• 2,138 comments

Do you want a Team GB football team?

• Yes - Full integration

• Yes - A limited one

• I Don't Know

• Indifferent

• No, Not At All

Results are only viewable after voting.
@mustafur - still early days in my opinion, we've came on a lot since the Lincoln game and barring a catastrophic performance at home to Gladbach, we could have had Europa League football after Christmas.

Most important thing is making Europe again. CL would be amazing but squad wise EL is probably our level. Losing Patrick Roberts will be a huge spanner in the works too. :(

@mustafur - still early days in my opinion, we've came on a lot since the Lincoln game and barring a catastrophic performance at home to Gladbach, we could have had Europa League football after Christmas.

Most important thing is making Europe again. CL would be amazing but squad wise EL is probably our level. Losing Patrick Roberts will be a huge spanner in the works too. :(
It's the consistency that makes me say that, and apart from the game at Barcelona didn't look out of place in the champions league, good players from that team will be good players anywhere tbh.

and if you guys start getting proper money for the players you sell you should be able to maintain the quality.

Wow that deal worked out well for everyone. Toronto got rid of a player only there for the money and Sunderland managed to get rid of the legend that is Jozy Altidore.

11 goals in 19 games isn't bad for an unmotivated striker.

Josmer Altidore is down there with Freddy Adu as one of the most overhyped US players. His time in England on both occasions was horrific.

I wish I could animate that with his bronze bust.
Say what you want but I think Celtic this season has been at a Premier league level.
Which Premier League? There's about four different leagues in it these days.

First you have the top three (Chelsea, Spurs, Manchester City), who are just fighting for the top three. Then there's the next four, who are trying to get that last Champions League spot (although in Everton's case, that's wishful thinking). Then there's the mid-six, who are always going to end up with 45-55 points and while they might flirt with danger or have a bad run, they're not going down. That leaves the bottom seven, who'll be relegated, or survive with a game left.

Do you think that Celtic might be as good over a Premier League season as Hull or Middlesbrough? Or do you think Southampton, Stoke and West Brom would be a better level? Arsenal, Everton and Manchester United seems unlikely to me...

I wish I could animate that with his bronze bust.

Which Premier League? There's about four different leagues in it these days.

First you have the top three (Chelsea, Spurs, Manchester City), who are just fighting for the top three. Then there's the next four, who are trying to get that last Champions League spot (although in Everton's case, that's wishful thinking). Then there's the mid-six, who are always going to end up with 45-55 points and while they might flirt with danger or have a bad run, they're not going down. That leaves the bottom seven, who'll be relegated, or survive with a game left.

Do you think that Celtic might be as good over a Premier League season as Hull or Middlesbrough? Or do you think Southampton, Stoke and West Brom would be a better level? Arsenal, Everton and Manchester United seems unlikely to me...
I'll take Option 3, please! :lol:

In all seriousness though, I'd rather see the team competing in Europe decently more than anything. I miss knockout football past the EL last 32. :(

In all seriousness though, I'd rather see the team competing in Europe decently more than anything. I miss knockout football past the EL last 32. :(
I think the problem there is the lack of week-in, week-out challenge and the lack of experience.

First things first, who challenges Celtic... like, ever? They've played 46 domestic games this season and kept clean sheets in 26 of them, only conceding more than one goal three times (and they were all two). When was the last time a team even took the lead against Celtic domestically this season? I mean, I know it happened, but I just don't recall it. By contrast they've scored five or more themselves eight times. They're basically playing like I do in Sensible World of Soccer.

I appreciate that you can only beat what's there, but if you're a national level badminton champion and then exclusively play badminton every week against kids from the local SEN school, you're going to stutter a bit when you play other national level badminton champions. The talent is there, but without the weekly test, the skills won't show compared to others.

It's why Celtic needs a Rangers again - preferably three more of them. Not that it has to be Rangers (or Newco) - it could be Aberdeen, Hearts, Motherwell, Arbroath, or anyone with the same ability to fund expensive transfers and attract high quality players (or, for preference, create their own, for the sake of the national game).

The players Celtic does have are high quality for the Scottish league - no doubt - but they're shy of top level experience.

Leigh Griffiths was bought by a Premier League club, but didn't play for them until they were relegated to League One. Moussa Dembele played for Fulham in the Premier League, but scored none until they were relegated to the Championship. Craig Gordon actually got a load of games in for Sunderland in the brief period where they weren't being relegated, but they did concede 50+ goals while Gordon was number one choice. Scott Sinclair warmed a substitute bench at a number of Premier League clubs, but did get some game time for Wigan (5th bottom), West Brom (4th bottom) and Aston Villa (relegated), aside from the rather decent spell at Swansea in both the Championship and, following promotion, Premier League. Patrick Roberts spent a season at Championship Fulham - and so on.

They commanded some pretty solid transfer fees - Roberts cost Manchester City £12m to not play him - but have little Premier League experience.

And it's a vicious circle. Very high profile players don't (unless they're at the end of their careers, or paid £300k/week) want to go to a club where the week-in, week-out football is easy and there's no chance of European honours, and there's no chance of European honours because the club doesn't have very high profile players.

Ultimately Scotland needs some sugar daddies to take over its clubs, but it's a bloody hard sell because there aren't any already there...

I think the problem there is the lack of week-in, week-out challenge and the lack of experience.

First things first, who challenges Celtic... like, ever? They've played 46 domestic games this season and kept clean sheets in 26 of them, only conceding more than one goal three times (and they were all two). When was the last time a team even took the lead against Celtic domestically this season? I mean, I know it happened, but I just don't recall it. By contrast they've scored five or more themselves eight times. They're basically playing like I do in Sensible World of Soccer.

I appreciate that you can only beat what's there, but if you're a national level badminton champion and then exclusively play badminton every week against kids from the local SEN school, you're going to stutter a bit when you play other national level badminton champions. The talent is there, but without the weekly test, the skills won't show compared to others.

It's why Celtic needs a Rangers again - preferably three more of them. Not that it has to be Rangers (or Newco) - it could be Aberdeen, Hearts, Motherwell, Arbroath, or anyone with the same ability to fund expensive transfers and attract high quality players (or, for preference, create their own, for the sake of the national game).

The players Celtic does have are high quality for the Scottish league - no doubt - but they're shy of top level experience.

Leigh Griffiths was bought by a Premier League club, but didn't play for them until they were relegated to League One. Moussa Dembele played for Fulham in the Premier League, but scored none until they were relegated to the Championship. Craig Gordon actually got a load of games in for Sunderland in the brief period where they weren't being relegated, but they did concede 50+ goals while Gordon was number one choice. Scott Sinclair warmed a substitute bench at a number of Premier League clubs, but did get some game time for Wigan (5th bottom), West Brom (4th bottom) and Aston Villa (relegated), aside from the rather decent spell at Swansea in both the Championship and, following promotion, Premier League. Patrick Roberts spent a season at Championship Fulham - and so on.

They commanded some pretty solid transfer fees - Roberts cost Manchester City £12m to not play him - but have little Premier League experience.

And it's a vicious circle. Very high profile players don't (unless they're at the end of their careers, or paid £300k/week) want to go to a club where the week-in, week-out football is easy and there's no chance of European honours, and there's no chance of European honours because the club doesn't have very high profile players.

Ultimately Scotland needs some sugar daddies to take over its clubs, but it's a bloody hard sell because there aren't any already there...
Yep, fair comments really. Last team to take lead against Celtic was St.Johnstone I believe. Who did it twice this year themselves - more than any other team :lol:

A few things then...

Pep Guardiola's wife and daughter were at the concert at the Manchester Arena last night and both are thankfully safe and well.

Sam Allardyce has told Palace he wants to leave, what's going on there?!

Real Madrid have signed a 16-year-old Brazilian for a reported £38 million!

Defoe has reportedly agreed a free transfer to Bournemouth.

Joy for football fans globally! Never having to listen to the delusional, self important, anti-football Fat Sam Allardyce in a post match interview ever again!

Big Sam goes into retirement to spend more time with his family without feeling the pressure of being a coach.

Re: Celtic, I believe that they're a bunch of players that, for separate, individual reasons, have not fully accounted themselves in the Premier League but would be able to survive under the right manager.

It mostly depends on just how good Dembele actually is, but to me he looks ready for the Premier League and Celtic would be able to get a finish around 13th or 14th with the current squad, IMO.

Re: Celtic, I believe that they're a bunch of players that, for separate, individual reasons, have not fully accounted themselves in the Premier League but would be able to survive under the right manager.

It mostly depends on just how good Dembele actually is, but to me he looks ready for the Premier League and Celtic would be able to get a finish around 13th or 14th with the current squad, IMO.
IIRC, Dembele has missed a good chunk of the season this year. Would love to see him having a fit year next season.

Big Sam goes into retirement to spend more time with his family without feeling the pressure of being a coach.

Maybe he can find ways around Mrs Allerdyce's rules on housework.

For what it's worth, with just the FA cup final and play-offs to go here are this season's managerial departures. Still quite a high number; 48 departures from 92 clubs means once again more than half the teams got rid of someone.

That said, some clubs like Barnet, Leyton Orient, Swansea and Hartlepool have had more than one casualty this season. Which doesn't speak great volumes about job security.

Arsenal - Arsene Wenger
Bournemouth - Eddie Howe
Burnley - Sean Dyche
Chelsea - Antonio Conte
Crystal Palace - Alan Pardew
Everton - Ronald Koeman
Hull City - [Vacant]
Leicester City - Claudio Ranieri
Liverpool - Jürgen Klopp
Manchester City - Josep Guardiola
Manchester United - Jose Mourinho
Middlesbrough - Aitor Karanka
Southampton - Claude Puel
Stoke City - Mark Hughes
Sunderland - David Moyes
Swansea City - Francesco Guidolin
Tottenham Hotspur - Mauro Pochettino
Watford - Walter Mazzarri
West Bromwich Albion - Tony Pulis
West Ham United - Slavan Bilic

Aston Villa - Roberto Di Matteo
Barnsley - Paul Heckinbottom
Birmingham City - Gary Rowett
Blackburn Rovers - Owen Coyle
Brentford - Dean Smith
Brighton & Hove Albion - Chris Hughton
Bristol City - Lee Johnson
Burton Albion - Nigel Clough
Cardiff City - Paul Trollope
Derby County - Nigel Pearson
Fulham - Slavisa Jokanovic
Huddersfield Town - David Wagner
Ipswich Town - Mick McCarthy
Leeds United - Garry Monk
Newcastle United - Rafa Benitez
Norwich City - Alex Neill
Nottingham Forest - Phillippe Montanier
Preston North End - Simon Grayson
Queen's Park Rangers - Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
Reading - Jaap Staam
Rotherham United - Alan Stubbs
Sheffield Wednesday - Carlos Carvahal
Wigan Athletic - Gary Caldwell
Wolverhampton Wanderers - Walter Zenga

Bolton Wanderers - Phil Parkinson
Bradford City - Stuart McCall
Bristol Rovers - Darrell Clarke
Bury - David Flitcroft
Charlton Athletic - Russell Slade
Chesterfield - Danny Wilson
Coventry City - Tony Mowbray
Fleetwood Town - Uwe Rösler
Gillingham - Justin Edinburgh
Millwall - Neil Harris
Milton Keynes Dons - Karl Robinson
Northampton Town - Rob Page
Oldham Athletic - Stephen Robinson
Oxford United - Michael Appleton
Peterborough United - Grant McCann
Port Vale - Bruno Ribiero
Rochdale - Keith Hill
Scunthorpe United - Graham Alexander
Sheffield United - Chris Wilder
Shrewsbury Town - Mickey Mellon
Southend United - Phil Brown
Swindon Town - Luke Williams
Walsall - Jon Witney
Wimbledon - Neal Ardley

Accrington Stanley - John Coleman
Barnet - Martin Allen
Blackpool - Gary Bowyer
Cambridge United - Shaun Derry
Carlisle United - Keith Curle
Cheltenham Town - Gary Johnson
Colchester United - John McGreal
Crawley Town - Dermot Drummy
Crewe Alexandra - Steve Davis
Doncaster Rovers - Darren Ferguson
Exeter City - Paul Tisdale
Grimsby Town - Paul Hurst
Hartlepool United - Craig Hignett
Leyton Orient - Andy Hessenthaler
Luton Town - Nathan Jones
Mansfield Town - Adam Murray
Morcambe - Jim Bentley
Newport County - Warren Feeney
Notts County - John Sheridan
Plymouth Argyle - Derek Adams
Portsmouth - Paul Cook
Stevenage - Darren Sarll
Wycombe Wanderers - Gareth Ainsworth
Yeovil Town - Darren Way

26th September - Andy Hessenthaler (Leyton Orient, sacked) League Two
28th September - Warren Feeney (Newport County, sacked) League Two
29th September - Tony Mowbray (Coventry City, resigned) League One

3rd October - Roberto Di Matteo (Aston Villa, sacked) Championship
3rd October - Francesco Guidolin (Swansea City, sacked) Premier League
4th October - Paul Trollope (Cardiff City, sacked) Championship
6th October - Mickey Mellon (Shrewsbury Town, resigned - leaves for Tranmere Rovers) League One
8th October - Nigel Pearson (Derby County, sacked) Championship
19th October - Alan Stubbs (Rotherham United, sacked) Championship
23rd October - Karl Robinson (Milton Keynes Dons, resigned) League One
24th October - Paul Hurst (Grimsby Town, resigned - leaves for Shrewsbury Town) League Two
25th October - Walter Zenga (Wolverhampton Wanderers, sacked) Championship

5th November - Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (Queen's Park Rangers, sacked) Championship
14th November - Russell Slade (Charlton Athletic, sacked) Championship
14th November - Adam Murray (Mansfield Town, resigned) League Two
16th November - David Flitcroft (Bury, sacked) League One
23rd November - Alberto Cavasin (Leyton Orient, sacked) League Two
28th November - Kenny Jackett (Rotherham United, resigned) Championship

1st December - Martin Allen (Barnet, resigned) League Two
14th December - Gary Rowett (Birmingham City, sacked) Championship
22nd December - Alan Pardew (Crystal Palace, sacked) Premier League
26th December - Bruno Ribiero (Port Vale, resigned) League One
27th December - Bob Bradley (Swansea City, sacked) Premier League

2nd January - John Sheridan (Notts County, sacked) League Two
3rd January - Justin Edinburgh (Gillingham, sacked) League One
3rd January - Mike Phelan (Hull City, sacked) Premier League
8th January - Danny Wilson (Chesterfield, sacked) League One
9th January - Robert Page (Northampton Town, sacked) League One
12th January - Stephen Robinson (Oldham Athletic, sacked) League One
14th January - Philippe Montanier (Nottingham Forest, sacked) Championship
15th January - Craig Hignett (Hartlepool United, sacked) League Two

21st February - Owen Coyle (Blackburn Rovers, sacked) Championship
23rd February - Claudio Ranieri (Leciester, sacked) Premier League

5th March - Russell Slade (Coventry City, sacked) League One
9th March - Graham Westley (Newport County, sacked) League Two
10th March - Alex Neil (Norwich City, sacked) Championship
12th March - Steve McClaren (Derby County, sacked) Championship
13th March - Warren Joyce (Wigan Athletic, sacked) Championship
16th March - Aitor Karanka (Middlesbrough, sacked) Premier League
30th March - Danny Webb (Leyton Orient, resigned) League Two

10th April - Marcus Bignot (Grimsby Town, sacked) League Two
15th April - Kevin Nugent (Barnet, sacked) League Two
17th April - Gianfranco Zola (Birmingham City, resigned) Championship
25th April - Dave Jones (Hartlepool United, sacked) League Two

4th May - Dermot Drummy (Crawley Town, sacked) League Two
21st May - Walter Mazzarri (Watford, resigned) Premier League
22nd May - David Moyes (Sunderland, resigned) Premier League
24th May - Sam Allerdyce (Crystal Palace, resigned) Premier League

Sackings: 35
Resignations: 13

Total: 48

Last edited:
Hartlepool
I think Hartlepool take the most ludicrous sackings award from Birmingham, but really only just.

They sacked Hignett with the club 19th on 27pt (P26 W6 D9 L11; 23%, 1.04pt/game).
The caretaker Sam Collins won his only game in charge.
They sacked Jones with the club 23rd on 40pt (P17 W3 D4 L10; 18%, 0.76pt/game).

Neither sacking made that much sense. Hignett was doing okay, but not brilliantly, in a difficult club which had finished the previous season in 16th. Jones's sacking with two games left - one of which was the crucial relegation playoff with Cheltenham (even a draw would have kept Pool up) - was mental.

Incidentally, Garry Monk has just resigned as Leeds manager, so that's 49 :lol:

Edit: Yep - literally as I was writing this post! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40046074

Looks like Garry Monk is heading to Middlesbrough....

Man City and Man United both donate £1 million to the Manchester bombing victims fund.

Marco Silva to leave Hull.

City released a few players today, and #ThankYouWilly and #ThankYouJesus have been trending because of it.:lol:

Zabaleta is signing for West Ham.

Marco Silva has left Hull, didn't fancy managing in the Championship and wants a job in the Premier League, he has been linked to the vacant position at Porto, I think he started well but then got found out and on the last day his Hull team got hammered 1-7 by Spurs

Quite a few clubs without managers right now!

City released a few players today, and #ThankYouWilly and #ThankYouJesus have been trending because of it.:lol:

Zabaleta is signing for West Ham.
Thought they'd release Gabriel Jesus for a moment then. This City is only big enough for one Jesus.

You might be in look as Roberts is probably pushed down the pecking order today, City look like their about to sign Bernardo Silva, which makes it quite likely that two of Sane, Sterling and Jesus are on the bench, absolutely insane depth.

They also look like signing Benjamin Mendy, who plays in a position City actually need.

As anyone can predict, the transfer fees between a rich club who need to buy and a rich club who have no need to sell are absolutely astronomical. €50 mil plus €20 mil add ons for Silva, and €54 mil(!) for Mendy.

Marco Silva in advanced talks with Watford.

There are a couple of Football tournaments taking place in the Summer, there's the Euro U21 Championship and the Confederations Cup, ill start threads on both on Sunday.

Latest Posts

Back