2016 F1 Constructor tech info/development thread. (READ 1ST POST)Formula 1 

I've never really understood why F1 insist on having both team cars the exact same save for the little camera on top.
Bernie likes consistency, and he feels that identical liveries make a team look more professional. I have to say that I agree with that - I have never liked rotating liveries. Swapping sponsors while keeping design the same is okay, but not entire liveries. I just wish teams would get over dark blue.

Still, in terms colour variety, 2016 is looking good. We have red (Ferrari), silver (Mercedes), white (Williams), dark blue/purple (Red Bull), light(er) blue (Sauber), black (McLaren) and yellow (Renault). Now we just need green and orange.

Last edited:
Ya, let's wish bad luck on the only team with a real shot at making the upcoming season interesting, simply for trying to reach out to fan :rolleyes: smdh.
If Ferrari want to actually put effort into fan interaction, then they need to do it more than just once a year, for the launch of their new car.

Monsters. How dare they try and address one of the major criticisms of the sport by promoting a greater level of fan involvement!

Unlikely. Call me a cynic, but these rumours come up so regularly that you can set your watch by them. PDVSA is very attractive as a sponsor because they pay in full and up front. I'd say that the most likely thing that happened is that they chose to wait this time to see how the Renault deal played out.

The only reason it was brought up is because PDVSA didn't pay what they owe Lotus/Renault, and due to that the increase in talk about his seat came about. With K-Mag being the new owner if it did come to pass. I mean I know this is more for the other thread, but I'm looking at this from the sponsorship aspect and money train that kept Lotus in the fight at times. However, this does explain the woes with money they faced while having such a major sponsor.

Bernie likes consistency, and he feels that identical liveries make a team look more professional. I have to say that I agree with that - I have never liked rotating liveries. Swapping sponsors while keeping design the same is okay, but not entire liveries. I just wish teams would get over dark blue.

Still, in terms colour variety, 2016 is looking good. We have red (Ferrari), silver (Mercedes), white (Williams), dark blue/purple (Red Bull), light(er) blue (Sauber), black (McLaren) and yellow (Renault). Now we just need green and orange.
I agree about the rotating liveries every couple of races like NASCAR, that's not my cup of tea. I meant just have the two cars be different from each other, but still consistent for the whole season.

The best example I can think off of the top of my head is the Penske cars in NASCAR. Nothing about the specific liveries, just the way that all the team cars are similar, but different. Actually a better looking example would be the factory BMWs from the IMSA GTLM class, where one was white and one was black, but they shared the same red and blue stipes. It still looks very professional and clean.

I wouldn't necessarily be in favor of having team cars be completely different from one another, like say some of the V8SC teams...but at the same time, for some of the smaller teams, could that open up opportunities to bring in more sponsors and more revenue?

I get the cars mixed up all the time when I'm watching. Even the commentators get mixed up almost once a race weekend. Then they could get rid of the silly "can't change your helmet" rule too.

All that said, maybe F1 is too much of a team sport for unique liveries, and I just need to get some glasses :lol:

If Ferrari want to actually put effort into fan interaction, then they need to do it more than just once a year, for the launch of their new car.
:lol: If you say so boss!

They have to start somewhere, no?

And even then do it better, I followed the link you posted and did what Ferrari asked of me and then come to find out you have to spread the word so much in social media that you place in the highest ten of people to do this, and only then can you hope to see the car. So really you do a favor for Ferrari publicity and not the other way around as them doing a favor for us.

I agree with you, it was more than a joke.

@twitcher They were the ones that started the online release of cars but each year do it differently and make it more of a hassle, if anything they're going back a step each year. In other words they started long ago, and should be the best group at it...but aren't.

At least the others make it more enticing and build up the anticipation.

Then they could get rid of the silly "can't change your helmet" rule too.
Is no-one satisfied? Everyone used to whinge and complain at Vettel changing his design every other race (although I am led to believe that he gave the race-winning helmets away or auctioned them off and donated the proceeds to charity), and now they complain that drivers can't change.

Is no-one satisfied? Everyone used to whinge and complain at Vettel changing his design every other race (although I am led to believe that he gave the race-winning helmets away or auctioned them off and donated the proceeds to charity), and now they complain that drivers can't change.

Eh, not gonna name names, but the same thing is done with drivers. Everyone hated Vettel when he was winning and now that he is the dark horse he's beloved, and Hamilton is far more hated. This was reversed back in 2012 and prior.

Point is the F1 fan community is a fickle group, damned if you do and damned if you don't type feel. Hell they want it both ways as much as a Factory winning F1 team.

Eh, not gonna name names, but the same thing is done with drivers. Everyone hated Vettel when he was winning and now that he is the dark horse he's beloved, and Hamilton is far more hated. This was reversed back in 2012 and prior.

Point is the F1 fan community is a fickle group, damned if you do and damned if you don't type feel. Hell they want it both ways as much as a Factory winning F1 team.
Well, since joining Ferrari Vettel has become more pleasant and likeable in general. But yes otherwise I agree with that post.

Everyone hated Vettel when he was winning and now that he is the dark horse he's beloved, and Hamilton is far more hated.
It goes back to my theory of the Beer Test: you're down at the pub when who should you see, but a Formula 1 driver. You offer to buy him a pint and he accepts, but he's had a bad day and doesn't want to talk about motorsport. So, which driver is it? (For me, Jenson Button.)

I think we're in an age where we look for more than just skill in a driver. We want to be able to relate to them, to see them as ordinary people capable of extraordinary things. In the case of Vettel, it was easy to dismiss his titles as being down to the car and his relationship with the team - but then he moved to Ferrari and without so much as batting en eyelid, started doing exactly what he was doing at Red Bull. In turn, I think people revisited his titles - particularly 2010 and 2012 when he really had to work for it - and asked themselves whether it really was all down to the team and the car.

As for Hamilton, I think that it was @Famine who once said that he seems more interested in the lifestyle of an R&B star than being a racing driver. In terms of his attitude and personality, he has been on the backslide; remember in 2007, when he was shaking hands and hugging everyone before getting into the car? Compare that to 2011 when he clearly didn't respect any of the other drivers except for Button. And now in 2015, he clearly doesn't care much for Nico Rosberg. He seems to live most of his public life in the tabloids, and of course, I see a lot of bias in his favour in the British press. You can acknowledge his talent, but I think people struggle to respect the man under the helmet.

@twitcher They were the ones that started the online release of cars but each year do it differently and make it more of a hassle, if anything they're going back a step each year. In other words they started long ago, and should be the best group at it...but aren't.

At least the others make it more enticing and build up the anticipation.
Meh, it's the release of the car, I don't see what the big deal is. We'll all see it in Melbourne anyways. My main point was that I don't understand wishing a season of bad luck for how they unveil the car, something which has nothing to do with racing.

I was definitely not one of the people who was in favor of the fixed helmet rule. I liked seeing all the different designs.

Some people used to complain about Vettel's helmet. I'm willing to bet it was a vocal minority, and that most of them were just haters who didn't actually give a crap about the helmet, but just wanted something to whinge about.

It goes back to my theory of the Beer Test: you're down at the pub when who should you see, but a Formula 1 driver. You offer to buy him a pint and he accepts, but he's had a bad day and doesn't want to talk about motorsport. So, which driver is it? (For me, Jenson Button.)

I think we're in an age where we look for more than just skill in a driver. We want to be able to relate to them, to see them as ordinary people capable of extraordinary things. In the case of Vettel, it was easy to dismiss his titles as being down to the car and his relationship with the team - but then he moved to Ferrari and without so much as batting en eyelid, started doing exactly what he was doing at Red Bull. In turn, I think people revisited his titles - particularly 2010 and 2012 when he really had to work for it - and asked themselves whether it really was all down to the team and the car.

As for Hamilton, I think that it was @Famine who once said that he seems more interested in the lifestyle of an R&B star than being a racing driver. In terms of his attitude and personality, he has been on the backslide; remember in 2007, when he was shaking hands and hugging everyone before getting into the car? Compare that to 2011 when he clearly didn't respect any of the other drivers except for Button. And now in 2015, he clearly doesn't care much for Nico Rosberg. He seems to live most of his public life in the tabloids, and of course, I see a lot of bias in his favour in the British press. You can acknowledge his talent, but I think people struggle to respect the man under the helmet.

Yeah but Nico would sell his own mother at times for a WDC, and seems as corporate and robotic as they come and goes full melt down when Hamilton really lays it on. I will agree, that the end of the season showed that Hamilton can easily just give up the ghost, but then again you have to admit the team didn't fully allow him to make the risks he wanted to try and win.

As for Button he seems liked for his low key and sage like comments on the state of the sport he plays in, Hamilton has done it too but now days with every tabloid and media interested in his life style and celebrity status (they all have it) this washes out what he's done and who he can be as a person. Sure the Fashion and Fame can be annoying but it doesn't detract that he does philanthropist charity work just like Vettel and others, and like others he just doesn't make it widely known. To me the guy isn't that bad and I'd say his worst moments were 2011 when he had a falling out with his dad and was in a dead end relationship with a washed up pop star. If he wasn't in it for the racing still he'd have easily lost to Nico some time ago. He lives for the battle, but like so many others that are at the top of their hill, they seek out multiple things to conquer.

Also as for Vettel (then I'll stop talking about my views on current F1 drivers and get back to business), he was as funny and outgoing back when he was winning with RBR as he is now. Having a couple of kids (or is it just one?) hasn't stopped him and the things people like about him now they could have easily liked then, if it weren't for a blue car winning every other GP weekend.

Meh, it's the release of the car, I don't see what the big deal is. We'll all see it in Melbourne anyways. My main point was that I don't understand wishing a season of bad luck for how they unveil the car, something which has nothing to do with racing.

The big deal is that, fans of F1 basically clamor around waiting for the moment the new cars are released, knowing they'll be different and wishing for something radical and memorable. It's seeing F1 history unfold and knowing where it begins and fans really get into it, and Ferrari exploited and easy way to do this by having live releases for years now, the problem is now they're making you do your end and make sure everyone knows it before hand.

Also I took the comment from him as tongue in cheek and not actually wishing that the tires come off Kimi's car (see how I picked the driver carefully :sly:) going into turn one at Melbourne.

@catamount39 How so? Read the last section of my post in response to PM on Vettel, then ask yourself "did I hate Vettel cause he was always winning and seemed unbeatable with RBR? Even when he made a witty joke or spoke his mind on the podium?" or "did I hate Vettel cause media around F1 always made him out to be the villain that would rob and blind side Webber, and the Turkish GP of 2010 and the Malaysian gp of 2013 helped solidify this?"

Once you've done that you'll see that the only thing that has changed from then to now is two things, the team he races with, and his team mate. I guess the factor of dominance too but still that goes in with the team portion.

Last edited:

I do agree with the Hamilton theory which is why I'm really going off of him. I think it happened for me when he was booked for the Sunday at Goodwood last year. He was World Champion so many people especially kids were probably looking forward to seeing him but he didn't turn up because he was on stage at Glastonbury, especially as he keeps trying to thank the fans. I'll support Lewis as a Brit and for his driving talent but as a person I don't like him.

SPECULATION ARGH

It's probably just a livery change since the Marussia backing is long gone now and maybe some confirmation on drivers, but it's nice to see Manor are still going.

Also, this is the right thread for constructor news, right?

Lots of speculative news on Motorsport.com regarding a bunch of potential changes.

-fan vote for driver of the day and move of the day
-pit stop award
-stewards to relax on handing out penalties
-V6 turbo hybrids staying until 2020, with no independent customer engine

SPECULATION ARGH

It's probably just a livery change since the Marussia backing is long gone now and maybe some confirmation on drivers, but it's nice to see Manor are still going.

Also, this is the right thread for constructor news, right?

They have other financial backers now, and if you read my prior comments on them in this thread they also have former Ferrari car designer Tombazis. And with the help of the technical collaboration with Mercedes (look at last seasons thread for more info), there is much more confidence now that team are going to be okay and are looking to move forward on the grid.

I'd be far more worried about Sauber than I would of Manor at the moment, and to be honest it should be a battle between them Sauber and Haas.

Also this is the correct place to post the info you have.

CZAUiUQWYAE0I3e.jpg
I have seen speculation that suggests Renault's actual livery will be closer to the Renault e.dams "throw a bucket of yellow paint at the car and then drive around until it dries" design.

Always. That's all that site is.
It's a shame, because Jon Noble was good when he was Grand Prix editor for Autosport.

I have seen speculation that suggests Renault's actual livery will be closer to the Renault e.dams "throw a bucket of yellow paint at the car and then drive around until it dries" design.
Update: the speculation appears to be based on Gene Haas' statements that he wants a yellow livery.

Because if Haas has a predominantly-yellow livery, Renault will want something to differentiate them. It would also bring the Formula 1 and Formula E teams in line with one another, and it will make life easier for the stewards when Maldonado and Gutiérrez collide.

I could see that, a yellow and potentially red accents car being distinguished by a lapis blue and yellow car.

Back