2016 Ford Focus RS (Price starts at £28,940/US$35,730)

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTboyz
  • 252 comments
  • 30,978 views
There's way too many ford focus Rs 500s, mk1s, mk2s In England. We don't need another one the other ones were perfect!
 
Focus RS to be AWD, Ecoboost and to come to the US.
Road&Track
We’ve been hearing rumors that the U.S. will get a Ford Focus RS super-hatch for months. Now we have some exclusive info on what's coming. A Ford source has confirmed to Road & Track that the next-generation Focus RS is likely to come to North America in extremely limited numbers. Unlike its predecessor, it'll be AWD.

The old car featured a turbocharged inline 5 pushing 305 hp to the front wheels through what Ford called the RevoKnuckle, to reduce what would otherwise be shoulder-dislocating torque steer. The new car wipes the board clean and starts over. In addition to AWD, the RS will be the only Focus to pack Ford's new 2.3-liter Ecoboost four-cylinder, available now in the Lincoln MKC and very soon in the 2015 Mustang.

Our source says that at this stage, the Focus RS horsepower numbers aren't finalized, and we don't know if it’ll pack the same Honeywell twin-scroll turbo as its stablemates. If we had to place a wager, we’d bet on near-Mustang power levels for the Focus RS, putting it well above the Focus ST in the pecking order.


UPDATE: We have additional details about the upcoming 2016 Focus RS from another trusted source, including power output, so let's start with that. With the Mustang GT's V8 holding down a 435 hp spot at the top of the Ford performance pecking order the Focus RS is free to turn up the horsepower wick. Since the 2.3-liter Ecoboost is easily capable of more than its 310 hp output in the Mustang, which was dictated more by fuel economy concerns than anything else, the RS is free to pump out between 325 and 350 hp. The higher figure is more likely. This is because as a low-volume, niche product that doesn't compete with the Mustang GT, there's no reason to hold the Focus RS back.

To put the power down, Ford will employ an entirely new AWD system intended for high-output applications. It's not the same systememployed on the Fusion, Escape, and MKZ. The new system will employ torque vectoring front and rear to aid handling, and after debuting in the Focus RS it will trickle down to other applications.
Road &Track
 
Agreed, and it being a AWD and having at least around 350hp is what I like a lot! :D Look out Subaru and Mitsubishi! :dopey:
 
attachment.php


That is all.
 
I saw some more spy video from the Nurburgring today and I swear I saw the rear of the car squatting when it came out of the corners, too much for a FWD car. And it's no surprise they would go AWD, I think they would already be the odd one out when the AWD Dart SRT4 comes around...

Edit: Here:

 
I just think a factory AWD Focus would be a tremendous start. A base if you will.

If Ford really gets cracking on it, great. But I'm sure the aftermarket would be frothing to work on a AWD Focus.


I'm very keen to see what happens.
 
I hope that putting AWD on the new Focus RS brings it up to par with hyper-hatch rivals like the A45 AMG and upcoming new Audi RS3 and Golf R400.

This new crop of super hot hatches look set to be the best yet.
 
I saw some more spy video from the Nurburgring today and I swear I saw the rear of the car squatting when it came out of the corners, too much for a FWD car. And it's no surprise they would go AWD, I think they would already be the odd one out when the AWD Dart SRT4 comes around...

Edit: Here:


Tires on the rear look a bit skinny to be driving the car as a proper awd would.
 
Tires on the rear look a bit skinny to be driving the car as a proper awd would.
Did not see the video the best, but the rears seem to be the same size as the front. The angle of the car going into the left hander shows the wheels in line with each other and it seems to appear the same size on the video. It would be awesome to awd on the RS, but I am not having my hopes up for it.
 
I hope that putting AWD on the new Focus RS brings it up to par with hyper-hatch rivals like the A45 AMG and upcoming new Audi RS3 and Golf R400.
Better. It's not gonna have haldex-type AWD slapped on as an afterthought to an FWD car. It's gonna be a proper AWD car from the start.
 
Better. It's not gonna have haldex-type AWD slapped on as an afterthought to an FWD car. It's gonna be a proper AWD car from the start.
That makes all the difference for some of us but in the U.S. it seems to be a small crowd who know or see the diffence with true awd and qausi-awd.

I wish I could link the d-max comparo of an sti and a s3, he really showed what the differce is between "awd" systems from the manufacturers tested.

Bottom line, if ford does this they need to do it right with the right differentials and drive-wheel priority to ensure its not just another vw/audi putting in the rwd when the fwd slips.
 
And it's no surprise they would go AWD, I think they would already be the odd one out when the AWD Dart SRT4 comes around...

Do we really expect the Dart SRT to be that great? I mean, sure, they've hit one out of the park with the Hellcat Challenger/Charger, but after mishandling the launch of the car itself two years ago, and the Dart GT largely being a disappointment, I'm personally not getting my hopes up. That being said... I do believe that Dodge is the dark horse in the segment for sure, and if anyone is going to make a scary-fast, "hot sedan" for cheap, it'll be them.

All of which makes me wish GM would get their crap together and do a proper hot Sonic or Cruze.
 
I would be in the market for this if it is a 5 door.
 
Better. It's not gonna have haldex-type AWD slapped on as an afterthought to an FWD car. It's gonna be a proper AWD car from the start.

The Golf Rs Haldex is absolutely class leading stuff, you get put 100 percent of the torque to the front or Back wheels.
 
The Golf Rs Haldex is absolutely class leading stuff, you get put 100 percent of the torque to the front or Back wheels.
That's what they said about the mk6, but wasn't it only able to send 50% max to the rear.
 
That's what they said about the mk6, but wasn't it only able to send 50% max to the rear.
Mk6 could only do 50%, Mk7 can put 100%.

Thats why you can see countless videos of people drifting them..
 
Back