2016 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 8,011 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rear wings generally aren't though, as they are so much closer to the rear suspension and generally a hit to the rear is the end of your day. Still I see your point.
One thing we saw today was a lot of hits to the rear tire pods, which is where the numbers would be essentially. They can be replaced, as we saw a desire to for Sato had it not been for a part shortage. These cars have become in essense more mechanically durable.

I don't know what's worse: That Indycar fans dislike Sage/TCGR enough that a spin any other rookie could make brings up talk about "Fixing" races, or that motorsport as a whole has gotten to the point where something like that has become expected from 3 car (Or more) teams...

I'm not even a fan of Karam, but I would wait until radio chatter or some other kind of PROOF shows up before throwing out comparisons to Piquet Jr. (Who's career has recovered quite nicely since that infamous accident).
Townsend Bell, David Hobbs, Juan Montoya,and Jimmy Vasser are all on record in thinking that it was very odd.

“It was just a very sketchy corner, you’re carrying a lot of speed in there,” Karam told MotorSportsTalk in a post-race interview.

“I was on my in lap actually. I was gonna pit that lap. I guess my brakes were getting a bit hot, the team said. They wanted me to go to the front on the brake bias. I was looking down and I was turning the front brake bias about two clicks.

“I just lost track of the apex, I didn’t lose track of the apex, I just lost track of my speed going to the apex. Bounced off the curb, going too fast, dropped a wheel on the exit and looped it. I almost did the same thing yesterday.

“Just unfortunate because the car was really really fast. If a different yellow fell our way, not necessarily my own yellow, I think we could have had a good race.”

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.co...-frustration-skepticism-from-indycar-paddock/

Why would anybody in their right mind attempt to change their brake bias while braking? Maybe Sage needs to call Tom Brady and get his advice on how to lie to the media because that story is pretty weak.

Hopefully Dario can coach him up and help him find his missing apex.:lol: or not missing apex he isnt sure.

That great American president, Richard Nixon, once quipped, "if the President does it, it's legal."

Same applies to Lance Armstrong, Tom Brady and Sage Karam. :rolleyes:

Even so, I guess it's good for the championship. What with double points for the final, anyone down to tenth can be the champ.

41BK7510.jpg

Congratulations Graham! Now that's how you race at home! That was the comeback drive of a champion! Just 2 more races to finish off your epic comeback for your first IndyCar Championship! I hope to see you hoist that Astor Cup in person at Sonoma at the end of this month!
For Honda... For America! :gtpflag:

Why would anybody in their right mind attempt to change their brake bias while braking? Maybe Sage needs to call Tom Brady and get his advice on how to lie to the media because that story is pretty weak.

Don't F1 drivers do stuff like that all the time? God knows how many buttons are on the average steering wheel nowadays... After watching the replays, it looked like Sage just ran out of talent trying to correct the steering and lost it with a lazy spin to me. A further Vine clip he had posted on his Twitter showed that the car was about as ill-handling as a bucking bronco before that spin as well...

Was it fortunate that he spun and that helped out Dixon? Sure. Did Chip Ganassi order him to do it? That's the question and unfortunately I won't be able to ask him myself because I can't renew my tickets for the Sonoma race... And Sage won't be racing at Sonoma either.

Don't F1 drivers do stuff like that all the time? God knows how many buttons are on the average steering wheel nowadays... After watching the replays, it looked like Sage just ran out of talent trying to correct the steering and lost it with a lazy spin to me. A further Vine clip he had posted on his Twitter showed that the car was about as ill-handling as a bucking bronco before that spin as well...

Was it fortunate that he spun and that helped out Dixon? Sure. Did Chip Ganassi order him to do it? That's the question and unfortunately I won't be able to ask him myself because I can't renew my tickets for the Sonoma race... And Sage won't be racing at Sonoma either.
While braking,no.

Your supposed to do that when not moving or when on a really long straight. In any race car to do such a thing is like rule number 1 of things to NEVER do. That was beyond a rookie mistake...even Pastor Maldonado isn't that stupid. And I personally would leave the Ganassi conspiracies behind just because none of his cars really had a chance at that point in the race. Rahal and Wilson were too strong.

Your supposed to do that when not moving or when on a really long straight. In any race car to do such a thing is like rule number 1 of things to NEVER do. That was beyond a rookie mistake...even Pastor Maldonado isn't that stupid. And I personally would leave the Ganassi conspiracies behind just because none of his cars really had a chance at that point in the race. Rahal and Wilson were too strong.
Wilson too strong...we don't get to say that often do we?

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/119910-miller-let-s-call-it-sage-gate

The whole thing is a mess. IndyCar, DTM...great weekend for team orders.
Nothing good ever comes from it.

A mechanic from another team emailed this writer on Sunday night with this message: "Julian (Robertson of Dixon's team) came running down to Sage's pit and told his guys to tell Karam "the gearbox pressure is rising or the gearbox is getting hot" and two laps later he spins out. That's total B.S. Just like that Clint Bowyer deal in NASCAR a couple years ago."

EDIT:
TV ratings are in.
0.15 rating CNBC 1:30 pm Sunday Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio (Live)
0.42 rating NBCSN 6:00 pm Sunday Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio (Tape)

Last edited:
Thankfully Rahal won and no Ganassi car had a chance...otherwise I'd be even more ****ed off about this. :irked: What a bunch of garbage...
There was a point mentioned that it doesn't make sense because Dixon couldn't win. It wasn't about putting Dixon in a better spot on track. Remember who it screwed over? Yeah...Montoya, the points leader. Rahal may have significantly closed the gap, but so did Dixon, which was the goal. I'm not saying for a fact that the spin was deliberate, we don't have what we need to draw the conclusion, but it all pieces together perfectly and smoothly.

Bit of a comparison I need to do here...

When Dixon, Montoya and other frontrunners of IndyCar were demoted to mid-pack due to pit strategy, they still had to work hard for every overtake, and didn't appear to pass that many people on track.

In F1, if a Mercedes has to start from the back or has other issues, it's able to effortlessly plow through the field without facing much resistance, and most likely reaches the podium before the day's over without needing a safety car. (Germany 2014 comes to mind)

I can't say for certain if the spin was deliberate or not without hearing the radio transmissions leading up to the spin (although I'm leaning towards it being deliberate). But I will say that IndyCar needs to seriously look at parking Sage either way as his driving over these last few races has been rather dangerous and they really should have the bar set higher.

A mechanic from another team emailed this writer on Sunday night with this message: "Julian (Robertson of Dixon's team) came running down to Sage's pit and told his guys to tell Karam "the gearbox pressure is rising or the gearbox is getting hot" and two laps later he spins out. That's total B.S. Just like that Clint Bowyer deal in NASCAR a couple years ago."

I'm not buying this as pitroad is far too noisy to hear someone talking normally unless you are right next to them and I can't see anyone being stupid enough to shout something like that.

Bit of a comparison I need to do here...

When Dixon, Montoya and other frontrunners of IndyCar were demoted to mid-pack due to pit strategy, they still had to work hard for every overtake, and didn't appear to pass that many people on track.

In F1, if a Mercedes has to start from the back or has other issues, it's able to effortlessly plow through the field without facing much resistance, and most likely reaches the podium before the day's over without needing a safety car. (Germany 2014 comes to mind)
1) Indycars are all spec chassis and engines.
2) Mid-Ohio is narrow and sinuous, with no Tilke-signature hairpins at the end of long straight for convenient overtaking.

1) Indycars are all spec chassis and engines.
2) Mid-Ohio is narrow and sinuous, with no Tilke-signature hairpins at the end of long straight for convenient overtaking.
The engines aren't really spec. There is a bit of difference between the Chevy and Honda. Both V6T's yes but still. (and isn't the Chevy a single turbo while the Honda is a twin turbo?)

I'm not buying this as pitroad is far too noisy to hear someone talking normally unless you are right next to them and I can't see anyone being stupid enough to shout something like that.
So you are accusing Robin Miller and Racer.com of knowingly printing false information then? The silence from Chip Ganassi racing,Sage's sponsors,and his driver coach Dario is deafening. The only one talking is Sage who talked to Curt Cavin and gave this.

"I think it's kind of absurd that people think I would spin on my own and my team would put my life in danger like that because I spun on the third- or second-fastest turn of the track, over a 100-mph turn," Karam told The Star on Monday. "You can't really plan that stuff.

"I posted a video the day before, actually, in the same turn. I was super loose. It was a very tricky turn, especially (Sunday) because I was at the end of a tire run. I was going to pit that lap and the team radioed to me about pushing (hard) that lap because it was going to be my (pit) lap.

"I was looking down (at computer readings) and I think I lost track of the speed I was carrying into the apex of the turn, and I dropped a wheel (in the grass). My car was loose the whole race. When I dropped the wheel, that was it. I tried to save it and I tried to counter-steer and power out of it, but it ended up (spinning) around and just stalling.

"That's just a spin."
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2015/08/03/sage-karam-says-spin-controversy-absurd/31071587/

I like the part about the "life in danger" I didnt know they raced at Pikes Peak yesterday.:lol:

The best plan in a life threatening situation is to use the Clarkson approach

Hearing NOLA out for 16, shame as it was weather that killed it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back