2016 F1 Constructor tech info/development thread. (READ 1ST POST)Formula 1 

@Dennisch - Jean Todt has said that he won't sign off on additional head protection until he is convinced that it does not present any safety hazards. For example, the halo device could puncture a helmet if damaged.

Meanwhile, Ferrari's 2016 car has also passed its crazh tests.

Pat Fry has been announced as a consultant to Manor.

Meanwhile in France, the wet weather tire that was tested today.

279286.jpg

@Dennisch - Jean Todt has said that he won't sign off on additional head protection until he is convinced that it does not present any safety hazards. For example, the halo device could puncture a helmet if damaged.

Meanwhile, Ferrari's 2016 car has also passed its crazh tests.

Pat Fry has been announced as a consultant to Manor.

I can see that happen with the front upright being chopped off and poke itself through the visor.

85 laps for the McLaren Honda at this stage? Impressive. 👍

Lose the Infiniti logos and the purple goes away? I prefer the original RB look on the F1 car anyway.
Purple was an Infinity thing. But I agree, I missed the original Red Bull F1 paint. Good to have it back. :D

Lose the Infiniti logos and the purple goes away? I prefer the original RB look on the F1 car anyway.
They have already confirmed a separate livery launch ahead of the first dry-running test, so this is probably just an interim thing.

I can see that happen with the front upright being chopped off and poke itself through the visor.
I think that's one of the concerns. Eventually, there comes a point of diminishing returns; sure, Safety Device A protects the driver's head, but there are potentially unintended consequences that will put the driver at risk in other ways.

I think that's one of the concerns. Eventually, there comes a point of diminishing returns; sure, Safety Device A protects the driver's head, but there are potentially unintended consequences that will put the driver at risk in other ways.

Closed canopy it is then!

Closed canopy it is then!
That potentially has its own problems. How, for example, will the driver breathe? The sport is physically demanding to begin with, and the driver's face is covered by fireproof balaclava and helmet. They're also subject to intense g-forces throughout. All of this places stress on the body's cardiovascular system; a closed canopy will further limit the flow of air into the cockpit.

That potentially has its own problems. How, for example, will the driver breathe? The sport is physically demanding to begin with, and the driver's face is covered by fireproof balaclava and helmet. They're also subject to intense g-forces throughout. All of this places stress on the body's cardiovascular system; a closed canopy will further limit the flow of air into the cockpit.
I don't think that would be a major issue. LMP1 cars aren't that much slower, and drivers do longer stints. You could duct air into the cockpit. Or do a breathing system like on s fighter jet.

I think heat would be the bigger issue. Problems like Magnussen at Singapore '14 would be intensified. A full canopy would act like a greenhouse as well...Summer races would be hell.

Also, what about bugs? Can't exactly have drivers pulling tears-aways off a windscreen mid race...little more involved than a visor.

And would they require wipers?

The same way anyone else breathes inside of a closed top vehicle. :rolleyes:
Ever pulled high G loads in a closed cockpit with a rag over your mouth? I've flown in fighter jets, with a breathing aparatus, and it gets hard to catch a good breath at times.

It would be an issue for F1, but there are solutions. Not as simple as "open your mouth wider" though.

If they're going to be doing a completely closed canopy, it's going to be fighter jet tech. They won't need wipers for that.

Formula cars are not cut out for a canopy. End of. You would need a different format of vehicle for it.
Formula 1 cars, designed to the current formula, do not suit a canopy.

A Formula 1 car, designed to a formula which includes a canopy, would work, no different than today. And it would still be a F1 car, because it's a car designed to a specific formula, which is the formula for the fastest racing cars on earth; and we would still call them F1 cars, so they would be F1 cars.

Even if it were fit into the current formula, it could be done with only needing minor adjustments to the cockpit suroundings.

Let's just keep things in perspective here: Formula One has had one driver death in twenty years, and it was the result of a freak accident. There's a danger of over-reacting to it, and we need to remember that there is always going to be a set of circumstances resulting in a driver death regardless of the safety standards.

It's not like the racing in the "CSI: New York" episode guest starring Danica Patrick where drivers sustain multiple fractures from every accident (I happen to be watching it right now - it's the most unintentionally hilarious thing I have ever seen).

In actual constructor news going on right now, Pat Fry is another big name from former Ferrari to be going to Manor effective immediately. So they're hope is to gain enough info from testing with the new car and bring key updates or changes at Melbourne and start on a strong foot. I'm glad Manor are taking things seriously, and perhaps the leaving of their two senior members was for the better? Only time will tell.

So if Williams is where Former Ferrari drivers go to drive, does this make Manor the same in regards to former Ferrari Engineers?

Formula 1 cars, designed to the current formula, do not suit a canopy.

A Formula 1 car, designed to a formula which includes a canopy, would work, no different than today. And it would still be a F1 car, because it's a car designed to a specific formula, which is the formula for the fastest racing cars on earth; and we would still call them F1 cars, so they would be F1 cars.
Good job stating the obvious. Very enlightening.

Back