2016 Formula 1 British Grand Prix

Not really sure what the winner is supposed to say about the guy in second who started there in the best car. Well done for not being able to beat me? About the only thing that would make sense is to congratulate him on passing Max but even that would be a little condescending.
Maybe something about putting up a good fight at a time when he's under increased pressure and scrutiny?

Not really sure what the winner is supposed to say about the guy in second who started there in the best car. Well done for not being able to beat me? About the only thing that would make sense is to congratulate him on passing Max but even that would be a little condescending.

In fairness when the track was wet, the great leveler, Max was fastest driver out there, once it dried the Mercs were Class A cars again. But that boy Max is a bit good and dare I say it in equal machinery he'd be beating Lewis.

Also ,I'll be honest I've come to this thread late and not read back, so sorry if its been covered, but do we as a whole just accept that F1 can't start a race normally if its wet anymore? The point where they are saying "we need inters" as they trundle behind a safety car is in my eyes daft, even worse when I follow all sorts of Motorsport ad not just F1 so knowing what the guys on 2 wheels do, well it is embarrassing IMO..

Maybe something about putting up a good fight at a time when he's under increased pressure and scrutiny?

Only people Leiws and Nico should thank are Merc, and to be fair they do mostly, well done to Lewis thanking the team after the win, without them he knows deep down he could be like Alonso feels right now...

Last edited by a moderator:
About only f1, leMans started behind the safety car too and they got massive fan and drivers critics too. I'm all for safety but making the car start behind the safety car is not appropriate, make them do 2 installation lap so they can see where the puddle are and the let them start normally. They are professional drivers payed millions, they should be able to drive a car in those situations. I don't say Malaysia conditions when theres water all over the track but we were far from that.

Yes , Nico isn't as good as Lewis and doesn't have the raw ability of say a Max or Lewis but in truth the man can hold his head high for keeping it so close between the two at the front in the 2 class A cars.
Frankly listening to Webber and DC warble on during the GP about Nico when Nico is clearly a class above the both of them, certainly his F1 CV walks all over them both, Webbers record at Red Bull against Vettel is embarrassing.

Don't think there is anything much between Lewis and Nico to be honest. As we've seen several times, Lewis has a physiological edge but Nico is getting better at that.

Only people Leiws and Nico should thank are Merc, and to be fair they do mostly, well done to Lewis thanking the team after the win, without them he knows deep down he could be like Alonso feels right now...
Going by that logic, Hamilton should have thanked Charlie Whiting for starting the race under the safety car and gifting him an easy win.

Sure, Hamilton doesn't have to acknowledge Rosberg, but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't. Their relationship has been under increased scrutiny, and not simply because of Austria - look at Sky's introductory video, which recounted every altercation between them, starting with Hamilton defying team orders in Hungary in 2014. Some kind of public, token gesture to allay doubts over the state of their relationship would go a long way towards shifting the focus onto the racing.

This was driving me a bit crazy the whole race! Someone explain to my why all the kerbs were grey and black?? I still saw red for the sausage/speedbump kerbs, but the rest had me thinking I was now somehow colorblind! Is it a special feature with the paint? Or was it simply weird camera trickery?

So it seems the instruction to go to a default mode was ok because it prevented imminent failure but the message to avoid 7th is under question because it wasn't preventing imminent failure, it was a driver instruction to help the car to the end. At least, that is what they're deciding on I believe.

For Mercedes they probably feel it was worth the gamble. They say nothing and it's DNF, they give him the instruction and you would assume as worst he's going to be 4th with a 20s penalty.

I think the black and white (?) looks great.

Did Rosberg get a penalty yet?

Christian Horner said "No, it's against the rules of course!" directly into Niki Lauda's and that other Mercedes guy's faces when asked by German TV, if the team radio was legal. Surely it's against the rules then?

Someone just posted on Twitter that Rosberg just left the stewards room...

Makes sense, he was summoned at 4pm. Decision should be in the next hour or so.

t3_4s5mgs
Brundle confirms it was the 7th gear messages that are the possible issue.

Last edited:
This was driving me a bit crazy the whole race! Someone explain to my why all the kerbs were grey and black?

One of the stranger explanations from Silverstone was that it saves money; only the white needs to be repainted whereas if they were red and white both parts would need repainting.

Missed the race thanks to an ACT and forgot to record it. Anyone have a quick rundown of what happened? I saw the results. Any major things go on in the race/ post race?

Was the race really that bad that we are talking about the colour of the kerbs?! :lol:

Maybe it's my autism but the change in kerb colour hit me in the face like a brick :)

Missed the race thanks to an ACT and forgot to record it. Anyone have a quick rundown of what happened?

Rosberg had a problem was told which gear to avoid thereby breaking the "alone and unaided" rule, the stewards are still out on any penalty.

Hamilton's fault.

They need to rethink this rule on radio transmissions - why not just have a ban on relaying information about other drivers but let teams help out when a technical issue crops up?

Also, I thought the penalties for breaching track limits were bizarre - either stick to the rule (of respecting the track limits) or don't... this halfway house of letting drivers go over the track limits in some places and not others didn't make any sense.

I was very disappointed by today's race - the safety car start was infuriating and dangerous in its own right, and the race itself was dull, barring Verstappen's excellent drive. But considering Silverstone and the British GP is supposedly one of the 'jewels in the crown' of F1, it was a pretty lousy spectacle.

It doesn't make any sense to prohibit a driver from communicating to his team about a car that is increasingly advanced and complicated with every year.

What's the point of having all these sensors and indicators in the pitbox when they aren't allowed to use it anyway?

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to watch F1 anymore.

Penalizing Nico for the skip 7th is daft, how is he supposed to figure that out by himself, also him doing so costs him time and stops the failure from happening.

Penalizing Nico for the skip 7th is daft, how is he supposed to figure that out by himself, also him doing so costs him time and stops the failure from happening.
Same way Hamilton had to figure out his issue at Baku when the pit said they couldn't help him I guess.

I think we all agree that the pit wall telling drivers where to brake, what gear to use through corners should not be allowed yet how to work some of the complex systems on the car should be allowed. But where do you draw the line. That could be argued til the cows come home without us all agreeing. So I guess the easiest compromise is just to let all of it happen or none of it.

All of this radio nonsense comes down to the little troll and his FOM broadcast team creating whatever narrative they like for each episode of this week in F1. Nobody would care about coaching over the radio if FOM didnt make a point or airing those conversations.

All of this radio nonsense comes down to the little troll and his FOM broadcast team creating whatever narrative they like for each episode of this week in F1. Nobody would care about coaching over the radio if FOM didnt make a point or airing those conversations.

The transmissions are all available to the teams and broadcasters though, its not like just the ones on the world feed get heard. You can hate the little troll but you wouldn't have had any F1 to watch without him...

Same way Hamilton had to figure out his issue at Baku when the pit said they couldn't help him I guess.

I think we all agree that the pit wall telling drivers where to brake, what gear to use through corners should not be allowed yet how to work some of the complex systems on the car should be allowed. But where do you draw the line. That could be argued til the cows come home without us all agreeing. So I guess the easiest compromise is just to let all of it happen or none of it.

Both should be told what to do, daft rule in both occasions.

If Nico wouldn't have been told to skip 7th than two things would have happened a gearbox failure or him driving normally and finishing second, he got a penalty for not retiring is how I see it.

Both should be told what to do, daft rule in both occasions.

If Nico wouldn't have been told to skip 7th than two things would have happened a gearbox failure or him driving normally and finishing second, he got a penalty for not retiring is how I see it.
I don't disagree with you but like I said where do you draw the line and more importantly how do you get every one to agree where to draw the line?

In this case it's clear; telling the driver to select a reset mode to save the car from breaking is okay. Telling him which gears to select isn't.

View attachment 567097

So was he supposed to guess which gear should he skip? Or should he just drive normally and hope the gearbox won't fail?
I don't disagree with you but like I said where do you draw the line and more importantly how do you get every one to agree where to draw the line?

I feel Hamilton,Perez and Nico are examples of situations where teams should help their drivers, what's fun about seeing a driver stuck in a slow mode or not knowing how to nurse a failing gearbox.

In this case it's clear; telling the driver to select a reset mode to save the car from breaking is okay. Telling him which gears to select isn't.

View attachment 567097
Currently they can be instructed on grounds of car or event safety, which I think we all agree with. However, we were discussing allowing communication that aren't on the grounds of safety. My question is how to get agreement on what is acceptable when safety is not the concern?[/QUOTE]

Started wet, slowly went dry, most of the grid got ruined by pitting before the VSC and Hamilton won.
Brilliant overtake by Verstappen on a struggling Rosberg in the wet. Rosberg regaining second place near the end of the race. Mercedes telling Rosberg to avoid "7th gear" and to use "default settings", Rosberg gets a penalty, lands on 3rd place instead of 2nd, Max Verstappen takes 2nd place. Hamilton's fault.

They need to rethink this rule on radio transmissions - why not just have a ban on relaying information about other drivers but let teams help out when a technical issue crops up?

Also, I thought the penalties for breaching track limits were bizarre - either stick to the rule (of respecting the track limits) or don't... this halfway house of letting drivers go over the track limits in some places and not others didn't make any sense.

I was very disappointed by today's race - the safety car start was infuriating and dangerous in its own right, and the race itself was dull, barring Verstappen's excellent drive. But considering Silverstone and the British GP is supposedly one of the 'jewels in the crown' of F1, it was a pretty lousy spectacle.

I completely agree with you about the rules, they're dumb, the teams should be allowed to tell the drivers about the condition of the cars, it's also always a potential security risk to having a failing car, so a warning and a way to fix it would be appropriate to be allowed, they just shouldn't be told how to drive the car and about positions of the other drivers, I think that should be allowed, too, don't they have pit signs for that anyway or is this disallowed, too now?

I thought the race was pretty good though, not as good as the last, but still. Only Hamilton taking the win almost effortlessly was a bit boring (but expected).

I think they should have had the race starting after the second SC lap however, that was way too long.
But I see why they did start under SC, especially because of how slippery the first corner was, I'm sure the stewards or whoever responsible knew about that.

Latest Posts

Back