2016 F1 Constructor tech info/development thread. (READ 1ST POST)Formula 1 

No their shouldn't, they played the smarter game, and everyone else had the chance to do the same. Especially the group that drew the short end after having a great start to the race.
I'm not basing this off race results. I'm basing this off the idea that Mercedes have an incredible amount of resources and basically grind through twice as much as everyone else.

I'm not basing this off race results. I'm basing this off the idea that Mercedes have an incredible amount of resources and basically grind through twice as much as everyone else.

I'm not seeing it, they didn't do multiple changes on the engine and from what I read basically ran the same engine during the test. Teams request tires and have a strategy to play, RBR, McLaren, Ferrari could have easily done the same. The engine has been bullet proof since 2014 and is an evolution on that so what extra resources are at play? They played the smarter game, and win because of it. Ferrari want to return to form then do the same thing and don't play around with fast laps as if it will get into the psyche of Mercedes.

Not that it's significantly more then every other team, everyone had the opportunity to test what they wanted.

Williams also did the vast majority of their testing on the Medium.

Do you even read my posts?

I said that there should be a mileage limit; you're free to do whatever you like, but once you hit the limit, testing is over.

2009 brought us the limit of 15,000 km and Mercedes didn't get close to it, and ever since then the number of allowed tests have been cut each year. Not to count the fact that wind tunnel hours have seen dramatic cuts and so has the amount of stored data. The FPs on Friday are already used as testing sessions to begin with, if a team can't deal with all these limits and work around they shouldn't be on an F1 grid and should probably be racing in a more suitable environment that supports their bottom line.

So in reality what do you really want cause your proposals wouldn't actually do what I feel it is you're trying to get at which is a balancing act in the guise of "cost cutting"

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom...lysis---ferraris-rear-diffuser-evolution.html
image1.img.1536.medium.jpg

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom...6/4/analysis---williams-new-shorter-nose.html

So here's some side by side comparisons for 2017 to 2016, in technical drawings. Now what strikes me the most is the increased barge boards and front wing, along with the floor. It's a bit amazing, the lower wing that we were all aware of reminds me a bit of late 00s and even the 90s.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/05/10/side-side-compare-f1-cars-2016-2017/

Also FI are to have a big update this weekend but I haven't seen it yet in the first practice.

Interesting piece from Matk Hughes in the Barcelona qualifying pre-show: Mercedes have developed a system they call "turbulent jet injection" for their engines. It has a smaller fuel chamber at the very top of the main chamber. The spark plug ignites the fuel in this mini-chamber, which then ignites the fuel in the main chamber by way of a series of smaller perforations in the barrier between the two. This allows the team greater control over the fuel ignition in the main chamber; it spreads the burning of the fuel more evenly, and therefore more effectively and by extension, more efficiently.

Mercedes were using this 'new' TJI system as early as 2014. Ferrari have their own version & Renault will be debuting it on their engines, as well as those of the rebranded form in the Red Bulls, at the Canadian round. Renault expect it to provide another 30 BHP.
It provides a more precisely controlled, bigger bang in the combustion phase for less fuel burnt/used.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/ferraris-formula-1-jet-ignition

Williams running a radical rear wing at the post-Barcelona test:

Alex-Lynn-Williams-344x223.png

It's illegal under the current regulations, but Williams reckon that it helps them better-understand their race-spec design.

The cost of that could probably put me through college, and they're putting it n the car because it 'might' help them understand the car better. :lol:

Most teams used to use a double or triple layered rear wing on high downforce circuits like Monaco. I'm not sure precisely when it fell into disuse or was prohibited; 1997 at the earliest but then you have the infamous Arrows cockpit wing from 2001 too...

dd5ac5a68f9f62b0a9d5682f12fea1c2.jpg

toleman1984sennamonaco0ln4.jpg

michele_alboreto__monaco_1994__by_f1_history-d6amwq6.jpg

It's 2017 news... but the "halo" is to be introduced in 2017. Development of "aeroscreen" will continue with a view to its introduction in 2018.

BBC
Formula 1 is to introduce the ‘halo’ driver head protection device in 2017.

Technical chiefs have decided the device, which forms a protective structure in front of and above the driver’s head, is the more ready of the two alternative options.

But work will continue on the ‘aeroscreen’ championed by Red Bull with a view to introducing it in 2018.

A modified version of the ‘halo’, which was first run by Ferrari pre-season, will be tested in June ahead of planned final agreement in July.

Latest Posts

Back