2016 Ford Focus RS (Price starts at £28,940/US$35,730)

• Thread starter GTboyz
  • 252 comments
First review drives are rolling in. And finally I found out how much it weighs. Would you believe me if I told you that it's 1599kg/3525lbs? Makes me wonder about the weight distribution too..

Doesn't really surprise me, my Focus is a fatass and throwing in a larger engine with a turbo and an AWD system isn't going to help that one bit. The chubbiness was one of my main complaints of the Focus when I first bought mine back in 2011, but I suppose now days it should be expected for cars to be porkers.

c7oPq8x.jpg

I was really amazed at how poorly this car received at the auto show. For something with so much internet hype, almost nobody gave a crap about it. They didn't even stop to look. I think the hot hatch is dead in America. Even the boy racers are barely looking at GTIs anymore. Stupid kids seem more apt these days to spend their cash on Bro trucks.

c7oPq8x.jpg

I was really amazed at how poorly this car received at the auto show. For something with so much internet hype, almost nobody gave a crap about it. They didn't even stop to look. I think the hot hatch is dead in America. Even the boy racers are barely looking at GTIs anymore. Stupid kids seem more apt these days to spend their cash on Bro trucks.
I remember seeing it over at my auto show and these two dudebros kept talking about how "Ford is ripping off Mitsubishi."

Doesn't really surprise me, my Focus is a fatass and throwing in a larger engine with a turbo and an AWD system isn't going to help that one bit. The chubbiness was one of my main complaints of the Focus when I first bought mine back in 2011, but I suppose now days it should be expected for cars to be porkers.
Well there is the 308 GTI

c7oPq8x.jpg

Which is why I make fun of my 48 year old father for owning a lifted 2012 GMC Sierra on KMC XD's, though ironically he does like this car (not surprising since he owned an SRT4 Neon). So I don't see why there couldn't be mutual love for both...priorities I suppose.

I remember seeing it over at my auto show and these two dudebros kept talking about how "Ford is ripping off Mitsubishi."

Wow I'm sorry you had to hear that then...so many problems with that statement alone.

Which is why I make fun of my 48 year old father for owning a lifted 2012 GMC Sierra on KMC XD's, though ironically he does like this car (not surprising since he owned an SRT4 Neon). So I don't see why there couldn't be mutual love for both...priorities I suppose.

Wow I'm sorry you had to hear that then...so many problems with that statement alone.
I'm glad i'm not there.

It would took every fiber of my being to not try to yell at them :lol:
These guys were everywhere, with professional level cameras and whatnot, but they constantly compared cars to older Japanese cars, mostly Civic Type-R's.

Very cringeworthy to hear them at times.

c7oPq8x.jpg

It's sad but true really. I currently own a Ford Fiesta ST, have had it about a year now but I have only ever seen two other Fiesta STs on the road yet. I've noticed the same with Mk7 GTIs, just don't see them. Or new Minis, or Abarths or Focus STs. For such cheap fun cars you think you'd see them more.

In CT, however, the "bro" trucks or "brodozers" as I like to call them are much more common. :banghead:

How much longer are Ford going to continue with the catfish front end treatment? Bad enough it is five door, I haven't read to find out if a three door version will happen, but that front end hit every branch of the ugly tree. Now, I am for the majority a GM guy and try not to like Fords (damn you Mustang and GT) but I have seen the previous RS and the special edition RS500 in the flesh and they are infiniately better looking that this new model.

I drove the Focus RS today. Blue looks much better in real life.

This car is suprisingly more comfortable than I thought. The Recaro seats are almost perfect. A body builder needs to find another solution though because he doesn't fit in the Recaros.

I was surprised that the acceleration was not as impressive as I expected. Don't get me wrong, this car is fast but I guess that it weighs too much for the 440 Nm. There is still a noticable turbo lag below the 2500 RPM.

The sound though is very, very nice. This car really sounds nice sound when you rev the engine.

The steering in normal mode was direct and the more I turned the wheel the less I had to turn the wheel to get the car around a corner. Almost like the Alfa 4C.

DSCN4398_zpspn0kmz22.jpg

Last edited:
Well, maybe some weight reduction and aftermarket turbo would fix all that...

No news on that rumoured lighter, hardcore RS huh ?

Last edited:
The Focus RS has a drift button, the regular Focus doesn't. Makes it a completely different car! :sly:

The rest of Europe will also receive 4000 units – as with the Mk2 Focus RS – but Ford predicts North America to be its biggest single market, with close to 10,000 units already sold.
I'm really curious on what the mark up will be for some of those 10,000 units. Ford dealers are some of the worst offenders of tacking on "market adjustment" values onto the hottest models for a quick profit.

I could see very early models with a $4-8k "Market Adjustment" in some parts of the country, but I doubt it would last all that long. As far as I can tell with TrueCar, it looks like the RS' most-direct competitors, the Subaru STi and Volkswagen Golf R both offer very little in the way of negotiated pricing. Unless the RS is a complete flop, I'd expect it to maintain the same headway as those.

Well, maybe some weight reduction and aftermarket turbo would fix all that...

No news on that rumoured lighter, hardcore RS huh ?

I think the issues is the amount of boost they're probably running for the power they wanted to obtain out of such a small displacement. I think if I knew the exact size of the turbo, that helps tell the story as well. Anti-lag systems aren't to expensive these days I think (ECU controller may help this too), but I wonder if that'd void the warranty.

Last edited:
I think the issues is the amount of boost they're probably running for the power they wanted to obtain out of such a small displacement. I think if I knew the exact size of the turbo, that helps tell the story as well. Anti-lag systems aren't to expensive these days I think (ECU controller may help this too), but I wonder if that'd void the warranty.
Stock turbo and internals are good for ~500bhp according to MAPerformance, who offer turbo upgrade kit for the Ecoboost Mustang. It's not the boost that is the issue, but the narrow band sensors Ford used for monitoring the O2 etc. There's already 700bhp+ Boostangs out there, and naturally they have swapped the turbo.

So, considering that Focus RS already has bigger turbo and some other components that the Ecoboost Mustang doesn't, I don't think they need to tinker with the motor that much to get more power out of it.

Stock turbo and internals are good for ~500bhp according to MAPerformance, who offer turbo upgrade kit for the Ecoboost Mustang. It's not the boost that is the issue, but the narrow band sensors Ford used for monitoring the O2 etc. There's already 700bhp+ Boostangs out there, and naturally they have swapped the turbo.

So, considering that Focus RS already has bigger turbo and some other components that the Ecoboost Mustang doesn't, I don't think they need to tinker with the motor that much to get more power out of it.

I've seen them, just cause they exist doesn't mean they necessarily are that simple, on stock internals. Like I said what Ford are trying to extract showroom wise and still pass various international safety standards is different than the guy who bought the car to build it. The point is it's probably got the low end lag due to setup. It wasn't a question of getting power out of it, more so how to eliminate lag in the stock car.

Back