2016 Audi R8

• Thread starter GTboyz
  • 272 comments
I never really liked the way that the out-going R8 looked, and that development mule doesn't really look that much different to the old one.

RWD Audi? I don't see that happening.

The RWD Gallardo happened, and it shares the platform with the current first gen R8. With the 2nd gen being based on the Huracan's platform, there might be a possibilty, even if it's slim.

The RWD Gallardo happened, and it shares the platform with the current first gen R8. With the 2nd gen being based on the Huracan's platform, there might be a possibilty, even if it's slim.
Yes it's possible, but Audi has been using Quattro so long that I just don't think that they will go to RWD platform anymore.

When, in the last 20 years, has Audi built a RWD road car? And their entire performance "thing" is quattro. Literally, BMW has M, Mercedes has AMG, and Audi has quattro. They won't do it, it makes no sense. It would be like AMG making an SLS that was disassociated from AMG.

When, in the last 20 years, has Audi built a RWD road car? And their entire performance "thing" is quattro. Literally, BMW has M, Mercedes has AMG, and Audi has quattro. They won't do it, it makes no sense. It would be like AMG making an SLS that was disassociated from AMG.

*points to Subaru's BRZ*

Considering the R8 has a successful RWD racer in the form of the LMS, it'd be an easier proposition from a marketing perspective to release a rear-drive R8 than what Subaru had on its hands with the BRZ.

Also, quattro GmbH =/= quattro the badge.

Considering the R8 has a successful RWD racer in the form of the LMS, it'd be an easier proposition from a marketing perspective to release a rear-drive R8 than what Subaru had on its hands with the BRZ.
You also need to consider that Audi use the R18 eTron Quattro in marketing media at any opportunity. If their most well known motorsport exploits involve Quattro, they are going to want to make a point of that in their road cars.

I think that if they intended to keep things relevant then it's possible that they'll produce a version of the next R8 with a rear-driven ICE complimented by electrically driven fronts. Given that the Lamborghini Asterion employs a similar (ish) system, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that they might go down that route with the R8 at some point.

*points to Subaru's BRZ*

In fairness, its sorta been forced to be a rear-wheel drive car since Sports car Racing disallows All-wheel Drive most of the time (which is why the Gallardo GT3 has also been RWD).

That said, I think there could be potential for a Rear Wheel Drive R8.

Last edited:
Last gen Gallardo had RWD variants (and no, not just the Balboni), but the Audi R8 didn't.

Just because they do something to the Huracan, doesn't mean the R8 will get it.

As long it doesn't look like this i am fine :)

Audi-Rosemeyer_1968652i.jpg
svomit_100-116.gif

*points to Subaru's BRZ*

To call the BRZ a Subaru is not really true, the entire project was dictated by Toyota and Subaru did it in return that they could have a Subaru version when they make the engines for both(in other words it's a Toyota With a Subaru engine).

Also the Audi R8/Lamborghini Gallardo whilst having RWD versions are on a car made for AWD but with a RWD based System.

This is actually a big change from the other Quattros which are all FWD based, but would make sense since it's mid engined.

Back