2016 F1 Constructor tech info/development thread. (READ 1ST POST)Formula 1 

There's talk of regulations that would force engine manufacturers to make their engines available to a minimum number of teams if they are capable of supplying more than one yeam. They won't be forced to supply multiple teams, of course; it will be down to the teams themselves as to which manufacturer they get their engines from. But the proposed regulation is designed to stop teams from blocking other teams from getting their engines because there has been grumbling about the balance of performance between the engines used by works teams and the engines supplied to customers. There have been accusations that Mercedes have deliberately prevented their customers from competing with their works team by supplying a different specification of engine. If the FIA can enforce a balance of performance between works and customer engines, then the regulation obligating manufacturers to supply multiple teams if that is possible (and such a supply chain would be a condition of entry) is a way of closing off a loophole that would limit the ability of other teams to compete.

In this case, Hill is only advocating for Williams to join Honda in 2017 if Honda produce a better engine this year.

The same claims were aimed at Ferrari as well, but as explained prior and why the factory team always out does the supplied teams is due to information, and not difference in power between like engines. Mercedes builds engines and their factory constructor gets them knowing perfectly before hand what it is fully capable of, dimensions to build a car around it and so on. Williams, Lotus and FI don't get this nor should they. Then there is the issue of specialized lubricants that supposedly get team 50+ hp (if I remember correctly) and that is usually factory only, such as Ferrari and Shell or Petronas and Merc. Williams from what I've seen never ran Petronas and used Petrobas with Merc PUs and not to count the fact that they run their own transmissions and KERS built in house by Williams. All of this formulates into something that is significantly different to the factory.

It's always easier to mount claims of "well we're just getting under powered engines and that's why we're not strong enough". Time and time again Merc was shown to have a better balance than the past couple FWs and still had a good low down force set up as well. So who is to blame for poor chassis pairing? I mean if Williams were actually given under powered units they wouldn't be challenging for Podium in both 2014 and 2015. Also I hate to say it but their drivers aren't nearly as good as the duo at Mercedes and RBR or Vettel at Ferrari so that also plays a factor. It also goes back to what you've said, teams have too much say.

As for Hill, that doesn't explain what benefit he sees them getting that outweighs not staying with Mercedes, especially when Honda already has a works team and will have one then.

There's talk of regulations that would force engine manufacturers to make their engines available to a minimum number of teams if they are capable of supplying more than one yeam. They won't be forced to supply multiple teams, of course; it will be down to the teams themselves as to which manufacturer they get their engines from. But the proposed regulation is designed to stop teams from blocking other teams from getting their engines because there has been grumbling about the balance of performance between the engines used by works teams and the engines supplied to customers. There have been accusations that Mercedes have deliberately prevented their customers from competing with their works team by supplying a different specification of engine. If the FIA can enforce a balance of performance between works and customer engines, then the regulation obligating manufacturers to supply multiple teams if that is possible (and such a supply chain would be a condition of entry) is a way of closing off a loophole that would limit the ability of other teams to compete.

In this case, Hill is only advocating for Williams to join Honda in 2017 if Honda produce a better engine this year.

Simple way to ensure parity (at the start of the season at least) is for the FIA to demand every engine for the year is bench tested to ensure its running to the manufacturer spec. Then those engines are allocated at random between each team, including the works teams. No point Mercedes-Benz making a rubbish engine if there's a very real chance they'll be made to use it.

As for 'reverse' drs, something like active Aero in the bends could help? Costs would be high though. Easiest and cheapest solution is to allow full underbody diffusers (R+D is basically done already). Cars can run closer together without losing grip and with the smooth circuits F1 now visits damage to the undertray or porpoising over bumps would be minimal.

The same claims were aimed at Ferrari as well
The implications of the current suggestion is that customer teams are getting a different specification of engine to begin with, and that even if they had knowledge of the dimensions in advance and used the preferred fuel, there would still be an imbalance in power. It seems that the customer teams acknowledge that there is always going to be a degree of difference between the works and customer engines, but right now, that difference is too great to be explained by "more information". A customer team should be able to buy an engine that is capable of winning races; whether or not they actually can win should come down to the quality of their chassis. Evidently some teams - and I would hazard a guess to say it's Williams and Force India - feel that they have a quality chassis, but are unable to fulfil its potential because of the engines they are getting.

As for Hill, that doesn't explain what benefit he sees them getting that outweighs not staying with Mercedes, especially when Honda already has a works team and will have one then.
Hill evidently feels that as good as the Mercedes engine is, it's holding the team back. He no doubt thinks that Williams have a stronger chassis than McLaren, and that given that the McLaren-Honda relationship is structured differently to other works teams, Honda won't care who is winning so long as they are winning.

That's been confirmed for February 21.

As much as I loved the black and red livery, I hope to see it change a little bit colour-wise.
I hope they change it up too. Their 2015 livery looked like a test car....maybe that's what they were going for :lol: Other than a couple exceptions, I've never been a huge fan of black racecars for some reason, so I hope they go with something a little more colorful.

Not that this will surprise anyone I'd think, but the new Sauber (C35) wont be seen until the Final test, which leads me to assume (unless FI have issues again) that they will be only team to probably struggle or feel "testing the new car isn't all that important" of the 2016 season. Since former big name designer from Ferrari is now at Manor, that would lead me to believe that Manor finally has some money to bank roll them far enough to not have the same issues as last season.

CZAUiUQWYAE0I3e.jpg

Well I know, and I like it. Good blend of what early 90s liveries had and late 2000s Renault all in one. Pretty cool. Now let's hope that Maldonado's drive isn't as secured as is being reported lately.

It looks like it could be used in a cassette tape commercial. That does make it a bit cool.

Ferrari did a countdown for a minigame type thing that gives people access to their livestream of their car launch? I hope it brings them all the bad luck this year.
Monsters. How dare they try and address one of the major criticisms of the sport by promoting a greater level of fan involvement!

Now let's hope that Maldonado's drive isn't as secured as is being reported lately.
Unlikely. Call me a cynic, but these rumours come up so regularly that you can set your watch by them. PDVSA is very attractive as a sponsor because they pay in full and up front. I'd say that the most likely thing that happened is that they chose to wait this time to see how the Renault deal played out.

Greater fan involvement, and then once the season starts, they're the ones that want the fans nowhere near their sight. They can't have it both ways.

McLaren hinting at a red and blue livery on Twitter.

Can only be linked to a new title sponsor's corporate colour, surely? Pepsi? Citi Group?

AJ
McLaren hinting at a red and blue livery on Twitter.

Can only be linked to a new title sponsor's corporate colour, surely? Pepsi? Citi Group?

I don't know if it's against F1 rules, but how awesome would it be if the two McLarens were different...1 blue, one red. Or mirrors of one another.

I've never really understood why F1 insist on having both team cars the exact same save for the little camera on top.

AJ
Same here, however what makes me thi...............wait a minute.......red..........and blue......red and blue........blue and red......red and blue makes.......... @Famine ..........did you per chance happen come into £32,999,999 on Saturday?

f1-proposed-2017-f1-design-2015-proposed-2017-f1-design.jpg
@Famine has bought the whole car, just like Philip Morris and Ferrari.

I don't know if it's against F1 rules, but how awesome would it be if the two McLarens were different...1 blue, one red. Or mirrors of one another.

You are 17 years behind my friend.

bar3.jpg

And here was the compromise;

BAR1999.jpg

I've never really understood why F1 insist on having both team cars the exact same save for the little camera on top.
Yeah I wish they'd allow two different liveries as well.

Ferrari did a countdown for a minigame type thing that gives people access to their livestream of their car launch? I hope it brings them all the bad luck this year.

Ya, let's wish bad luck on the only team with a real shot at making the upcoming season interesting, simply for trying to reach out to fan :rolleyes: smdh.

Back