where I can push harder (to catch up)...so it's not all bad! 👍

Back